jasonhightower
01-05-2008, 11:38 PM
If we win this, I won't believe it.

Steeler in Carolina
Unreal.

Steeldude
playing not to lose has cost the steelers AGAIN!

tomlin gets an "F"

Tim
Well, that was a sad way to end the game.

Steelfeel
that was lame

dbcahill
What a stupid f*cking way to lose the game.

Preacher
In the end...

OUR O LINE LOSES IT FOR US.

The Duke
it's over.....

good season steelers!

CantStop85
Welcome back to my world. lol

rgj
OH sweet Jesus........fumble........game, match, season over.

touchdownward
Fumble.....ballgame....season.

Hamer
01-05-2008, 11:39 PM
How appropriate.

jasonhightower
Can't take a sack Ben.

Wow how insightful was this...

BlastFurnace
I don't care....I am pulling for NE next week.

I hate Jacksonville.

HometownGal
OFFENSIVE LINE - BITE ME.

SteelersMongol
Jags kicker Scooby-Doo is better than ours?

JackHammer
Whoever the O-lineman was, and Najeh, THATS PATHETIC BLOCKING!

OneForTheToe
That's the old ball game. Can't blame Ben for that one. the DE beat Essex and Davenport.

Transplanted Steeler Fan
middle of the field will be wide open

Guess you have to see it to throw it there..

Good Season guys.. looking forward to next year.:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt 02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02 :

Edman
That'll do it.

That's just a damned shame. That last Offensive drive we had killed it.

WE HAD THIS GAME.

jasonhightower
Well, the GM has some work to do this year, not a lot but some very important work to do.

Steeler in Carolina
Play calling is what lost this game. Typical Steelers. Get a lead and then go away from what was working.

HometownGal
01-05-2008, 11:40 PM

I hate Jacksonville.

I can't hate a team that fought just as hard as we did to come back. I'm pullin' for Jax all the way.

SteelDogFan
THAT WAS A GOOD GAME. TOMARROW ILL BE TRADING IN MY MADDEN GAME.

gster
look on the bright side - we went down fighting

we'd have been murdered by New England....

jasonhightower
01-05-2008, 11:41 PM
No team should win a game with those QB stats.... I want JAX and NE to lose next week... is that possible. I may pull for the Colts.

Hamer

I hate Jacksonville.

I hope the Jagwads win the freakin super bowl.

SteelersMongol
Wow. Oh well, V did try. There is another season coming up in few months.

Steeler in Carolina
01-05-2008, 11:42 PM

I hate Jacksonville.

I will disagree. I can't pull for NE no matter who they are playing. Also, Jacksonville plays Steeler football.

RunWillieRun
01-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Sucks that it came down to a missed call on the 32yrd garrard run (harrison was held, no call, of course) Thanks for nothing refs...

SteelCityMan786
01-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Those PAT's Came back to bite us.

BlastFurnace
01-05-2008, 11:47 PM
I am so disappointed in whoever called that 3rd and 6 play when we had the ball. That is no way to try to win a game.

You don't play to lose. You play to win. On that last offensive series, we didn't play to win.

Hamer
01-05-2008, 11:50 PM
OK. Well....
All in all, Good 1st season for Mike. matches Cowher with an early playoff exit by a field goal, if I recall.

I hope he remembers that 3rd down call, playing not to lose.
But for the most part- good job Mike!

On that note:
Let's go Penguins!!!

SteelersMongol
01-05-2008, 11:50 PM
I'd be rooting 4 any team that is playing against the "New England Cameramen"

SteelCityMan786
01-05-2008, 11:52 PM

The Duke
01-05-2008, 11:54 PM

I bet Tomlin feels bad about it, but he shouldn't, and I know many "experts" will be using that against him.

Tomlin's 1st season is over and it was a good one, but this guy said he's not gonna be patient about winning a super bowl. he'll get the job done

Steelers for 2009 Super Bowl Champions!

Steelfeel
01-05-2008, 11:57 PM
The Jags wont go far in this competition, the Patriots wont give them the 3 interceptions but they beat us fair and square

Go Steelers...go Woodley, go Pittsburgh

OneForTheToe
01-05-2008, 11:57 PM

Maybe, It is hinesight f course. I agree with madden it was a good idea until we had it at the 12 yard line. But remember Jacksonvillie made it the whole way to the two yard line when not even trying to score a TD. I think the 4th down run by Gerrad broke our back.

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2008, 11:58 PM
I am so disappointed in whoever called that 3rd and 6 play when we had the ball. That is no way to try to win a game.

You don't play to lose. You play to win. On that last offensive series, we didn't play to win.

The 3rd and 6 QB keeper call had all the trademarks of my favorite OC - being too clever for his own good - they had not stopped Miller or Ward the entire second half

A fitting ending to the season - inability to run the ball when necessary, bizarre playcalling, and the D cannot make a crucial stop (on a QB run through where Aaron Smith would have been)

More thoughts tomorrow - I suppose I should feel worse but this team played its heart out in the second half & that is something to carry into next season

touchdownward
01-05-2008, 11:58 PM
As much as it pains me to say this now that I'm still stinging from this loss, but I hope the Jags win the whole damn thing.

eafratitpm3
01-05-2008, 11:59 PM
I feel sick for our players that they didn't win due to piss poor coaching the last 4 minutes in the game. IMO that was the Steeler blueprint of recent. Get a lead and then just play to lose. I didn't watch the last four minutes as I was on my way to work but when Jax punted to us the last time. I told myself here we go, we're not going to play to win we're going to play to punt and put it on the D. By the way great punt Sep.

Steelfeel
01-06-2008, 12:03 AM
-no willie parker
-no arron smith
-Ben gives them 3 gifts
and we almost killed them...I hope the Jags get blown out of the next game...

Watch out for Steelers next year

DP_Steeler
01-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Like many of you, I was dreading the results when we had the ball on offense for the last time ... I kept thinking ... don't go three-an-out ... too many times this year they have sat back, content to take ther chances ...

Can't play like that and expect to win!

HometownGal
01-06-2008, 12:12 AM
-I hope the Jags get blown out of the next game...

I cannot dislike a team that battled just as hard as we did and won that battle. They are a darned good football team and I'm going to pull for them to go all the way.

DP_Steeler
01-06-2008, 12:13 AM
Sometimes getting killed by 14+ points makes you feel better ... this game leaves a bad taste in my mouth because even though we played a horrible first half, we had a chance to win it, and despite all the things that could have gone bad in the late stages of the game, IMO, this game was lost due to poor play calling ... as many of you have said, 3rd and six, and the best you can do is come up with a lame bootleg for a not too mobile QB? That play may have had some value in the first quarter, but at that stage of the game we needed a first down to clinch the game ... at least the Jag would have gotten the ball with way less time on the clock ...

Like others have said, you need to play to win, not play to not lose! Horrible play selection ... can't understand why we would not call a quick pass play to Miller or Ward with all the success they had. I'd rather get blown away then lose due to poor play selections.

VegasStlrFan
01-06-2008, 12:14 AM
sorry folks,,,,,but the steelers gave that one away. Great game though, despite the BS call on the 2 pt conversion. I hope for bad weather in New England land and the JAGs can win......I cant believe i just said that

Edman
01-06-2008, 12:14 AM
Even though I late losing, I can't hate the Jaguars. They are a good team.

Besides, we'll see them again next year.

DP_Steeler
01-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Play calling is what lost this game. Typical Steelers. Get a lead and then go away from what was working.
Amen brother! Unfortunately it has happened too many other times this year ... that is the big difference between Pittsburgh and a few other teams like NE ... they go for the win ...

VegasStlrFan
01-06-2008, 12:19 AM
Sometimes getting killed by 14+ points makes you feel better ... this game leaves a bad taste in my mouth because even though we played a horrible first half, we had a chance to win it, and despite all the things that could have gone bad in the late stages of the game, IMO, this game was lost due to poor play calling ... as many of you have said, 3rd and six, and the best you can do is come up with a lame bootleg for a not too mobile QB? That play may have had some value in the first quarter, but at that stage of the game we needed a first down to clinch the game ... at least the Jag would have gotten the ball with way less time on the clock ...

Like others have said, you need to play to win, not play to not lose! Horrible play selection ... can't understand why we would not call a quick pass play to Miller or Ward with all the success they had. I'd rather get blown away then lose due to poor play selections.

I aggee that was a bad call......that we had control of.

fansince'76
01-06-2008, 12:20 AM
I feel sick for our players that they didn't win due to piss poor coaching the last 4 minutes in the game. IMO that was the Steeler blueprint of recent. Get a lead and then just play to lose. I didn't watch the last four minutes as I was on my way to work but when Jax punted to us the last time. I told myself here we go, we're not going to play to win we're going to play to punt and put it on the D. By the way great punt Sep.

If the same players would have executed in the 1st half, maybe we wouldn't have been in that predicament.

VegasStlrFan
01-06-2008, 12:28 AM
If the same players would have executed in the 1st half, maybe we wouldn't have been in that predicament.

thats it, you have job on ESPN waiting for you. You cant dig a hole that big and expect to win.

VegasStlrFan
01-06-2008, 12:30 AM
im out.... the beer is still cold and i have some sulking to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hamer
01-06-2008, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eafratitpm3

It all goes together- The coaches called the plays and the players executed them in the 2nd half to get the lead back. If Ben ran for the first we'd all be saying 'great play calling'.

steelers2685
01-06-2008, 02:47 AM
If Ben ran for the first we'd all be saying 'great play calling'.

Unfortunately for the Steelers, passing the ball was working out so nicely that I don't understand why they chose three running plays deep in their own end at that pivotal point in the game. This has been common throughout the year with them that they want to rely on the run game in these situations but they just haven't had it this year. FWP did have a phenomenal season, but it was full of ups and downs running the ball.

Besides that, not only did Ben give the play away right off the bat, but the LT (forget who it was at this point in the night) ran out too wide assuming Ben was following. He should've taken the inside block to clear room for Ben on the outside, because the inside guy ended up blowing the play up who he missed. I don't know if this is a valid point or not, but grant it Ben has more power at the line of scrimmage this year calling audibles and checks, but even in this case tonight with the blown up 3rd down sneak, that side of the Jags D was stacked, why didn't he audible out and run to the right? That's an area where I hope some changes will be made for 2008, giving some more power back to the O-coordinator to check out of plays.

I do agree Harrision was held on that last drive, but of course it wasn't called.

Give the Jags credit though. They may not have had fantastic numbers, but they made plays when it counted the most. Second half you didn't hear much from them, but the 3rd down stop, the run by Garrard, and holding the Steelers on the 2 pt conversion were all fantastic plays that they pulled through on.

Cheer for the Jags though next week. I was really hoping to win tonight so we could go back to NE and spoil their 'perfect' season and make up for all of hte times they have beat us in the playoffs since 96 or so.

Moving on to 2008....

Preacher
01-06-2008, 02:53 AM
It all goes together- The coaches called the plays and the players executed them in the 2nd half to get the lead back. If Ben ran for the first we'd all be saying 'great play calling'.

Yep.

Just like we were ticked at the Screen passes a couple weeks ago, but was excited about the screens this week, because they worked.

klick81
01-06-2008, 11:57 PM
*sigh*

Just logged in since before the loss...what a great game. I'm very satisfied with the player's performance (in the second half). They left everything out there last night, and you can't ask for anything else. The playcalling however...well that's for another thread.

Good season guys.

Hines0wnz
01-10-2008, 08:51 PM
I was driving through snow during this game and actually was sitting for several hours while an avalanche was cleared. I did manage to listen to a good part of the game. I'm glad they had the fire to come back in the second half......but disappointed at the end for playing not to win. Hopefully Tomlin learned a lot this season and will bring the noise next. His first draft will tell us a lot about his thought process. Still a pretty good season overall. Just need to put it all together for 2008 and kick some Patsie ass. :helmet: