PDA

View Full Version : 3 Keys....and Thoughts on Tomlin

Sith Lord
01-03-2008, 11:26 AM
1) Stop the run
2) Protect Ben
3) Dont let them convert on 3rd Down

Not brain surgery ladies and gents. If we can do this, we win.

On Tomlin:
IMO, Mike Tomlin needs to win this game to validate his hiring. And dont say anything about injuries. All year he talks and talks and it appears he has a very good head on his shoulders. Could it be that this guy just knows how to work a room?

Injuries are a part of the game. He has to be able to put in a backup and not miss a beat.( I know, easier said then done.) His December was flat out dreadful, and earlier this year the steelers schedule was soft.

Again, IMO, you CANNOT let Jacksonville come on to your field and beat you up....AGAIN. Don't let the 29-22 score fool you, the Steelers got their assess handed to them that day. I think it was a good move to play the tape of that game on a loop this week.

Ben is the shining light on this team offensively, if we can protect him he's good enough to get us to next week....as long as the D CONTINUES TO PLAY AT THE LEVEL THEY ARE CAPABLE OF THE ENTIRE 60 MINUTES. Is it just me or does anyone notice when the offense comes back to tie or make the game closer, on the next drive they let the team go right down the field? See Arizona, Denver, Jets, and Jax games.

We'll have to pull out the Rocky III line once again when Apollo says to Rocky before the second Clubber Lang fight, "Remember what he did to you last time."

One way or another, we're fixin' for a good 'ol fist fight come Saturday night!!!!

:helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet::h elmet::helmet::helmet:

Dino 6 Rings
01-03-2008, 11:28 AM
I believe the Key to the game will be pressuring and breaking the will of the first time playoff qb on the other team.

keep him off balance by stuffing his run early and hitting him hard and often.

Jeremy
01-03-2008, 11:34 AM
IMO, Mike Tomlin needs to win this game to validate his hiring. And dont say anything about injuries. All year he talks and talks and it appears he has a very good head on his shoulders. Could it be that this guy just knows how to work a room?

Interesting take. I think you might have something there. Tomlin can certainly talk the talk. He gives good pressers and has said all the right things all season long. But there does come a time with talk has to be backed up with action. All season long he's talked about how they want to be more violent than their opponents. They want to be tougher than their opponents. Well now fate has handed Tomlin and the Steelers a golden opportunity to see where they are and to see if it's all be talk. Jacksonville is a tough team that's going to come in and not mess around. They want to hit you on offense and defense.

The Steelers fell short one time, they need to step up and not come up short again.

cubanstogie
01-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Only one key IMO, stop the run. Garrard is not going to beat us throwing down field. Our O-line injuries are a big story but I don't see that it could be much worse than the regular season. Bens turnovers have been way down, and our offense has been scoring points . We do need to get Heath Miller involved more. I have a feeling if we cant run he won't factor as much due to play action not working. I think if we cant run on them early we need to abandon run and see what Ben can do throwing 35 times. I am tired of hearing coaches say the wont abandon the run and watching them go run, run, pass punt. Ben can play like Brady if we need him to .

Dino 6 Rings
01-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Ben can't play like Brady...because Brady gets the defensive call fed into his headset prior to the snap and knows exactly where his reads are going to be every time.

Ben won't cheat to win, Ben will play like Ben and if that means going 28 of 35 for 275 yards and 4 tds, So Be It.

cubanstogie
01-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Ben can't play like Brady...because Brady gets the defensive call fed into his headset prior to the snap and knows exactly where his reads are going to be every time.

Ben won't cheat to win, Ben will play like Ben and if that means going 28 of 35 for 275 yards and 4 tds, So Be It.

Those numbers are what I was referring to. We have to put the game in
Bens hands. If he has a bad game I can accept defeat. What I cant acccept is trying to run all game with a third string O-line and a back up RB if it is clearly not working. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be able to run but don't want to hear BS cliches like "we won't abandon the run". You win games against high powered offenses by running, on the flip side if they can only run we need to take them out of that and score early and get a big lead. If we can get up by 10 or 14 we can force Garrard to win game instead of them running down are throats again. Thats basically what the Pats have done to us in the last few games we have played them.

HometownGal
01-03-2008, 12:19 PM
1) Stop the run
2) Protect Ben

On Tomlin:

Injuries are a part of the game. He has to be able to put in a backup and not miss a beat.( I know, easier said then done.) His December was flat out dreadful, and earlier this year the steelers schedule was soft.

Again, IMO, you CANNOT let Jacksonville come on to your field and beat you up....AGAIN. Don't let the 29-22 score fool you, the Steelers got their assess handed to them that day. I think it was a good move to play the tape of that game on a loop this week.

Ben is the shining light on this team offensively, if we can protect him he's good enough to get us to next week....as long as the D CONTINUES TO PLAY AT THE LEVEL THEY ARE CAPABLE OF THE ENTIRE 60 MINUTES. Is it just me or does anyone notice when the offense comes back to tie or make the game closer, on the next drive they let the team go right down the field? See Arizona, Denver, Jets, and Jax games.

We'll have to pull out the Rocky III line once again when Apollo says to Rocky before the second Clubber Lang fight, "Remember what he did to you last time."

One way or another, we're fixin' for a good 'ol fist fight come Saturday night!!!!

4. Hold onto the damned ball! :tt02:

I'm not all that worried about Ben getting the job done, even with that swiss cheese OL of ours. Ben is tough and has been able to make plays scrambling and off balance. My biggest concerns are (a) ST's and (b) Steelers D. Missed tackles seem to be contagious among these two units lately and on ST's, we just cannot afford to give the Jags good field position. Both units are going to have to step it up to the max or it could be a very long day for our guys.

Sorry - I do have to reference injuries with respect to Tomlin's record in his inaugural season. I don't care who you are - when a team suffers as many significant and season ending injuries to as many key players in a span of 17 weeks, it does tend to affect a team and a coach's ability to scramble to fill that position adequately. I don't believe the Steelers have adequate depth at several key positions and hopefully, this will be addressed in the off-season.

I don't believe for one minute that Tomlin is an all talk but no action jackson. Tomlin taking this team decimated with season ending injuries in his first season is a major accomplishment imho and is only a prelude of many good seasons to come. I loved the hiring from day one and he has given me absolutely no reason to change my opinion in that regard. :thumbsup:

OneForTheToe
01-03-2008, 01:08 PM
1) Stop the run
2) Protect Ben

On Tomlin:

I agree with your keys to the game but the part about Tomlin needing to win to validate his hiring is frankly silly. A first year coach, who takes a team to the playoffs a year after they missed the playoffs, has to win to validate his hiring? So, if losing at home in the playoffs invalidates a coach, exactly how many times was Cowher invalidated as a head coach? When we lost the AFC championship game to the Chargers? How about the playoff loses to the bills and Patriots? It seems to me he helped us win a super Bowl after all those losses.

Look, my take on Tomlin as a HC is about the same as my take on a draft choice. It will take about three years to get a handle on whether he is as good as advertised or just talks the talk. In any case, given the Rooney's reputation for patience, he will have at least that time and probably more to prove himself.

fansince'76
01-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Look, my take on Tomlin as a HC is about the same as my take on a draft choice. It will take about three years to get a handle on whether he is as good as advertised or just talks the talk. In any case, given the Rooney's reputation for patience, he will have at least that time and probably more to prove himself.

:iagree: At least 3 years - more like 5, IMHO.

Jeremy
01-03-2008, 01:14 PM
:iagree: At least 3 years - more like 5, IMHO.

5 is too many. Teams can roll a roster over in a season these days. A coach can get his guys and his system in place in less than 3 years.

fansince'76
01-03-2008, 01:31 PM
5 is too many. Teams can roll a roster over in a season these days. A coach can get his guys and his system in place in less than 3 years.

So if he doesn't win it all within 3 years he should be history? I'm assuming that's what you mean, because some folks seem to think he should probably be shown the door if the Steelers lose Saturday.

memphissteelergirl
01-03-2008, 01:35 PM
The three keys, IMHO....

1. Control the clock/line of scrimmage-don't give J-ville's offense a chance to get on the field!
2. Give Ben time to throw
3. Defense-GET SOME INTENSITY AND EMOTION!!!

And as for Tomlin-he has proven to be he has the potential to be an excellent coach. It's difficult (and frankly unfair) to compare him to Noll or Cowher at this point.
It will take another season I think to really establish this as his team. Overall I would grade his first season as a B-minus.

Just my .02

Jeremy
01-03-2008, 01:37 PM
So if he doesn't win it all within 3 years he should be history? I'm assuming that's what you mean, because some folks seem to think he should probably be shown the door if the Steelers lose Saturday.

Nope, not what I meant at all. What I meant is that we should have a clear idea of what kind of coach he'll be in three years time. That means his kind of players in his kind of system.

BlastFurnace
01-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Other than "Men", Tomlin's favorite word is "Attrition". Some of the people on the roster will be gone due to Tomlin's Attrition.

I'm sure he learned a lot from the roster he inherited. Some of the guys are on the team because there was no other option.

We have a solid group to build upon, some who are aging that need to be let go, and some that Tomlin will weed out.

Considering what he did this year, I think he has been highly successful. If I had a complaint against Tomlin, it is still his use of the challenge flag.

He's going to be here a while folks. He's going to have his great years and his down years, but he's the best of the 1st year coaches that were hired last season.

Sith Lord
01-03-2008, 02:40 PM
I agree with your keys to the game but the part about Tomlin needing to win to validate his hiring is frankly silly. A first year coach, who takes a team to the playoffs a year after they missed the playoffs, has to win to validate his hiring? So, if losing at home in the playoffs invalidates a coach, exactly how many times was Cowher invalidated as a head coach? When we lost the AFC championship game to the Chargers? How about the playoff loses to the bills and Patriots? It seems to me he helped us win a super Bowl after all those losses.

If someone else, anyone else owned this team, cohwer would have been fired after losing the afc championship game to denver in 1997. He would have lost against the chargers, dallas (SB XXX), NE on the road in the divisionals in the fog, then Denver at home again in 97. Worst case he would have made it to the 01 season then get fired after losing to NE at home in the championship game.

If it wasnt rooney no chance would he have had a job with the steelers after that 2001 loss.

fansince'76
01-03-2008, 02:49 PM
If someone else, anyone else owned this team, cohwer would have been fired after losing the afc championship game to denver in 1997....If it wasnt rooney no chance would he have had a job with the steelers after that 2001 loss.

Which may not be such a bad thing. I personally like the fact that we haven't changed coaches like clockwork every 2-3 years. I think stability at HC had a large part to do with the fact that the Steelers had more playoff appearances during Cowher's tenure than any other team in the league. He didn't have the QB to get over the hump until the end.

19ward86
01-03-2008, 03:06 PM
stop them on 4th down is just as important in which they converted 3-4th down conversions last time.

Counselor
01-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Which may not be such a bad thing. I personally like the fact that we haven't changed coaches like clockwork every 2-3 years. I think stability at HC had a large part to do with the fact that the Steelers had more playoff appearances during Cowher's tenure than any other team in the league. He didn't have the QB to get over the hump until the end.

:thumbsup:Agreed fan . . .I gotta say, I like the fact that the Steelers buck the system and opt for stability and building teams for long-term sustainable success. Stablility at head coach is obviously a primary key to that.

I'm a little disturbed that a 10-6 season, division championship, and playoff appearence is not good enough for a first season . . .but fans want instant gratification. However, the steelers organization are not ones for instant gratification. Sorry, but Tomlin is going to be here a while.

HometownGal
01-03-2008, 03:21 PM
If someone else, anyone else owned this team, cohwer would have been fired after losing the afc championship game to denver in 1997. He would have lost against the chargers, dallas (SB XXX), NE on the road in the divisionals in the fog, then Denver at home again in 97. Worst case he would have made it to the 01 season then get fired after losing to NE at home in the championship game.

If it wasnt rooney no chance would he have had a job with the steelers after that 2001 loss.

Says a helluva a lot about the Rooneys having the faith in their HC's to ride it out through the hard times. Makes me respect and admire them even more. :thumbsup: If only some of the fans would have that kind of patience. :shake02:

tony hipchest
01-03-2008, 04:03 PM
saw something interresting on sportscenter.

bill cowher, chuck knox, and joe gibbs are the only coaches to win playoff games with 5 different qb's. (gibbs has a chance to win with his 6th this week)

cowher won with kordell, tomczac, odonnell, maddox, and ben. not even don shula can claim the same. pretty impressive in its own right.

and for those who think gerrard cant torch us with his arm, watch out! anyone notice matt jones getting warmed up the past week or 2? i hate the thought of him isolated on deshea, or even worse, a gimpy mcfadden.

lilyoder6
01-03-2008, 04:09 PM
i think the only gameplan for this game is just have the def regain there identity... the off has been good thru out the season minus a game or two... the def just needs to get back into form and i think we will be fine...

steeltheone
01-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Interesting take. I think you might have something there. Tomlin can certainly talk the talk. He gives good pressers and has said all the right things all season long. But there does come a time with talk has to be backed up with action. All season long he's talked about how they want to be more violent than their opponents. They want to be tougher than their opponents. Well now fate has handed Tomlin and the Steelers a golden opportunity to see where they are and to see if it's all be talk. Jacksonville is a tough team that's going to come in and not mess around. They want to hit you on offense and defense.

The Steelers fell short one time, they need to step up and not come up short again.
This team need s to come out with some i'm gonna kick your ass Steelers Spirit. Have not seen it since Baltimore game 1.

stillers4me
01-04-2008, 05:37 AM
Tomlin got this team to the playoffs. That's validation enough for me.

As previously said, we need to stop Fred Taylor and stop them from converting on 3rd downs (something alot of teams have been able do to on us lately) Ben needs to be clutch and our receivers need to hold on th the frikkin' ball. Special teams need to play for their jobs.........because they are.

Stlr4ever
01-04-2008, 04:09 PM

All Tomlin can do is talk, talk, talk........... What else did you expect? He can't block & tackle. Yes, he can manage to have best possible practice sessions, give pep talks....etc., but on the game day, it's the players that need to get the job done. As I see it, the whole team is lacking in character. There was no excuse for our defese to let Fred Taylor run all over them. Keisel said that the guys were trying to do too much and not staying in their gaps!! Hellooooo? These guys are professionals, they need to play with discipline and determination. Whether we like the Patriots or not, we must admit that they execute at an extremely high level & extremely disciplined. That's why they are 16-0. When our team went 15-1 in 2004, they were executing very well until the playoffs.

alittlejazzbird
01-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Interesting take. I think you might have something there. Tomlin can certainly talk the talk. He gives good pressers and has said all the right things all season long. But there does come a time with talk has to be backed up with action. All season long he's talked about how they want to be more violent than their opponents. They want to be tougher than their opponents. Well now fate has handed Tomlin and the Steelers a golden opportunity to see where they are and to see if it's all be talk

Fate has also handed Tomlin the team that he presently has. With the possible exception of the 2007 draft, he had to work with the people he had and fit them into his philosophy. We don't know what goes on in that locker room, and we don't know for sure that everyone has bought 100% into Tomlin's philosophy. He's been through a full season and faced a fair amount of adversity. He's also had an entire season to determine whether he made the right choices in staff. Let's see whether any of his staff changes in the offseason, which players aren't brought back, and which players are taken in the 2008 draft. I've believed all along that it would take a few seasons for Tomlin to really begin to implement his philosophies and to really establish a culture in that locker room. Before we're too hasty in talking about what constitutes career validation after only 16 or 17 games, maybe we can give the guy another season or so to make the Steelers his team, rather than Bill Cowher's.

Atlanta Dan
01-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Before we're too hasty in talking about what constitutes career validation after only 16 or 17 games, maybe we can give the guy another season or so to make the Steelers his team, rather than Bill Cowher's.

Nope - I have seen enough - fire Tomlin now - time for Arians to take the reins

Preacher
01-05-2008, 03:15 AM
Nope - I have seen enough - fire Tomlin now - time for Arians to take the reins

:sofunny::sofunny:

FourThreeMafia
01-05-2008, 03:52 AM
1) Stop the run
2) Protect Ben

On Tomlin:
IMO, Mike Tomlin needs to win this game to validate his hiring. And dont say anything about injuries. All year he talks and talks and it appears he has a very good head on his shoulders. Could it be that this guy just knows how to work a room? :

Its comments like this why I avoid forums with only Steeler fans.

Steeler fans are the most unfaithful and fickle fans in the league. (This isnt talking about all of you, but most of you know what I am talking about, even if you wont admit it)

And I dont mean unfaithful to the team, I mean unfaithful to players and coaches.

Look at Bill Cowher. I cant tell you how many years fans like you called for his head. I remember huge online petitions being started to fire Bill Cowher after the 2003 season.

Now, if Mike Tomlin cant win tomorrow, all of a sudden, he is a bad hire? Please. Go root for the Detroit Lions for a few years and come back. When you question Tomlin's hire you question the Rooneys. I wouldnt have a problem if this was Tomlin's 5th or 6th year and he hadnt done a great job, but not his first year after leading the team to the postseason.

I love how every Steeler fan this year wants to point at coaching, particularly Tomlin and Arians, for all the teams shortcomings, but when it comes right down to it, its been lack of talent AND injuries. Yeah, injuries are part of the game, but if you think you can just keep rolling with injuries to key players, you have alot ot learn.

For one, if you are going to blame coaching, you better point at LeBeau as well.

Second, Tomlin won TEN games in his FIRST year with COWHER's players. This isnt even Tomlins team yet really. Mainstays like Ben, Willie, Holmes, Miller, Polamalu and Taylor will be around for awhile, but the only real Tomlin players thus far are Timmons and Woodley, and I think Woodley was brought in to be more of a transitional player.

Finally, while we are on that topic, if I recall correctly, Cowher went 8-8 with basically these same players last year. Cowher didnt go 12-4 every year. We had some bad seasons under him and lost to teams far worse than us.

Even if Tomlin wouldve went 6-10 this year, it wouldnt have meant a thing. You dont judge coaches on one year, and you certainly dont dismiss a coach who leads you to 10 wins and loses in the first round of the playoffs in his first year.

Was Tomlin the right hire? Who knows, but you cant say it wasnt even if we get blown out tomorrow.

Galax Steeler
01-05-2008, 04:11 AM

Steeler fans are the most unfaithful and fickle fans in the league. (This isnt talking about all of you, but most of you know what I am talking about, even if you wont admit it)

And I dont mean unfaithful to the team, I mean unfaithful to players and coaches.

Look at Bill Cowher. I cant tell you how many years fans like you called for his head. I remember huge online petitions being started to fire Bill Cowher after the 2003 season.

Now, if Mike Tomlin cant win tomorrow, all of a sudden, he is a bad hire? Please. Go root for the Detroit Lions for a few years and come back. When you question Tomlin's hire you question the Rooneys. I wouldnt have a problem if this was Tomlin's 5th or 6th year and he hadnt done a great job, but not his first year after leading the team to the postseason.

I love how every Steeler fan this year wants to point at coaching, particularly Tomlin and Arians, for all the teams shortcomings, but when it comes right down to it, its been lack of talent AND injuries. Yeah, injuries are part of the game, but if you think you can just keep rolling with injuries to key players, you have alot ot learn.

For one, if you are going to blame coaching, you better point at LeBeau as well.

Second, Tomlin won TEN games in his FIRST year with COWHER's players. This isnt even Tomlins team yet really. Mainstays like Ben, Willie, Holmes, Miller, Polamalu and Taylor will be around for awhile, but the only real Tomlin players thus far are Timmons and Woodley, and I think Woodley was brought in to be more of a transitional player.

Finally, while we are on that topic, if I recall correctly, Cowher went 8-8 with basically these same players last year. Cowher didnt go 12-4 every year. We had some bad seasons under him and lost to teams far worse than us.

Even if Tomlin wouldve went 6-10 this year, it wouldnt have meant a thing. You dont judge coaches on one year, and you certainly dont dismiss a coach who leads you to 10 wins and loses in the first round of the playoffs in his first year.

Was Tomlin the right hire? Who knows, but you cant say it wasnt even if we get blown out tomorrow.

nice read hopefully we won't get blown out and tomlin will be the coach for years to come.

JackHammer
01-05-2008, 04:45 AM
Based on our record, being in the playoffs and division champs, I'd have to say it's successful first season. We still need a few more seasons to know for sure if Tomlin is the real deal, but at least he has a solid start to his career.

My keys:

1)STOP THE RUN!!! With 18 passing TD's and 2,500+ yards, Garrard will only beat you with his arm if his RB's have a good day. If you put the game on his arm he may not turn the ball over, but he won't throw TD's either.

2)Ride Big Ben as far as he can take us.

Sith Lord
01-05-2008, 07:29 AM

Well thank goodness for that. Then again, I dont think anyone cares.

[/QUOTE]Was Tomlin the right hire? Who knows, but you cant say it wasnt even if we get blown out tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, IMO, I think (or have a feeling) that this coulle be thr wrong hire. believe me, I hope I'm wrong, its a gut feeling I have.

Listen, I dont want to bring this up anymore, so if the steelers just go out and win this one I'm sure it will make a lot of people feel a lot better. Especially with the fact that NO ONE is picking them. I mean, is it just me or in every paper and on every station they are all picking Jacksonville? Lack of respect for Tomlin and his boys IMO.

:helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet:

FourThreeMafia
01-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Well thank goodness for that. Then again, I dont think anyone cares.

Like I said, IMO, I think (or have a feeling) that this coulle be thr wrong hire. believe me, I hope I'm wrong, its a gut feeling I have.

Listen, I dont want to bring this up anymore, so if the steelers just go out and win this one I'm sure it will make a lot of people feel a lot better. Especially with the fact that NO ONE is picking them. I mean, is it just me or in every paper and on every station they are all picking Jacksonville? Lack of respect for Tomlin and his boys IMO.

:helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet:

All Im saying is going 10-6 and losing a playoff game is no reason to give up on a coach in his first year, especially considering we lost Porter and Hartings last offseason.

Even if the Steelers win tonight, there will be Steelers fans calling for TomTom's head when we lose to New England. Thats my isssue. There is no pleasing some Steeler fans. I still have nothing but love for my fellow Steeler fans, but they never consider the alternatives. (IE Detroit Lions, Miami Dolphins, Oakland Raiders, etc)

Preacher
01-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Based on our record, being in the playoffs and division champs, I'd have to say it's successful first season. We still need a few more seasons to know for sure if Tomlin is the real deal, but at least he has a solid start to his career.

My keys:

1)STOP THE RUN!!! With 18 passing TD's and 2,500+ yards, Garrard will only beat you with his arm if his RB's have a good day. If you put the game on his arm he may not turn the ball over, but he won't throw TD's either.

2)Ride Big Ben as far as he can take us.

Absolutely. I think we have a number of positive seasons to come! A few more SB's as well hopefully!