PDA

View Full Version : SteelCityMan's 2007 Season Report Card

SteelCityMan786
01-06-2008, 11:52 AM
So I thought I'd do a report card on each area for the Steelers. The lower the grade, the more I think Improvement will be needed.

Quaterback = A Big Ben improved greatly from 2006. He didn't consistently make the mistakes which have killed him and hard. He was smarter with the ball. Batch also filled in well for him minus a couple mistakes that probably costed the Steelers the game in Baltimore.
Off-season Needs =None

Running Backs = B+ Davenport and Parker were a pretty good tandem in the backfield this year. Parker carried the load well until the injury knocked him out. Willie is only going to get better. Najeh looked impressive particularly last night scoring a couple of key TD's which gave them a shot at the end of the game.
Off-season Needs=None, but picking up a player in Free Agency or the Draft wouldn't hurt

Receivers = B- The receiving core was pretty good. If they didn't have some drops or made a few more key catches, we might right now be already talking about preparations for next week either as a team with a first round bye or maybe even winning round 1.
Off-season Needs=Draft a WR who can catch the ball without dropping them on a consistent basis.

Offensive Line = D They were on pace to get a B from me this season, but they so badly underachieved all the way through the end of the year starting with the Pats game minus St. Louis and maybe last night. But, they will need to improve greatly in 2008 if the Steelers are to repeat as AFC North Champions.
Off-season Needs Pick up a Guard and Tackle in the Draft or Free Agency.

Defensive Line= B A solid group but they did not open the holes for DB's, LB's, etc. to get pressure on the QB. With a few improvements next year and the possibility of going 4-3, this can be a solid group.
Off-Season Needs=Pick up another D-Linemen to help the transition to 4-3 if the go there as planned.

Linebackers= A- This was a great group of players this year minus a couple of games. However, this year they will have a decision to make between Farrior and Haggans. Foote can also be placed in that Equation. The Steelers I would not be surprised if Haggans goes because Farrior in my opinion still has couple more good years to go.
Off-season Needs=Go after another LB in the draft.

Seconday =C Pretty much average starting with the 2nd half of the pats game till the end of the year. I was probably the most frustrated with this group then any of them. If this group does not change over the off-season in terms of how they develop in mini camp and training camp, expect more of the same play to happen next year
Off-Season Needs=More likely a shutdown corner

Special Teams =D- Need I say more? I was probably most frustrated with the Kick Coverage unit ESPECIALLY last night. Punt Coverage and Return were pretty good.
Off-Season Needs=(Pending other positions)

Coaching =B Mike Tomlin did a great job for year 1. Not all coaches ever have the chance in year 1 to make the playoffs and fortunately for him, he got to do it in year 1. But some staff changes will be needed.
Off-Season Needs=A New Offensive Coordinator

steelersfanman92
01-06-2008, 12:22 PM
I agree with you on getting a new offensive coordinator, he had his good calls with spreading out the offense sometimes, but when it came down to it he just didn't pull through for us

fansince'76
01-06-2008, 12:24 PM
If anybody from the coaching staff needs to go, it's Ligashesky. The STs went from bad to worse this year.

SteelDogFan
01-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Quaterback = B+ What I saw from Ben was growth, but at the same time he still tends to hold the ball and wait for someone to get open when he should hit his back foot and throw the ball. Once he throws an int it is even worse. Something I did notice was he came back from it very quickly this year.

Running Backs = B+ agreed

Receivers = B+ I dont think the wide reciever play was bad i believe they played to their potential. We need to add a tall deep threat.

Offensive Line = D agreed

Defensive Line= B agreed

Linebackers= B- In the late season there was a decline but in the playoff game I sawthe old D. If they would have played that way all year the Steelers may have only loss one game, to the Pats.

Seconday =C My only problem is the D needs to make some big plays I believe we were last in ints.

Special Teams =F biggest play in the playoff game was the momentum changing kickoff return by Drew.

Coaching =B- I wont tomlin to assert himself and tell arians when the play call is a bad one.

19ward86
01-06-2008, 01:45 PM
i love doing these types of things, alright here i go:

Quaterback = A Ben has been a key to us winning consistently, defensive secondaries cant play near the line because of his big arm which opens up runs in the second level.
Off-season Needs =a guy to be a 3rd stringer, like omar jacobs...

Running Backs = C+ we had like 6 rushing TDs this season and that is not exceptable, second efforts some time didnt seem to be excistent.
Off-season Needs=iI wouldnt mind picking up Javorski Lane from Texas A&M in the draft to be a goaline back, special teams guy, backup or starting fullback. he could be very useful.

Receivers = A I think that hines had a great checkdown season, his role is becoming easier to define, he is our 3rd down and 5 guy. holmes is breaking out to be a top reciever he is making catches that you see reggie wayne making.
Off-season Needs=Draft a guy who can return with enough speed to get to the outside and make his own plays not rely on our bad blocking.

Offensive Line = D Alan Faneca, Marvel Smith, even with them both playing the left side we couldnt run consistently in my mind, we coldnt throw it without getting sacked a few times a game.
Off-season Needs Trade Marvell Smith for a 2nd round pick, we get a 3rd round pick for alan, put kendall simmons at center, put starks at LG, Kemaeotu at RG, Colon at RT and then draft a LT,Trai Essex looks like he can handle a few starts next season.

Defensive Line= C I think i would rather see Keisel at a LB position where he stands up and drops into coverage more often, Keisel and Smith didnt get to the QB enough.
Off-Season Needs=Free agent or Rookie.

Linebackers= A+ 99.9%, it would of been 100% but haggans didnt get enough pressure on the QB last season.
Off-season Needs=Start Woodley over Haggans next season and then draft a late round linebacker to add depth.

Seconday =B Ike taylor is proving every year that he is becoming a shutdown corner, maybe he cant catch but he also stops others from catching the ball, mcfadden looks like a bust, and deshea is solid but not enough speed on the field and it was obvious that we missed ryan clark.
Off-Season Needs=A safety in FA and some corners in the draft that resemble william gay.

Special Teams =F, Jeff Reed gets and A, Sepulveda gets a C, and returning and covering both get big fat Fs. Jeff was great but Sepulveda was dissapointing i thought a 2 time Ray Guy award winner would be able to kick it farthur.
Off-Season Needs=Draft some linebackers that can block and some running backs with a return man.

Coaching =A I think Tomlin did a great job at keeping things in tradition, he made them like him. Dick had a good season but he should of decided to play Timmons more and Woodley more for experience. I think Bruce had a good playcalling season but didnt design very many good plays.
Off-Season Needs=Special Teams coach.

Elvis
01-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Special Teams =F, Jeff Reed gets and A, Sepulveda gets a C, and returning and covering both get big fat Fs. Jeff was great but Sepulveda was dissapointing i thought a 2 time Ray Guy award winner would be able to kick it farthur.
Off-Season Needs=Draft some linebackers that can block and some running backs with a return man.
:jawdrop:
Reed had a great year as far as kicking FG's in my opinion. And how many punts did our rookie punter that obviously no one likes put inside the opp. 20 yard line?. About 10 times as many a Gardocki did in 2 years or more combined. He is gonna be very good and I think that he averaged over 42 yards a punt

I think that our team MVP this year had to be Ben. He set records for TDs this season and made a Huge Difference in his performance from last season. He could have very easily hung his head last night in the early 2nd half.. but he didnt ... He kept his head up and just kept playing and led us to should have been a victory.
QB= A
RB= B-
WR= (Hines & Holmes ) A (Rest of team=F)
TE= B
OL= F
DL= (Aaron Smith A) Rest D
LB= C (Harrison A)
DB= Compared to last year?...B+
S= D
P= B
PK= B
ST= Dont even go there!!

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Quarterback - A - Ben progressed as he would have in 2006 but for the motorcycle accident, appendectomy & concussion - he is clearly one of the top 5 QBs in the league on the shelf below Brady & Peyton

Running back - B plus - Wilie P. had excellent yardage until hurt but the runs (probably due to the horrible OL) were in many cases gain 1, lose 2, gain 8 by bouncing it outside). Najeh is not a power back but had good moments.

Receivers - B - the OL problems forced Heath Miller to help block rather than be the consistent force we saw last night; the loss of Tuman hurt and Spaeth was a cipher.
Ward played better the second half of the year while Holmes showed flashes of brillliance but was hobbled by injuries WR depth behind the starters is thin.

Offensive line - D - they could not pass protect but could not run block either. A total disaster that requires a total rebuild.

Defensive line - B minus - Hampton was not totally dominant inside as in the past and the run D was slipping even before Aaron Smith was hurt

Linebackers - B - A for Harrison and A- for Farrior. Haggans was a non-factor on the pass rush the second half of the season and Foote was not as effective as in previous years. Woodley played well and IMO Woodley & Timmons start next year.

Secondary - C plus - bounceback year for Taylor and Townsend played within his limits. Losing Clark was a major blow at safety, as Anthony Smith was not ready for prime time while another injury plagued season by Troy was both a disappointment and a concern for the future.

Special teams - D - kickers were adequate and Reed was outstanding on FGs but the kick coverage teams should cost the ST coach his job while Rossum provided nothing other than not fumbling on returns after the 1 TD return in September

Coaching - B minus - Arians helped develop Ben while continuing to make odd calls (pass happy in Denver, throw on 3rd & flanker run on 4th and goal in New England, the 3rd and 6 QB run last night) - Madden was calling Arians out on plays like the red zone screens last night more than I recall Madden usually going after the playcalling. LeBeau is either not calling the blitzes like he used to or the league has figured out the zone blitz - Steelers never really worked out meshing LeBeau's attacking style & Tomlin's Cover 2 preferences. ST coach should be fired and the OL coach certainly does nothing to raise the level of play of his crew. I like Tomlin's presence but his team was not ready to play in the first half of several games against inferior teams and, while injuries were a big factor, the team finished badly + was objectively worse in November & December than it was in September & October.

Grade for the season - B

d2609j
01-06-2008, 02:22 PM
QB- B- , The bottom line is Ben has never stepped up in any big games throughout his time with the Steelers. Including this year. His play was better this year, than last but truthfully how could it not be. I see a arrogant young kid who the steelers are going to spend a boat load on this offseason that needs to work on his game, and professionalism. (ie. Throwing Wiz and Cowher under the bus all year.)

RB- B, The line did not help us out much, but man I miss The BUS. This is an area that definately needs to be improved in the off season.

WR. B- Alot of dropped balls. We need to improve this area also. Washington is a RFA this year. Will they pay him and Wilson? Holmes will be a star in this league. I only hope we extend him and it is with us.

OL. F, First three rounds of the draft should be spent to this position. Mahan is not the answer at C. We should have drafted a Center last year. Move Mahan to G. and draft a C. Thanks for the memories Alan.

DL. C+. Hampton needs to play better. Losing Aaron Smith killed us.

LB. B-, Age is catching up with this group. Woodley is a nice fit. Simmons was a complete no show. Haggans im sure is gone. We will need to get a work in progress guy late in the draft for 2-3 yrs down the road.

DBs C, Injuries hurt us, but can we get some guys that can catch a ball. we need to address the safty position. William Gay will be good down the road

ST. Reed-A Sepulveda-C. Return and coverage tems--F. Accounted for 2-3 losses this year, including the Playoff game.

Coaching. C- Still not sold on Tomlin. I think we might be in for a long 4-5 years. No emotion, no fire, horrible 1st draft, but Big Ben likes him so that counts for something. Play calling this year was terrible from OC. Lebau did ok with all the injuries. Need new special teams coaches. We should have stayed with Grimm.

Offseason. get rid of Wilson or Washington and bring in a WR. OL first 3 rounds of draft. If Ben is so worried about losing Fanaca, he should step up and do what Brady or Manning did. Help the team out a little bit. Keep some of your teamates.

fansince'76
01-06-2008, 02:24 PM
The bottom line is Ben has never stepped up in any big games throughout his time with the Steelers. Including this year.

Yeah, he really blew in the '05 playoffs. :coffee: Without Ben, this team would have been 6-10 this year, and that's being generous. As far as "staying with Grimm" (presumably as HC), how many other teams interviewed him for HC? Maybe there's something the Rooneys know that we don't?

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2008, 02:31 PM
QB- B- , The bottom line is Ben has never stepped up in any big games throughout his time with the Steelers. Including this year.

Coaching. C- We should have stayed with Grimm.

Have to disagree with you on Ben - with that OL he had an outstanding season and played very well in the three pre-SB playoff games in 2005, notably Denver.

As for staying with Grimm, the bartenders of Pittsburgh no doubt wish that happened, but are you saying he should have been hired as HC? He certainly was not staying once Tomlin was hired and is not on any top 10 list of HC candidates I have seen lately. The rot in the OL set in while that was still Grimm's baby.

Definitely agree the 2007 draft appears to be underwhelming at this point.

MasterOfPuppets
01-06-2008, 02:38 PM
QB- B- , The bottom line is Ben has never stepped up in any big games throughout his time with the Steelers. Including this year. WTF.....how did we make it to the sb in 2005 ??? :rolleyes:

BlastFurnace
01-06-2008, 03:07 PM
QB

Ben - A
Batch - C

Great year by Ben. Without him, we are a 6-10 team. With him, we have something to build on and are always a SB contender.

RB

Parker - A
Davenport - C+
Davis - B
Others - C

Parker's injury affect was clearly seen yesterday. Some of the 5 yard runs by Najeh would have been 15-20 with Willie. Najeh runs too soft for this team and our needs for a bruising RB late in games...that falls forward for yardage...is crucial. We need to upgrade here. Davis must have been doing something right to be the lead blocker for the leading rusher through 14 weeks...since we know the OL didn't help much.
I want to see more of Russell.

WR

Ward - B+
Holmes - B+
Washington - C
Wilson - C+

Ward has the biggest heart on the team. I love to watch him play and I hate that he is getting older. Holmes is a special receiver. We just need to keep his hammy's healthy. Washington is a good #3, but his hands can drive you crazy. Wilson is a good WR, but just doesn't get the chance.

We need a Drew Bennett, Ed McCaffrey, Joe Juravicous type of receiver. A big, tall guy who catches everything thrown his way.

TE

Miller - A
Spaeth - C+
Tuman - Inc

Miller is great, but has to stay in and block too much due to our OL problems. I think he can do for us what Jason Witten does for Dallas if given the chance. Spaeth needs to get stronger and block someone for a change. He does have good hands and is a dependable receiver though. Tuman, IMO, was a big loss for our TE position. I have always liked Tuman. He is a good receiver and a decent blocker.

OL

Smith - C+
Faneca - D+
Mahan - F
Simmons - C-
Colon - D

53 sacks through 17 games is terrible...any way you slice it. Mahan might be our worst FA signing since Donnell Woolford. Marvell Smith, IMO, is on his last leg due to injuries. Simmons was a panic sign by the Steelers last training camp. I wish we didn't have so much wrapped up in him. Colon is better suited inside...at Simmons position. It's sad that your most memorable and perhaps best performances of the season were turned in by Starks and Essex. Last night's game will be enough for Essex to return. Max's injury may make him affordable again. Faneca might want to join the Wizard of Oz crew and search for his $8 Million a year somewhere else, because he won't get it from the Steelers and he isn't worth that any longer.

O'Line is a must 1st round pick for the Steelers next draft.

DL

Smith - A
Hampton - B
Keisel - C-
Hoke - C+
Eason - D

Aaron Smith solidified himself as the defensive MVP of this team for his ability to eat up blockers, get pressure on the QB, swallow up runners, and keep Hampton from being double teamed. Hampton had a decent year, but when teams didn't have to worry about Smith any longer, they focused on Hampton and it hurt his effectiveness.
The coaching staff still thinks that Keisel can be played like Adalius Thomas when he was with Baltimore. Brett is not as good or as fast as Adalius. Another problem with Keisel is that he does not take more than one lineman up to block him. More than ever, this DL unit needs to get younger and get some more depth.

LB

Harrison - A
Farrior - C+
Foote - C
Haggans - D
Woodley - B+
Timmons - Inc.

Next year, Woodley better be the starter. Timmons needs a place to start as well, but if the coaching staff does not think that Foote needs to be replaced, where does he play. The problem with Foote is that he needs an extremely strong cast around him to be effective. He is not big enough nor fast enough to be a difference maker by himself. When the other 3 LB's are not playing at a high level, Foote is a liability. Farrior is just slowing down. He's still effective, but age is creeping up on him.
Haggans is finished.

DB

Taylor - B+
Townsend - B
McFadden - B
Gay - C
Polamalu - B
Clark - B
Smith - F
Carter - C

Taylor is a strong starting CB. If he had better hands, he would be talked about as much as Champ Bailey. McFadden needs to take the reigns next season. He's a good, physical corner that can help the Steelers have a really nice CB combination. Townsend can still play, but like Farrior, age is creeping up on him. Gay is young, but showed some promise. You never heard him causing penalties or getting burned much.

Polamalu, I am convinced, has been kidnapped by Kendrell Bell with all his injuries that past 2 seasons. Seriously, I am worried about Troy. He plays with a ton of heart, but just has been hurt too much the past two seasons with shoulder, knee, rib cartiledge, and I think a concussion or two. We need him, but I'm not sure we can count on him for an entire season any longer. Clark's value was clearly shown when he got sick in Denver. He solidified the secondary and his loss coincided with our problems back there. Anthony Smith is a big hitter, but nothing else. Plays so undisciplined that he reminds me of Delton Hall from the 1980's. Carter is just limited by his physical attributes. He is a reserve that has been pressed into a starting role.

OC - B

Obviously, Ben was more comfortable this season and his stats and play showed it. I think Arians get's a bad rap by most Steelers fans. His playcalling at the end of the game yesterday was horrendous, but the playcalling for the 3rd and most of the 4th QTR had Jacksonville reeling.

DC - C+

LeBeau's defense sure looked a lot better when Woodley was in there instead of Haggans. Dick still has something left in the tank. I'm just not sure how much longer he wants to do this. I hope for atleast 2 more seasons. The grade is lower than a B because of the amount of game ending drives the defense gave up to either tie or win the game for the other team.

HC - B+

Tomlin did a great job this year. The only problem is that somehow he has to get the mindset changed amongst the team that we cannot play down to our competition when playing losing teams. As much as I hate a certain winning team in the AFC that will not be named...I love how they go out to destroy everyone they play from start to finish. What I do really like about Tomlin is that he has the drive, passion, and dedication that will make him a long term success in Pittsburgh. Rumor has it that he is already thinking about next season.....I love that!

The changes needed on our coaching staff must include OL and ST coach. St. Louis had the worst ST unit in the league when Coach Lig was there and he brought that to Pittsburgh with him. Like I said in another thread, I hate to see a man lose his job, but if Tomlin doesn't do something here, it will forever be a weak link of this team. The O'line was so bad and regressed to badly that I wouldn't mind seeing a change at the O'line coach as well. Who knows, Hartings retirement may have really created the problem, but it's clear that we need some better development of our younger players as well.

Rhee Rhee
01-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Seconday =C Pretty much average starting with the 2nd half of the pats game till the end of the year. I was probably the most frustrated with this group then any of them. If this group does not change over the off-season in terms of how they develop in mini camp and training camp, expect more of the same play to happen next year
Off-Season Needs=More likely a shutdown corner

ur a little tough on the secondary dont u think? sure they got lit up by the patriots.. who didnt? through at least 3/4 of the season we played great ball behind all our blitzing linebackers..

fansince'76
01-06-2008, 03:33 PM
ur a little tough on the secondary dont u think? sure they got lit up by the patriots.. who didnt? through at least 3/4 of the season we played great ball behind all our blitzing linebackers..

Agreed - how quickly folks forget "Charred" Scott, DeWayne "Burnt Toast" Washington, and Lee "Paper Champions" Flowers, isn't it? Can't say I blame them - I try to push nightmares to the back of my mind as well.

SteelCityMan786
01-06-2008, 03:37 PM

Maybe a bit. C+ to a B- at best. But then again I want to leave them room for improvement.

MasterOfPuppets
01-06-2008, 03:51 PM
QB ...A -....Ben carried this team all season, and proved he's up there with the elite.he still tends to hold the ball to long, and needs to work on reads.

RB...B -.....When the coaching staff is calling pass plays on the goal line, that shows lack of confidience to get the tuff yards. lack of td's from the backs needs to improve.

WR...C +....to many dropped balls, and no consistency from the slot.

OL ...D -...inconsistent run blocking, absolutely horrible pass blocking. if something isn't done about this group, we'll be looking for a new QB.

DL ...C +...age is starting to show, and lack of quality backups were exposed this group gets very little QB pressure.

LBER....C +... missed tackles, decline in sacks and QB pressure, and very few big plays from this group is how i'll remember this unit. hopefully woodley and timmons will bring back the title " heart and soul " of the D.

DB....C+... did a great job at the beginning of the year ,with not giving up the big plays, but the flip side is, they made very few big plays !!! 11 int 's tied for the league worst. ike and deshea had descent years, but the poor play from safetys overshadowed them. injuries were a big factor.

ST,,,,D... Jeff reed was great on field goals, but still needs to get the ball past the 10 on kickoffs. sepulvada, did not justify his 4th rd pick, both sides of the return games was terrible

coaching...C +.. special teams and oline coaches should be fired today !!! i like what arians has done with developing ben, but his play calling has been questionable at times. lebeau seemed to have trouble with adjustments in some games, and his blitz packages were ineffective for the most part. tomlin gets a pass this year,but there were some games where the team looked flat and unprepared. he needs to learn how to motivate.

d2609j
01-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Yeah, he really blew in the '05 playoffs. :coffee: Without Ben, this team would have been 6-10 this year, and that's being generous. As far as "staying with Grimm" (presumably as HC), how many other teams interviewed him for HC? Maybe there's something the Rooneys know that we don't?

I stand corrected, His Denver game in 05 was good. But he has far more bad (horrible) games than good in playoffs. Jets 04, Pats 04, Seahawks 05, Jags 07. But lets be honest, he lost as many games this year as he won for us. Including this playoff game. As for Tomlin. Im saying Im not sold on him yet. He won this year with alot of Cowhers players. When your punter gets Team rookie of he year, that does not set well for your 1st draft. I guarantee this team plays harder, works harder, goes farther with Grimm as the coach. And our offensive line doesnt give up 45+ sacks. Thats My Opinion.

fansince'76
01-06-2008, 05:59 PM
I stand corrected, His Denver game in 05 was good. But he has far more bad (horrible) games than good in playoffs. Jets 04, Pats 04, Seahawks 05, Jags 07. But lets be honest, he lost as many games this year as he won for us. Including this playoff game. As for Tomlin. Im saying Im not sold on him yet. He won this year with alot of Cowhers players. When your punter gets Team rookie of he year, that does not set well for your 1st draft. I guarantee this team plays harder, works harder, goes farther with Grimm as the coach. And our offensive line doesnt give up 45+ sacks. Thats My Opinion.

His performances in Cincy and Indy on the road in '05 were pretty damn good too. Yeah, it was Ben's fault that the D gave up last minute game-winning drives in Denver and NY. As much as you may not want to admit it, this team doesn't sniff the postseason without Ben this year. As far as Sep getting the team rook award, he is the only one who played. Think Woodley's a bust? As far as Grimm goes, once again, how many other teams have interviewed him for their HC job if he truly is HC material?

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2008, 06:02 PM
I guarantee this team plays harder, works harder, goes farther with Grimm as the coach. And our offensive line doesnt give up 45+ sacks. Thats My Opinion.

The OL was horrible in 2006 when Grimm coached it

The team laid down in 2006 - where were Grimm's motivational skills then?

Just my opinion

TackleMeBen
01-06-2008, 07:06 PM
The OL was horrible in 2006 when Grimm coached it

The team laid down in 2006 - where were Grimm's motivational skills then?

Just my opinion

i have to agree with Dan here. Grimm isnt HC material especially in Pittsburgh. and if he had gotten the job and we had a record like baltimore or cincy people would be ready to run him out of town and say that the rooney's should have went outside to get a HC.

and for OC.. i hear that jim hostler is available..lol... :wink02:

Godfather
01-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Secondary shouldn't be graded too harshly. They were riddled with injuries. The last month of the season shows how valuable Ryan Clark is--we need to sign him to a long term deal (which fortunately won't cost too much). Smith needs to stop committing unsportsmanlike conduct and late hits. He does that next year and he should be on the first bus out of town.

The O-line was horrible. The only good news is we might be able to sign Faneca, because only a moron would give him a monster contract after this year. Oh, wait...Snyder, Dan. Davis, Al. In any case, that's a rebuilding project. It would also be nice to grab a 6-5 receiver with 4.5 speed but we'll probably be picking too low.

I'm pleased with Tomlin--the top two picks this year were intended to be long term projects and not immediate contributors. Plus, I when I saw the debacle at the end of the Cards-Niners game, I knew for sure we were right to hire Tomlin over Grimm...that fiasco was worse than anything I saw the Steelers do this year.

Michael Keller
01-06-2008, 10:37 PM
QB- B- , The bottom line is Ben has never stepped up in any big games throughout his time with the Steelers. Including this year. His play was better this year, than last but truthfully how could it not be. I see a arrogant young kid who the steelers are going to spend a boat load on this offseason that needs to work on his game, and professionalism. (ie. Throwing Wiz and Cowher under the bus all year.)

RB- B, The line did not help us out much, but man I miss The BUS. This is an area that definately needs to be improved in the off season.

WR. B- Alot of dropped balls. We need to improve this area also. Washington is a RFA this year. Will they pay him and Wilson? Holmes will be a star in this league. I only hope we extend him and it is with us.

OL. F, First three rounds of the draft should be spent to this position. Mahan is not the answer at C. We should have drafted a Center last year. Move Mahan to G. and draft a C. Thanks for the memories Alan.

DL. C+. Hampton needs to play better. Losing Aaron Smith killed us.

LB. B-, Age is catching up with this group. Woodley is a nice fit. Simmons was a complete no show. Haggans im sure is gone. We will need to get a work in progress guy late in the draft for 2-3 yrs down the road.

DBs C, Injuries hurt us, but can we get some guys that can catch a ball. we need to address the safty position. William Gay will be good down the road

ST. Reed-A Sepulveda-C. Return and coverage tems--F. Accounted for 2-3 losses this year, including the Playoff game.

Coaching. C- Still not sold on Tomlin. I think we might be in for a long 4-5 years. No emotion, no fire, horrible 1st draft, but Big Ben likes him so that counts for something. Play calling this year was terrible from OC. Lebau did ok with all the injuries. Need new special teams coaches. We should have stayed with Grimm.

Offseason. get rid of Wilson or Washington and bring in a WR. OL first 3 rounds of draft. If Ben is so worried about losing Fanaca, he should step up and do what Brady or Manning did. Help the team out a little bit. Keep some of your teamates.

Shocking critique . Gotta be a bartender or a relative of Grimm's . Well different opinions are part of life.

IslandSteeler
01-06-2008, 10:43 PM
I thought the year was a positive. B+

Ben had a fantastic year. A

The O-Line sucked, but I didn't expect anything different because they were just as bad last year and didn't really do anything to improve it. D-

Definitely, disappointed with the special teams after all the preseason talk about how much time they would spend on improving. F

Defense was great as usual. Especially considering the injuries. A

I was impressed with Tomlin. He made a few coaching mistakes in games, but I think with a little more time he could become one of the best, right up there with his mentor dungy. B+

My christmas list includes a dominant o-lineman maybe two and a big short yard back.

MasterOfPuppets
01-06-2008, 11:00 PM
I stand corrected, His Denver game in 05 was good. But he has far more bad (horrible) games than good in playoffs. Jets 04, Pats 04, Seahawks 05, Jags 07. But lets be honest, he lost as many games this year as he won for us. Including this playoff game. As for Tomlin. Im saying Im not sold on him yet. He won this year with alot of Cowhers players. When your punter gets Team rookie of he year, that does not set well for your 1st draft. I guarantee this team plays harder, works harder, goes farther with Grimm as the coach. And our offensive line doesnt give up 45+ sacks. Thats My Opinion.pssst........i'm gonna let you in n a little secret.....RUSS GRIMMS 2006 LINE gave up 49 SACKS!!! let me do the math for ya....thats 2 more than this year......i guess your opinion just took a major credibility hit....:toofunny:
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2006&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Find

klick81
01-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Off-Season Needs=A New Offensive Coordinator

THANK YOU.

Preacher
01-07-2008, 12:10 AM
pssst........i'm gonna let you in n a little secret.....RUSS GRIMMS 2006 LINE gave up 49 SACKS!!! let me do the math for ya....thats 2 more than this year......i guess your opinion just took a major credibility hit....:toofunny:
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2006&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Find

Russ Grimm. head coach. yeah.. right!

I was GLAD he was gone. Believe it or not, our O line was BETTER THIS YEAR then last!

X-Terminator
01-07-2008, 12:59 AM
I stand corrected, His Denver game in 05 was good.

Yes it was.

But lets be honest, he lost as many games this year as he won for us. Including this playoff game.

No, he didn't. The Steelers don't win 6 games without Ben. That's just a fact.

As for Tomlin. Im saying Im not sold on him yet. He won this year with alot of Cowhers players. When your punter gets Team rookie of he year, that does not set well for your 1st draft. I guarantee this team plays harder, works harder, goes farther with Grimm as the coach.

No, they don't. More than likely, they get complacent, which familiarity generally does. And if Grimm was such a great HC candidate, how come he has failed to get every job he has interviewed for? There obviously is a reason. And as I've said a million times already, you and many other fans need to get off the "Tomlin isn't emotional" kick, because it does not guarantee success. Bill Cowher is gone. Get over it, and accept that Mike Tomlin is his own man, and is going to be the head coach of your team for a long time.

And our offensive line doesnt give up 45+ sacks. Thats My Opinion.

The OL gave up MORE sacks under Grimm last season, and didn't exactly set the world on fire in the SB season. So you're wrong again.

Next...

The Duke
01-07-2008, 01:09 AM
2006 o line may have given us more sacks than 2007, but willie was more successful at running the ball in 06 than 07. so I wouldn't call one better than the other.

I know sometimes willie ran despite the o line's effort, but 2006 was really a breakout season for him and the o line helped him many times. but also did dan kreider( who should be the fullback next year)....

Steeldude
01-07-2008, 01:44 AM
QB - B+ (stats are great, but playing smart football is important also. holding the ball too long and forcing unneeded passes are rookie mistakes that BR has yet to fix. his release is also slow and his long passes still hang)

RB - B (it would be nice to have a bruising back again. not necessarily to take parker's job, but for short yardage etc...)

WR - B (better than average. a big WR would be good. spaeth need to work on his blocking. ward might need to restructure his contract. $7,450,000 against the cap is awfully high)

O Line - D (poor protection. losing the battle on the scrimmage too frequently. tackles are need very badly. if stapleton isn't the answer at center then that is a need also. mahan is clearly not a center. address O-line early in draft)

D Line - C- (kiesel is useless on the line in a 3-4. he is too small and too weak to take on linemen. cutting him saves a lot in cap money. hampton needs to lose weight. smith isn't getting any younger, but is still solid. the draft or FA market needs to be looked at here)

LB - D (harrison was the only LB to show up this year. foote is a consant liability. he is either getting mowed down or he is out of position. haggans was doing his best impersonation of porter/gildon. farrior is getting old. hopefully timmons and woodley can fill some spots. if you are running a 3-4 blitz scheme then your LBs better be good to great, not average and below)

DB - B+ (having to pressure the QB, cover WRs and stop the run are a lot of things to have on your plate. townsend is getting any younger. taylor is fine, but can't catch a ball. mcfadden hasn't shown anything but the ability to rack up PI penalties. polamalu has been injury prone. clark might be done. he was sorely missed this season. i wonder if the anthony smith fans see why clark was starting. smith needs to learn how to play football. football isn't just about making a big hits and it certainly isn't dancing around on routine plays. perhaps smith should play SS and polamalu polamalu play FS. the secondary received little help from the LB or D-line in terms of QB pressure. the steelers only have so many draft picks. i don't think the DBs should be addressed in the early rounds)

ST - D (it's only a D because reed lifted the grade. the kick/punt coverage units are just plain horrible. the return units are just as bad. reed gets a B+. would be higher if he could kick the ball in the endzone a little more frequently)

coaching - N/A (too early to tell for tomlin. he needs to stop the "playing not to lose" crap. the O-line coach might need the axe. arians deserves one more year. let's see what the staff does in the offseason/draft )

d2609j
01-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Thought I would give it a week before responding in the hopes of cooling down from the Jags loss. But even a week later, and after watching the Jags get blown out my opinion has not changed. Although Big Ben had a better year than last year, he still is just an average + QB right now. He holds the ball way to long, and at time makes horrible decisions. His holding of the ball to long contributed to 2/3rds of this years sacks.

As for Tomlin, for him not make any changes on his staff, most glaring on STs is a joke. This will be a big offseason for the steelers, a crossroad as you would say. He still has to convince me that he is leading this team in the right direction. He hasnt so far.

For all the bashing of Grimm. This guy will be a head coach one day. He has a proven past. Far superior to Tomlin. For his prior interviews, he was up front with who he interviewed with last year that he wanted to be the steelers coach. Which hurt him with those jobs. I still believe he is not the coach of the steelers because the Rooneys didnt want to pay him the $$$. They got off cheaper with Tomlin. Tomlin should thank the Rooneys for being cheap.

fansince'76
01-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Thought I would give it a week before responding in the hopes of cooling down from the Jags loss. But even a week later, and after watching the Jags get blown out my opinion has not changed. Although Big Ben had a better year than last year, he still is just an average + QB right now. He holds the ball way to long, and at time makes horrible decisions. His holding of the ball to long contributed to 2/3rds of this years sacks.

As for Tomlin, for him not make any changes on his staff, most glaring on STs is a joke. This will be a big offseason for the steelers, a crossroad as you would say. He still has to convince me that he is leading this team in the right direction. He hasnt so far.

For all the bashing of Grimm. This guy will be a head coach one day. He has a proven past. Far superior to Tomlin. For his prior interviews, he was up front with who he interviewed with last year that he wanted to be the steelers coach. Which hurt him with those jobs. I still believe he is not the coach of the steelers because the Rooneys didnt want to pay him the $$$. They got off cheaper with Tomlin. Tomlin should thank the Rooneys for being cheap.

"Average" or no, this team is at best 6-10 without Ben this year. A week hasn't changed that. As far as 2/3 of the sacks being Ben's fault? I call :bs: on that one, sorry. The OL in it's current incarnation can't pass block, period.

Tomlin won 2 more games with the same outfit that struggled to go 8-8 the year before = progress. Get used to him being around, because he'll be here for a while.

The fact remains that our OL sucked even worse in '06 than this year. Again, if he's such a hot HC prospect, why is it that I still haven't heard Grimm's name mentioned ONCE for any of the slots that have come vacant already? And I'm sorry, I'm calling :bs: on the assertion that he was "up front with other teams that interviewed him about wanting to be the Steelers' HC above all else." What teams? And a cardinal rule of ANY interview (not to mention being just plain common sense) is to not say you want another job more - what is the point of interviewing in the first place if you're going to say something like that? The Rooneys wisely wanted to go in a different direction, and it had nothing to do with their being "cheap." I think it has something to do with the fact that maybe the Rooneys know a bit more about this stuff than you or I do. :rolleyes: I think you'd be well advised to get off of Grimm's jock - he was actually my first choice too, but he didn't get the job, and I've moved on - you should too.

Atlanta Dan
01-13-2008, 12:53 PM

Cannot go along wit the Grimm love

Grimm thought he had the Steelers HC job according to the Trib-Review so it presumably was not $$ that resulted in Tomlin's hire

Grimm is not on any list I saw for HC candidates this off season

The one Cardinals game I watched in full in 2007 other than Steelers-Cards was Browns-Cards, during which I saw numerous motion and holding calls on the Cards OL, which was not humming like a well oiled machine

As for the sacks, the Steelers gave up 47 sacks this regular season and 49 sacks in the 2006 regular season - hard to see much difference there, with Grimm at least having Hartings rather than Mahan to work with at center

BlastFurnace
01-13-2008, 02:17 PM
The only reason to keep Grimm around this season is probably because he is probably still a better Guard than we put out there...even at nearly 50 years old.

shevdog
01-13-2008, 03:05 PM
SteelCityMan786, I totally agree with your assement. I have nothing to add.

d2609j
01-13-2008, 07:06 PM
"Average" or no, this team is at best 6-10 without Ben this year. A week hasn't changed that. As far as 2/3 of the sacks being Ben's fault? I call :bs: on that one, sorry. The OL in it's current incarnation can't pass block, period.

Tomlin won 2 more games with the same outfit that struggled to go 8-8 the year before = progress. Get used to him being around, because he'll be here for a while.

The fact remains that our OL sucked even worse in '06 than this year. Again, if he's such a hot HC prospect, why is it that I still haven't heard Grimm's name mentioned ONCE for any of the slots that have come vacant already? And I'm sorry, I'm calling :bs: on the assertion that he was "up front with other teams that interviewed him about wanting to be the Steelers' HC above all else." What teams? And a cardinal rule of ANY interview (not to mention being just plain common sense) is to not say you want another job more - what is the point of interviewing in the first place if you're going to say something like that? The Rooneys wisely wanted to go in a different direction, and it had nothing to do with their being "cheap." I think it has something to do with the fact that maybe the Rooneys know a bit more about this stuff than you or I do. :rolleyes: I think you'd be well advised to get off of Grimm's jock - he was actually my first choice too, but he didn't get the job, and I've moved on - you should too.

Tomlin won 2 more games with a powder puff schedule. He played 6 teams with a combined 23 wins, He lost to 2 of them, because he was outcoached. (Jets and Cardinals). His schedule consisted of teams that were 116 and 140. Thats the 4th easiest schedule in the league. Without the pats in there its the 2nd easiest, behind the browns. I wouldnt say that is progress. If you think we didnt take a step back this year, especially the last 7 games you fooling yourself.

fansince'76
01-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Tomlin won 2 more games with a powder puff schedule. He played 6 teams with a combined 23 wins, He lost to 2 of them, because he was outcoached. (Jets and Cardinals). His schedule consisted of teams that were 116 and 140. Thats the 4th easiest schedule in the league. Without the pats in there its the 2nd easiest, behind the browns. I wouldnt say that is progress. If you think we didnt take a step back this year, especially the last 7 games you fooling yourself.

Let's see - 2006: 8-8 finish, out of the posteseason hunt by Halloween. 2007: 10-6 finish, AFCN champion, wild-card home game. And please give it a rest with the powderpuff schedule BS. It's the NFL, not the NCAA - there are no "USC vs. Helen Keller School for the Blind" matchups in the NFL. But whatever you say, we took a step backward. I'm sure under Grimm's leadership, we would've gone at least 14-2 with basically a joke for an OL. :coffee:

SteelCityMan786
01-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Let's see - 2006: 8-8 finish, out of the posteseason hunt by Halloween. 2007: 10-6 finish, AFCN champion, wild-card home game. And please give it a rest with the powderpuff schedule BS. It's the NFL, not the NCAA - there are no "USC vs. Helen Keller School for the Blind" matchups in the NFL. But whatever you say, we took a step backward. I'm sure under Grimm's leadership, we would've gone at least 14-2 with basically a joke for an OL. :coffee:

Amen to that. Since when do the NFL Teams decide their schedule? The only 2 games they decide are the ones that are against teams who placed in the same place as they did in the divisions where they will not play all 4 in their division. Only on O-Line though did we take a step back. If they do their job more, we're possibly the team people are talking about possibly going 19-0. Heck even 18-1.

lilyoder6
01-13-2008, 09:24 PM
fansince 76 if USC was playing against the Helen Keller School For The Blind i would have to put my money on the blind school since they had that much rep. to even be able to play against USC, even the NCAA allowing them to play football..

i think we did improve for the most part... willie was on track to win the rushing title.. even tho he had about 4 games that he didn't have 100 yrds.. let alone 50... Ben did a good job.. the line did take a step backwards but theyy'll get better with the young talent that could be coming in

fansince'76
01-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Only on O-Line though did we take a step back. If they do their job more, we're possibly the team people are talking about possibly going 19-0. Heck even 18-1.

That's just it, the OL didn't take a step back - it was just as bad in '06 as it was in '07, and actually allowed even more sacks in '06. Tomlin took over a very flawed team, and it's going to take time to fix the deficiencies. Some people don't have the required patience for this to take place, obviously.

Lord Stiller
01-14-2008, 12:04 PM
That's just it, the OL didn't take a step back - it was just as bad in '06 as it was in '07, and actually allowed even more sacks in '06. Tomlin took over a very flawed team, and it's going to take time to fix the deficiencies. Some people don't have the required patience for this to take place, obviously.

I agree. But who's decision was it to sign Mahan? If it was Tomlin's then shame on him

tony hipchest
01-14-2008, 12:12 PM
But who's decision was it to sign Mahan?

2/3 of the same people whose decision it was to sign duce staley and cedric wilson.

the game of football is not an exact science, as seen by the steelers winning a superbowl with the 2 aformentionned being on the roster.

Lord Stiller
01-14-2008, 12:58 PM
2/3 of the same people whose decision it was to sign duce staley and cedric wilson.

the game of football is not an exact science, as seen by the steelers winning a superbowl with the 2 aformentionned being on the roster.

What's your point?

Staley played 1/2 a game our SB year and Wilson is not that bad.

Mahan was dominated in 17 out of 17 games this year. Mahan had 0 good games. He already nearly got Simms killed in Tampa (literally), its time he sit the bench before Ben or Parker is killed

tony hipchest
01-14-2008, 01:03 PM
What's your point?

the point is, you asked whos decision it was to sigh mayhan and i told you.

simple

Lord Stiller
01-14-2008, 01:24 PM
the point is, you asked whos decision it was to sigh mayhan and i told you.

simple

I'm not sure if he was signed before Tomlin got here or not. Being Tomlin used to coach in Tampa, I was thinking maybe Tomlin pushed for the signing.

get it?

d2609j
01-14-2008, 02:25 PM

You keep saying the steelers would have been 6-10 without Ben as the QB, Im interested to hear what games you think we would have lost without him. Besides 2nd cleveland game, what games did he make the "difference"

fansince'76
01-14-2008, 02:38 PM
You keep saying the steelers would have been 6-10 without Ben as the QB, Im interested to hear what games you think we would have lost without him. Besides 2nd cleveland game, what games did he make the "difference"

1st Ravens game (Willie was shut down cold again), Miami game (running game went nowhere again and Ben was 18/21) Seattle game (110-yard drive on one of the scoring marches and again, Ben went 18/22 in that game - or do you think it was our running game that bailed us out of 3 holding calls?). I'm sure you'll disagree, since you sound like the "Madden XBox" type that only appreciates 400-yard+ games week in, week out, am I right? Couple that with the fact that he got sacked a minimum of 3 times a game (and escaped a lot more sacks than that with his own strength) - Maddox would have broken Carr's record for most sacks in a season if he played behind the OL Ben played behind this year.

d2609j
01-14-2008, 08:01 PM
1st Ravens game (Willie was shut down cold again), Miami game (running game went nowhere again and Ben was 18/21) Seattle game (110-yard drive on one of the scoring marches and again, Ben went 18/22 in that game - or do you think it was our running game that bailed us out of 3 holding calls?). I'm sure you'll disagree, since you sound like the "Madden XBox" type that only appreciates 400-yard+ games week in, week out, am I right? Couple that with the fact that he got sacked a minimum of 3 times a game (and escaped a lot more sacks than that with his own strength) - Maddox would have broken Carr's record for most sacks in a season if he played behind the OL Ben played behind this year.

Your finally right, I do disagree. The defense was the difference in all of the games you listed. Most notably Harrison in the Ravens game, 9 punts and 4- 3 and outs in the seattle game, and well the dolphins game was all about the weather and field position. Your wrong about the Xbox type, I just dont let a "mancrush" blind my view of reality. I give credit where credit is due.

fansince'76
01-14-2008, 08:23 PM
I give credit where credit is due.

No, you don't. But that's cool - I really don't care. I just thank God you're not in the front office because if you were, we would have challenged Miami for the 1st pick in next season's draft. Brilliant analysis of Grimm as potential HC as well. I'm "finally" right? Well, that's one better than you, I guess, because you have been dead wrong from the get-go. Harrison scored 5 TDs in a half? News to me, pal. BTW, I haven't seen a more obvious "XBox type" around here than yourself in quite a while. :rolleyes: