PDA

View Full Version : Titans-Colts agreement collusion fears

SGrogan
01-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Titans-Colts ‘agreement’ raises collusion fears
QB says Indy coaches told Tennessee they wouldn't call TO to force punt

MSNBC News Services
updated 23 minutes ago

Did Indianapolis Colts and Tennessee Titans coaches have an under-the-table agreement at the end of last Sunday's game?

Tennessee quarterback Kerry Collins said on WFAN Radio that the Titans kneeled at the end of the game Sunday because they knew the Colts wouldn't call a timeout, Rotoworld.com reported Thursday.

With Tennessee leading 16-10 and needing a victory to make the playoffs, the Titans had originally called a running play, Collins said, Rotoworld reported. But the team changed to a kneeldown when he was told over his headset that the Colts wouldn't call a timeout, which would have possibly forced the Titans to punt with less than 20 seconds left in the game, Collins said, Rotoworld reported.

The Colts and Titans coaches had "an agreement," Collins said on WFAN, Rotoworld reported.

If true, the Cleveland Browns could possibly file a grievance alleging collusion, which is against NFL rules. The Browns would have made the playoffs if the Titans had lost.
Very interesting indeed...Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22487240/.

Jeremy
01-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Titans-Colts ?agreement? raises collusion fears

MSNBC News Services
updated 23 minutes ago

Did Indianapolis Colts and Tennessee Titans coaches have an under-the-table agreement at the end of last Sunday's game?

Tennessee quarterback Kerry Collins said on WFAN Radio that the Titans kneeled at the end of the game Sunday because they knew the Colts wouldn't call a timeout, Rotoworld.com reported Thursday.

With Tennessee leading 16-10 and needing a victory to make the playoffs, the Titans had originally called a running play, Collins said, Rotoworld reported. But the team changed to a kneeldown when he was told over his headset that the Colts wouldn't call a timeout, which would have possibly forced the Titans to punt with less than 20 seconds left in the game, Collins said, Rotoworld reported.

The Colts and Titans coaches had "an agreement," Collins said on WFAN, Rotoworld reported.

If true, the Cleveland Browns could possibly file a grievance alleging collusion, which is against NFL rules. The Browns would have made the playoffs if the Titans had lost.
Very interesting indeed...Source msnbc.msn.com/id/22487240/..Sorry i cant post links yet just complete the URL

It'll be a hefty fine for both teams and maybe a loss of draft picks if they can prove it happened.

stlrtruck
01-03-2008, 11:08 AM
And I guess ridding one's self of video tapes and notes of 31 other teams is ok?

If these two teams get an equal or heavier fine than what the patriacheats got, then it will be more proof that the league is rigged for the patriacheats to win it all!!!

Jeremy
01-03-2008, 11:11 AM
And I guess ridding one's self of video tapes and notes of 31 other teams is ok?

If these two teams get an equal or heavier fine than what the patriacheats got, then it will be more proof that the league is rigged for the patriacheats to win it all!!!

How's that? To me, this is far worse than anything New England did. This challenges the very integrity of the game. Personally I'm shocked that Tony Dungy would be even remotely involved in anything this underhanded. I really don't what to believe it happened, but if it did the NFL needs to send a clear message that you don't do things like this on the field of play.

Elvis
01-03-2008, 11:27 AM
:tt02: Go Titans.. Beat those Chargers...

PisnNapalm
01-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Face it... Tony Dungy hates the Browns as much as we do. LMAO!

ShutDown24
01-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Titans-Colts ‘agreement’ raises collusion fears

MSNBC News Services
updated 23 minutes ago

Very interesting indeed...Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22487240/.

And the Patriots cheated, everyone is on steroids, their are bounties being placed every week and the Winter Classic was 'fixed'... Nothing will come of this more than speculation.

PAMillerGrrl83
01-03-2008, 10:14 PM
I think the Titans are being stupid and trying to turn nothing into something....or Tony Dungy simply hates the Browns as much as the rest of the world.

The Patriot
01-03-2008, 10:19 PM
These accusations will disapear pretty quick. Unless there was money involved I don't see how this is a big deal. The Colts obviously want the Chargers out of the way and think the Titans have a better shot at beating them than the Browns.

ShutDown24
01-03-2008, 10:38 PM
These accusations will disapear pretty quick. Unless there was money involved I don't see how this is a big deal. The Colts obviously want the Chargers out of the way and think the Titans have a better shot at beating them than the Browns.

The last statement is out there but your first assessment is correct. Teams can do whatever they want and justify it as long as cheating or $$ wasn't a part of the deal. If a team doesn't want to call a timeout with that little a chance of scoring they don't have too. Not wanting to risk injury is even a valid excuse. This will be forgotten fast.

CASTEEL
01-03-2008, 10:50 PM
How's that? To me, this is far worse than anything New England did. This challenges the very integrity of the game. Personally I'm shocked that Tony Dungy would be even remotely involved in anything this underhanded. I really don't what to believe it happened, but if it did the NFL needs to send a clear message that you don't do things like this on the field of play.

:rofl:

The JoKeR
01-04-2008, 02:23 AM
I doubt any of it is true simply for the fact that the Jags were already in as the 5th seed. Now the colts just "let" the titans in .... I'm sure that just what they wanted....2 wild card teams from their own division. I think Dungy just wanted to get out of there without any further injury and the titans coached figured he wouldn't call a timeout. If the Steelers were in as a 2 seed and the 5 and 6 seeds were baltimore, and cleveland....you wouldn't worry?

Rhee Rhee
01-04-2008, 02:31 AM
It'll be a hefty fine for both teams and maybe a loss of draft picks if they can prove it happened.

I was just wondering is that truly ppossible? i mean the game had no meaning for the colts and they probably just wanted to get out of there and start preparing for the playoffs... besides it was the browns fault they didnt beat cinci..

stlrtruck
01-04-2008, 11:04 AM

And yet cheating doesn't challenge the integrity of the game? The fact that the patriacheats were enabled to cheat and got nothing for it other than a hefty fine and a loss of draft picks tells me that IF this story is true, then Goodell has noone but himself to blame!!

Lord Stiller
01-04-2008, 11:06 AM
This is a non-story

Lord Stiller
01-04-2008, 11:15 AM

Wrong

The Browns would have a better shot at beating the Chargers IMO

Colts just wanted to get out of the game healthy and they did put forth a valid effort which is why these collusion allegations are total BS

Michael Keller
01-04-2008, 11:29 AM
The last statement is out there but your first assessment is correct. Teams can do whatever they want and justify it as long as cheating or $$ wasn't a part of the deal. If a team doesn't want to call a timeout with that little a chance of scoring they don't have too. Not wanting to risk injury is even a valid excuse. This will be forgotten fast.

Tyler

You are right on. No way Tony Dungy would collude with any opposing coach or team. Come on this guy lost his son and handled with superb dignity and honor. Not wanting to risk injury and being realistic about the big picture is the perspective Dungy had. I would have done the exact same thing. It is all about winning the Super Bowl . He owes nothing to any team but his own. I am not a big Tony Dungy fan as far as his coaching style etc is concern. I like guys like Jack Del Rio, Jeff Fisher , John Gruden and I am liking Tomlin but i reserve my opinion until next season . But I like Tony Dungy as a MAN. We got to believe some things we read and hear and I choose Dungy over Collins or any sports writer creating something out of nothing.

Dino 6 Rings
01-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Wrong

The Browns would have a better shot at beating the Chargers IMO

Colts just wanted to get out of the game healthy and they did put forth a valid effort which is why these collusion allegations are total BS

Agree with Lord Steeler. Colts didn't see the risk of having a punt return injury, or getting the ball and attempting a late 20 second drive to win the game worth it and let the Titans know, as Gentlemen and one Warrior to another, "Hey, We are taking a knee as well, well fought, lets both just get out of here and maybe we'll see each other later."

Had the Colts been in position to win the game, say down by 2 and at the 13 yard line and chosen to take a knee and the loss instead of kicking a game winning field goal...that would be a story.

cubanstogie
01-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Tyler

You are right on. No way Tony Dungy would collude with any opposing coach or team. Come on this guy lost his son and handled with superb dignity and honor. Not wanting to risk injury and being realistic about the big picture is the perspective Dungy had. I would have done the exact same thing. It is all about winning the Super Bowl . He owes nothing to any team but his own. I am not a big Tony Dungy fan as far as his coaching style etc is concern. I like guys like Jack Del Rio, Jeff Fisher , John Gruden and I am liking Tomlin but i reserve my opinion until next season . But I like Tony Dungy as a MAN. We got to believe some things we read and hear and I choose Dungy over Collins or any sports writer creating something out of nothing.

Michael whats up, I am up the hill in El Dorado Hills. Browns get no sympathy here, they should have beat the bungles a week earlier. Dungy is one of the most respected man in football I agree this is not a story. A patriot fan is probably pushing this story to try and get an asterisk next to someone else besides them.

The Patriot
01-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Michael whats up, I am up the hill in El Dorado Hills. Browns get no sympathy here, they should have beat the bungles a week earlier. Dungy is one of the most respected man in football I agree this is not a story. A patriot fan is probably pushing this story to try and get an asterisk next to someone else besides them.

No...We think it's a load of BS but that doesn't mean we're not giving Colts fans a hard time about it. As would you if these allegations were against the Patriots.

Michael Keller
01-04-2008, 12:53 PM

Hi up there in El Dorado Hills ; Quite windy here today in Northern California . I live in Roseville. I am a swimming pool sales consultant / estimator and last night I met with a client in the La Riveria area and he wants to install a Steeler Logo in the bottom of his new pool we are building for him. Thought you would enjoy this tidbit. I will stay in touch with you & you do the same. Go Steelers from the extended Steeler Nation of the Sacramento area where some of the best and enthusiastic fans live . The steelers are honored every where because they are class and may they always remain so. Thank you Mr. Rooney for being who you are.

Excuse me for changing the thread but the better story for our Steeler friends is that they know the passion we have for our Steelers out here in the Sacramento California area.

stillers4me
01-04-2008, 05:00 PM
ummmmmmmm........all the Browns needed to do was one simple thing...... beat the Bengals. They lost and had to depend on other teams to get them in the playoffs. They have no right to bitch.

Steeler in Carolina
01-04-2008, 06:46 PM
The Titans would have punted with 20 seconds left in the game. What if the Colts called a timeout, Titans punted , and then on the hail mary that Indy tries, Reggie Wayne gets hurt and misses the playoffs.

Or, how is this any worse than all these guys who didn't play the last game. The fact that Manning only played 1/2 the game(or less, I don't know) is worse as far as trying to win than not calling a TO with 20 secs. left.

Steeler in Carolina
01-04-2008, 06:47 PM
One other thing, if the Browns want to cry over this, they should have taken care of business themselves. They lost to Cincy in week 16. Beat them, and they are in the playoffs.

ShutDown24
01-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Tyler

Thanks, it is pretty often a good idea to side with Dungy over a sports writer lol.

Newzfoxjr
01-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Gosh guys, it's just cheating. The Patriots* did and look where they are.

._.

Jeremy
01-04-2008, 08:59 PM
I love it....two teams agree to fix a game and some of you say it's no big deal.

Anything to justify your blind and irrational hatred of the Pats I guess.

fansince'76
01-04-2008, 10:12 PM
I love it....two teams agree to fix a game and some of you say it's no big deal.

Anything to justify your blind and irrational hatred of the Pats I guess.

Has nothing to do with the Pats - funny how easily you trivialized their cheating.

Chronicgaming
01-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Updated story from MSNBC:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22487240/

MSNBC News Services
updated 11:23 a.m. MT, Thurs., Jan. 3, 2008

Tennessee quarterback Kerry Collins said on WFAN Radio on Thursday that the Titans kneeled at the end of the game Sunday because they knew the Colts wouldn't call a timeout.

With Tennessee leading 16-10 and needing a victory to make the playoffs, the Titans had originally called a running play, Collins said. But the team changed to a kneeldown when he was told over his headset that the Colts wouldn't call a timeout, which would have possibly forced the Titans to punt with less than 20 seconds left in the game, Collins said.

"Apparently there was some communication between Jeff (Fisher) and Tony (Dungy)," Collins said on WFAN.

Fisher said he knew Dungy wouldn't use the timeout because he's so familiar with the Colts coach's thinking, the Knoxville (Tenn.) News-Sentinel reported Thursday.

"Let me just say, I knew he wasn't going to use it. Tony and I were on the competition committee for a long time," Fisher said, the newspaper reported.

The Titans coach also said the Colts would have gotten the ball back with 25 seconds left but down nine because Tennessee would have kicked another field goal, the newspaper reported.

"It didn't make any sense. They gave it their best shot," Fisher said, the News-Sentinel reported.

Dungy congratulated the Titans.

"I have to congratulate the Titans and I think it is a feather in the cap of our division to get three teams in the playoffs,? Dungy said, Colts.com reported. ?They (the Titans) certainly deserve it.?

Collins also said he thought starting quarterback Vince Young was day-to-day, but "he'll do whatever he needs to do to get ready to play."

Rinkleroot
01-05-2008, 07:24 AM
This story is Lame to say the least but the Pats fans trying to make something out of it is worst than lame, get over yourselves Pats Fans!! :toofunny:

Jeremy
01-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Has nothing to do with the Pats - funny how easily you trivialized their cheating.

Yeah I did, because it didn't happen on the field. But I guess it's ok for Dungy to cheat because he's such a good guy.

Newzfoxjr
01-05-2008, 09:22 AM
Yeah I did, because it didn't happen on the field. But I guess it's ok for Dungy to cheat because he's such a good guy.

Dude, it's just cheating. It doesn't really matter. The Patriots did it, so it's OK. I don't get how you don't see that. I mean, this only cost the Browns a trip to the playoffs, at worst. Didn't impact anything!

Stlrs4Life
01-05-2008, 09:50 AM
If this is all true, do you think the Browns will name this loss also? Collusiongate? You know after, Red Right 88, the Drive, the Fumble, the Comeback?

Newzfoxjr
01-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Collusiongate. XD!

Probably "The Kneel" or something stupid.

silver & black
01-05-2008, 11:38 AM
If this is all true, do you think the Browns will name this loss also? Collusiongate? You know after, Red Right 88, the Drive, the Fumble, the Comeback?

:bouncy:...:jammin:

The Patriot
01-05-2008, 01:22 PM
I believe that at the start of that game, the Colts would have won if they wanted to but they played a low-key game to avoid injury and not to screw the Browns out of the playoffs. The Browns should blame themselves. They didn't win enough games to decide their own fate.

stlrtruck
01-05-2008, 02:36 PM
No...We think it's a load of BS but that doesn't mean we're not giving Colts fans a hard time about it. As would you if these allegations were against the Patriots.

The difference is that the allegations against the patriacheats have been proven to be right - while the ones against the colts are still that allegations.

j-dawg
01-05-2008, 02:57 PM

:dang: braylon edwards scored more touchdowns than the titans entire offense scored this year (16)... jamal lewis tied with the titans offense with 9.

i could care less, my team should have never let it get to that game. but if you honestly think the titans, who could barely get a win against the colts practice squad, have a better chance than the browns did against the chargers, you're smoking some high grade stuff!!

The Patriot
01-05-2008, 05:18 PM
:dang: braylon edwards scored more touchdowns than the titans entire offense scored this year (16)... jamal lewis tied with the titans offense with 9.

i could care less, my team should have never let it get to that game. but if you honestly think the titans, who could barely get a win against the colts practice squad, have a better chance than the browns did against the chargers, you're smoking some high grade stuff!!

I do think the Titans are better than the Browns.

j-dawg
01-06-2008, 08:53 AM
I do think the Titans are better than the Browns.

:toofunny: that's cool, i think the colts are better than the patriots.

The Patriot
01-06-2008, 09:14 AM
:toofunny: that's cool, i think the colts are better than the patriots.

We'll see...hopefully.

Stlrs4Life
01-12-2008, 12:23 PM

All assumptions. I think they are about even.