PDA

View Full Version : 2008: Growth or Decline?

Edman
01-06-2008, 12:59 AM
There's plenty, PLENTY of room for the Steelers to improve and grow.

Offensive Line needs DEFINATE fixing, need some LB's and a few weapons for Ben wouldn't hurt either. I see growth, unless Pittsburgh doesn't address the team issues.

So. Start pimping your college players and your free agents.

jjpro11
01-06-2008, 01:02 AM
i think you have to wait until the offseason settles.. you gotta be excited for woodley next year and getting aaron smith and most likely ryan clark back too. no matter how you feel about him, losing faneca will be a step back. i just hope that troy and hines can hold up next year. especially ward, who is getting up there in age but playing like he is 25.

The Duke
01-06-2008, 01:02 AM
I think the o line will improve with younger players and Ben will be even better cause he will be a little more comfortable in that pocket

with woodley starting and harrison on the other side the D will be a beast. though timmons has to start somewhere so either foote or farrior is gone

record wise it is gonna be tough, the schedule next year is 10x harder than this year, but our steelers will rise to the challenge :tt02:

CantStop85
01-06-2008, 01:04 AM
A couple of offensive linemen on the first day of the draft wouldn't hurt.

Preacher
01-06-2008, 01:04 AM
i think you have to wait until the offseason settles.. you gotta be excited for woodley next year and getting aaron smith and most likely ryan clark back too. no matter how you feel about him, losing faneca will be a step back. i just hope that troy and hines can hold up next year. especially ward, who is getting up there in age but playing like he is 25.

No way losing Fanaca is a step back, unless we just blow off the position. He missed at least two or three plays tonight that ended in sacks.

But yeah... we a lot to look forward to.

Preacher
01-06-2008, 01:05 AM
A couple of offensive linemen on the first day of the draft wouldn't hurt.

That is exactly what we need.

jjpro11
01-06-2008, 01:08 AM
I think the o line will improve with younger players and Ben will be even better cause he will be a little more comfortable in that pocket

with woodley starting and harrison on the other side the D will be a beast. though timmons has to start somewhere so either foote or farrior is gone

record wise it is gonna be tough, the schedule next year is 10x harder than this year, but our steelers will rise to the challenge :tt02:

timmons still doesnt have a starting spot set in stone.. he certainly is not going to take over farrior.. but he will need to show a lot in training camp to overtake even foote. i still think we need to keep an eye out for inside linebackers in the draft. probably not round one, but we need to find a guy that can maul guys on the inside.. we havent had that since kendrell bell. i dont think timmons is that kind of player either. with farrior getting up there, we're going to need someone else anyhow if foote isnt the answer.

jjpro11
01-06-2008, 01:10 AM
No way losing Fanaca is a step back, unless we just blow off the position. He missed at least two or three plays tonight that ended in sacks.

how is that not a step back? he was the best player on a terrible oline.

SteelCityMan786
01-06-2008, 01:14 AM
If Faneca does NOT comeback as expected, I hope that they do draft a couple linemen early. It will be VERY neccessary to pick up a couple. 1 Center and 1 Guard. Mahan just doesn't cut it with me.

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2008, 01:14 AM
The schedule is brutal, but the division is weak - 9-7 may win the division, which gets a #4 seed in the playoffs.

We will say goodbye to several starters (Faneca, Mahan, Haggans, Foote, Townsend) and IMO will be a better team at the end of the year than the start of the year, unllike this year.

Ben needs to be and will be turned loose as Holmes + Miller have big years - the door was closed for good on the old Steelers playbook of running the ball to protect the lead on that last possession with 3 minutes to go tonight

Certainly no SB level team next year but building for a SB run in 2 or 3 years

Borski
01-06-2008, 01:15 AM

Because hes just as terrible these days, get rid of him and we have money for a younger better oline.

SteelCityMan786
01-06-2008, 01:17 AM
The schedule is brutal, but the division is weak - 9-7 may win the division, which gets a #4 seed in the playoffs.

We will say goodbye to several starters (Faneca, Mahan, Haggans, Foote, Townsend) and IMO will be a better team at the end of the year than the start of the year, unllike this year.

Ben needs to be and will be turned loose as Holmes + Miller have big years - the door was closed fort good on the old Steelers playbook of running the ball to protect the lead on that last possession with 3 minutes to go tonight

I'm still not in a position AT THIS POINT to say that 2 straight 10 win seasons is not going to happen, but however, crazier things have happend. In my opinion 11-5 to 12-4 looks realistic. (For the love of god please do not let the Eagles, Cowboys, Giants, and Pats games be losses)

Townsend I think stays. I think we say goodbye to Taylor, Mahan, Faneca, and possibly Haggans unless his salary cap hit is not strong.

jjpro11
01-06-2008, 01:22 AM

Ben needs to be and will be turned loose as Holmes + Miller have big years - the door was closed fort good on the old Steelers playbook of running the ball to protect the lead on that last possession with 3 minutes to go tonight

why are mahan, foote and townsend gone? no.. they arent super stars.. but they are just more guys who would need to be replaced.. 3 starters to boot. townsend didnt even have a bad year. faneca and haggans will probably be gone because they are free agents. but you dont cut guys out of the blue who arent even expensive to the team.

Preacher
01-06-2008, 01:23 AM

I even doubt that.

Towards the latter half of the year, I was seen Fanaca getting blown up more then Simmons OR Colon.

With Starks AND Trey showing some nice play at LT... that leaves Fanaca and Mahan as the worst two linemen.

The worst of a bad line.

Sorry. His reputation is pushing him a long way right now. He is the next Joey Porter. Watch what happens next year.

jjpro11
01-06-2008, 01:24 AM
I'm still not in a position AT THIS POINT to say that 2 straight 10 win seasons is not going to happen, but however, crazier things have happend. In my opinion 11-5 to 12-4 looks realistic. (For the love of god please do not let the Eagles, Cowboys, Giants, and Pats games be losses)

Townsend I think stays. I think we say goodbye to Taylor, Mahan, Faneca, and possibly Haggans unless his salary cap hit is not strong.

why the hell would we get rid of our #1 cb, who we just signed to an extension that ended up being pretty favorable for the steelers organization?

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2008, 01:25 AM

Taylor (?) - I thought Ike had a good year not to mention a contract with several years to run - you think McFadden bumps Ike?

Woodley's play tonight sealed the deal for me that he bumps Haggans

Preacher
01-06-2008, 01:25 AM
why the hell would we get rid of our #1 cb, who we just signed to an extension that ended up being pretty favorable for the steelers
organization?

Yeah.... I don't see that happening. I think he must have thougth about someone else.

TackleMeBen
01-06-2008, 01:30 AM
if we dont improve our oline then it will be a decline, b/c ben will get killed next year without a good oline. he cant be running on every play and not get some kind of injury.

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2008, 01:30 AM
why are mahan, foote and townsend gone? no.. they arent super stars.. but they are just more guys who would need to be replaced.. 3 starters to boot. townsend didnt even have a bad year. faneca and haggans will probably be gone because they are free agents. but you dont cut guys out of the blue who arent even expensive to the team.

Mahan was overpowered at C all year - Ed.B. of the P-G thinks the Steelers look elsewhere for C next year (move Simmons or FA - I think a #`1 draft choice also goes at LG - the wildcard is if Marvel Smith is done)

Interior run D was terrible the second half of the season - I think #1 pick Timmons is paid too much to play only ST and gets an ILB slot - it will not be Farrior's

Townsend did not have a bad year but he is old and I saw a lot of McFadden on the field tonight - IMO McFadden takes over next year

Preacher
01-06-2008, 01:32 AM
Mahan was overpowered at C all year - Ed.B. of the P-G thinks the Steelers look elsewhere for C next year (move Simmons or FA - I think a #`1 draft choice also goes at LG - the wildcard is if Marvel Smith is done)

Interior run D was terrible the second half of the season - I think #1 pick Timmons is paid too much to play only ST and gets an ILB slot - it will not be Farrior's

Townsend did not have a bad year but he is old and I saw a lot of McFadden on the field tonight - IMO McFadden takes over next year

You make a lot of sense here. It is time for the future. Let's do it and build for the future.

jjpro11
01-06-2008, 01:38 AM

and then your even thinner at each position. we just dont have the money to replace those 3 players with better players, even with however much money we would save by cutting them. teams just dont do that kind of stuff unless they are salary cap casualties. their play hasnt been bad enough to not deserve a spot on the steelers roster. we only need to worry about resigning ben, and maybe starks.. and right now, we probably dont need to cut those guys to afford ben. but i dont want to get into all the salary cap stuff right now.. my head hurts.. however you just wouldnt be able to find equal value. you cant lose 2, maybe 3 offensive linemen in one offseason. you cant lost 2 linebackers in one offseason.. and i like our secondary for the first time in a long time. i dont want that to get thin either.

Steeldude
01-06-2008, 01:41 AM
the steelers will have to see what woodley and timmons can do next year. i don't think the high draft picks need to address the LBs this year. woodley can replace haggans and timmons for foote, hopefully. the FA market might be worth looking at.

the DL needs to be looked at. kiesel brings nothing in terms of a defensive lineman in a 3-4. cutting him would save a lot of cap room. hampton needs to lose some weight. i wonder if anyone noticed that the season hampton went down the defense did better. hoke is a little more agile. no, i am not saying he is better than hampton. but a little less weight would help hampton. he is listed at 330, but he looks 350+. anyone remember buckner, steed and seals. they were big and active. aaron smith isn't getting any younger.

the OL is what needs to be addressed. well at least the tackles. smith is a walking injury. colon is a guard, not a tackle. center is another spot to be changed. mahan is clearly not a center. what to do with simmons. he can't play guard, tackle or center, but the steelers gave him a huge contract. i guess he stays at guard. could stapleton be the center the steelers are looking for?

the steelers are in a bit of a rebuilding stage. they were blessed this year having to face such a weak schedule. next season's schedule looks tough.

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2008, 01:54 AM
and then your even thinner at each position. we just dont have the money to replace those 3 players with better players, even with however much money we would save by cutting them. teams just dont do that kind of stuff unless they are salary cap casualties. their play hasnt been bad enough to not deserve a spot on the steelers roster. we only need to worry about resigning ben, and maybe starks.. and right now, we probably dont need to cut those guys to afford ben. but i dont want to get into all the salary cap stuff right now.. my head hurts.. however you just wouldnt be able to find equal value. you cant lose 2, maybe 3 offensive linemen in one offseason. you cant lost 2 linebackers in one offseason.. and i like our secondary for the first time in a long time. i dont want that to get thin either.

You replace Timmons for Foote as the starter

You replace McFadden for Townsend as the starter

Two existing players on the roster move up - no additional $$

Mahan just needs to be replaced somehow

Preacher
01-06-2008, 01:59 AM
You replace Timmons for Foote as the starter

Two existing players on the roster move up - no additional $$

Mahan just needs to be replaced somehow

Shift Mahan to LG, his natural position.

YOu pick up Carlos Dansby, and let Timmons fight for the other ILB position.

Find or draft a center. Resign Starks at LT, or let Trai play there.. he did a very good job tonight, maybe he can step up. So then, let Starks go, and pick up someone else for RT and move Simmons to center.

There are a number of ways we can go. Let's just hope we go a certain way, and not sit around.

Rhee Rhee
01-06-2008, 04:05 AM

i noticed that too.... it wasnt like he was doing it on purpose or anything but it's surprising... he was almost like the dark spot of the line 2nite....

Rick5895
01-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Very interesting thread, I will now whey in on my thoughts. The O-Line needs to be anchored at center, Faneca's play dropped off because, in my opinion, he couldn't trust Mahan so he was covering for him. A thought to ponder, look what happended to Alexander when Hutchinson left Seattle.
I thought they should have drafted Woodley with the first pick, as I am not sold on Timmons, But Timmons should be given a shot inside.
They need O-Line help and someone to compliment the backfield, those kids they have just arent quality NFL players. After Willie and Najeh we are very thin.
Who ever they pick up in the later draft rounds and free agents they have to have guys that will sell out on special teams you cant keep expecting a defence to hold the fort on a short field.

steelpride12
01-06-2008, 10:19 AM
No doubt this team only has room for improvement and regarless of our schedule next season we can still be a team to reckon with!
1-I think we need a few changes on the poor o-line. At least i think our first round pick should be an o-linemen.
2-It would be nice to give Ben a solid 3rd WR with Holmes and Ward. A third WR would give the Steelers 4 good targets in Ward, Holmes, and Miller.
3-A new ST coach prob. would help out alot.

ShrewBeer
01-06-2008, 10:29 AM
all you guys need is a competent coach.:dang:
if your coach is willing to look at himself and learn from his own mistakes, you will be all set. if not, it doesnt matter who you pick up in the offseason. yer screwed.

TheManOfSteel
01-06-2008, 10:35 AM
GROWTH ALL DAY. We will be a SB serious contenders next year. If all the injury's were not mounting up this year, we would of been serious contenders. :tt02:

HometownGal
01-06-2008, 10:39 AM
if your coach is willing to look at himself and learn from his own mistakes, you will be all set. if not, it doesnt matter who you pick up in the offseason. yer screwed.

Considering who your HC is, and pardon me for saying this, you are the LAST person who should come around here and say anything about Tomlin. We'll keep our HC whose team won the AFCN and got to the playoffs (without a videocamera) in his inaugural season, thank you very much.

TheManOfSteel
01-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Colon and Mahan both should be gone. Colon had a HORRIBLE SEASONS. Please people open your eyes and see what really was going on.

Steeldude
01-06-2008, 10:52 AM

IMO, only problem with that is mcfadden is a pass interference machine.

83-Steelers-43
01-06-2008, 10:53 AM

:toofunny:

I'm sorry, I tried to bite my tongue but this is just too damn funny. Getting advice from somebody who's own HC is a proven cheater. Thanks buddy, I'm sure our first year HC will take your advice to heart. Keep riding that bandwagon up in New England.

fansince'76
01-06-2008, 11:19 AM

Coming from a fan of a team with a proven cheater at HC. Thanks loads for the advice, pal. :coffee:

ShrewBeer
01-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Considering who your HC is, and pardon me for saying this, you are the LAST person who should come around here and say anything about Tomlin. We'll keep our HC whose team won the AFCN and got to the playoffs (without a videocamera) in his inaugural season, thank you very much.

how can you possibly be dumb enough to believe that the videocamera helped in any way this year? you think bill continued to do it? past years may be in question, but to say something like that is just plain dumb. bill is always man enough to admit when he screws up. every time the coaches screw up, bill points it out in his press conference and talks about how they need to improve. did tomlin acknowledge his f-up?

ShrewBeer
01-06-2008, 11:52 AM
:toofunny:

I'm sorry, I tried to bite my tongue but this is just too damn funny. Getting advice from somebody who's own HC is a proven cheater. Thanks buddy, I'm sure our first year HC will take your advice to heart. Keep riding that bandwagon up in New England.

Coming from a fan of a team with a proven cheater at HC. Thanks loads for the advice, pal. :coffee:

ok, maybe i crossed the line talking about your HC. but my point was that he is a rookie and as long as he improves he is all set. thats all.

SteelDogFan
01-06-2008, 11:56 AM
It depends on how you look at it. If we wipe out the injury prone 2006 then its a decline from the SB year 2005. If we count the 2006 year it is obviously a year of growth.

My self I look at it as a whole. The team finished the season with the record that most of us predicted. Also most of us had the team maybe winning one play-off game but no more.

Thats why some of the post I am reading today and last night baffle me. None of us had the Steelers getting to the AFC championship game. Not even when we updated our prediction for the season at the half way point.

Some need to realize that our Steelres were better than expected and were it not for injuries to key players we might be talking about the pats or the colts next week.

83-Steelers-43
01-06-2008, 12:14 PM
ok, maybe i crossed the line talking about your HC. but my point was that he is a rookie and as long as he improves he is all set. thats all.

Your "point" was that this team needs a "competent" HC. I believe that is what you said. You actually started a whole thread on the topic. My point was that it's the guys first year as a HC and he took his team to the playoffs while having some major injuries. Not too bad huh?

My other point was that I find it amusing that somebody who's a 'fan' of a team who's HC is a smug cheating prick is telling us that our first year HC is incompetent.

But hey, you New England fans are a real classy bunch to begin with, always around in those dark years huh? Now all of a sudden popping up and giving advice to one of the most storied franchises in sports.

I'm sorry, I just find it very comical, arrogant and pathetic all at the same time. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

fansince'76
01-06-2008, 12:43 PM
bill is always man enough to admit when he screws up.

Oh, you mean the BS about his "misinterpretation of the rules?" Keep reaching there, pal. :coffee:

Bill
01-06-2008, 12:46 PM
If they don't improve the offensive line, Big Ben is going to get hurt and then the Steelers will be finished. Essex played well enough tonight so we have to improve the middle of the line. They have had great centers - Webster, Dawson - for so many years; you can see the line slipping without a strong center.

As for the defense, LeBeau Must Go. I want to see Tomlin's favored 4-3 with a strong pass rush from the line. Hampton and Hoke could be effective up front which would leave Woodley, Keisel, and Smith to compete for the defense end positions. If Tomlin keeps the 3-4, Hampton has to lose weight. He is simply too fat. He can't move, can't pursue, and can't rush the passer. Just because he was decent(not great) when he was younger, doesn't mean he can still do the job. He should lose 50 pounds or get traded.

Stlrs4Life
01-06-2008, 12:55 PM
With the toughness of our scheduile next season, it will be tough. I believe we will be being in the rebuild mode.

Bill
01-06-2008, 01:38 PM
how can you possibly be dumb enough to believe that the videocamera helped in any way this year? you think bill continued to do it? past years may be in question, but to say something like that is just plain dumb. bill is always man enough to admit when he screws up. every time the coaches screw up, bill points it out in his press conference and talks about how they need to improve. did tomlin acknowledge his f-up?
Excuse me. Pats fan, but The Steelers have won a Superbowl (our 5th) more recently than you. You haven't won anything this year yet, and even you you do somehow cheat yourselves to a SB win this year, you still won't have 5 rings. The best thing about your season this year is that no matter what you think, every other NFL fan will consider your coach and team as cheaters and place an asterisk next to your record from this season.

SteelersJW
01-06-2008, 01:55 PM
How we do in 2008 will be decided on what we do in the offseason. We need to be careful who we pick in the draft, and they need to make a quick impact as the season begins, unlike this year.

......and then there's the offensive line problem.....

HometownGal
01-06-2008, 01:55 PM

How can YOU be so naive and stupid to believe otherwise? Oh that's right, silly me. You're a Pats* fan slurping up that kool-aid served by Beliprick*.

When the hell did Beliprick* EVER take responsibility for his actions with the videocamera incident(s)??? Instead, the cheating coward mumbled on incessantly that he "misinterpreted the rules". Riiiiiiiight.

stillers4me
01-06-2008, 02:19 PM
As for the defense, LeBeau Must Go. I want to see Tomlin's favored 4-3 with a strong pass rush from the line. Hampton and Hoke could be effective up front which would leave Woodley, Keisel, and Smith to compete for the defense end positions. If Tomlin keeps the 3-4, Hampton has to lose weight. He is simply too fat. He can't move, can't pursue, and can't rush the passer. Just because he was decent(not great) when he was younger, doesn't mean he can still do the job. He should lose 50 pounds or get traded.

ummmmmmm.........ok.

The Duke
01-06-2008, 02:33 PM
IMO, only problem with that is mcfadden is a pass interference machine.

hmm....I would like to see some proof or stats of that. cause I've seen him get moss PI calls than our other DBs, but it's not like he's an interference machine

Edman
01-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Speaking of that Cheatriots troll calling Tomlin incompetant...

If getting more out of your predecessors' team, Making your star QB take wings despite a horrible offensive line, and improving over last year by 2 games is incompetant, then Tomlin is by all means incompetant.

Hold your tounge Patsie, and go back to your board and root for your cheating scumbag team.

Rick5895
01-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Question:
Why are you bothering answering to a Pats fan, baffling.
This was once said about Cowboys fans in the 70's, you know Americals so called team and can be said about Pats fans now
Only little kids, and people who dont' know anything about football cheer for the Pats

Stillers43
01-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Next year's schedule is going to be tough. We could actually make strides but still not make the playoffs due to the schedule.

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Next year's schedule is going to be tough. We could actually make strides but still not make the playoffs due to the schedule.

Minimum 1-2 against the Chargers and Colts (home) + Pats on road combined with 4-2 in the division is required next year to contend for division - more importantly for the long term is this becoming Tomlin's team completely as the Steelers retool - they have the QB for the next 6-7 seasons so there is time for future success under Ben

I.C. Lights
01-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Question:
Why are you bothering answering to a Pats fan, baffling.
This was once said about Cowboys fans in the 70's, you know Americals so called team and can be said about Pats fans now
Only little kids, and people who dont' know anything about football cheer for the Pats

. . . and the morally depraved. :wink02:

GermericanSteelerFan
01-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Drafting O-lineman and expecting them to start and be protection for Ben is not the smart thing to do, unless you are all willing to throw away the next few season's as "rebuilding years". I have yet to see an NFL rookie lineman be able to stand up to seasoned NFL veteran D-Lineman, or more importantly, have the know-how to understand blocking scheme's of zone-blitzes.

Everyone, I hate to say it, but the team is in a wierd transition. Ward does not have that many years left in him. The rest of the receiving core (including Holmes) has not performed to the levels of other receiving cores in the league. Ben is in his 5th year. As a mobile QB, who get's sacked all the time, he may not have that many more years when he will be healthy enough to leave the pocket, and we all know he is not a good pocket passer.

It is time that the Steelers open up the pockets and draft some good, mid-career O-Lineman (not veterans who are on their way out). It is time that they hold on to the talent that they have. Can you imagine if they still had Porter, Randel El and Burress???

Keep the playmakers, release the scrubs, execute, go all the way. It's that easy.

well, not really, but you get the idea.

The Duke
01-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Drafting O-lineman and expecting them to start and be protection for Ben is not the smart thing to do, unless you are all willing to throw away the next few season's as "rebuilding years". I have yet to see an NFL rookie lineman be able to stand up to seasoned NFL veteran D-Lineman, or more importantly, have the know-how to understand blocking scheme's of zone-blitzes.

except for Joe Thomas. but I agree, it's very hard to find someone like that and expect him to be great from the beggining.

right now Kolbert and Tomlin need to do a very good job in search of the linemen.