PDA

View Full Version : Former Steeler agrees in part with Taylor

83-Steelers-43
01-04-2008, 01:00 AM
Former Steeler agrees in part with Taylor
By David M. Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, January 4, 2008

Jacksonville Jaguars running back Fred Taylor ripped the playing surface at Heinz Field earlier this week, calling it a "lawsuit pending."

Former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis didn't exactly defend it Thursday in a conference call with reporters.

"Is it an embarrassment? I think this year the way the field looked in back-to-back weeks (against Miami and Cincinnati) when the games were televised nationally, the field looked pretty bad, so from that standpoint, I think it is a sore issue in Pittsburgh," said Bettis, who is now am NFL studio analyst for NBC, which will broadcast the Steelers' AFC wild-card game against the Jaguars on Saturday night. "But I think it's always going to be rough this time of year."

Taylor, who ironically enough rushed for the most yards ever (147) by an opposing back at Heinz Field on Dec. 16, said the Steelers need to install FieldTurf at Heinz Field.

The Steelers will consider replacing the DD GrassMaster at Heinz with some sort of artificial turf after the season.

One compelling reason for them not to change the surface at Heinz Field is the Steelers' players, almost to a man, have said they prefer natural grass over artificial turf.

"The (Steelers) players understand it, they appreciate it, and they don't want to go to a different type of turf," Bettis said of Heinz Field. "They want that dirt that's there because they feel it gives them an advantage."

Taylor backed off the blunt comments he made Tuesday about the playing surface, saying that he made them in a lighthearted kind of way.

"Guys got to be able to take a joke from time to time," Taylor said. "There's nothing overly bad about it. Actually, I was referring to that Monday night (game) versus the Dolphins. It was terrible then. Granted, we played on a snowy, muddy field ... that's part of the game. That's football. I've got to tease from time to time. It's all good."

That's especially true, several Steelers said, if their field helps them slow down Taylor.

"We love our field," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "If he slips and falls, that's good for us."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_545753.html

19ward86
01-04-2008, 04:28 AM
why....why cant people just realize that the sod on the monday night game vs miami was laid over already ruined grass. the field is never that bad, i can see cleaning the field up but i definitaly support the grass field, alan faneca said that he loves the grass because you can drive more with it compared to turf, and i agree, i play for my highschool and our rival has turf and i can grip it even with metal cleats. i think bettis is saying this because he doesnt want to be biased, he has favored the steelers opponents all year and i think he needs to give it up.

Galax Steeler
01-04-2008, 04:54 AM
The field is the same for everyone so there is no advantage to either side if taylor don't won't to play on it then he can stay in jacksonville.

Steel Pit
01-04-2008, 05:32 AM
Here's my idea and I believe that it's feasible. The Arizona Cardinals play in a retractable-roof dome with a natural grass surface. I don't know the specifics but I can tell you that they easily winch their field surface in and out of their dome where it receives sunlight and an occasional rain shower.

The Steelers should consider the same design for removing their playing surface. They could keep a back-up playing surface on 2 barges, either floating on the river or waiting somewhere along the river. When one surface goes bad they could simply winch it out, and winch in the new surface. A two barge playing surface would allow for just one seam at the 50 yard line.

This idea isn't too far fetched. I believe that enabling the winching a playing surface in and out of a stadium is a fairly simple design. Heck, if the Arizona Cardinals can pull it off then the Steelers can certainly do it. In the long run, It would definitely be less expensive than the $150,000+ bill that the Steelers shell out every November or December to replace the sod by their current methods.

Preacher
01-04-2008, 05:34 AM
Funny how they try to twist what Bettis said to be in support of Taylor... but it really isn't.. not even close.

Preacher
01-04-2008, 05:39 AM
Here's my idea and I believe that it's feasible. The Arizona Cardinals play in a retractable-roof dome with a natural grass surface. I don't know the specifics but I can tell you that they easily winch their field surface in and out of their dome where it receives sunlight and an occasional rain shower.

The Steelers should consider the same design for removing their playing surface. They could keep a back-up playing surface on 2 barges, either floating on the river or waiting somewhere along the river. When one surface goes bad they could simply winch it out, and winch in the new surface. A two barge playing surface would allow for just one seam at the 50 yard line.

This idea isn't too far fetched. I believe that enabling the winching a playing surface in and out of a stadium is a fairly simple design. Heck, if the Arizona Cardinals can pull it off then the Steelers can certainly do it. In the long run, It would definitely be less expensive than the $150,000+ bill that the Steelers shell out every November or December to replace the sod by their current methods.

Actually, if it is in a retractable roofed dome, there is no reason to have a second field.

Safeco field (Seattle Mariners, and one of the most beautiful stadiums I have seen) has a grass field. They deal with cold, rain, etc.

Granted, they DONT deal with a football team tearing it up. However, the retractable roof can and will protect the grass against the elements. What is even nicer, is that you can keep the roof open during the game, regardless of the weather... opening it just before the game, and closing it just after the game. It takes about 20 minutes for Safecom field... I imagine Heinz field could stake a shorter time.

Steel Pit
01-04-2008, 05:59 AM
Actually, if it is in a retractable roofed dome, there is no reason to have a second field.

Safeco field (Seattle Mariners, and one of the most beautiful stadiums I have seen) has a grass field. They deal with cold, rain, etc.

Granted, they DONT deal with a football team tearing it up. However, the retractable roof can and will protect the grass against the elements. What is even nicer, is that you can keep the roof open during the game, regardless of the weather... opening it just before the game, and closing it just after the game. It takes about 20 minutes for Safecom field... I imagine Heinz field could stake a shorter time.

Maybe you misunderstood, I didn't say that the Cardinals kept a spare playing surface. Nor did I suggest that the Steelers add a retractable roof to Heinz Field. The Cardinals idea was thrown in simply to make the case that winching a field surface in and out of a stadium is very feasible, pull type of winching, not lift winching.

As for Safeco Field, they may very well deal with the cold, rain, etc. but the fact remains that the Steelers DO NOT! The Steelers need a spare playing surface.

rbryan
01-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Big difference between Pittsburgh and Arizona when it comes to growing grass this time of year. There is no magical solution. If you want real grass it will look like it does now or you can put in the field turf.

Dino 6 Rings
01-04-2008, 12:12 PM
We should get that turf that the Rams use so we can have more guys break legs.

The Duke
01-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Funny how they try to twist what Bettis said to be in support of Taylor... but it really isn't.. not even close.

yeah, the media just tries to twist everything to get a story.

The field may be a little bad, but the best team will overcome it

rbryan
01-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Who cares what Fred Taylor thinks or Tony Kornheiser or whoever the hell else. If the Steeler players like it leave it a mudhole from Nov on.

I predict that fast freddie and David (master G) Garard run out of luck in the mud this Saturday. I'm looking for a couple of breaks our way early to get a lead and force Jax to throw. I want to see if Garard sports his gangster/pimp outfit in the post game interview after a loss.

CanadianSteel
01-04-2008, 12:45 PM
The more I hear other teams complain about the filed ......the more I want the Steelers to keep the crappy looking grass

Steel Pit
01-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Big difference between Pittsburgh and Arizona when it comes to growing grass this time of year. There is no magical solution. If you want real grass it will look like it does now or you can put in the field turf.

Oh, OK. Thanks for pointing that out. :thumbsup: I don't think that the Steeelers would start growing their spare playing surface during "this time of year". They would start growing the surface in the spring and maintain it until it was needed, typically late November or early December.

stillers4me
01-04-2008, 06:54 PM
The more I hear other teams complain about the filed ......the more I want the Steelers to keep the crappy looking grass

:jammin:

Preacher
01-04-2008, 07:01 PM
OK....

Let's think about this...

With teams like the Ravens and the Bengals in our division... what would they really think if we started growing a hole field of "grass"

Seriously! We want them out of town as soon as the game is over.... we don't want them looking for any spare "Grass." Who knows who will get stabbed... or if your daughters will be safe?

Steel Pit
01-05-2008, 01:49 PM
OK....

Let's think about this...

With teams like the Ravens and the Bengals in our division... what would they really think if we started growing a hole field of "grass"

Seriously! We want them out of town as soon as the game is over.... we don't want them looking for any spare "Grass." Who knows who will get stabbed... or if your daughters will be safe?

Now that's one thing that I definitely didn't think about. Good looking out Preacher. :sofunny:

Preacher
01-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Now that's one thing that I definitely didn't think about. Good looking out Preacher. :sofunny:

No problem!

Someone has to take care of their spiritual health!! :wink02: