PDA

View Full Version : Big Thanks Go Out To Big Ben;

ChronoCross
01-05-2008, 09:56 PM
I would just like to Thank Big Ben and the Special Teams for loosing the game in the First half.

Ricco Suavez
01-05-2008, 10:00 PM
I would like to thank Big Ben also. A great year and most likely the only reason we made the Playoffs.

JackHammer
01-05-2008, 10:10 PM
It's safe to say Big Ben's upside outweighs any one bad performance that he has. You gotta take the good with the bad.

Edman
01-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Ben has been carrying this team on his back for 16 weeks. Yes, he had a horrible game tonight, but he's earned his new contract.

Give props to Jacksonville. They are the better team. Losing to them 4 times in a row cannot emphasize that enough.

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2008, 10:31 PM
This team is 6-10 without Ben - I agree he was a big cause of tonight's loss but without him the Steelers would be watching the playoffs

SteelSurf
01-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Ben has been carrying this team on his back for 16 weeks. Yes, he had a horrible game tonight, but he's earned his new contract.

Give props to Jacksonville. They are the better team. Losing to them 4 times in a row cannot emphasize that enough.

exactly. well said. :cheers:

SteelSurf
01-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Plenty of time to win this game. It could happen. Alot of you ketboard commados may be eating some crow if the Steelers prevail. PMA=Positive Mental Attitude

19ward86
01-05-2008, 11:49 PM
thank you, i dont want to sound like a jerk but ben screwed us, he neil odonelled us. idc what everyone thinks, he threw 3 picks that easily could of been considered passes TO their defense. i thought that we would lose 47-17 but it doesnt matter that we lost 2, the way we played we also lost our good rep and i think some of the players lost respect for ben. this might sound derastic to some but 3 picks in the first half is unforgivable, u are a pro athlete, you do not make as many mistakes as he did, i hope someone shows him how to throw the ball. 1,2,3 throw not 12345678sack. i love the steelers and think very high of ben, in fact im wearing his jersey right now, but he does things that guys like david carr made, holding the ball and throwing into traffic. im sorry that i am venting but that loss pisses me off way too much.

SteelDogFan
01-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Thank you Ben for signing with the Steelers and for the past few years (including a Superbowl win). Thank you for the next few years and the Steelers next Superbowl win.

skinart82
01-05-2008, 11:57 PM
Just Shut UP!!! Ben threw the game????? That's the stupidest thing I have ever read on this board!!!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
How about the offensive line that allowed ben to get sacked 5 times in the first half and not provind any time in the pocket...believe me...that has something to do with his first half performance....

X-Terminator
I would like to thank the Steeler Nation, both here and in R/L, for making this by far the LEAST enjoyable season for me. Give yourselves a hand!

Thank GOD the season is over.

Godfather
01-05-2008, 11:59 PM
Ben brought us back in the second half. Then the defense laid an egg with the game on the line just like they did against Jax a few weeks ago, and Denver, and the Jets.

PS--Remember who the all time leader is in throwing interceptions.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
thank you, i dont want to sound like a jerk but ben screwed us, he neil odonelled us. idc what everyone thinks, he threw 3 picks that easily could of been considered passes TO their defense. i thought that we would lose 47-17 but it doesnt matter that we lost 2, the way we played we also lost our good rep and i think some of the players lost respect for ben. this might sound derastic to some but 3 picks in the first half is unforgivable, u are a pro athlete, you do not make as many mistakes as he did, i hope someone shows him how to throw the ball. 1,2,3 throw not 12345678sack. i love the steelers and think very high of ben, in fact im wearing his jersey right now, but he does things that guys like david carr made, holding the ball and throwing into traffic. im sorry that i am venting but that loss pisses me off way too much.

Thats just dumb......He played great in the second half,
your forgetting that he was sacked 5 times in the first half and did not have anytime in the pocket
When you wake up tomorrow, read your post and then smack yourself in the face.:thumbsup:

HometownGal
I would just like to Thank Big Ben and the Special Teams for loosing the game in the First half.

I didn't notice you thanking Big Ben for the 10-6 season that got us the AFCN title and into the playoffs in the first place. Without Ben, we wouldn't have even been a .500 team this season whether you want to admit it or not.

Sad part of your post is this that if the Steelers would have won this game, you would be singing his praises.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-06-2008, 12:02 AM
I didn't notice you thanking Big Ben for the 10-6 season that got us the AFCN title and into the playoffs in the first place. Without Ben, we wouldn't have even been a .500 team this season whether you want to admit it or not.

Sad part of your post is this that if the Steelers would have won this game, you would be singing his praises.

well said!!!!

Did you see the "fans" that wanted to put Batch in for the second half?

After the third touchdown in the second half, I couldnt find one person that wanted Batch.....Not sure why?

Eztarget
01-06-2008, 12:04 AM
Tomlin will learn from this year (you hope). Losses to the Broncos, Cardinals and Jets cost us a shot at a very needed bye week. But saying Ben lost us the game is ridiculous. Yeah he sucked balls in the first half but he's the only reason we were LEADING in the last 2 minutes.

skinart82
01-06-2008, 12:04 AM
Ben is what is going to get the next ring and the next ring and so on! No Ben=No chance

SteelDogFan
01-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Thank you Ben for signing with the Steelers and for the past few years (including a Superbowl win). Thank you for the next few years and the Steelers next Superbowl win.

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2008, 12:07 AM
I would like to thank the Steeler Nation, both here and in R/L, for making this by far the LEAST enjoyable season for me. Give yourselves a hand!

Thank GOD the season is over.

??? - then do not read any posts or post here anymore:wave:

It was a disappointing loss, but what has your shorts in a bunch about the posts here?

2003 and 2006 were bad - if someone told you a year ago the Steelers would win the division and unearth an offense + QB that could score 3 TDs in the second half of a playoff game would you have taken it?

Rick5895
01-06-2008, 12:08 AM
Good Grief, Ben forced a couple of bad throws in the first half, the pick on the screen was a great play by the defensive player. Without Ben there would have been no lead in second half, you want to blame someone blame the coaching, way too many mental mistakes, and when the heck are they going to decide to call a game to win, and "not to lose" And for crying out loud, find some special teams help, againn letdowns early hurt us. But Ben made 2 mistakes and brought us back, I am thankful he is a Steeler.

Preacher
01-06-2008, 12:10 AM
O come on people.

Ben also brought us back from 18 down in the second half. I guess you all forgot about that already.

I know, I know.. If Ben didn't suck so much in the first half... blah blah blah.

We were up by a point. Our defense didn't keep disciplined, and allowed a 30 yard waddle by a QB.

In the end, Ben made up for his mistakes. Our D didn't.

PisnNapalm
01-06-2008, 12:13 AM

Wow.... You just surprised me... in a bad way.

GermericanSteelerFan
Can someone tell me the Steelers record this season in games where they have come back from a big deficit in the second half only to lose in the last 5 minutes? The only game they won in that situation that comes to mind is Cleveland. I believe all other 4 or 5 were losses.

Sorry, but you have to blame coaching for that one.

Preacher

It was a disappointing loss, but what has your shorts in a bunch about the posts here?

2003 and 2006 were bad - if someone told you a year ago the Steelers would win the division and unearth an offense + QB that could score 3 TDs in the second half of a playoff game would you have taken it?

Actually,

I understand what he means. There have been SO MUCH NEGATIVITY on this site this year.

I don't mean those who point out problems.... I mean those who come out and say..

OUR TEAM SUCKS... HORRIBLE. BLAH BLAH. I can't beleive some of what I have read. Such sweeping statements about a team... it seems that if we don't win every game by 21 points, we are the worst steeler team in 30 years.

BlastFurnace
01-06-2008, 12:15 AM
We are a 6-10 team without Ben. He didn't play well in the 1st half, but to single him out is not right.

fansince'76
01-06-2008, 12:17 AM
We are a 6-10 team without Ben.

At BEST. :cheers:

X-Terminator
01-06-2008, 12:21 AM

I think I'll do what I damn well please, thank you very much.

You're damn right I would have taken that, a million times over. The problem is that far too many single-minded Steelers fans don't appreciate it. You really want to know what has my panties in a bunch about the posts here and in real life? Well there's part of your answer. The rest of the answer can be found in the seemingly UNENDING negativity on this board over the past 6 months.

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2008, 12:23 AM
Actually,

I understand what he means. There have been SO MUCH NEGATIVITY on this site this year.

I don't mean those who point out problems.... I mean those who come out and say..

OUR TEAM SUCKS... HORRIBLE. BLAH BLAH. I can't beleive some of what I have read. Such sweeping statements about a team... it seems that if we don't win every game by 21 points, we are the worst steeler team in 30 years.

You get that sort of nonsense anywhere - I have no doubt there are posters who are upset about something on the Pats board - negative posts are a function of the Internet and alcohol

My response was to the comment it was the least enjoyable season ever - anyone who lets the venting of fans detract from their enjoyment of a playoff season to the extent it makes it the so unenjoyable needs to quit reading the boards

Preacher
01-06-2008, 12:26 AM
You get that sort of nonsense anywhere - I have no doubt there are posters who are upset about something on the Pats board - negative posts are a function of the Internet and alcohol

My response was to the comment it was the least enjoyable season ever - anyone who lets the venting of fans detract from their enjoyment of a playoff season to the extent it makes it the so unenjoyable needs to quit reading the boards

Now THAT is probably the most poignant post of the night!

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2008, 12:26 AM
I think I'll do what I damn well please, thank you very much.

You're damn right I would have taken that, a million times over. The problem is that far too many single-minded Steelers fans don't appreciate it. You really want to know what has my panties in a bunch about the posts here and in real life? Well there's your answer.

Thanks for clearing that up.

There a lot of idiots out there - if you let them detract from your enjoyment of the NFL that is your loss = they have as much right to be idiots as you do to be upset about it - this is not exactly matters of life & death we are posting about here

Preacher
01-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Turn your computer off it you don't like it...

I know if I was as bothered by the posts as you all say you are I wouldn't come here any more DUH

Son. I was saying what the issue is, not whether I like it or not. May I suggest reading comprehension and interpretation help.

Preacher
01-06-2008, 12:28 AM

There a lot of idiots out there - if you let them detract from your enjoyment of the NFL that is your loss = they have as much right to be idiots as you do to be upset about it - this is not exactly matters of life & death we are posting about here

From the sounds of it.. it sure is for some people around here.

X-Terminator
01-06-2008, 12:31 AM

And that would be another huge problem - far too many fans think it IS life and death when the Steelers lose a game. It's a GAME, people...a diversion. If your entire life gets shot to hell and back because the Steelers lose a game, then I'm sorry, but I'M not the one with issues.

I still say this season has not been enjoyable at all for me. It's a little difficult to do that when every single time I get on this board or hear people on the street (I ride public transportation every day), all I see and hear is unappreciative, bandwagon bullshit. I've simply had my fill of it.

Preacher
01-06-2008, 12:33 AM
Actually what you were saying would lead one to interpret , that you agree. reading and spelling have never been my strong suits, is this some sort of personell atact on my intellagents?

No, this is my suggesting that for some reason you lacked the ability in this thread to interpret my post correctly. Please don't blow it up to be anything more then that.

I was agreeing that posts were negative this year, and they were. They were also very illogical.

Broad sweeping statements from specific facts are a horrible way to argue a point. that is about all I hear this year. When I read them, I will call them out, because it is simply bad logic.

touchdownward
01-06-2008, 12:35 AM
:popcorn:

eafratitpm3
01-06-2008, 12:36 AM
No matter how bad Ben may or may not have played this game came down to the 2nd to the last drive play calling trying not to lose the game. This has bit this team in the a** so many times and yet they never learn. KUDOS to Ben for a great year and I just heard his post game press conference and he too all the blame and on a classier note said thanks to Alan Faneca for being a great lineman and that he was honored to be his QB.

X-Terminator
01-06-2008, 12:39 AM
Read away , it seems any more the only posts you make are to complain about peoples posts

You would be wrong, of course, but thanks for playing anyway.

PalmerSteel
01-06-2008, 12:39 AM
i would also like to thank ben as being our steelers QB. there isnt NO ONE i would rather have as a qb. besides hines ward, he is pittsburgh and a true man. you see him stand around, just waiting for garrard to get done with his TV interview just to congradulate him on the game? his press conference he told all his teamamtes the game was all on him? without ben, we would of not made the playoffs. the guy is our franchise and on top of that he is so humble and just an all around good guy as far as we know. even though you had a horendious first half, THANK YOU BEN FOR BEING THE STEELERS #7!!!! WE'LL GET EM NEXT YEAR AND GET YOU BETTER PROTECTION! :helmet:

stillers4me
01-06-2008, 12:43 AM
Well, actually I would like to thank Ben for all the work he put into making this a great start to the Tomlin era of Steelers football in Pittsburgh. Thank you for that 5th Lombardi and for taking the load on your shoulders to become the leader and elite athelete that we all knew you could be.

And thanks in advance for doing it for many years to come.

TackleMeBen
01-06-2008, 12:43 AM
THANK YOU BEN FOR BEING THE STEELERS #7!!!! WE'LL GET EM NEXT YEAR AND GET YOU BETTER PROTECTION!

now that i agree with... better protection on that oline will help.. and it wasnt the special teams or ben's fault we lost the game... it was willie parker's fault for breaking his leg in st.louis..lol:wink02:

Steelerfreak58
01-06-2008, 12:47 AM
I would like to thank Big Ben also. A great year and most likely the only reason we made the Playoffs.

#2 QB in the entire league just behind Marsha Brady and Brady has way way way more time to throw a football then Ben ever did all season long.

If Arians would call a decent GAME like he did that first drive we would have been sitting in at least the second seed. But Arians seems to be a turd and can't call a complete game and forgets what works...

Big7BenHOF
01-06-2008, 12:54 AM
Let's also not forget to thank Ben for putting up with our shitty offensive line.

TackleMeBen
01-06-2008, 12:57 AM
Let's also not forget to thank Ben for putting up with our shitty offensive line.

you mean the offensive line that he wants to take to the pro bowl with him??? lol.. i guess he didnt get the memo on how terrible they were. :wink02:

Preacher
01-06-2008, 01:07 AM
No matter how bad Ben may or may not have played this game came down to the 2nd to the last drive play calling trying not to lose the game. This has bit this team in the a** so many times and yet they never learn. KUDOS to Ben for a great year and I just heard his post game press conference and he too all the blame and on a classier note said thanks to Alan Faneca for being a great lineman and that he was honored to be his QB.

now that I can agree with.

Preacher
01-06-2008, 01:08 AM
you mean the offensive line that he wants to take to the pro bowl with him??? lol.. i guess he didnt get the memo on how terrible they were. :wink02:

No, he is too classy to do anything else.

TackleMeBen
01-06-2008, 01:10 AM
No, he is too classy to do anything else.

lol.. you are right again preacher.. i keep forgetting :wink02:.

Preacher
01-06-2008, 02:02 AM
One thing about having Ben that is a huge upgrade over previous teams, is like Rooney said "We never quit" With Ben around we are always in the game, it used to be that once we were down 3 or 4 scores you could hang it up, but with Ben we are never out of it. I hope they get a good deal done and he is around for a long time. I really think his accident cost us a SB trophy in 2006, adn I want him around to get us the one he owes us.

Now your preaching to the choir! I remember those days. We get down by 10 points, and it was just over.

X-Terminator
01-06-2008, 02:04 AM
One thing about having Ben that is a huge upgrade over previous teams, is like Rooney said "We never quit" With Ben around we are always in the game, it used to be that once we were down 3 or 4 scores you could hang it up, but with Ben we are never out of it. I hope they get a good deal done and he is around for a long time. I really think his accident cost us a SB trophy in 2006, adn I want him around to get us the one he owes us.

Now that I think we can agree on! :thumbsup:

Preacher
01-06-2008, 02:05 AM
I go to all that length at a little sarcasm and nothing. I guess it's like Tony says you have to use the appropriate smiley. :wink02::wink02:

Exactly! :wink02:

See!

ChronoCross
01-06-2008, 03:31 AM
Ben has had a great season and he even played better going down the stretch of the game to make up for his mistakes thru the first part. Defense just did not stand its ground at the end. And I hope Tomlin learns from his mistakes and they work on better
play calling. Now time to get ready for the draft and FA. Time to fix some stuff and come back better and stronger next year.

bozz723
01-06-2008, 03:33 AM
Are you ****ing nuts?

Did you even watch the game?

This was complete and utter failure on Bens part.

fansince'76
01-06-2008, 03:39 AM
Are you ****ing nuts?

Question for you - do you think we would have even made it this far without Ben? (HINT: Think Ravens). Do you think the running game accounted for the huge comeback? No, it didn't.

Preacher
01-06-2008, 03:44 AM
Are you ****ing nuts?

I get so tired of reposting the same things after almost every game.

OK.

Did Ben makes mistakes? YEs. Did Ben make up for them? Yes. Ben drove the team, and got the lead.

When a defense can't stop a teams last drive, there is nothing you can do.

Rhee Rhee
01-06-2008, 03:48 AM
This team is 6-10 without Ben - I agree he was a big cause of tonight's loss but without him the Steelers would be watching the playoffs

6-10????????? u think charlie can take the pounding?? id say psh giving the dolphins a run for their money in the 0-16 derby if u ask me...

inthere43
01-06-2008, 03:49 AM
Ben got the steelers in a hole with back to back INT but the way mahan and simmons were getting abused by old grady jackson up the middle was the big problem. If stroud or henderson both played it would of been a lot uglier

Preacher
01-06-2008, 04:00 AM
Ben got the steelers in a hole with back to back INT but the way mahan and simmons were getting abused by old grady jackson up the middle was the big problem. If stroud or henderson both played it would of been a lot uglier

Yeah, but Ben pulled us out pretty much single handed with those drives. SOrry, the blame on this one doesn't fall on Ben.

jjpro11
01-06-2008, 04:03 AM
i hate to do it, but to be honest.. ben played pretty poorly all game long, not just the 1st half.. obviously the second half was much better, but we also had some good starting field position thanks to turnovers... he still made a few poor throws into dangerous coverage. a couple plays before the 4th and 12 touchdown to holmes, he missed a couple of guys who were running wide open.. obviously he made up for it, but 9 times out of 10 those missed plays followed by a sack will kill you. also, the play intended to washington thrown low could have easily been picked by the defender. those were just a couple that stood out to me. he just wasnt thinking clearly and was indecisive after the first drive of the game. i think he thought he had to do too much with willie out.. he played like this vs arizona when he wanted to show up whiz. he's obviously still young, but he has to remain focused and within reason.

Preacher
01-06-2008, 04:06 AM
JJ.

Ben also had passes dropped, had to run to extend plays... etc. etc.

Fact is, he played pretty dang good the second half. What we really need is a line that gives him the time so that he can progress through his reads.

bozz723
01-06-2008, 04:36 AM
I dont want to blame this one one guy. I hate it.

YES. Ben really came back in the second half. However, again, in the final seconds he can't escape the pressure, he made two completely horrendous decisions that ultiamtely cost us the game. Yes, he really did cost us the game. There is no one to reason that he didn't

He may have got us back, but ultimately he was the one who gave them points, and alot of them.

To be honest, Ben has only played decent in two playoff games..vs Indy and vs Denver. However Denver sucked ass so that shouldn't really count.

He is a QB that chokes under pressure. I know what you guys will say, but he does, you can't even argue it. It is just our team in 05' was so strong we could overcome the massive mistakes.

We don't need a new QB, we need a Qb that can and will come through in the clutch. Becaue if we did, we would be going to NE next week.

Bottom line, the defense played their hearts out, and Ben came up short. Admit it.

Mosca
01-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Man, this is the guy, the one, the qb who will make Bradshaw the second best Steelers QB ever. He's HOF potential.

I don't think he's above criticism, but he's way above your bitter recriminations.

PalmerSteel
01-06-2008, 09:10 AM
show me another team that gives up that much pressure constantly on only a 4 man rush, 7 in passs coverage, with RB's staying back to help block. you cant. end of story......

spiketg
01-06-2008, 09:19 AM
When I first watched the steelers and my friend got me into them, I was warned that they should come with a health warning.. all the ups and downs, we are truly a comeback team and we nearly did it again. The only thing I didnt like of bens performance was the fumble during the sack at the end where he should have thrown it away as there was nothing to lose and plenty to gain.
I am not even annoyed about his picks during the first half. Ben came back in the second half and played a great game, getting us back into competition for the win. I think that it takes a lot more guts to come back after such a horrific first half and make that turnaround than some of us appreciate. I wore my no.7 jersey with pride ... @ 4AM in the morning and IMO it was worth staying up for

P.S. Dfense was gr8, we just need a stronger O line

HometownGal
01-06-2008, 09:19 AM
He is a QB that chokes under pressure. I know what you guys will say, but he does, you can't even argue it. It is just our team in 05' was so strong we could overcome the massive mistakes..

All I can say to this is. . . :toofunny::toofunny::toofunny: There really is nothing else to say.

We don't need a new QB, we need a Qb that can and will come through in the clutch. Becaue if we did, we would be going to NE next week.

Obviously you didn't watch the second half of the game. Again, I have to :toofunny::toofunny: Believe me, I'm not taking a tad of the blame away from Ben because those picks led to Jags points, but if ANYONE came through in the clutch in the second half, it was Big Ben.

Bottom line, the defense played their hearts out, and Ben came up short. Admit it

The D overall played better than they had in recent weeks, but other than the Jags first TD which was a ST's after Christmas gift, they allowed Jax to score 24 points. Yes - they had some help from the Steelers ST's giving up good field position on that last Jags drive, but ultimately, it was up to them to keep the Jags out of FG range and they fell short of doing that.

stillers4me
01-06-2008, 09:53 AM
I know Ben will take responsibilty for this one himself..........but anyone that watched the game knows there is plenty of blame to go around. Special teams, dropped passes, missed tackles........etc, etc. Any one of those mistakes can single handedly be blamed for the 3 points needed to win this game. Hell, blame the refs. One less mistake would have made the difference. Each and every member of this team can probably shoulder at least one mistake that could have been THE one. You learn and move on.

steelpride12
01-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Ben did exactly what he was suppose to do. He put us in a huge 18 point hole in the first half and in the second have was our franchise QB and brought us back in with the lead.
No one here should be surprised with what Ben did he is a STAR QB who was having a bad game and it was only a matter of time before he shined once more.
Ben thanks so much for the amazing season and we all can't wait to see you come out next season and play even better! :)

83-Steelers-43
01-06-2008, 10:18 AM
He looked like hell yesterday. I'm not going to sit here and deny that. I'm sure some will, the Roethlisberger fans first, Steeler fans second crowd who feel he can do no wrong and should not take any of the blame. But what can you do? He had a bad game. He has been our best offensive player all season long.

Also, it wasn't just Roethlisberger. Our ST's looked lousy as always and our defense crumbled when we needed them the most (not the first time this year).

The INTs and pathetic STs did not help. Coming back in the 3rd was impressive, but the damage was already done earlier in the game IMO.

Speaking of the defense.............

Defense falters one last time
Sunday, January 06, 2008

The inexplicable but plainly obvious decline of the Steelers from Super Bowl contender in October and November to massive underachiever in December and January played out as expected last night, but not without continuing disappointment in a first-round playoff game against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Just as they did last month, the Jaguars came into Heinz Field and won, this time 31-29, in a throbbing finish with the Steelers grabbing the lead late in the game only to lose once again on a final drive by the opposition.

The defeat was not without its positives. The Steelers were all but beaten early in the second half, down, 28-10, and undone by three Ben Roethlisberger interceptions, one of which was returned for a touchdown, and special teams inadequacies. But three fourth-quarter touchdowns gave them the lead. The rally had the crowd of 63,629 whipped into a frenzy -- only to be disappointed again.

The defense -- the one-time pride of the franchise -- wasn't able to stop the opposition when it absolutely had to. It was the same old story and a major reason why this season will long be remembered as disappointing.

The record book will say the Steelers finished 10-6 and advanced to the playoffs. In most seasons this would be considered a success, and the long lens of history likely will look on it as such. But those who watched it up close as it happened will know better. They will know this was as soft a 10-6 record as might be found in the recent annals of the NFL. It was a record achieved more by a schedule full of weak and mediocre opponents than any special ability on the Steelers' part. They beat only two teams with winning records, Seattle and Cleveland. The Seattle win, 21-0, Oct. 7, was, in retrospect, the high point of the season.

In truth, the opportunity was there for a hugely successful year. But these Steelers couldn't beat bad teams. They were defeated by three teams with losing records, Denver, the New York Jets and Baltimore. They were only able to beat the hapless Miami Dolphins, 3-0. In a showdown match with New England in early December, which some thought they might win, the Steelers were embarrassed, 34-13. But what was truly the low point for this team was that it got worse instead of better as the season progressed. How else can the following be explained:

• In the first 12 games, the Steelers allowed 14 offensive touchdowns; in their final five, they allowed 16.

• In their first 12 games, they allowed the opposition to score more than 21 points only twice; in the final five, the opposition scored more than 21 points every time.

• In the first 12 games, they allowed an average of 13 points; in the final five, they allowed an average of 28 points.

The defense, which allowed victory to slip away by allowing late touchdown drives in losses to Denver, the Jets and the first Jacksonville game, came up small again last night. Sparked by Roethlisberger, who played as well in the second half as he did poorly in the first, the offense scored three touchdowns in the first nine minutes of the fourth quarter to take a 29-28 lead.

With six minutes remaining, could the defense hold? No, it could not.

The Jaguars began their final possession on their 49 with 2:38 remaining. There was plenty of time. It was only a question of which side would prevail: The Jaguars' offense or the Steelers' defense. One play defined the drive, the game and the season.

On fourth-and-2 from the Steelers' 43, quarterback David Garrard, in shotgun formation, took the snap from center, delayed a count or two and bolted up the middle. About 10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage -- still out of field-goal range -- Garrard deftly juked safety Tyrone Carter, who look like he had Garrard lined up for a tackle, and ran to the 11. The game was as well as over and, four plays later, Josh Scobee kicked the winning 25-yard field goal.

The final drive was particularly disheartening because the defense had played better for most of the game than it had for some time. Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew who savaged the defense for a combined 216 yards last month, were held in check. Taylor gained 48 yards on 16 carries, Jones-Drew 29 on eight. Nor did Garrard do significant damage, completing only 9 of 21 passes and throwing two interceptions.

But, on a night when it played better than expected, the defense still wasn't good enough. And neither were the Steelers.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08006/847196-194.stm

geo123
01-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Sure there is blame to go around, but the the biggest is on Ben. It goes with the QB job. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a good QB, and he had a good season. He is still more of an asset than a liability. I know the O line needs help, but on a couple of those sacks he held the ball too long.
I beleive the offense was the bigger part of the loss, followed by the ST. It was more than the int's that hurt us. As someone posted, Ben did help get us back the lead. IMO the three biggest (non)plays were:
1) Holding penalty, (which was a bad call) on the 2pt conv.
2) Having to settle for a FG so close in the redzone.
3) This is IMO the biggest. With less than 4min. we had the lead and the ball on the 22. We went 3 and out. Had the offense been able to make one first down it would have done two things. It would have run more time off the clock, and put Jacksonville further back. I think that would have been enough to keep the lead and win the game.

As far as the D it was disappointing that the Jags were able to go down the field too easily on their final scoring drive. Again IMO they played a pretty good game. I think they're really only resposible for 10 of Jacksonvilles pts. Even if you count the 3rd score on the pass to Jone-Drew they still only gave up 17, more than enough to win the game.

steel striker
01-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Sure Ben had a bad game but, he did bring us back he is winner and i don't care what the haters will say. It was a bad play call on 3&6 and, we should have passed to Ward or Miller I know sunday morning qb here. We put it on our banged up defense and, we could not hold. I'm still a huge Ben fan and, that will not change he gives us the best chance to win. Bottom line is we lost and, that will hurt till next season and, I hope we get our oline fixed. Look out for us next year Willie will be back Troy and Smith will be healthy along with Big Ben we will be back.

X-Terminator
01-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Ben took the blame for the loss after the game. Can we put away the pitchforks and torches now?

stillers4me
01-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Ben took the blame for the loss after the game. Can we put away the pitchforks and torches now?

Agreed. Ben would take the blame even if it wasn't his fault. And not all of it was.

shevdog
01-06-2008, 12:47 PM
I have mixed feelings about Big Ben and the Jags game. Take away at least half of his big mistakes and we'd be playing next week. But then again, the O-line didn't give him a lot of breathing room. And special teams gave the Jags an easy first TD.

Bottom line the whole team blew this game. We staged an electrifying comeback that had us fans at the game shaking that stadium. Yet still, mistakes here and there cost us the game.

Edman
01-06-2008, 03:35 PM
We lost this game partly because of Ben, but we almost won because of him. The sad fact of it is that now this puts a damper on his spectacular season.

He as well as the whole team fell flat. And we still lost by 2.

OneForTheToe
01-06-2008, 04:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=280105023

Here are some thanks from one of his teammates:

Ben is our leader, he's always going to be our leader. I'll ride or die with him any day," right tackle Willie Colon said in a subdued Steelers locker room, one filled with disappointment but no screaming or angry words. "He's tremendous and I love him to death and he led us back."

The_WARDen
01-06-2008, 04:32 PM

did remind me of Kordell out there...

fansince'76
01-06-2008, 04:33 PM
did remind me of Kordell out there...

If Kordell would have been out there, no way there would have been a comeback and we lose by 20+.

EDIT: Scratch that - with Kordell, our season would have ended last week instead of last night with (at best) a 6-10 record. :coffee:

The_WARDen
01-06-2008, 04:37 PM
If Kordell would have been out there, no way there would have been a comback and we lose by 20+.

EDIT: Scratch that - with Kordell, our season would have ended last week instead of last night with (at best) a 6-10 record. :coffee:

still reminded me of Kordell....he needs to stop reminding me of Kordell because he's much better than that.

fansince'76
01-06-2008, 05:28 PM
still reminded me of Kordell....he needs to stop reminding me of Kordell because he's much better than that.

Not me - I didn't see him stare down any rushes like a deer in the headlights, nor did I see him either one-hop the ball to, or rocket the ball 10 feet over the heads of wide-open WRs. :coffee:

LVSteelersfan
01-06-2008, 08:28 PM
I love the Steelers. Ben is what he is and we have to live with it. He is a gunslinger like Brett Favre. He forces it in sometimes when there is too small of a window and is not always right on target. But when he is on target he is GREAT. Gotta take the good with the bad with him. Special teams is our biggest problem YET AGAIN and something needs to be done. But I think the Steelers owners are too cheap to pay for good backup players that can kick butt on special teams. So we get mediocre tackling on our punt returns and mediocre blocking when they kick to us. Football is a field position game and special teams play HAS TO BE GOOD. PERIOD !!!! I hope they do something about it in the offseason, but the O-line is first priority and linebackers (Farrior looked SLOW on a lot of plays) need to get their act together. That means Woodley and Timmons need to be ready to play and show us they were good draft picks. Lets hope Aaron Smith is back full strength next year as well and Troy gets healthy for a full season. THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT as long as some of those holes get fixed and they learn to throw the quick slants like they did when they looked good in last nights game. Heath Miller is a beast. We should ride him like the Chargers do Antonio Gates.

klick81
01-07-2008, 01:03 AM

+1 Without him, we'd have a losing record no doubt.

jd2
01-07-2008, 09:27 AM

I would like to thank Big Ben for taking a a$$ beating all year and still be alive to talk about. He will be even better next season with Parker back.
:jammin:

The_WARDen
01-07-2008, 11:09 AM
I would like to thank Big Ben for taking a a$$ beating all year and still be alive to talk about. He will be even better next season with Parker back.

didn't he have Parker this season?

Dino 6 Rings
01-07-2008, 12:56 PM
I would like to thank Ben for shouldering the blame in the post game press conference and proving himself a leader on the offensive side of the ball and for the entire team as a whole. He played bad at first, but then, played great. It happens. It isn't the first time the Steelers as a TEAM have lost a playoff game. I'd like to thank Dick L for putting a game plan in place that kept that Jacksonville running game in check all night long and also like to thank the Steelers fans for showing up, in the rains, snow, sleet and away games to cheer on our team.

XLIII looks good to me.

I'd also like to say that anyone who compares Ben R with Kordell needs to see a head doctor...because apparently they have a gaping space where their brain used to be.

lilyoder6
01-07-2008, 01:05 PM
it was a great game... nice comeback...

memphissteelergirl
01-07-2008, 05:07 PM
He is a QB that chokes under pressure. I know what you guys will say, but he does, you can't even argue it. It is just our team in 05' was so strong we could overcome the massive mistakes.

Bottom line, the defense played their hearts out, and Ben came up short. Admit it.

Are you drunk or just plain stupid??

conservativesteelers
01-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Are you drunk or just plain stupid??

I think both..

iloveben7
01-07-2008, 06:49 PM

I couldn't agree with you more. Ben probably would have had way fewer interceptions if he wasn't running for his life on every play.
I'd like to thank Ben for being the reason I watch football, especially the Steelers, and for being the franchise QB.