PDA

View Full Version : The Morning After . . . . .

HometownGal
01-06-2008, 08:11 AM
How is everyone doing today? :hug:

I thought I would wake up and have that "hungover" feeling (though I wasn't drinking last night!), but I don't. Yes, I am disappointed that our Steelers fell short in a game that turned into quite the dog fight (not the Vick variety) but the sadness I felt last night is gone. Seeing Mike Tomlin's post-game interview brought tears to my eyes as I saw tears in his eyes and his voice was different than I had ever heard it, but that couple of minutes really showed me what this man is made of and I couldn't be happier or prouder to have him as the HC of the team I have loved for decades. :cheers:

I'm already looking forward so much to next season. This team has a good offensive nucleus (Ben, FWP, Hines, Santo, Miller), and the rebuilding process with regard to the OL and ST's will be beginning. Our D got hit very hard with injuries (Clark, Troy, Smith) this season and I believe in my heart that much brighter days are ahead! :tt02:

Steeler in Carolina
01-06-2008, 08:17 AM
I would agree. The big thing is improving the OL.

ohiosteelerfan20
01-06-2008, 08:18 AM
This loss really hurts. But not as bad as 2004, and nothing could ever match 2001. I feel very good about Mike Tomlin. And despite last nights first half, I just love the fact that we have Big Ben at QB. That Second half was legendary. I am already looking forward to next year.:tt02:

Michael Keller
01-06-2008, 08:19 AM

I thought I would wake up and have that "hungover" feeling (though I wasn't drinking last night!), but I don't. Yes, I am disappointed that our Steelers fell short in a game that turned into quite the dog fight (not the Vick variety) but the sadness I felt last night is gone. Seeing Mike Tomlin's post-game interview brought tears to my eyes as I saw tears in his eyes and his voice was different than I had ever heard it, but that couple of minutes really showed me what this man is made of and I couldn't be happier or prouder to have him as the HC of the team I have loved for decades. :cheers:

I'm already looking forward so much to next season. This team has a good offensive nucleus (Ben, FWP, Hines, Santo, Miller), and the rebuilding process with regard to the OL and ST's will be beginning. Our D got hit very hard with injuries (Clark, Troy, Smith) this season and I believe in my heart that much brighter days are ahead! :tt02:

Nice post , Home town girl . I like your out look. Fans like you make it easier for me to me to experience the dissapointment of defeat. I agree youwith about Mike Tomlin. He is our hope and a good one at that.

Big D
01-06-2008, 08:26 AM
We as steeler fans have alot to be proud of. Yes we did lose but what a great second half effort. I'm looking forward to seeing a new offensive line, and a more poised veteran ben. I think next year will be the year

stillers4me
01-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Is it September yet??????? :tt02:

HometownGal
01-06-2008, 08:33 AM
Is it September yet??????? :tt02:

Atta girl - that's the right 'tude! :cheers::tt02:

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2008, 08:37 AM
It is always a let down when the season ends but when the Steelers went ahead in the 4th quarter I figured either STs or the defense would not close the deal so the last Jax possession was not a shock.

Unlike 1994, 1997, 2001 or 2004, I thought this team was at best 1 and done in the playoffs after losing the first Jags game, so this was anticipated and certainly is nowhere near as bad as the season ending losses in those years for me.

Finishing 10-7 while losing 4 out of the last 5 at least removes any illusions this current team is anywhere near to being a SB contender.

That may give Tomlin some breathing space with the fans to tear down units of this team, starting with the OL - Faneca is gone and IMO only Simmons and Colon should be presumed to be back as starters next year, not necessarily at their current positions.

Also will be interesting to see which coaches go - OL and ST did not appear to be coached up an LeBeau may decide to go.

Let's just hope we are not entering a stretch in the playoff wilderness such as that which followed the 1984 and 1997 seasons.

Steelerfreak58
01-06-2008, 08:43 AM
After watching Ben come back from face planting into that van a year and a half ago and the disappointing season we had at 8-8 I have to say I am happy that we won the division and played a tough game in the playoffs. They never stopped or gave up and thats all you can ask from them.

We made it to the playoffs with a brand new head coach, offensive coordinator, offensive line coach, and I don't know how many other minor coaching changes. To make it to the play offs says a lot about this team and its quality.

Now I just hope the next 7 months fly by so the 2008 season can get going!

steelpride12
01-06-2008, 09:14 AM
All i can say is we ended the game and the season on a good note. Ben, Hines, and Miller brought the team back from 18 points down and made a huge run, but it just was not enough in the end and i feel pretty good about my team for next season.
Ben has an AMAZING season and hopefully next year with a new o-line he can have more time in the pocket to work his magic.
With a few touch ups and everyone healed up we can have another great season next year regardless of our schedule.
We will be a team to reckon with!

therocksteeler
01-06-2008, 09:29 AM
I woke up this morning thinking what a great job we did to come back. What a great job we did to overcome our INT's. I think we played well enough to win. And wow that Hines Ward.....speechless! Looking forward to next year!

Strangeirish
01-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Just wanted to pop on here and say what a class organization you have, along with with probably the best fans in the league. A few of my friends were at the game last night, and what a game. What was striking , was that even though the Steelers suffered a truly sickening loss, your fans that were in my friends section(sorry don't know which one), were the epitome of what supporting your team to the end should be and had enough class, when it was all over, to wish our team all the best next week. That , coupled with watching Roethlisberger patiently wait until Garrard had finished his interview, to congratulate him. You just don't hear or see that type of stuff enough anymore.

Anyway, with all that said, words probably can't get rid of the knots that are in your stomachs this morning, but I felt compelled to come on here and thank you on behalf of my friends that were at Heinz field last night and I just hope that our fans( keyboard warriors included) and players can emulate the sportsmanship that was on display last night in Pittsburgh. Good luck next year and nothing but respect from this Jags fan.

plenewken
01-06-2008, 09:58 AM
I think next year will be the year

I surely hope you're right but looking at next year's schedule, they're gonna have to play MUCH better on both sides of the ball for 60mn. And I'm not even talking about ST ..................................

Globally, a very frustrating season, in my eyes.

I hope they fix the numerous deficiencies in the roster via FA and a solid draft and start the next season with a new field cause that brownish thing they call grass looked once again crappy last night. The field hadn't seen a game for what, 3 weeks, during which it received more care than a patient in ICU and it was still more dirt and mud than anything else. Oh and if these field conditions help our game,like some of you think, I would hate to see what it'd be if it did not. <sigh>

Preacher
01-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Just wanted to pop on here and say what a class organization you have, along with with probably the best fans in the league. A few of my friends were at the game last night, and what a game. What was striking , was that even though the Steelers suffered a truly sickening loss, your fans that were in my friends section(sorry don't know which one), were the epitome of what supporting your team to the end should be and had enough class, when it was all over, to wish our team all the best next week. That , coupled with watching Roethlisberger patiently wait until Garrard had finished his interview, to congratulate him. You just don't hear or see that type of stuff enough anymore.

Anyway, with all that said, words probably can't get rid of the knots that are in your stomachs this morning, but I felt compelled to come on here and thank you on behalf of my friends that were at Heinz field last night and I just hope that our fans( keyboard warriors included) and players can emulate the sportsmanship that was on display last night in Pittsburgh. Good luck next year and nothing but respect from this Jags fan.

Very nice and classy of you. Thank you for taking the time to come say hi and share that with us.

However, I am hoping next year we have reason to come over to your boards to bolster your spirits after a loss! :wink02:

Preacher
01-06-2008, 10:05 AM
I feel the exact same way I felt last night.

We have a great core going into the future. We have some extreme talent on both sides of the ball. We have some things we have to fix. Let's get into the offseason and fix them!

I am going to enjoy the heck out of my spring and summer. This offseason won't be as bad, because I don't have that awful taste in my mouth from an 8-8 season after a SB.

Strangeirish
01-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Very nice and classy of you. Thank you for taking the time to come say hi and share that with us.
However, I am hoping next year we have reason to come over to your boards to bolster your spirits after a loss! :wink02:
Cheers! I hear ya!:thumbsup:

HometownGal
01-06-2008, 10:13 AM

Thank you for the very classy post and I wish the Jags well next week and beyond. :cheers: I'm over the sadness and hurt from last night and am looking forward to the draft, FA and heading up to Latrobe for camp in July! :tt02:

SteelSurf
01-06-2008, 10:22 AM
My head hurts.

Thanks Strangeirish. Watched the game with a couple of jag fans last night. nailbiter for both of us. Likewise,jags fans are a classy gang. Any game that is decided in the last minute is brutal on the nerves.

Only thing I have to look forward to now is a team to knock off the patriots. Any team. I dont care if they come from Upper OR Lower Slobovia. Just beat the cheatriots so I can gain some respect again for the NFL. The thought of having to watch TV ads all season long with metro sexual tom brady or bill belicheat is too much for me to stomach.
Cheaters never prosper... We shall see.

SteelDogFan
01-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Great post, Very well said. GO STeelers 2008!!!

crcsnail
01-06-2008, 10:50 AM
thx for a good post hometown gal.like others i wondered why i keep coming on here reading all the negative posts ie we lose a game and peeps want ben out batch in etc etc etc etc. it is after all a game and yes im dissapointed if we lose for a bit but i would never go against the steelers, like some on here .they cant be true fans cos u gotta take the rough with the smooth (i should know im a manchester city fan as well !!city till i die!)like others that last series, when i thought we should have kept passing short was annoying but u CANT fault the teams effort and the quotes on the official pittsburgh site said a lot about gerrards long run at the end and on replaying it looked like a LOT of holding! well heres to next year and all the best to you all :)

BigBrian7
01-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Well even though I'm still pissed from the play calling at the end of the game, there were some bright spots. Probably the thing I noticed the most, and I hope the rest of you saw it and are kind of excited, was how much better the defensive pressure was looking when Woodley was in the game. I like Haggans but Woodley is about twice the size of him and he showed what he could do last night. They definitely didn't run all over us last night. :helmet:

stillers4me
01-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Well even though I'm still pissed from the play calling at the end of the game, there were some bright spots. Probably the thing I noticed the most, and I hope the rest of you saw it and are kind of excited, was how much better the defensive pressure was looking when Woodley was in the game. I like Haggans but Woodley is about twice the size of him and he showed what he could do last night. They definitely didn't run all over us last night. :helmet:

The Wood was awesome last night!! I'm really looking forward to this guy starting next year. He and Harrison are going to be a killer combo! :tt02:

BritishSteel
01-06-2008, 11:23 AM
At the start of the Season, I feared that we might finish third in the division and this would be a rebuilding year. Yes, last night was disappointing but it was a pain because in spite of a new HC, new coaching staff, injuries all over the place and a tough run-in, we still put ourselves in a position to challenge in the post-season and, despite having it handed to us for a terrible half, we were still in it at the end.

Anyone think any other Franchise in the NFL would have coped with a new HC, new coaching staff, a new playbook, the injuries we've had and still made the play-offs?

Me neither. The Jags played a tough game out there last night and at least play the game the right way. We're miles ahead of where I thought we might be when the season started in August. We know where we need to strengthen and we know where we're strong. We need a good draft and some clever free agency, but we'll still be competitive.

shevdog
01-06-2008, 11:51 AM
I only got 2 hours of sleep, having got home 2 hours ago. Game was a big disappointment. Was a tough march for us all out of Heinz Field.

As for next year, there is potential, yet I'll need a couple weeks distance from this game to reflect on next year. If we keep most of the players we have and Tomlin's crew makes the adjustments that we needed for the post-season, then we are contenders. Who knows what the NFL will bring next year. We do have a tough schedule for 2008...

Anyhow, thanks for a good season Tomln! Not bad getting into the playoffs your first year! Time to build on that so we can add to the Super Bowl collection at the Coca-Cola Great Hall!

Edman
01-06-2008, 12:16 PM
Let's face it, it was going to take a miracle for these Steelers to do anything in the playoffs, they tailed off and were just TOO beaten up.

It sucks to lose, but if I were a Jags fan, I wouldn't be too boastful. Their "super" team was taken to the wire by a battered Steelers team missing Willie Parker despite several gift turnovers. But they got the higher score in the end. That's all that matters.

BlastFurnace
01-06-2008, 12:31 PM
The most devastated I ever felt was after the San Diego loss of 1994-5. That whole next month was terrible.

It still hurts. I didn't sleep well last night at all. Just kept thinking about the last 3 minutes of the game. Like I said last night, there are more important things in life...and I know that...but it's still hard to take.

The biggest part is that our favorite players like Hines, Hampton, Aaron Smith, Marvell Smith are all getting older and every football season goes so fast, but the offseason is so slow.

It makes the championships of the 1970's and the 2005 season all that more special.

HometownGal
01-06-2008, 01:08 PM
You guys (and gals) really do make last night's loss so much easier to digest! :cheers:

Just kept thinking about the last 3 minutes of the game.

I kept thinking about the first half of the game where we blew so many opportunities and turned the ball over. We had a valiant comeback, but in the end, this battered and beaten up team fell a hair short.

Can't wait for TC in July! Anyone planning a trip to Latrobe?

Stillers33
01-06-2008, 01:15 PM
All i can say is we ended the game and the season on a good note. Ben, Hines, and Miller brought the team back from 18 points down and made a huge run, but it just was not enough in the end and i feel pretty good about my team for next season.
Ben has an AMAZING season and hopefully next year with a new o-line he can have more time in the pocket to work his magic.
With a few touch ups and everyone healed up we can have another great season next year regardless of our schedule.
We will be a team to reckon with!

what waz that song agian? o yea HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!:tt02::tt02::helmet::tt::tt03:

desertsteel
01-06-2008, 01:17 PM
I woke up several times tormented by that pitiful offensive series before we punted the game away.... Honestly, can you see Belicheck doing that... No Way! Anyway, the Jags just spared us from utter humiliation next week at NE. So in the long run, it justs helps me get over my steeler hangover in enough time to enjoy the rest of the playoffs. I just hope we change our play not to lose philosophy next year.

Stlr4ever
01-06-2008, 01:38 PM

Thanks for the nice post HT gal! Yeah, I noticed Tomlin's crackling voice too. His players really let him down. Unfortunately, as a team they are not measuring up to the standards. There has to be some housecleaning during the off season. All the underachievers MUST go. I am really sick and tired of our OL. It must be overhauled. May be the OL coach should go too. We need bigger, stronger and more athletic guys in the trenches. Hampton is no longer getting the job done. Kiesel is doing ok. We really missed Aaron Smith in this game.

TackleMeBen
01-06-2008, 01:41 PM

i am:cheer::cheer:. my son wants to go so i guess i will take him.. you know HTG i will looking for local inside information :wink02:

P@yne
01-06-2008, 02:07 PM
That turned into a good game last night and I don't have that embarrassed feeling today like some of those other losses. This was a good start for Tomlin and I have confidence he'll take care of business this off season.

To the Steelers :cheers:- thanks for going out fighting. I love the games that get your blood flowing.

To the Jags - great game and a well deserved win. I'll be rooting for you to beat the Pats if you face them.

Now off to work on my forum sig.

nojobny
01-06-2008, 02:09 PM
I'm wiped out. I just home from the airport. I'm so tired I cant feel my legs and I can't lift my arms b/c I was waving my towel so much.

I'm just trying to process everything from last night.

Edman
01-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Day late and a dollar short. That's one thing I can sum up about the 2007 Steelers.

I'm not happy, but I'm not upset. This loss doesn't seem to hurt as much as others in the past. I have no explanation why, it just doesn't. Despite the hard-fought effort that ended in heartbreak, this one just doesn't seem to hurt. Gonna be a long nine months though.

Why does the NFL offseason have to be so long?

Rhee Rhee
01-06-2008, 02:16 PM
lets just hope that steeler coaches learn from this game and understand that next season we will have to force feed the ball to ward and miller and on occasion give a slant to santonio for a long touchdown....

SteelCityMan786
01-06-2008, 02:20 PM
You guys (and gals) really do make last night's loss so much easier to digest! :cheers:

I kept thinking about the first half of the game where we blew so many opportunities and turned the ball over. We had a valiant comeback, but in the end, this battered and beaten up team fell a hair short.

You bet I'm hoping to be in Latrobe this year. I'm sick to my stomach missing Tomlin's First TC. Hopefully I can catch one in his 2nd Year.

Anyway, today I reflect upon what has been a fun ride for the Black and Gold. No Matter what this has been one of the craziest seasons for me and for a new coach, one of the best starts I have seen. Name one Pirate Manager that has given me a great start to his carrier to be thankful for? None since Jim Leyland and his first year was before I was born. How about Penguins? Therrien for one. How about the Steelers, Cowher and now Tomlin.

In that first half this team could have easily given up. But they did not. They gave me a message in that 2nd half that even if they were going to go down, they weren't going to go down without a fight.

Before we know it, It will be August again. Mike and the gang will be moving into the dorms at St. Vincent's College and be smacking the pads. Then we'll have the pre-season and eventually opening night 2008 will be here and who knows, maybe we'll get the chance to crash the party of the Super Bowl Champion?

HometownGal
01-06-2008, 02:20 PM
To the Steelers :cheers:- thanks for going out fighting. I love the games that get your blood flowing.

Amen! :cheers: I think this is why I'm over the loss already and it really didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would. If they had just laid down in the second half, the disappointment and frustration would have been unbearable.

nojobny
01-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Amen! :cheers: I think this is why I'm over the loss already and it really didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would. If they had just laid down in the second half, the disappointment and frustration would have been unbearable.

ITA!:cheers:

The Duke
01-06-2008, 04:56 PM

well....considering the drinking started around half time :alcoholic: I'm still with a hangover. But other than that I'm fine. I'm over the loss. Time to think about 2008!

DP_Steeler
01-06-2008, 05:05 PM
There is a lot of holes to patch up - not sure we will be that much better next year unless the OL is improved and the D regains a more dominant profile - where is the pressure on opposing QBs? Our blits' are practically non-existent.

Fortunately we have Ben, Hines, Antonio, and FWP, and Miller to build around. A health Troy will also be huge next year - give him credit for playing through a tough injury!

TackleMeBen
01-06-2008, 05:25 PM
if we dont get that offensive line fixed then we will see ben on crutches with a torn acl or something. there is no sense in him having to run for his life on almost every play. i know that he does try to extend the play when there is nothing there, but if he had an offensive line that could hold and give him time he wouldnt have been running around the field.

klick81
01-07-2008, 12:07 AM

Good post...I really do hope brighter days are ahead :smile:

eafratitpm3
01-07-2008, 07:57 AM
As a Steeler fan this loss still stings but in the end I don't think our team would be any match against the cheatriots given our ST's and injuries so Good Luck to Jax next week. If I could wish for anything as a future steeler fan it would be to never have to watch our Offense go into a shell on a drive that they could run out the clock and win the game with. GO STEELERS in 08!!!!!

stlrtruck
01-07-2008, 09:55 AM
To be honest HTG, I'm looking forward to the offseason. This season has been emotionally challenging, especially in the second half - since the ratbird game.

I'll take this offseason and work on my relationships with my wife, my children, my coworkers (once I'm gainfully employeed FT again), and most importantly my relationship with Christ which I have let fall to the wayside over the last few months.

And then come late April I'll wake up for the draft picks and then I'll idle into training camp - unless my wife gets me my birthday/father's day gift which is a trip to the Steelers Men's Fantasy Camp! That will change the mood a lot!!!

Dino 6 Rings
01-07-2008, 10:09 AM
We are Steelers fans. We've seen them lose a Superbowl, 4 or 5 recent year AFC Title games, harder losses in the playoffs when our team wasn't so Banged up or under performing. Going in, we knew it was going to be a tough game, not like the jags were a walkover team that beat us, like losing to the Browns or something.

So it sux yes...but we will reload and be back. And the League knows it.

HometownGal
01-07-2008, 10:12 AM
To be honest HTG, I'm looking forward to the offseason. This season has been emotionally challenging, especially in the second half - since the ratbird game.

I'll take this offseason and work on my relationships with my wife, my children, my coworkers (once I'm gainfully employeed FT again), and most importantly my relationship with Christ which I have let fall to the wayside over the last few months.

And then come late April I'll wake up for the draft picks and then I'll idle into training camp - unless my wife gets me my birthday/father's day gift which is a trip to the Steelers Men's Fantasy Camp! That will change the mood a lot!!!

It has been a roller coaster ride emotionally for all of us Steelers fans this season, no doubt about it and I'm sure the team and coaches feel the same way.

Enjoy the offseason! :cheers:

bestmike26
01-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Well the look of shock is still on my face!!!!!! The conservative calls at the end of the game should really bring tears as we had a chance to put them away and choose to run 3 running plays .....Ouch!!!! Hope Tomlins see's this as lesson learned .....

Jman
01-07-2008, 10:47 AM
HTG -

Good post. :)

I was very happy to see the Steelers come back to a winning record and vastly improve many aspects of the game. This team is explosive on both sides of the ball. With some improvements on the offense, we should be much better next year.

I am very much looking forward to the Tomlin era in that this man shows so much heart for this team.

Do you have a link of the post-game interview?

Rotorhead
01-07-2008, 11:15 AM
I dont really feel there are alot of holes to fill, a Center and guard to replace Faneca. some depth at OL and DL. Alot of ST help and we should be good IMO. Our Def was back this game, and having Smith back will put us #1 again. Our core skill players are some of the best. Our linebackers look to be set for several year (even if Timmons doesnt pan out) We have great DB's and Safeties with some up and coming depth. I am looking forward to next season for sure. I am sure (barring any injuries) we will be even better.

Jman
01-07-2008, 11:18 AM
I dont really feel there are alot of holes to fill, a Center and guard to replace Faneca. some depth at OL and DL. Alot of ST help and we should be good IMO. Our Def was back this game, and having Smith back will put us #1 again. Our core skill players are some of the best. Our linebackers look to be set for several year (even if Timmons doesnt pan out) We have great DB's and Safeties with some up and coming depth. I am looking forward to next season for sure. I am sure (barring any injuries) we will be even better.

:iagree:

This franchise really only needs to grab a few pieces and the project is complete. I really like the new system, but the line needs some vast improvements. Then we should be able to make a really good run for it.