PDA

View Full Version : Steelers / WVU

SteelDogFan
01-03-2008, 10:11 AM
I know their are alot of Pitt fans here but I also know there are alot of West virginia fans also. I going to make a coach comparison.

The only reason WVU won that game in the second have is the fact that on offense they did not keep running the the same scheme. Besides the touchdown pass the two big scoring plays were run out of the I FORNMATION. WVU is known for it spread offesnse. But because the interm coach realized OU was stuffing that he frequently put pat white under center with a fullback.

The Jags are going to stack the line on the Steelers and if Arians does not recognize that a fullback in needed to pick up LBs shooting the gaps it will be a long day for davenport and Ben.

Also would like to say congrats to the Moutaineers who were not picked by any state (ESPN Poll) to win the Fiesta Bowl. All the states were colored red except WV colored blue, Owen brought that to my attention. Now if the Steelers smack the Jags in the mouth that would be great.

Go Steelers/Mountaineers!!

Jeremy
01-03-2008, 10:13 AM
It just shows that America doesn't know as much about football (or sports) as they think they do. I can just imagine some of the idiots who call in to shows like Jim Rome and Dan Patrick just pulling their hair out as their amateur prognostications came crumbling down and Oklahoma got smacked right in the mouth by a "weak Big East" team.

steel58
01-03-2008, 10:31 AM
I wish I had one of those sports jobs. These guys are wrong all the time, then forget it next week like it never happened and do it all over again. They then write weekly coumns that p**s people off and laugh about it all the way to the bank.

Back to the Steelers..... They definitely need to be a little more unpredictable to beat the Jags. If it is changing entire offense formations from 5 wide to I - Formation , then shotgun, then 1 back, then whatever, then running a 3-4 then a 4-3 on defense, so be it. A lot of talent on this team is getting older and we need at least 1 more Super Bowl before we have to retool!

lilyoder6
01-03-2008, 10:34 AM
WVU just smacked the sh.. out of OU.. and owen did a fine job in that game

Jeremy
01-03-2008, 10:34 AM
I wish I had one of those sports jobs. These guys are wrong all the time, then forget it next week like it never happened and do it all over again. They then write weekly coumns that p**s people off and laugh about it all the way to the bank.

Back to the Steelers..... They definitely need to be a little more unpredictable to beat the Jags. If it is changing entire offense formations from 5 wide to I - Formation , then shotgun, then 1 back, then whatever, then running a 3-4 then a 4-3 on defense, so be it. A lot of talent on this team is getting older and we need at least 1 more Super Bowl before we have to retool!

I disagree. I think the retooling is going to start this off season. The offensive line will have a whole new look next season and we'll probably see more 4-3 defense next season as Tomlin becomes more confident with his leadership and starts moving more towards the Tampa 2.

In the NFL, teams retool from year to year. You don't often see teams stand pat from one season to the next. They're always looking to get stronger and faster.

STEELtownHAVOX
01-03-2008, 10:44 AM
yeh i'm one of those Steelers/WVU fans. nice game last night...now Steelers, lets beat the Jags

Lord Stiller
01-03-2008, 11:09 AM
here's a comparison for you

Penn State >>> Pitt and WVU combined :smile:

Jeremy
01-03-2008, 11:17 AM
here's a comparison for you

Penn State >>> Pitt and WVU combined :smile:

LOL

You wish.

Dino 6 Rings
01-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Penn State is the most over rated over hyped program in all of college football.

I got one for you PSU Fan...12-0. Mean anything? You effing cowards are afraid to play us and get shut out again.

GO PITT

LETS GO STEELERS!!!

As for stategy, I will guess that Jack Del Rio is going to over think himself, and guess that we are going to try to stuff the run first, so he'll come out throwing the ball off play action pass very early on. I also anticipate Dick L will know this, and will be prepared with a run blitz fake, CB Saftey coverage that tricks Gerrard into making a very bad throw early, and once we get the momentum, we keep it.

Dino 6 Rings
01-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Oh, and as for WVU, great game guys, you really played to your fullest potential and gutted out a fantastic game in all 3 phases. It was great to watch a Big East team thump a Big 12 team. Hats off to you...a Rival I actually respect.

Jeremy
01-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Penn State is the most over rated over hyped program in all of college football.

I got one for you PSU Fan...12-0. Mean anything? You effing cowards are afraid to play us and get shut out again.

GO PITT

LETS GO STEELERS!!!

As for stategy, I will guess that Jack Del Rio is going to over think himself, and guess that we are going to try to stuff the run first, so he'll come out throwing the ball off play action pass very early on. I also anticipate Dick L will know this, and will be prepared with a run blitz fake, CB Saftey coverage that tricks Gerrard into making a very bad throw early, and once we get the momentum, we keep it.

I think is oversimplifying it a little bit.

Penn State isn't overrated, but I also don't believe that they're among the elite teams in college football. And as much as I like him, Joe Paterno is the reason they'll continue to be a step behind Ohio State and Michigan in the Big Ten.

Dino 6 Rings
01-03-2008, 12:31 PM
They are too over rated. They get too much love from ESPN and the like because they worship Joe crap pants when really, how many titles has he won? 1-1/2 in 40 something years? Yet, they are always considered an elite program. They are over rated. Every Year.

I look forward to his retirement just to get them back on Pitt's schedule and we can resume the annual Rivalry game that he is scared of playing because he doesn't want kids from Eastern PA leaving for Western PA come committment time.

Jeremy
01-03-2008, 12:35 PM
They are too over rated. They get too much love from ESPN and the like because they worship Joe crap pants when really, how many titles has he won? 1-1/2 in 40 something years? Yet, they are always considered an elite program. They are over rated. Every Year.

I look forward to his retirement just to get them back on Pitt's schedule and we can resume the annual Rivalry game that he is scared of playing because he doesn't want kids from Eastern PA leaving for Western PA come committment time.

If Penn State is overrated, than so are a lot of other programs in America. Not many teams can claim more National Titles than Penn State in the last 25 years.

Dino 6 Rings
01-03-2008, 12:40 PM
HA! WRONG!

They won 1 in 86 and 1/2 of 1 in 82.

I'm NOT Impressed!

Jeremy
01-03-2008, 01:06 PM
How many teams have won multiple titles since 1982?

fansince'76
01-03-2008, 01:21 PM
HA! WRONG!

They won 1 in 86 and 1/2 of 1 in 82.

I'm NOT Impressed!

To be fair, Paterno had 3 undefeated teams in the late 60s-early '70s that were snubbed from National Championship consideration. 11-0 in '68 and '69, 12-0 in '73 (In '73, Alabama and ND shared the title - ND was 11-0 and Alabama was 11-1 that year - talk about getting screwed over). Not to mention the 12-0 team in '94. It's not like he couldn't have several more - I blame the sportswriters for that, not Paterno.

Lord Stiller
01-03-2008, 02:04 PM
They won 2 in the 80's and should have won in 94. That 94 team was one of the best teams in NCAA history

Pitt has nothing on Penn State. Pitt has been an embarassment like 18 out of the last 20 years. When's the last time Pitt won a major bowl game? The Marino days?

Big7BenHOF
01-03-2008, 03:33 PM
...Go Gators!

Dino 6 Rings
01-03-2008, 05:08 PM
They won 2 in the 80's and should have won in 94. That 94 team was one of the best teams in NCAA history

Pitt has nothing on Penn State. Pitt has been an embarassment like 18 out of the last 20 years. When's the last time Pitt won a major bowl game? The Marino days?

1994 Penn State team Played TEMPLE...They don't deserve to be mentioned as great. Funny that same year they avoided playing their Rival, PITT.

Rivalry games mean everything, just ask Lloyd Carr at Michigan, or even WVU who missed out on the National Title game. Something Joe Pa fears. Losing his rivalry game when it matters most.

lilyoder6
01-03-2008, 05:27 PM
joe pa has coached in 500 games.. only 1 other coach did so.. 372 career victories one behind bowden.. . as penn st coach 34 bowl appearences most in history.. tell me how with those records how penn st is over-rated???? they produced couple of good players in the nfl..... there DEF has been the one of the best in the NCAA for the past couple of years... and i would have to say that they HAVE the BEST receiving core in the NCAA..

Dino 6 Rings
01-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Yes, Penn State is very loyal to that old guy. Keeping a coach that long is very unheard of on any level, except maybe souther highschool football. 34 Bowl appearances as a TEAM isn't a record, as a coach it is, so if any coach stayed at their job for 50 years, they'd be in that many bowls. For the record, I am a hater, but I will give the Most Wins nod to Joe Pa, Bowden coached Samford for 10 years and those wins shouldn't count.

Best Receiving core in the NCAA? That's just not an accurate statement. They don't even have a reciever in the top 100 of receivers in the NCAA this season. Seriously. Look it up. Morelli is 45th in the NCAA in passing yards.

Dino 6 Rings
01-03-2008, 05:36 PM
They are Over Rated. They get more air time then they deserve, start ranked higher then they should almost every season and are given more credit for a wins over bad teams then they deserve.

Dino 6 Rings
01-03-2008, 05:37 PM
PSU has a great Marketing Team. That's It.

lilyoder6
01-03-2008, 05:46 PM
yes morelli blows.... look when they had the run with micheal robinson when they were freshman... they were tearing up def.. left and right...

lilyoder6
01-03-2008, 05:47 PM
they have the depth.. the speed and the talent to do great things... they just need a QB...

Dino 6 Rings
01-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Thought Morelli was supposed to be "the man" this year?

Anyway...off topic. I'll never show PSU respect until those cowards stop insisting on a 2-1 home away and play us again straight up, home and home and put us back on their schedule instead of Temple or Syracuse. They'll play other Big East teams but not us, it has nothing to do with "fans in seats" or anything of that nature, it has to do with Fear of losing a Rivalry Game. And that's that.

lilyoder6
01-03-2008, 06:01 PM
i thought morelli was shit last yr.. when he showed greatness one week and then next week play like horrible..... i think instead of them determining who plays who.. i think they need to get a championship game for both conf... .. and i think McCoy is going to be insane at pitt... same with webster at LB...

MasterOfPuppets
01-03-2008, 06:02 PM
If Penn State is overrated, than so are a lot of other programs in America. Not many teams can claim more National Titles than Penn State in the last 25 years.

Georgia
12-0-0
Won Sugar
Vince Dooley

Clemson
12-0-0
Won Orange
Danny Ford

Penn State
11-1-0
Won Sugar
Joe Paterno

Miami (FL)
11-1-0
Won Orange
Howard Schnellenberger

BYU
13-0-0
Won Holiday
LaVell Edwards

Oklahoma
11-1-0
Won Orange
Barry Switzer

Penn State
12-0-0
Won Fiesta
Joe Paterno

Miami (FL)
12-0-0
Won Orange
Jimmy Johnson

Notre Dame
12-0-0
Won Fiesta
Lou Holtz

Miami (FL)
11-1-0
Won Sugar
Dennis Erickson

Colorado
11-1-1
Won Orange
Bill McCartney

Georgia Tech (UPI)
11-0-1
Won Citrus
Bobby Ross

Miami (FL)
12-0-0
Won Orange
Dennis Erickson

Washington (CNN)
12-0-0
Won Rose
Don James

Alabama
13-0-0
Won Sugar
Gene Stallings

Florida State
12-1-0
Won Orange
Bobby Bowden

Nebraska
13-0-0
Won Orange
Tom Osborne

Nebraska
12-0-0
Won Fiesta
Tom Osborne

?1996
Florida
12?1
Won Sugar
Steve Spurrier

Michigan
12?0
Won Rose
Lloyd Carr

Nebraska (ESPN)
13?0
Won Orange
Tom Osborne

Tennessee
13?0
Won Fiesta
Phillip Fulmer

Florida State
12-0
Won Sugar
Bobby Bowden

Oklahoma
13-0
Won Orange
Bob Stoops

Miami (FL)
12-0
Won Rose
Larry Coker

Ohio State
14-0
Won Fiesta
Jim Tressel

LSU (BCS)
13-1
Won Sugar
Nick Saban

USC (AP)
12-1
Won Rose
Pete Carroll

USC
13-0
Won Orange
Pete Carroll

Texas
13-0
Won Rose
Mack Brown

2006**
Florida defeated Ohio State
41-14
Won BCS National Championship Game
Urban Meyer

http://football.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&sdn=football&cdn=sports&tm=11&gps=67_115_1002_578&f=00&tt=14&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.rauzulusstreet.com/football/college/collegechampionship.htm

Lord Stiller
01-03-2008, 09:39 PM
1994 Penn State team Played TEMPLE...They don't deserve to be mentioned as great. Funny that same year they avoided playing their Rival, PITT.

Why would we waste our time playing $hitty Pitt? Instead we have played Miami, Nebraska and Notre Dame

Rhee Rhee
01-04-2008, 03:26 AM
psh noel devine was incredible in that game... havent seen a faster back in my life..

Jeremy
01-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Some of you guys need to get a grip.

Lord Stiller
01-04-2008, 09:36 AM
psh noel devine was incredible in that game... havent seen a faster back in my life..

Yes, that kid is going to be a collegiate superstar for the next 3 years

lilyoder6
01-04-2008, 11:15 AM
he has a Wikipedia about him... damn... and i beleive in one of those 2000 yrs was a shared BCS nation champs

Lord Stiller
01-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Home game at Penn State against any opponent: 108,000+ fans

Home game at Pitt against any opponent besides WVU or ND: 20-30k fans

Pitt fans are so pathetic

Penn State's fanbase is like the Steelers fanbase, vast and plentiful; whereas the Pitt fanbase is comparable to say the Jags or Ratbirds fanbase, weak and pathetic

fansince'76
01-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Penn State's fanbase is like the Steelers fanbase, vast and plentiful; whereas the Pitt fanbase is comparable to say the Jags or Ratbirds fanbase, weak and pathetic

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/mke/img/feb06/wheniwas02a_125.jpg

You're all worthless and weak!

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

Dino 6 Rings
01-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Why would we waste our time playing $hitty Pitt? Instead we have played Miami, Nebraska and Notre Dame

In the year in question, 1994, Penn State didn't Play Pitt, or Miami, or Notre Dame, they had an out of conference schedule with 1 ok game, against at the time a mediocre USC team, Temple and a horrible Rutgers team.

And as for playing Miami, Nebraska or Notre Dame...
2003, they played Temple, Boston College (loss) at Nebraska (loss) and Kent State
2004, they played Akron, at BC (loss) and UCF
2005, they played South Florida, Cincy, and Central Mich
2006, they played Akron, ND (loss) Youngstown State, and Temple
2007, They played Florida International, Notre Dame, Buffalo and Temple again.

Yeah, no room for the instate Rival in that mess I guess.