PDA

View Full Version : Yes our O-Line needs help but................

Ricco Suavez
01-06-2008, 10:01 AM
I think we our overlooking a big problem that has plagued this team for two years. That being we have some of the worst starting field position of any team in the league pertaining to kick and punt returns. While we constantly see opposing team returners slice up field against our ST, we on the other hand signal for fair catches or get gang tackled after a meager gain. We have not had a return man since Randel El. I hope we address this in next years draft along with a shored up O-line, DE, a quality receiver, and maybe a RB in the later rounds.I honestly believe we have the toughest schedule ahead of us this next year, and without some significant improvement in these areas we could be looking at 8-8 or worse. Not spouting doom and gloom just calling it as I see it.

Preacher
01-06-2008, 10:08 AM
If we don't address any of those issues, you're probably right. However, we will definitely address those issues.

Hamer
01-06-2008, 10:10 AM
We thought we did address that with Reid, who made his name as a return man. Unfortunately it's been a case of limited opportunities, and when he does get them he doesn't play up to his potential. I like Davenport returning kickoffs. Wilson just looks timid on punt returns, like he's afraid to get hit.

IMO, if Reid and Nate Washington can work on their hands in the off season, either of them have the speed and moves to be effective punt returners.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Yeah but you don't draft a punt and kick returner in the first round.

We thought we got our return man when we drafted Willie Reid, who broke a lot of Deion Sander's punt and kick return records at F$U. Unfortunatly he hasn't been given much of an opportunity since we drafted him (in 2006 he was inactive for most games). I doubt they let him practice it much, hence his muffs when we actually let him return in a game.

And getting a stud return man is like catching lightning in a bottle. Unfortunatly for us, when we had one (Randle El), he was more than just a return guy. Therefore he was a lucritive free agent.

steelersfanman92
01-06-2008, 11:20 AM
I would like to see the Steelers address in in the draft, it would be nice if we could pick up Chris Johnson out of ECU, he can play RB and WR, and is a threat in the return game, it would be a good second day pick up and could really help us

stillers4me
01-06-2008, 11:26 AM
I think special teams is a thorn in Tomlin's side and he will most definitely be addressing it (again) in the off season.

I feel sorry for these guys in TC.

steeltheone
01-06-2008, 11:27 AM
We thought we did address that with Reid, who made his name as a return man. Unfortunately it's been a case of limited opportunities, and when he does get them he doesn't play up to his potential. I like Davenport returning kickoffs. Wilson just looks timid on punt returns, like he's afraid to get hit.

IMO, if Reid and Nate Washington can work on their hands in the off season, either of them have the speed and moves to be effective punt returners.

Davenport could not return kicks for ANY other team in the league. This is how pathetic our Special teams are.

ohiosteelerfan20
01-06-2008, 11:28 AM
After watching Essex have a solid game last night, and how well Starks played before he was hurt, it has got me wondering. Maybe next year, if linemen are getting beat over and over in a game(Mahan and Colon), maybe they can go to a back up in the game. Getting yanked might be a motivator too. I just find it hard to believe that their is not a better center on that team, than Mahan. He was'nt just getting chucked aside, sometimes he just whiffed on his blocks. I really hope that guy is gone next year.

Tankus_Maximus
01-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Hell, if Ben had 1/2 an O-Line, we could've easily been 15-1 (again)....last night's game was Ben Vs. The Jags, course the dumbass nearly lost it for us, but again, he brought us back....great game for Big Ben.

Now the FO needs to keep the boy off his back and invest in an O-Line!!

shevdog
01-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Our special teams have been horrible all season. We can't be giving up big returns and hardly getting any yards on return. Special teams needs to be tight for 2008.

As for O-line, yeah, we know what needs to be done. And Fanaca should be saying his good-byes within the week.

Steelers need to tighten things up on all cylinders. What about the running game? Willie is still my favorite, yet we need to improve the power running game. We need to get back to being a running game. I think we all like good passing games, yet with Steeler brand football, it is all based off the run.

75th Season is over for the Steelers. All I can do now is hope for the Patsies to get upset before they make it to the big game again. I don't want to see cheaters getting #4 to be dubbed for good a dynasty. As us Steelers fans (heck I dare say 49'er and Cowboy fans) know, dynasties don't cheat!

fansince'76
01-06-2008, 12:05 PM
After watching Essex have a solid game last night, and how well Starks played before he was hurt, it has got me wondering.

I thought Essex did a decent job last night - better than I thought he would, anyway.

19ward86
01-06-2008, 12:13 PM
ben holding the ball too long in the pocket is why, we startet out yesterday throwing quick and in the 2nd quarter ben was starting to hold the ball until he was sacked, i say 20sacks are blamed on ben and 20 on the O-line.

stillers4me
01-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Knowing Ben, the Pro bowl selection, breaking team records, and his amazing stats this year will mean nothing to him. This last game, the 3 interceptions and that last sack will eat away at him all off season. He worked extra hard to prove '06 was a fluke. He'll do it again to erase the '07 demons...............you watch. (some things happen for a reason. This loss may turn out to be a blessing in disguise.......Ben is a competitor.....especially with himself)

mopit55
01-06-2008, 01:31 PM
faneca is 31 and free agent,colon is not a pure tackle,mahan has not play very well this season.big ben must have more protect so steelers needs a young tackle in the 2008 draft. they are a lot in the first round.max starks can play very well and with a young tackle like jeff otah if possible in draft,our team became very dangerous

Elvis
01-06-2008, 01:31 PM
:thumbsup: I for one think that he did a fine job. It seemed like he didnt give up anymore than any of the other linemen did all year.
I think that we could replace our whole left side of our line. But Essex seemed to do a nice job to me. Given time to learn the position I think that he would definitely be better than Marvell Smith who is on his last leg anyway. I think that Sean Mahan has got to be replaced as well.. he just gets pushed around by everyone he plays against. Never thought that Hartings meant that much til he was gone..

The Duke
01-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Theb better giv Essex a chance. the past two weeks he went against pretty good pass rushers in baltimore and jacksonville.

Just hope he is consistent though, that's what marvel was missing this year mostly

TackleMeBen
01-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Knowing Ben, the Pro bowl selection, breaking team records, and his amazing stats this year will mean nothing to him. This last game, the 3 interceptions and that last sack will eat away at him all off season. He worked extra hard to prove '06 was a fluke. He'll do it again to erase the '07 demons...............you watch. (some things happen for a reason. This loss may turn out to be a blessing in disguise.......Ben is a competitor.....especially with himself)

:iagree: you know he will come out next year and will want to do nothing more than win a superbowl after losing this way. that is why you have to love a guy that is that much of a competitor. but without a decent oline, we may see him more on the sideline with an injury...

michigan has a great guy in jake long that plays OL he is like 6'7 and 315lb. i wouldnt mind seeing us get him

mopit55
01-06-2008, 02:21 PM
jake long is a 1-15 draft pick don't dream but otah is a strong player

Rhee Rhee
01-06-2008, 02:22 PM

how are u so sure about washington... i dont think he's ever played on ST if at all ...
reid blew out his knee and he has never ever been the same player with the kind of explosiveness... returning kicks is all about explosiveness and speed... reid doesnt have the explosiveness and neither does washington...

mopit55
01-06-2008, 02:25 PM
washington is not an explosive return man and reid too.we need a strong player at this position.

Elvis
01-06-2008, 04:23 PM
:tt02: You know who Reid reminds me of everytime he is back there to recieve a punt?... a guy called Ricardo Colclough.... Now... thats scary!!!!
We do not have anyone on our roster that is capable of being a reliable punt returner game in game out in my opinion. And I wouldnt want to risk losing Santonio Holmes doing that either. The Steelers had a good return man in Rossum and I think that if the Steelers dont get someone in the offseason or draft then he is our man for the job next season, and besides.. we gave up a draft pick to get him.. why not keep him.?

TheMightyEx
01-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Yeah but you don't draft a punt and kick returner in the first round.

We thought we got our return man when we drafted Willie Reid, who broke a lot of Deion Sander's punt and kick return records at F$U. Unfortunatly he hasn't been given much of an opportunity since we drafted him (in 2006 he was inactive for most games). I doubt they let him practice it much, hence his muffs when we actually let him return in a game.

And getting a stud return man is like catching lightning in a bottle. Unfortunatly for us, when we had one (Randle El), he was more than just a return guy. Therefore he was a lucritive free agent.

I thin Reid's injury his first season has ruined him. His stride is much longer than it used to be and he fumbles his fair share...

Lets not forget that we traded for Rossum who was good until he got hurt late too.

The OL has to be our #1 priority this offseason. We can't afford another $5 mil mistake like Sean Mahan.

jjpro11
01-06-2008, 05:58 PM
i like those short, quick running back returners.. guys like MJD, leon washington, darren sproles.. even cribbs is a physical returner. you gotta be able to break some tackles.. davenport can do that but he just isnt fast enough or shifty enough.

Galax Steeler
01-07-2008, 04:04 AM
I'm sure tomlin will start looking at our special teams soon field position sucked for us this year I know rossum is starting to get some age on him and he is not our long term solutinon we need to address it pretty soon.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-07-2008, 04:19 AM
I said it in another thread but will repeat it here....we need to address our OL in free agency (Travell Wharton) AND in the draft. As far as ST is concerned we have to draft better in the later rounds..for the past several years, we have wasted our 5-7 picks.

Steeldude
01-07-2008, 07:12 AM
If we don't address any of those issues, you're probably right. However, we will definitely address those issues.

i'm not so sure they will address it. the steelers should have addressed the O-line 5 years ago. they also waited too long to address the LB corps. i wouldn't be surprised of the steelers took a WR in the 1st round and neglected the O-line until the second day.

one thing is for certain. the steelers aren't going to have such a cake schedule next season.

jjpro11
01-07-2008, 07:05 PM
i'm not so sure they will address it. the steelers should have addressed the O-line 5 years ago. they also waited too long to address the LB corps. i wouldn't be surprised of the steelers took a WR in the 1st round and neglected the O-line until the second day.

one thing is for certain. the steelers aren't going to have such a cake schedule next season.

i dont think there is any way tomlin would do that.. we were starting to get a bit older and thinner at linebackers after losing porter, so we spent our first two picks on linebackers. this year its the same thing with the oline... and now its faneca who is leaving.

SalukiSteelers
01-08-2008, 12:38 AM
how are u so sure about washington... i dont think he's ever played on ST if at all ...
reid blew out his knee and he has never ever been the same player with the kind of explosiveness... returning kicks is all about explosiveness and speed... reid doesnt have the explosiveness and neither does washington...

Here's an off-the-wall suggestion that wouldn't require a draft pick and would cost nothing if he was cut during TC:

Craig Turner, 5-10 195, DB/KS, SIU...4.4 40-yard speed, terrific balance and burst, tough to bring down on returns, hard-nosed and not afraid of contact on coverage. Teams didn't really kick or punt to him all season until SIU made the FCS playoffs. Turner had 3 punt returns for 99 yards in SIU's win over UMass and a SportsCenter Top 10 play with an 88-yard KR TD against Delaware that tied the game, 17-17, in the fourth quarter of a semifinal loss. That post-season KR TD was the second of Turner's career. He loves a big stage.

Delaware (FCS runner-up to App St.) coach K.C. Keeler admitted his team knew better when it kicked to Turner: “Well, he got it and what an amazing play he made, Talking to our friends at Massachusetts and they said, ‘Don’t kick it there.’ I’m sure (UMass coach Don Brown) is watching this game and hollering at the TV, ‘Idiot! I told you not to kick it to him!’ He’s a special player and he makes a lot of big plays and that was a huge, obviously, momentum shift.”

Turner averaged "only" 11.5 yp punt return his senior season, but teams pooched and angled him habitually. SIU's field position rocked all season because of fear. He had a 29.1 yp KR average this season. He also average 75.2 all-purpose yards a game, good for 1,053 on the season even though he never touched the ball on offense.

Turner’s 1,117 punt return yards are No. 1 in both SIU and Gateway Football Conference history. He averaged 12.7 yards for his career on 88 punt returns. He finished his career with 1,613 kick return yards, good for a 26.4 yards per return average.

Turner on whethter it's better to be crazy or tough to return kicks and punts: “You have to have both to play special teams. You’ve got to have that aggressiveness to do it. You’ve got to be a little crazy to run through a wedge.”

Turner switched from RB to DB his junior season and finished his career with 144 tackles, two interceptions and two fumble recoveries in 30 starts at cornerback. He had 68 tackles his senior season.

I understand the NFL is a big step up from FCS, but I bet if you asked any coach who had to deal with Turner, they would say there's no doubt he was a top-5 national returner. I'm not his agent, but he is on the "man crush" team.

Here's a quote from his ST coach at SIU, Jay Sawvel: “If we were going to play a pick-up game and choose sides and just go out here and play flag football, he’s going to be one of the first guys you pick because whether you want him to play defense, whether you want him to play some offense, whatever you want him to do, he can probably do it.”

Well, that should give you all the information you never cared to know about a player you've never heard at an FCS school. Thank you, and, good night! :jammin:

atlsteelers
01-09-2008, 11:44 AM
We really need help on the o-line. i see us signing a mid-level guard in free agency to replace alan. Mahan looks horrible. Tampa dumped this guy, now i can why. Is the talent down on this team? I partially blame ben on the number of sacks but how many times does it seem like when our rbs get the ball they are getting hit 3yds in the backfield .