PDA

View Full Version : Faneca may be playing last Steelers game

83-Steelers-43
01-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Faneca may be playing last Steelers game
By The Associated Press
Friday, January 4, 2008

Ten seasons, seven Pro Bowls and maybe one last game.

Few players in Pittsburgh Steelers history have performed as well in a career as Alan Faneca, arguably the NFL's best left guard and a lineman whose personality and work ethic seem a perfect match for the franchise.

Faneca is a team-first player in a sport that has increasingly become me-first, the steadiest of players in an unstable profession where one bad game can ruin a season or a career.

"My agent kept telling me before the (1999) draft he had a feeling I was coming here," Faneca said Thursday. "He kept saying, 'I think you're a fit, that's where you're going to go,' and he was right. I think I fit that Steeler mold, I guess."

After a decade with the same team, every game now could be Faneca's last with the Steelers, beginning with their AFC wild-card playoff game against Jacksonville on Saturday night.

The 31-year-old Faneca, for all of his accomplishments, is unsigned past this season and appears to have little chance of returning to Pittsburgh.

With the Steelers seeded only fourth in the AFC field, they can play again at Heinz Field in these playoffs only if they win twice and sixth-seeded Tennessee stages two upset victories.

"Ten years, yeah, it's sad, I'll take a moment, man," said Faneca, the player known as Red to his teammates because of his long, flowing red hair. "I'll have to take a moment sometime during the game to enjoy it, and think back when the game's over and I'm the last man on the field, stuff like that.

"You just take it and enjoy it."

Even if this season has been his least favorite.

Faneca felt the Steelers misled him in brief and very unsatisfactory contract talks last winter, so much so he was harshly critical of the Rooney family after reporting for a mandatory minicamp in May.

"This will be my last year as a Pittsburgh Steeler," he said.

Few, if any, Steelers players have been so openly hostile while still playing for the team, and there has been no apparent contract movement for months.

His Steelers career isn't officially over, but he fully expects to be on the free agent market in March.

"I think if it (a new contract) was going to happen it would have happened," Faneca said. "The door is never closed, but there is a point where reality sets in."

Faneca won't speculate what he might be worth, even though offensive guards were given some of the biggest deals during last year's market. Cleveland's Eric Steinbach, San Diego's Kris Dielman and Buffalo's Derrick Dockery landed deals worth a combined $52.5 million in guaranteed money and $137 million overall.

The Steelers' offer to Faneca wasn't believed to be anywhere close to comparable money, even though his $25.6 million contract in 2002 helped set the standard for guards.

Based on last year's figures, Faneca could be offered $7 million a year or more in his next contract, or far more than the $4,375,000 he's making in salary and bonuses this season.

How good has Faneca been in Pittsburgh? He was the first guard in team history to make All-Pro in successive seasons, and the first to make the Pro Bowl twice since John Nisby in 1960 and 1962. Faneca has been chosen each of the last seven seasons.

"Ten years here kind of forces you to reflect," Faneca said. "It's a big chunk of my life."

A big hole for the Steelers to fill, too.

The Steelers are known for allowing players to leave late in the careers when they feel they have a comparable replacement on hand.

Last year, they released linebacker Joey Porter, who immediately signed with Miami for $20 million guaranteed. The Steelers' lower-paid replacement, James Harrison, wound up being the team MVP and a Pro Bowl pick.

But the Steelers don't appear to have a replacement lined up for Faneca.

Their options are to plug in backup Chris Kemoeatu, draft a guard in April and start him immediately or sign a guard on the open market. Given how salaries keep increasing, it might cost them more to sign a guard than it would have to re-sign Faneca a year or two ago.

Despite the unsatisfactory contract talks, Faneca will always consider Pittsburgh to be a second home.

"There's been a lot of good times, a lot of good teams here," he said. "It's been fun here."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_545788.html

ShutDown24
01-04-2008, 12:08 AM
I was thinking about this earlier... Too bad it may be his last game... Oh well, I will be interested to see where he ends up after this year. I hope a good team.

fansince'76
01-04-2008, 12:11 AM
I was thinking about this earlier... Too bad it may be his last game... Oh well, I will be interested to see where he ends up after this year. I hope a good team.

He'll more than likely end up in Phoenix.

MACH1
01-04-2008, 12:27 AM
Lets just hope that he doesn't play to not get hurt.

Rhee Rhee
01-04-2008, 02:16 AM
Lets just hope that he doesn't play to not get hurt.

he hasnt done that at all this season... and he's made the probowl...again.. so im not too worried...

i do think it's very sad and i was upset before the season about how faneca was not coming back... he was truly a great steeler

19ward86
01-04-2008, 03:31 AM
i hope the best for him i just wish we would of traded him last year to get more than just a third round draft pick since he is a restricted free agent. i think he is the best lineman in the league and i hope he gets paid like porter, i hope he goes to a team where it wont effect us, if he goes to the bengals,browns, ravens, or pats i might shoot myself in the foot.jk.

Galax Steeler
01-04-2008, 03:57 AM
I hate to see him go also but it is time I am tired of hearing of the whinning and crying lets get some fresh blood in the line and start building for the coming years.

jjpro11
01-04-2008, 04:14 AM
i'd like to see him go to the nfc is he leaves.

roethlisbergerUK
01-04-2008, 04:21 AM
just aslong as he does,nt go to the clowns or the bungles i dont mind!!! sad to see him go though,a real loss and moreso if we dont replace him with someone capable especially with next seasons schedule.

Preacher
01-04-2008, 04:30 AM
just aslong as he does,nt go to the clowns or the bungles i dont mind!!! sad to see him go though,a real loss and moreso if we dont replace him with someone capable especially with next seasons schedule.

They way he has played this year, I don't think he is a real loss at all. He has been used a number of time. Looked lost on schemes... allowing players to blow by him... and then double-teaming other players. Now, that would be scheme... except that your DB's shouldn't be running out for swing passes at the same time.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-04-2008, 05:35 AM
i'd like to see him go to the nfc is he leaves.

I listen to ESPN out of Chicago..and the Bears are VERY interested in him!...They mention him in the same breath as trying to get McNabb at QB and/or Michael Turner at RB.

Atlanta Dan
01-04-2008, 07:27 AM
They way he has played this year, I don't think he is a real loss at all. He has been used a number of time. Looked lost on schemes... allowing players to blow by him... and then double-teaming other players. Now, that would be scheme... except that your DB's shouldn't be running out for swing passes at the same time.

The party line is he has tried to cover for Mahan - center has been a huge problem so that might explain some of the times Faneca has ben beaten this season.

The Steelers obviously decided he is not worth a long term contract at the market rate for top level guards - I have no clue as to whether that is because they had to spend money elsewhere or saw a significant drop off in his level of play. Another factor might be that Faneca was in no mood to negotiate and figured the team he had played for was pretty much gone after his comfort zone was blown up with the departures of Cowher, Whiz & Grimm

I do know that with the other problems on the OL this is a bad time to be losing Faneca even with his diminished playing level.

IMO 2008 is going to be a step back for the Steelers

HometownGal
01-04-2008, 07:47 AM

Spot on Father. :thumbsup:

Faneca will go down as one of the best guards in history and I wish him well. Someone will pay him what he wants (though with him getting "up in years" as far as OL are concerned, I don't think he's worth that kind of moola) and hey - more power to him if he can snag that kind of cash.

Thanks for the great seasons in the black and gold, Alan, and good luck to ya. :cheers:

klick81
01-04-2008, 12:02 PM
He's been a great Steeler. Just like Porter, I wish they would be able to re-sign him. But hey, you can't resign everyone.

01-04-2008, 12:09 PM
I think the Steelers need to consider the possibility of putting the Franchise Tag on Faneca. I know this is not what the Steelers normally do, and have not done since tagging Jason Gildon back in 2001(?). But the O-Line is not good now. I just can not imagine how bad it could be next year with no Faneca, and no viable replacement. I agree that Faneca's game has slipped some, but he is still better than 75% of the guards in the NFL, and just as good, if not better than the three guards (Steinbach, Davis, Dockery) who signed big deals last offseason. Obviously Faneca would not be a real happy camper if the Steelers did tag him, but that is part of the agreement that his union has agreed upon. Too bad, too sad! As for the Steelers it will give them time to draft and groom a successor, without having to make a long term financial commitment to an aging player. The next question would be, could the Steelers do this and maintain enough cap flexability to resign Ben to a long term deal, and sign any FA and their draft picks. I do not know what the one year salary for a tagged guard would be, but per Peter King, the Steelers have 43 players under contract for next season, and are currently $18.61 million under the cap.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/12/09/week14/4.html

Does anybody know what the rate is for a franchised guard in the NFL next season? Anybody else think this is something the Steelers should consider?

tony hipchest
01-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Does anybody know what the rate is for a franchised guard in the NFL next season? Anybody else think this is something the Steelers should consider?you rarely see guards and centers franchised because o-linemen are lumped together (OT=OG=C).

to franchise a center, you have to pay them the average salaries of the top 5 left tackles in the game (i dont think any center is making much more than $5 mil/year).

faneca would cost about what walter jones, j. ogden, o. pace etc. cost. about 8 mil for 1 year. this is a main reason seattle didnt want to use the franchise tag on hutchinson. even though they miscalculated the market, they felt they couldnt be paying their OG more than their potentially HOF LT.

7/39/43
01-04-2008, 12:34 PM
great player sad to lose but signing Ben is a bigger priority than Faneca, ole Keomotu(sp?) I think will hold his own lord knows he is big enough

lilyoder6
01-04-2008, 12:35 PM
idk.. either way both parties aren't going to be happy.. unless some how they can find a neutral area..

memphissteelergirl
01-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Spot on Father. :thumbsup:

Faneca will go down as one of the best guards in history and I wish him well. Someone will pay him what he wants (though with him getting "up in years" as far as OL are concerned, I don't think he's worth that kind of moola) and hey - more power to him if he can snag that kind of cash.

Thanks for the great seasons in the black and gold, Alan, and good luck to ya. :cheers:

Agreed. I respected Faneca a great deal, but his bitchin' and moanin' to the press about his contract negotiations really became a sore spot with me. I don't appreciate anyone putting their business out in the street like that. Very bad form. That said though, I recognize his phenonmenal contribution to the Steelers over the years and I wish him the best in the future.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-04-2008, 01:09 PM
IF this is going to be his last game...put his butt at LT during a playoff primetime game!!! Make a HUGE deal about it to the press and put him in a position where he has to give 150% as a NFL audition for the other 31 teams.

lilyoder6
01-04-2008, 01:13 PM
if he does leave i hope he doesn't go to a division rival..

Dino 6 Rings
01-04-2008, 01:45 PM

Great point! Don't forget a few false start penalties that had you smacking your head going...wtf? a guard doesn't move early...

rbryan
01-04-2008, 03:23 PM
I normally trust the FO to make the right decision in these matters. If Faneca hadn't cried to the press earlier this year I would be second guessing letting him walk without a decent offer. He burnt his bridge here.

IDSteeler
01-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the years Faneca. But I think the Pittsburgh FO knows what they are doing. Look at Joey Porter.

Dino 6 Rings
01-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Think Faneca might be a dolphin next season.

7/39/43
01-04-2008, 04:14 PM
he'll definately be a Cardinal re-united with his old buds

BlastFurnace
01-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Either way, he was an integral piece of our OL for many years and did it well.

He knows, and we know, the Steelers cannot give a 31 year old guard 30+ Million dollars.

It's today's NFL unfortunately.

As I said with Porter, Good luck, thanks, and cash in.

ShutDown24
01-04-2008, 04:21 PM
He'll more than likely end up in Phoenix.

I don't know... That seems to be the obvious fit but I'm just not ready to say it for sure yet.

Steeldude
01-04-2008, 04:47 PM

arizona

Steeldude
01-04-2008, 04:50 PM
oh well, it was time for him to go anyway. the guy has played average this year. he certainly isn't worth 8 mil a season.

i am worried about the center and tackles than the guards.

Glace
01-04-2008, 09:29 PM
If the way Faneca is talking is any indication of what will happen Saturday night...I expect his finest performance of the season.

Edman
01-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Big Red might leave, but the Steelers won't let him go without a fight.

http://pit.scout.com/2/717046.html

augustashark
01-04-2008, 10:53 PM
The party line is he has tried to cover for Mahan - center has been a huge problem so that might explain some of the times Faneca has ben beaten this season.

The Steelers obviously decided he is not worth a long term contract at the market rate for top level guards - I have no clue as to whether that is because they had to spend money elsewhere or saw a significant drop off in his level of play. Another factor might be that Faneca was in no mood to negotiate and figured the team he had played for was pretty much gone after his comfort zone was blown up with the departures of Cowher, Whiz & Grimm

I do know that with the other problems on the OL this is a bad time to be losing Faneca even with his diminished playing level.

IMO 2008 is going to be a step back for the Steelers

That's the funniest thing I read today. Guy makes pro bowl and he has "diminished" skills. LOL. You're right thought, most lineman are done by 32. Come on. I see Faneca playing at least 5 more years. I guess time will tell.

Preacher
01-04-2008, 10:54 PM
That's the funniest thing I read today. Guy makes pro bowl and he has "diminished" skills. LOL. You're right thought, most lineman are done by 32. Come on. I see Faneca playing at least 5 more years. I guess time will tell.

Yes. He made the probowl on reputation... nothing else.

fansince'76
01-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Yes. He made the probowl on reputation... nothing else.

Agreed.

augustashark
01-04-2008, 11:01 PM
disagree.

MasterOfPuppets
01-04-2008, 11:22 PM
ummmm.....do you really believe polomalu was a top 3 safety this year ??? i think not.....same goes for faneca and ogden....:coffee:

MasterOfPuppets
01-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Big Red might leave, but the Steelers won't let him go without a fight.

http://pit.scout.com/2/717046.html same line = same results....its time for some new blood....:thumbsup:

augustashark
01-04-2008, 11:28 PM
ummmm.....do you really believe polomalu was a top 3 safety this year ??? i think not.....same goes for faneca and ogden....:coffee:

Polomalu was'nt play SS and FS at the same time, Faneca played guard and center. The only thing he did'nt do is snap the ball.:coffee:

MasterOfPuppets
01-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Polomalu was'nt play SS and FS at the same time, Faneca played guard and center. The only thing he did'nt do is snap the ball.:coffee:my point was, even though he had a horrible season, he still made the probowl...now ask yourself why.

augustashark
01-04-2008, 11:51 PM
my point was, even though he had a horrible season, he still made the probowl...now ask yourself why.

MOP, I unerstand that some players are going to make the pro bowl on reputation alone, but I don't think this was the case with Faneca. We had the leading running back in the NFL when the polls closed. I won't sit here and say that I agreed with letting go of all the players we've lost due to free angency, but the one I knew was a mistake was Woodson. I feel the sameway about Faneca as I did Woodson. Like I said before, I think he has 5 good years left in him, I would rather those years be in Pittsburgh.

Haiku_Dirtt
01-05-2008, 12:34 AM
SADLY SO.

Hey. I'm ready for the continued change. We need to move on.

It is a time like this that makes ownership rise to the occasion. While the Rooney's don't spend money like "drunken sailors" they better be spending money on research. The SOS can't be any louder.

Rebuild the line.

JackHammer
01-05-2008, 12:56 AM
Goodbye, good riddance, and thanks for your contributions.

augustashark
01-05-2008, 01:11 AM
Goodbye, good riddance, and thanks for your contributions.

Good riddance, then thanks for your contributions. LOL, Nice!

Preacher
01-05-2008, 01:25 AM
MOP, I unerstand that some players are going to make the pro bowl on reputation alone, but I don't think this was the case with Faneca. We had the leading running back in the NFL when the polls closed. I won't sit here and say that I agreed with letting go of all the players we've lost due to free angency, but the one I knew was a mistake was Woodson. I feel the sameway about Faneca as I did Woodson. Like I said before, I think he has 5 good years left in him, I would rather those years be in Pittsburgh.

yes.. but if you go back and watch his runs... they were not out of the holes he created... heck, a lot of those runs are because he made something happen himself.

Now, is that to say that Fanaca can't block? No. But he isn't the player he used to be. And more to the point, we now are a balanced offense, and fanaca is NOT a lineman that can passblock and help create a pocket. He is a run blocker. We need Pass blockers who can ALSO run block now.

augustashark
01-05-2008, 01:42 AM
yes.. but if you go back and watch his runs... they were not out of the holes he created... heck, a lot of those runs are because he made something happen himself.

Now, is that to say that Fanaca can't block? No. But he isn't the player he used to be. And more to the point, we now are a balanced offense, and fanaca is NOT a lineman that can passblock and help create a pocket. He is a run blocker. We need Pass blockers who can ALSO run block now.

I could not disagree more. If you go back and watch film of this season and study his play, I think you will find that not only is he our best lineman, but still has the skills to be an elite guard in this league. Was this his best season, I don't think so, but then again he's only as good as the other linemen around you. Marvel has been hurting and Mahan has played poorly. $$ aside, we will see what the coaches have to say at seasons end about trying to keep him or letting him go, because they know much better then you or I.

rpv
01-05-2008, 06:20 AM
He may come back..heard it on Fox 970Am last night.

http://www.steelergridiron.com/information/stillersforum.html

SO ALSO MAX STARKS

SteelDogFan
01-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Here is the article;

From SteelCityInsider

The Pittsburgh Steelers understand what it takes to remain an elite team, so they're not about to let Alan Faneca and Max Starks walk out the door without trying to keep them. Read what the front office has in mind.

PITTSBURGH ? The Steelers don?t expect the season to end for another month, but the front office is prepared to plow ahead with an off-season plan that involves competitive contract offers to both Alan Faneca and Max Starks.

?We?re going to take a run at both of them,? said a high-level source with the team.

When asked to assess the possibility the Steelers can sign either player, the source said: ?Fifty-fifty on each.?

The Steelers have found themselves in dire straits along the offensive line with the recent back problems being endured by left tackle Marvel Smith.

Smith was replaced ably by Starks, who came off the bench the last month of the season and showed how well he can play when his weight?s under control. But Starks injured the meniscus cartilage in his left knee and was put on injured reserve this week.

The Steelers don?t expect the recent surgery to impede the progress Starks has made, thus the renewed interest in the 6-foot-8 tackle.

As for Faneca and his perception of his Steelers career, Faneca said only two days ago: ?I go with the assumption it?s over.?

He might be right, considering the Steelers normally wouldn?t pay a 31-year-old guard the exorbitant salary it?ll take to keep him. But Faneca, who made his 96th consecutive regular-season start last week and his seventh consecutive Pro Bowl three weeks ago, hasn?t shown any signs of slowing down.

And then there was this comment from Larry Zierlein earlier this week:

?I wouldn?t be surprised to see Alan finish his career as a center because he?s just so smart,? said the Steelers? offensive line coach.

After a season of inconsistent play at that position, the Steelers would no doubt like to do with Faneca what they should?ve done to keep Rod Woodson: Offer the big contract with the caveat of the player moving to another position as he slows down.

Woodson did, in fact, finish his career as a free safety. He left the Steelers following the 1996 season and didn?t retire until the end of the 2003 season.

Faneca was asked about the prospect of finishing his career as the Steelers? next great center.

?I?d be open to listening,? he said. ?I?m not saying I would do that or be against it. I?d definitely be open-minded and talk about it with whomever.?

The Steelers also believe Faneca might give them a slight break, or ?hometown discount,? because of his wife Julie?s affinity for Pittsburgh.

?We made lots of great friends here,? Faneca admitted. ?No one ever said it would be easy.?

But it doesn?t have to be so difficult. The front office watched quarterback Ben Roethlisberger absorb 47 sacks this season and realizes that losing two of the team?s best linemen is not the proper direction to take. And with a reported $18.6 million available under the projected 2008 salary cap, the Steelers have the means to take whatever direction they wish
__________________________________________________ _________

It would be very nice if they could resign Faneca, but after all the blocks hes thrown that opened holes for TDs, I just hope he plays where he happy. He plowed the yard for alot of touchdowns in Steelers history.

Haiku_Dirtt
01-05-2008, 12:30 PM
I could not disagree more. If you go back and watch film of this season and study his play, I think you will find that not only is he our best lineman, but still has the skills to be an elite guard in this league. Was this his best season, I don't think so, but then again he's only as good as the other linemen around you. Marvel has been hurting and Mahan has played poorly. $$ aside, we will see what the coaches have to say at seasons end about trying to keep him or letting him go, because they know much better then you or I.

For the most part I agree. Every now and then you can't say there were no flaws in his season. It's poposterious to expect total perfection from him.

Sanitize the issue - total offensive production - and it doesn't add up. How in the hell did we do what we did with the offensive lineman that we have. Talk about pulling rabbits out of hats. One has to credit Faneca for keeping the house of cards standing long enough to make the playoffs.

Soon the magic will go.

MasterOfPuppets
01-05-2008, 01:05 PM
?I?d be open to listening,? he said. ?I?m not saying I would do that or be against it. I?d definitely be open-minded and talk about it with whomever.?
translation - money talks......whoever writes the biggest check,has my attention.

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Here is the article;

From SteelCityInsider

As for Faneca and his perception of his Steelers career, Faneca said only two days ago: “I go with the assumption it’s over.”

He might be right, considering the Steelers normally wouldn’t pay a 31-year-old guard the exorbitant salary it’ll take to keep him. But Faneca, who made his 96th consecutive regular-season start last week and his seventh consecutive Pro Bowl three weeks ago, hasn’t shown any signs of slowing down.

And then there was this comment from Larry Zierlein earlier this week:

“I wouldn’t be surprised to see Alan finish his career as a center because he’s just so smart,” said the Steelers’ offensive line coach.

After a season of inconsistent play at that position, the Steelers would no doubt like to do with Faneca what they should’ve done to keep Rod Woodson: Offer the big contract with the caveat of the player moving to another position as he slows down.

I just hope he plays where he happy. He plowed the yard for alot of touchdowns in Steelers history.

Contrary to the popular myth, Woodson did not leave over $$$ - after his knee injury he had slowed down and Cowher wanted to move him to safety - Woodson then went to the 49ers for a 1 and done year so he could remain at CB - after confronting reality, Rod moved on to a great second leg of his career as a safety.

As for Alan's next uniform, it is touching that Faneca's wife likes Pittsburgh, but my understanding is the Fanecas do not live in Pittsburgh in the offseason, so even if there was a possibility of a "hometown discount" the Burgh is not the Faneca's "hometown." The Fanecas will be happy wherever they get the maximum payday.

The Steelers are not going to break the bank for a 31 year old guard - short term the OL will be in ruins but long term the Steelers need to worry about having $$ on hand to sign players such as Heath Miller, Holmes and #7.

Assuming Ben is not beat up beyond repair as the OL is rebuilt, saying goodbye to Alan is short-term pain but long-term gain.

VegasStlrFan
01-05-2008, 02:07 PM
This year he has been average at best. Yes he made the Pro Bowl, but IMO that is largely do to his name and past history, not this year's work. His best years are behind him. I am also sick of hearing about his contract woes in the press. The Steelers are making another good decision in letting someone else pay a premium for a player on the back end of ther carear. If he can get a big pay day, good for him, but it will not be the straw the breaks the camels back. Ben has had people hanging on him all year, no one on the O-line is above average this year.

Personally, I think losing Porter was a much bigger loss than Faneca is going to be. Porter was the emotional leader on the "D" and that is definetely what we are missing this year.

Steeldude
01-05-2008, 02:09 PM
the steelers shoud have never signed simmons to that overpriced contract.

faneca wants 8 mil a year to be an average guard in his 30's.

Steeldude
01-05-2008, 02:13 PM

the pro bowl hasn't meant a thing for many, many years. pro bowl is based on popularity and/or veteran status.

faneca has played poorly this year.

BlastFurnace
01-05-2008, 02:44 PM
This year he has been average at best. Yes he made the Pro Bowl, but IMO that is largely do to his name and past history, not this year's work. His best years are behind him. I am also sick of hearing about his contract woes in the press. The Steelers are making another good decision in letting someone else pay a premium for a player on the back end of ther carear. If he can get a big pay day, good for him, but it will not be the straw the breaks the camels back. Ben has had people hanging on him all year, no one on the O-line is above average this year.

Personally, I think losing Porter was a much bigger loss than Faneca is going to be. Porter was the emotional leader on the "D" and that is definetely what we are missing this year.

I watched the 2005 America's Game last night and watched how Porter interacted with the team. Harrison's #'s may be better, but Porter sure had the emotional command of the team and Cowher indicated it himself. That show made that loud and clear.

We do miss Joey, but our hands were tied in this situation. There is no way we could have made him financially happy.

Preacher
01-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Contrary to the popular myth, Woodson did not leave over $$$ - after his knee injury he had slowed down and Cowher wanted to move him to safety - Woodson then went to the 49ers for a 1 and done year so he could remain at CB - after confronting reality, Rod moved on to a great second leg of his career as a safety.

Ding Ding Ding!!

The Duke
01-05-2008, 11:23 PM
so....was that his last game? we're not sure yet, but I just hope he enjoyed it. the line as a whole didn't protect ben or open many holes for najeh, but I sure hope he enjoyed his pittsburgh career

Galax Steeler
01-06-2008, 06:40 AM
so....was that his last game? we're not sure yet, but I just hope he enjoyed it. the line as a whole didn't protect ben or open many holes for najeh, but I sure hope he enjoyed his pittsburgh career

You never know what we might pull out of the wood works it would be nice to get him resigned but I don't see it.

VTsteel
01-27-2008, 11:49 AM
I am curious. Does anyone know what the Steelers actually offered him this last spring?

I've looked around and can't find any mention of what the offer really was.

I know this year he made $4.375 million ($1 million roster bonus included).

Personally, "Red" is one of my favorite linemen ever . . . right up there with "Dirt" Dawson. I just think he's being a little greedy if he expects to be paid in the 7-9 million dollar range. That's a lot of cake considering the average fan makes less than $50k each year.

Just because other teams over-paid their guards in the past couple years - Does not mean the Steelers should be expected to. I mean c'mon, Mr. Faneca - If you had to work a 9-5 job like the rest of us . . . You'd be grateful to be making millions playing a game.

So, does anyone know what the Steelers actually offered him last spring?