PDA

View Full Version : What is best site to download music?

Steeler in Carolina
01-01-2008, 03:46 PM
I was just curious what everyone does for music downloads? I know with all the legal issues it can be a touchy subject. I've used Limewire in the past. Is it legal to still use this site? What are some of the best legal sites?

nojobny
01-01-2008, 04:32 PM
We've always used Limewire. I think the feds shut down some of the other ones.

Mosca
01-01-2008, 05:00 PM
The best legal site that I know of is Rhapsody. For $13/mo you get unlimited access to their library, with transfer rights to portable devices. You don't get burning rights unless you buy the tracks, but CDs are dying.

The best full access site is probably eMusic. It's relatively inexpensive. You won't find much mainstream stuff there, but it's got everything you'd want from the fringes of music.

There are no legal free sites. I tried some of the Russian sites, but I was uncomfortable giving my credit card information to them. And download quality was spotty; some stuff that was supposedly 192 was actually 128, but who you gonna complain to?

ShutDown24
01-01-2008, 05:02 PM
For illegal, use Limewire or Pirate Bay (Torrent).

For legal, use Rhapsody.

Preacher
01-01-2008, 05:51 PM
The best legal site that I know of is Rhapsody. For $13/mo you get unlimited access to their library, with transfer rights to portable devices. You don't get burning rights unless you buy the tracks, but CDs are dying.

The best full access site is probably eMusic. It's relatively inexpensive. You won't find much mainstream stuff there, but it's got everything you'd want from the fringes of music.

There are no legal free sites. I tried some of the Russian sites, but I was uncomfortable giving my credit card information to them. And download quality was spotty; some stuff that was supposedly 192 was actually 128, but who you gonna complain to?

I use that site. it is now called Alltunes. It is actually very good. I have never had a problem with my credit card and get great download quality.

The only problem with it, is that there are a lot of legal issues between the American Recording industry and the Russian Copyrights. What is happening, is the Russian site is selling the music under Russian law, but it the price which it is selling it... and being downloaded back in America, is causing serious issues with the recording companies, because it is pennies on the dollar. Thus, the argument is with the Russian law and the record companies, not the individuals.

However, once I use up my account, I am going to cease using it until it is worked out.

Steeler in Carolina
01-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the info, I think I will give Rhapsody a try. I am getting paranoid about using Limewire with all the legal issues, plus I kind of feel guilty download something for free or illegal.

Mikee
01-02-2008, 12:03 AM
I use iTunes and Amazon. If I purchase it legally :)

Dynasty
01-03-2008, 01:23 AM
limewire, bittorrent (various sites), and itunes... also I rip a lot of CDs

revefsreleets
01-03-2008, 09:18 AM
I tried eMusic for a month, but a lot of the music is pretty obscure and available elsewhere. I'd say it's a good site for someone with eclectic musical tastes and a whole lotta free time, and I only fit the former.

I've been using Limewire and I have found everything I've looked for so far.

Steeldude
01-12-2008, 09:05 AM
i haven't any problems with the russian sites. i also have limewire.

rhapsody has a small selection. i had to cancel my subscription because the new version no longer works. calling customer support is useless because they are in india. which is the reason i will never buy a dell product again.

Rhee Rhee
01-13-2008, 04:14 AM
I was just curious what everyone does for music downloads? I know with all the legal issues it can be a touchy subject. I've used Limewire in the past. Is it legal to still use this site? What are some of the best legal sites?

jamglue is quick and easy... just go to jamglue.com