PDA

View Full Version : Sepulveda's last punt of the season...

Mosca
01-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Am I the only one who expected a boomer out of our highly touted 4th round linebacker/kicker? Before the snap I was saying it to MJ; "We neded it here, if ever you want to prove you were worth it Danny Boy, Aussie roll one to the 5 yard line!" And then we get... a low 40 yarder*? WTF? With a 16 yard return??????

I dunno. I wanted to see that Ray Guy award under pressure. The guy is good, but I didn't seen anything that I thought is game changing this year. I wanted to see The Bionic Leg, at least a couple times.

*Gamebook said it was a 40 yarder, I had it as 39.

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Am I the only one who expected a boomer out of our highly touted 4th round linebacker/kicker? Before the snap I was saying it to MJ; "We neded it here, if ever you want to prove you were worth it Danny Boy, Aussie roll one to the 5 yard line!" And then we get... a low 40 yarder*? WTF? With a 16 yard return??????

I dunno. I wanted to see that Ray Guy award under pressure. The guy is good, but I didn't seen anything that I thought is game changing this year. I wanted to see The Bionic Leg, at least a couple times.

*Gamebook said it was a 40 yarder, I had it as 39.

Sep kicked similar punts at the end of the Cleveland game at Heinz and in the OT against the Jets with similarly unfavorable return results ; only a sketchy holding call kept the Browns from taking over around the Steelers 40 on their last drive

Nothing disastrous this season but few game changing punts in crucial situations that justified trading up for a 4th round pick to get Sep.

Part of a draft where the only apparent potential standout based on this year's play is Woodley - not encouraging for a team that has some major holes to fill

MasterOfPuppets
01-06-2008, 01:36 PM
i've been thinkin the same thing all season !!! where the hell were the 55 - 60 yd punts he was rippin off in preseason ? he was pretty good this year in puttin them inside the 20, but i didn't see much of the touted leg strengh. he's looked pretty avg to me. and while were on the subject, what happend to those kickoffs that reed was driving in the endzone at the beginning of the season?

Stlr4ever
01-06-2008, 02:18 PM
That last punt put our defense in an extremely difficult position. I knew it wouldn't take much for the Jags to get into FG position. When they have a big&strong OL and a QB that can run like a RB, the outcome was hardly surprising. Our punter should be ashamed of himself for that sissy type of punt. If anything he should have booted the ball into the end zone. You just can't give the opponent that kind of FP when the game is on the line. We can't blame the Defense; they played their hearts out.

fansince'76
01-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Our punter should be ashamed of himself for that sissy type of punt. If anything he should have booted the ball into the end zone.

An 80-yard+ punt? Right. :toofunny:

SanAntonio'sHomes
01-06-2008, 02:33 PM
My only question to this whole point is why he didnt kick the ball out of bounds. Directional kicking/coffin corner punts have disappeared in the league today. Kicking out of bounds in that situation would have at least saved us the 16yds on the return.

Stlr4ever
01-06-2008, 02:42 PM
An 80-yard+ punt? Right. :toofunny:

Nope, at least 50-55 yards. Sep kicked several short punts. When we are playing a team like the Jags, the last thing we can afford to do is give them good FPs consistently.

Da Steeler Soprano
01-06-2008, 02:53 PM
2 words...Special Teams Every single player on ST is horrible

HometownGal
01-06-2008, 03:01 PM
I think for a rookie punter, Sep did a pretty good job. He finished in the middle of the pack in the NFL with a 42.4 avg and more than half of his punts were downed inside the 20/10 YL's. I thought he had pretty good hang time on the majority of his punts, as well. Unfortunately, with the lackluster play of our ST's, his stats suffered.

OneForTheToe
01-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Well, he has never had a kick blocked in the NFL.:thumbsup:

On another note, I have noticed that his kicks have been shorter the last few weeks. Maybe he has a tired leg? Remember how Ben said his arm turned into a noodle by the end of his rookie year. Next year there will be no need to kick 60 yarders in the preseason - save the leg for when it counts. Still, he has been very good overall - especially with regard to placing the ball inside the 20.

Rhee Rhee
01-06-2008, 03:19 PM
i've been thinkin the same thing all season !!! where the hell were the 55 - 60 yd punts he was rippin off in preseason ? he was pretty good this year in puttin them inside the 20, but i didn't see much of the touted leg strengh. he's looked pretty avg to me. and while were on the subject, what happend to those kickoffs that reed was driving in the endzone at the beginning of the season?

i am in complete agreement his goal should not be getting the ball inside the 20... he's too talented for that... next season he should be consistently getting the ball inside the 10..

HometownGal
01-06-2008, 03:27 PM
i am in complete agreement his goal should not be getting the ball inside the 20... he's too talented for that... next season he should be consistently getting the ball inside the 10..

Well shoot- why don't we go for the gusto here and demand that he put 'em inside the 1? :dang: Yes, he is talented and as I said earlier - for a rookie punter, I thought he did pretty darned good all things considered.

Stillers43
01-06-2008, 03:54 PM
I'm guessing that he hit the rookie wall. He probably has never kicked so much in his life. He needs to build up some more stamina to continue those booming kicks throughout the season.

Mosca
01-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Well shoot- why don't we go for the gusto here and demand that he put 'em inside the 1? :dang: Yes, he is talented and as I said earlier - for a rookie punter, I thought he did pretty darned good all things considered.

HTG, all I wanted was a Steelers' style clutch kick, maybe with that roll that everyone was talking about; something that bounced around and stopped at about the 20 or so. Make the Jags use some downs and some time, give the D more than one set of chances.

fansince'76
01-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Nope, at least 50-55 yards. Sep kicked several short punts. When we are playing a team like the Jags, the last thing we can afford to do is give them good FPs consistently.

Not what you said - you said he should have punted it into the endzone. We were on our own 27 when the punt was made = 73-yard+ punt, as he actually kicked it from about the 20.

SteelCityMan786
01-06-2008, 09:55 PM
I think for a rookie punter, Sep did a pretty good job. He finished in the middle of the pack in the NFL with a 42.4 avg and more than half of his punts were downed inside the 20/10 YL's. I thought he had pretty good hang time on the majority of his punts, as well. Unfortunately, with the lackluster play of our ST's, his stats suffered.

Definantly. It's unfortunate that it had to happen. But when you have no coverage unit that can not consistantly help you, bad things are going to happen.

DP_Steeler
01-06-2008, 10:03 PM
That last punt put our defense in an extremely difficult position. I knew it wouldn't take much for the Jags to get into FG position. When they have a big&strong OL and a QB that can run like a RB, the outcome was hardly surprising. Our punter should be ashamed of himself for that sissy type of punt. If anything he should have booted the ball into the end zone. You just can't give the opponent that kind of FP when the game is on the line. We can't blame the Defense; they played their hearts out.

An injury-riddled defense played as well as you can expect, but if you give the ball to Jacksonville at their 49 with about 2:30 to go, and all the weapons they posses, you are bound to get scored on.

CargoJon
01-06-2008, 10:03 PM
2 words...Special Teams Every single player on ST is horrible

Except Jeff Reed - dude only missed 2 FG's all year. One was like a 65 yarder right before halftime, the other was in that muck awful rain bowl Dolphins game....

Lord Stiller
01-06-2008, 10:06 PM
I complained about Sepulveda half way through the season and everyone yelled at me

PINDEL1
01-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Dan got his butt kicked by the punter who was drafted ahead of him.
Podlesh had 3 50 yard plus kicks in the game (50, 54,58). << Because of that I think the game stats have is avg kick distance incorrect.

Check this link and here is what you will find. (put http in front of the sentence below to get the link. this forum will not let me add a link here until I have made 25 posts).

://profootballexperts.scout.com/a.z?s=211&p=9&c=12&yr=2007&nid=83&lnid=124&rc=4&pid=88&pg=5

2007 Draft Projected Actual
Podlesh 97 101 << Jags got a small value pick
Sepulveda 222 112 << We traded up for a big time reach

Podlesh is the real deal and he showed it in the game. I have not been impressed with Sepulveda's distance at all this year. He definitely has not demonstrated that he was worth trading up for and he has had plenty of opportunity to show it. I will give him a pass if he has some type of injury. He lost 1 OT game with a line drive kick. What was up with that?????

HometownGal
01-06-2008, 10:35 PM
I complained about Sepulveda half way through the season and everyone yelled at me

Thank you, Lord Stiller. You just proved my point. I think it is blatantly unfair for anyone to judge any player 8 games into the season. Again, for a ROOKIE punter, I don't feel he did all that badly.

fansince'76
01-06-2008, 10:35 PM

You mean this? http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=326054#post326054

I see people disagreeing with you, but yelling at you? I didn't exactly see anybody making any references to a "crack pipe" and "backing away from it." :hunch:

Dynasty
01-07-2008, 02:17 AM
What pisses me off is that since our FO is too damn nice, we missed out on the guy who had the best season of any punter in the NFL (or at least a top 5 one)... We basically negotiated a nice contract for the '9ers so they could sign Andy Lee.

eafratitpm3
01-07-2008, 08:46 AM
Let me chime in here, all in all I didn't think that Sep did all that bad this year but on the other hand in a situation like we were in this past weekend he gets an F+ for that punt. As stated earlier he should have directional kicked it to the OB. In the end though it all comes down to something totally out of his control, the old play to lose theory. If our offense comes out throwing the ball to get a first this thread would not even be necessary. Good Luck Steelers ST's in 08.

DP_Steeler
01-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Just wondering what folks think about Daniel Sepulveda for next year? I know he came with a great record from College, but I can't really remember him really stepping into too many long punts this year. On the last posession against Jacksonville, it would have been great to have a booming kick - case in point ... final minutes of the Indianapolis - SD game ... San Diego was backed into thir own end (very similar to Pittsburgh's field position against Jacksonville). With less than 2 minutes to go, SD's kicker boots it for 66 yds!

fansince'76
01-13-2008, 04:30 PM
How quickly folks forget Gardocki and his 25-yard knuckleballs.

The Duke
01-13-2008, 04:31 PM
dude, don't you remember gardocki?

it was Sep's 1st year, he will continue to improve

Edman
01-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Why am I not surprised that a topic like this would pop up?

Sep is a rookie punting in his first playoff game. Scifries is a proven vet punting in a freaking dome.

DP_Steeler
01-13-2008, 04:32 PM
How quickly folks forget Gardocki and his 25-yard knuckleballs.

Doesn't mean we are that much better off, does it?

ShutDown24
01-13-2008, 04:33 PM
No way, Danny has one year under his belt and made some plays this year. If he could become a little more clutch... That is the only problem I have with him. Plus he is so versatile. What other punter is on the hands team, can throw a nice pass and can be an emergency linebacker? Not many =p

fansince'76
01-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Doesn't mean we are that much better off, does it?

Sep was 2nd in the league in downed punts inside the 20 - we ARE better off. I don't make knee-jerk reactionary posts based on one good punt in a playoff game - I take the full season into account.

HometownGal
01-13-2008, 04:36 PM
This subject has already been beaten into the ground. I'm merging the threads.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=22837

Folks - please do a Search - pretty please with sugar on top - before posting a new thread to see if the topic you are posting about has recently been discussed. Thanks!

DP_Steeler
01-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Why am I not surprised that a topic like this would pop up?

Sep is a rookie punting in his first playoff game. Scifries is a proven vet punting in a freaking dome.

I'm just pointing out that there were more than 12 other punters with better punting averages than Sepulveda (season total), I'm not even looking at the play-offs, poor weather, etc.

The Duke
01-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Sep was 2nd in the league in downed punts inside the 20 - we ARE better off. I don't make knee-jerk reactionary posts based on one good punt in a playoff game - I take the full season into account.

that's the stat I was looking for

I don't think there's a rookie that's done that before

Sep was one of the best punters this year, an will only get better

HometownGal
01-13-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm just pointing out that there were more than 12 other punters with better punting averages than Sepulveda (season total), I'm not even looking at the play-offs, poor weather, etc.

Pssssssst - Sep was a ROOKIE. Damn - you people have such high expectations of first-season players. :dang:

fansince'76
01-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Pssssssst - Sep was a ROOKIE. Damn - you people have such high expectations of first-season players. :dang:

Yeah, they gotta make all-everything first year or they're complete busts, didn't you know that?

DP_Steeler
01-13-2008, 04:42 PM
Wow ... pretty touchy subject ... never imagined punters were that hallowed ...

Punters and kickers are also very expendable ... they come and go all over the place ...

DP_Steeler
01-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Unless you win it all Ithink you should be looking to tweak the team's performance ... of course given the team's recent performance (2007 season) there is plenty of room for tweaaking a 10-6 team ... however punting is not exactly in the "stellar" category" ... agreed though that a lot of it has to do with special teams and the poor downfield coverage we seemed to produce this year.

HometownGal
01-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Quick review here DP. Around here there is a certain crowd that is happy with anythign that is "Better than last year" . I understand that you wish for the best, but "Better than last year " will have to do.

I too wish that Dan had punted better at times this year , btu I do believe he will get better with age and better coverage units.

I too also believe that rookies should come in and contribute at a high level. i don't think all rookies can do this but some on every team should . Somehow ours rarely do??

As I sit and watch the teams in the playoffs this year it strikes me that most of them have a good rookie class that is contributing, btu that could be a whole other thread. Damn I wanted Weddle in the draft.

That is a blatantly unfair comment, NC. Just because some of us around here aren't all gloom and doom 24/7 and nitpicking at every little thing we can find doesn't mean we are blind, deaf and dumb as far as seeing some of the problems that the Steelers have, one of which certainly is NOT at the punting position. :banging:

DP_Steeler
01-13-2008, 05:10 PM
I wouldn't put punting as a top-priority, but being 18th out of 32 teams in punting yardage isn't exactly great and is certainly worth exploring options. Unless you are NE and can score pretty much from any starting point on the field, you need a good punter to get you out of poor field position or ensure you maintain current position.

Preacher
01-13-2008, 05:17 PM
This subject has already been beaten into the ground. I'm merging the threads.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=22837

Folks - please do a Search - pretty please with sugar on top - before posting a new thread to see if the topic you are posting about has recently been discussed. Thanks!

... Especially when discussing HTG's future boyfriend!!!

Right HTG! :wink02:

Seriously people. Sep puts the ball inside the twenty. He has the ABILITY to boom punts, but can not because 1. He doesn't have the time (There were a NUMBER of punts that were close to being blocked). 2. You never want to out kick your coverage... and that is easy with our coverage right now.

The Duke
01-13-2008, 05:34 PM
I'll give you a example. Are you watching the giants game? Jeff Feagles( their 42 year old punter) is 31st in league average per put, yet he downs them inside the 20, just like Sep

I do wish Sep had boomed that last put against the jags, but hey it happens, and again he's a rookie

Let's give the kid more time before we judge him

Oh, and btw, Sep has only 2 touchbacks, a league low

fansince'76
01-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Another quick review here, DP - there is another faction here that bitches and moans and knee-jerks about everything if the team doesn't go 16-0 and bring the Lombardi home every year. And even if they did, they'd still find something to bitch and moan and knee-jerk about. We know them as the "glass is always half empty" crowd.

HometownGal
01-13-2008, 05:57 PM
We know them as the "glass is always half empty" crowd.

Or the "what have you done for me lately" crowd. Very sad.

P.S. Preacher - Sep is young enough to be my son - LOL! I don't rob cradles. :wink02:

Preacher
01-13-2008, 06:00 PM
Or the "what have you done for me lately" crowd. Very sad.

P.S. Preacher - Sep is young enough to be my son - LOL! I don't rob cradles. :wink02:

:sofunny::sofunny:

HometownGal
01-13-2008, 06:05 PM
I wouldn't put punting as a top-priority, but being 18th out of 32 teams in punting yardage isn't exactly great and is certainly worth exploring options.

At the risk of sounding redundant . . .

Sep is a ROOKIE. :banging:

Hey - mayble you should show up at camp this season and give Sep a run for his money. Who knows - you could be ranked 17th in your first season. :thumbsup:

Preacher
01-13-2008, 07:12 PM
At the risk of sounding redundant . . .

Sep is a ROOKIE. :banging:

Hey - mayble you should show up at camp this season and give Sep a run for his money. Who knows - you could be ranked 17th in your first season. :thumbsup:

:sofunny:

Why? It is so much easier to criticize!

I always have to laugh at things like rankings. Who cares how far he kicks the ball on average... I care about how many times he puts the ball down inside the twenty. A distance punt is nice... but only if you have the players to cover the punt.

Blitzburgh_Fever
01-13-2008, 08:10 PM
You guys...are missing something.

(edit: some people got it, perhaps I was overly critical :smile:)

Remember when Sepulveda was booming them all over the place? Remember when Reed was driving them to the 5 and below? It happened to be the second Browns game we stopped doing that, with good reason.

Our coverage is terrible. I don't buy the "their legs got tired" reasoning (though more than valid, and especially applicable in Sepulveda's case, this seemed a coaching decision). Reed/Sepulveda started booting them about 5-10 yards shorter and giving it a lot more hang time after the Cribbs disaster where we had 3+ guys make diving tackles and miss. So yeah, his average is 42.whatever. It's also 42.whatever with 10 guys waiting for it to land. There's no stat for that. I'll take a punt to the 20.1 yard line that gets returned to the 22 than a punt to the 5 that gets taken out to the 35. This happens more than you'd think...an incredibly long kick with no coverage rarely works out.

I'm happy with our pick.

Stlrs4Life
01-13-2008, 08:44 PM
I think he was a disappointment this year. He didn't impress me at all.

lilyoder6
01-13-2008, 09:18 PM
i agree with blitzburg fever that they did starting kicking it higher so it would allow or players to get to the ball quicker b4 the returner catches it

Preacher
01-14-2008, 04:43 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to hit sore spot. I didn't say you needed to be doom and gloom, but there are some here that seem to not be able find any fault with this team.
The constant at least were not 8-8 and a trainwreck. At least it's better than last year, is no better than the constant wanting to fire this coach or cut this guy crap.

This team needs to get a LOT better before next seaonor we will be looking at a losing season adn having this forum overrun with Browns fans celebrating in our misery.

I was with you right up until this last line. I have been pointing out our faults where I see them. However, I choose to point out the good as well. I don't think we have to get A LOT better. We have 2 key areas we must improve in. Our O line has to butch up fast, and our ST's. Our defense played well until the end. I think that was more a conditioning/age issue, which is going to be solved in the offseason with younger players at that position.

Yes, we have a much tougher schedule. But we have the ability to play it well. Furthermore, most of the teams in our division play over half of the teams on our schedule anyway. So things will even out.

I'm a pretty optimistic person, who at times gets quite upset by bad losses. As someone stated in another thread FAN is short for fanatic so don't be surprised if losing gets me down.

Everyone experiences a let down when their team loses. I am usually affected for about an hour afterwards. Then I remember, it has absolutely no affect on my personal life, nor do I suffer the effects of the loss. What gets some of us, is the people who come in here... and immediately go to work ripping up this guy and that guy, sounding as if they are God's gift of wisdom to the football world, when all they really are... are couch potato coaches... just like I am. THAT kind of negativity is hurtful to a fanbase... it is hurtful to a community (such as this board is), and frankly, it is hurtful to a persons own psyche. It drives off other people from wanting to post around here. I can understand being ticked... I can understand questioning calls... What I can't understand is the all or nothing thinking.

I don't believe Dan is a problem, the coverage units are the problem.

Absolutely. I would like to see how much time Sep has to get the punts off as well, and how much time he takes... there may be an issue there that can be fixed, either the blocking may be bad making Sep. rush, or maybe Sep is taking an extra second or two of wasted movement,. which is allowing teams to get in and almost block him. Either way, i have seen too many close calls this year.

But hey, OUR PUNTER HAS NEVER BEEN BLOCKED! :sofunny: