PDA

View Full Version : Patriots* Wilfork fined

stillers4me
01-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Patriots* Wilfork fined for third time this season
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
Updated: January 4, 2008, 5:23 PM ET

New England Patriots* nose tackle Vince Wilfork has been fined $15,000 by the NFL for what the league considered unsportsmanlike conduct during last Saturday night's regular-season finale against the New York Giants.

The fine is the third this season against the Pro Bowl defender.

The sanction against Wilfork, a four-year veteran, was first reported by The Boston Globe and was confirmed to ESPN.com by league officials.

Wilfork was accused of poking his finger in the face mask of Giants tailback Brandon Jacobs. The play occurred late in the first half and Wilfork was not penalized by game officials.

On the play in question, Giants quarterback Eli Manning completed a seven-yard pass to tight end Kevin Boss with about 30 seconds remaining in the half. With the clock running and the Giants in a hurry-up offense, game officials penalized Patriots* linebacker Junior Seau for delay of game for intentionally interfering with Boss as he tried to get up and make his way back to the line of scrimmage.

There was some jostling between the two teams, and during the brief skirmish, it appeared Wilfork poked his finger toward Jacobs' face. Wilfork later said the act was accidental and that he was not trying to provoke the Giants tailback. But league officials determined during their routine video review of the games that the action did constitute unsportsmanlike conduct.

It is not known if Wilfork, the Patriots* first-round pick in the 2004 draft, will appeal the fine.

In earlier incidents this season, Wilfork was fined $5,000 for drawing an unsportsmanlike conduct foul during the Oct. 14 game at Dallas. He also drew a $12,500 fine for a low hit on Buffalo Bills quarterback J.P. Losman during a Sept. 23 game. On that play, in which Wilfork appeared to drive his arm into Losman's knee, Losman suffered a sprained knee ligament that sidelined him for two games.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3181701

Borski
01-04-2008, 05:17 PM
What a joke, that type of play needs a 1 game suspention, a 15k fine is weak compared to what he tried to do.

Lord Stiller
01-04-2008, 05:59 PM
Absolutely ridiculous!

This is Wilfork's 3rd fine of the season and that's all he got? Goodell is really stupid with the fines

jjpro11
01-04-2008, 06:11 PM
he seems to be learning well from his dirt bag teammate rodney harrison.

Preacher
01-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Well...

did we really expect anything else?

Steeler in Carolina
01-04-2008, 06:41 PM
That is about what I expected. Now, if that would have been any other player on another team, they would have been suspended.

Newzfoxjr
01-04-2008, 07:22 PM
It SHOULD'VE been something else. But it is what we expected.

Wilpoke = loser. >_>

rbryan
01-04-2008, 08:41 PM
One more example of looking the other way no matter what the patsies do. This is ridiculous.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-04-2008, 09:08 PM
That's fine because karma is a bitch, the Pats will find out when they lose in the playoffs.

touchdownward
01-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Where are all the patty apologists that were on here defending the guy when it happened? :eye::huh:

BlastFurnace
01-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Once again, Goodell bows down to the Patriots.

He plays tough with every other team but them.

CASTEEL
01-04-2008, 10:57 PM
I'll join the "didn't expect much from freakin' Goodell - but still pissed as hell" crowd.

What a bunch of :poop:

The Patriot
01-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Hey a found another conspiracy for you guys to bicker over. What is Brady sniffing in this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anmKNUu8AWo :blah:

CASTEEL
01-05-2008, 12:09 AM
Hey a found another conspiracy for you guys to bicker over. What is Brady sniffing in this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anmKNUu8AWo :blah:

What are you still doing here....

Ok.... that was damn funny .... lol....

Tom Brady smokin' pole on the sidelines.....

Gotta hand it to you - I don't think I'd EVER post a link to my teams QB smokin' pole on the sideline ... then again, come to think of it, Ben wouldn't do that - so there goes that idea....

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-05-2008, 06:33 AM
What a joke, that type of play needs a 1 game suspention, a 15k fine is weak compared to what he tried to do.

OHHHH Noone has the balls to step in front of the history-making Patriots.

If the world were to find out that Belichick was the Zodiak Killer.... Robert Kraft would pay the bail...and the Commish would wait until Feb 4th to make a decision about how having a serial killer as a head coach may have a negative impact on the publics perception of the NFL.

HometownGal
01-05-2008, 07:16 AM
I'll join the "didn't expect much from freakin' Goodell - but still pissed as hell" crowd.

What a bunch of :poop:

You needed to add:

"didn't expect much from freakin' Goodell when it comes to the Pats*"

I hope all of the other 31 teams in the NFL are paying attention to this. From this point on, when playing the Pats*, it's fair game to DO THE MOE! :thumbsup:

Rinkleroot
01-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Its bad enough that Wilfork didn't get penalized and ejected from the game , he most certainly should have gotten suspended for at least one game. I bet if a Giants player had of done the same thing to a pats player flags would have been thrown from every one of the refs. Its sickening how the refs have the Pats backs this year.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-05-2008, 07:41 AM
Its bad enough that Wilfork didn't get penalized and ejected from the game , he most certainly should have gotten suspended for at least one game. I bet if a Giants player had of done the same thing to a pats player flags would have been thrown from every one of the refs. Its sickening how the refs have the Pats backs this year.

If they will penalize a Giant 15 yards at a crucial point in the game because a Patriot tripped over a ref......yea...I think your right.

The Patriot
01-05-2008, 09:18 AM

No they don't. If they did they would have called that late hit on Moss that almost took him out of the game. I know you guys saw it. Moss was just watching the play on the other side of the field when he got hit from behind by a well aimed hit. What, all fun and games right?

rbryan
01-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Funny you bring up the Jets again. Crawl back under your rock. Patsies are cheaters and anyone who still supports them is a scumbag.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Wilfork is a great player and he got fined for what happened. I'm sure he learned his lesson.

People hate the Pats cause they are successful. Steeler fans wish they could have a team that doesn't get beat by the Jets.

Beat = Fine by all of us
Cheat =Your team and all its bandwagon jumping fans can drill holes in your heads and let the sap run out.

I hate the pats for the same reason I hate barry Bonds...the whole body of their work needs an asterik.

NEDynasty
01-05-2008, 10:39 AM
I think its great how everyone hates the Patriots. The Patriots team doesn't care they still got the 3 Trophys and are laughing at everyone else. People always hate greatness and I accept that It is ok just realize what you are witnessing maybe the best team ever. Maybe if Wilfork had actually poked him in the eye instead of just pointing in his face he would be suspended but he didn't.

fansince'76
01-05-2008, 10:51 AM
I think its great how everyone hates the Patriots. The Patriots team doesn't care they still got the 3 Trophys and are laughing at everyone else. People always hate greatness and I accept that It is ok just realize what you are witnessing maybe the best team ever. Maybe if Wilfork had actually poked him in the eye instead of just pointing in his face he would be suspended but he didn't.

Yep, we're very aware that they don't care how they win, and that is up to and including cheating. Keep laughing it up. :coffee: :yawn:

fansince'76
01-05-2008, 10:52 AM
No they don't. If they did they would have called that late hit on Moss that almost took him out of the game. I know you guys saw it. Moss was just watching the play on the other side of the field when he got hit from behind by a well aimed hit. What, all fun and games right?

:crying01:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-05-2008, 10:52 AM

You'll notice YOU came to OUR forum....because you recognize greatness.:thumbsup:

5 superbowl victories...18 division titles since the merger...22 playoff appearances...
...and the best part?

WE will never have an * beside our season!!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-05-2008, 10:59 AM

What I saw was a non-TD against the Ravens...and a 15 yard penalty against the Giants for your player tripping over a ref....so please...keep crying about how poor Randy got hit on a play.
If he wasnt such a selfish piece of crap he would have been blocking instead of watching the play

silver & black
01-05-2008, 11:54 AM
I can't say that I'm shocked. I didn't expect Goodell to step up and do the right thing... after all, it wasn't like he expressed his ire to a ref, like Sapp did... which resulted in a 75k fine. All Wilfork did was try to poke a guy's eye out... I can understand why the punishment was lenient. :rolleyes:

steelers2685
01-05-2008, 01:15 PM
He's a Patriot, so it's OK.

Honestly, it's embarassing how the NFL has treated Patriots this year when it has come to fines. A mere fine for cheating first off, which should have resulted in forfeiting instead.

This most recent action was definitely deliberate. For him to say it was an accident is a pure joke. He should've been fined $25k and suspended for their first playoff game. What a joke the NFL has become with handling these instances...

I don't know if any of you noticed the referree involved with the scuffle (his # was 122), but he saw it happen and did not throw a flag. What in the world is that about??

jjpro11
01-05-2008, 01:31 PM

nobody hates you because your team is good.. they hate you because you team and fans are idiot scum bags. you arent the bulls of the 90s, 49ers of the 80s, steelers of the 70s, etc.. people disliked those teams because they were so good, but respected them as a team for what they brought to the court/field. the patriots dont have anyone's respect.. at least not mine. the only reason they are pulling in such high ratings this year is because everybody wants to see them lose or brady go down. you arent gaining fans from those ratings other than the typical band wagoner that goest from team to team.

we built our huge fan base from people who started watching in the 70s and liked the way we played and what we stood for. they never jumped off in the 80s because of the respect and love for the team they had.

The Patriot
01-05-2008, 01:36 PM
nobody hates you because your team is good.. they hate you because you team and fans are idiot scum bags. you arent the bulls of the 90s, 49ers of the 80s, steelers of the 70s, etc.. people disliked those teams because they were so good, but respected them as a team for what they brought to the court/field. the patriots dont have anyone's respect.. at least not mine. the only reason they are pulling in such high ratings this year is because everybody wants to see them lose or brady go down. you arent gaining fans from those ratings other than the typical band wagoner that goest from team to team.

we built our huge fan base from people who started watching in the 70s and liked the way we played and what we stood for. they never jumped off in the 80s because of the respect and love for the team they had.

You guys do know it's only a game. There is no reason to hate anyone.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-05-2008, 01:50 PM

We don't hate the game ...we hate the Cheaters.

stillers4me
01-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Hate is such an ugly thing.

But then so is cheating.

stillers4me
01-05-2008, 02:11 PM
I had a good laugh yesterday.........

One of my Bungal coworkers has conveniently become a Pats* fan. She was going on about how great the were and several of us pointed out that cheaters usually have the advantage and can play pretty good. She got all huffy and said that all the teams cheat, yada, yada, yada.

I just looked at her and said.....wow..........amazing. The Bengals cheat and they're still that bad?????????

She just walked away..............:sofunny:

The Duke
01-05-2008, 02:15 PM
I had a good laugh yesterday.........

One of my Bungal coworkers has conveniently become a Pats* fan. She was going on about how great the were and several of us pointed out that cheaters usually have the advantage and can play pretty good. She got all huffy and said that all the teams cheat, yada, yada, yada.

I just looked at her and said.....wow..........amazing. The Bengals cheat and they're still that bad????????? She just walked away..............:sofunny:

that's why the bengals suck :toofunny:

That's a good point. kinda the reason I don't really hate the pats, but I gotta admit a lot of their fans get on my nerves many times, and I do not support Belichick's cheating, even if he did it only once it is unacceptable to me.

Rhee Rhee
01-06-2008, 06:36 PM
should have a one game suspension not 15Gs... like he even cares about 15,000

Rhee Rhee
01-06-2008, 06:38 PM

that is y no one likes u guys...cause of smart aleccomments like that