PDA

View Full Version : Near Earth Asteroid

Borski
01-06-2008, 01:50 PM
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=2007%20TU24;orb=1

Fast forward the trajectory to January 28th and tell me what you think...kinda a close call

Borski
01-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Ok no body seems to be replying, but I think its interesting that an Asteroid is coming this close to earth and nobody seems to be talking about it.

The Duke
01-06-2008, 09:59 PM
that's interesting. maybe not now or some time soon, but an asteroid like that could come very close.

how did you find this anyway?

GBMelBlount
01-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Ok no body seems to be replying, but I think its interesting that an Asteroid is coming this close to earth and nobody seems to be talking about it.

My wife came running into the room today excited because "Armageddon" is on HD DVD. She loves the "holy crap we're gonna die" movies. Statistically, that is amazing.
How big is this thing & what would happen if something this size hit the middle east?.......oh sorry, I meant the earth.

Borski
01-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Its 1/4th mile wide, I belive thats the same size as the chunk that hif the atlantic in the movie "Deep Impact" (which is only a movie, but I'll assume they did some research) if it its the ocean it will cause huge tusnimis that would completely destroy and coastal city. if it hits the middle east....I have no Idea, But I'd be willing to bet there wont be anymore Bin Ladin

Borski
01-06-2008, 10:22 PM
that's interesting. maybe not now or some time soon, but an asteroid like that could come very close.

how did you find this anyway?

I heard a rumor on the internet and didn't believe a word of it, but I googled it anyway and found this NASA site that shows the orbit and how close it is to earth.

GBMelBlount
01-06-2008, 10:31 PM
I heard a rumor on the internet and didn't believe a word of it, but I googled it anyway and found this NASA site that shows the orbit and how close it is to earth.

Unbelievable. I would've thunk this would've been all over the news.

Borski
01-06-2008, 10:50 PM

Me too, thats what most surprised me.

Preacher
01-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Just over 600,000 KM away!

steelers2685
01-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Wow. They wouldn't let this out anyways because it would just cause panic since the media would turn it all around, you know that! haha

IIsn't there one due to get real close in 2036 as well?

TheMightyEx
01-06-2008, 11:41 PM

So how would you spend your last days once the government fessed up that our demise was imminent?

I'd get really wasted and probably steal a fighter jet for some joyriding.

Borski
01-06-2008, 11:45 PM
So how would you spend your last days once the government fessed up that our demise was imminent?

I'd get really wasted and probably steal a fighter jet for some joyriding.

Eh, I'd just book it pedal to the medal from FL to PA and maybe have some cops tail me on the way and hang out with alot of my friends I haven't seen in a while....not as exciting as yours, but enjoyable to me.

ya know, we could steal a space shuttle and head up to the ISS and wait a couple months to see is its safe to return to earth.

TheMightyEx
01-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Eh, I'd just book it pedal to the medal from FL to PA and maybe have some cops tail me on the way and hang out with alot of my friends I haven't seen in a while....not as exciting as yours, but enjoyable to me.

ya know, we could steal a space shuttle and head up to the ISS and wait a couple months to see is its safe to return to earth.

You think the cops would be interested in chasing you down the highway? They'd be in the middle of the orgy/mass rape that Central Park would turn into.

Friend of mine once remarked that he'd hole up and hope to ride it out like in the Cold War days. Id imagine if you survived the rapid shock of anarchy before the hit and the nuke winter after you could do alright.

One of those global ice age types and you're kind of screwed unless you live in just the right place.

The Duke
01-06-2008, 11:53 PM

that's what I was thinking

thanks for this info Borski :cheers:

now if anything happens we can always say" Borski was right!"

TheMightyEx
01-07-2008, 12:01 AM
now if anything happens we can always say" Borski was right!"

More like ":jawdrop: Borski was ri.....!"

Right?

X-Terminator
01-07-2008, 12:05 AM
This thing is supposed to pass at more than 3x the Earth-Moon distance, which is pretty damn close, but is NOT a threat. If it were to get any closer than that, you can bet there would be worldwide reports on it. The media would NOT suppress it.

TheMightyEx
01-07-2008, 12:42 AM
This thing is supposed to pass at more than 3x the Earth-Moon distance, which is pretty damn close, but is NOT a threat. If it were to get any closer than that, you can bet there would be worldwide reports on it. The media would NOT suppress it.

Wonder if it will be visible from earth?

Borski
01-09-2008, 11:50 PM
Wonder if it will be visible from earth?

I found this that shows where it will be in the sky and at what time

http://www.webtreatz.com/2007TU24.jpg

Borski
01-10-2008, 12:08 AM
I just did some math.....ugh

the Asteroid will come within 0.0038 AU that translates into about 353,232 miles
the Moons distance is 0.0027 AU from earth, that translates into 250,980 miles

so the Asteroid should come within 102,252 miles of the moons orbit

Borski
01-10-2008, 12:57 AM
BTW - I just sent an email to PG and to Fox News, so if either of them do a report in the next few days about it, it might be because of me :smile:

The Duke
01-10-2008, 01:19 AM
That's pretty darn close. Hopefully I'll be able to see something

BTW - I just sent an email to PG and to Fox News, so if either of them do a report in the next few days about it, it might be because of me :smile:

good idea. would be good if you send it to yahoo too. maybe it'll even appear on yahoo's homepage as the top news

I still find it amazing that I searched on google and yahoo and I found almost nothing about it.

some people did create a forum about it though, lol
http://www.tu24.org/forums/

Borski
01-10-2008, 02:11 AM
That's pretty darn close. Hopefully I'll be able to see something

good idea. would be good if you send it to yahoo too. maybe it'll even appear on yahoo's homepage as the top news

I still find it amazing that I searched on google and yahoo and I found almost nothing about it.

some people did create a forum about it though, lol
http://www.tu24.org/forums/

I sent it to CNN also, I couldnt figure out how to submit a news tip/article to yahoo. I found some links on the forum you posted

this one (http://echo.jpl.nasa.gov/asteroids/goldstone_asteroid_schedule.html) is a telescope scheduled to view the Asteroid, listing it as "Extremely strong target." (they added the bold)
and this one (http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/lists/Dangerous.html) has it listed as a "Potentially Hazardous Asteroid"

p2hKPY1jJwM

jjpro11
01-10-2008, 02:26 AM
c'mon guys... the news has more important things to cover than this. all i care about is if britney is going to get to keep her babies and if lindsay can stay out of rehab.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
01-10-2008, 08:21 AM
Isn't there another asteroid that is supposed to hit Mars about the same time as this one comes passes?

The Duke
01-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Isn't there another asteroid that is supposed to hit Mars about the same time as this one comes passes?

yes, there is one. but recent reports indicate it is less likely to hit mars. but it will go very close to it.

so everyone in mars can rest for now :toofunny:

Borski
01-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Uhhhh....I just found a new statistic. MOID (Minimum Orbit Intersection Distance) its basically the closest it could possibly get to Earth. The "MOID" of this asteroid is .0012 (
or 111,547 miles away) thats within the orbit of the moon.

Borski
01-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Based off all the info that I found from NASA here is a diagram of how far away it will be (within the red lines)

http://borski88.googlepages.com/TU24.jpg

The Duke
01-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Uhhhh....I just found a new statistic. MOID (Minimum Orbit Intersection Distance) its basically the closest it could possibly get to Earth. The "MOID" of this asteroid is .0012 (
or 111,547 miles away) thats within the orbit of the moon.

that's cool, but what exactly does it mean " the closest it could possibly get to Earth"? is it like the closest it gets without doing any damage?

Borski
01-11-2008, 10:13 PM
that's cool, but what exactly does it mean " the closest it could possibly get to Earth"? is it like the closest it gets without doing any damage?

I guess it means their margin of error. as in they don't think it will get that close, but worst case senerio thats the closest it would get.

sherlock
01-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Borski,what effect would it have on earth if the asteroid hit the moon?

Borski
01-11-2008, 10:57 PM

according to this site http://www.classzone.com/books/earth_science/terc/content/investigations/es2506/es2506page08.cfm

it would hit with the force of more then 3,000 mega tons

Borski
01-11-2008, 11:00 PM
NEW ASTEROID!! I was looking at NASA's site and they found an even closer one

2008 AF3

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=2008%20AF3;orb=1

Its supposed to be Lunar distance from earth on Jan 13th!! Asteroids are starting to make me paranoid now

sherlock
01-11-2008, 11:07 PM

2008 AF3

Its supposed to be Lunar distance from earth on Jan 13th!! Asteroids are starting to make me paranoid now

I thought I was just an NFL dummy!......what do all those numbers mean?

Jan13th.....that`s tomorrow!!!...I managed to work that one out! :sofunny:

The Duke
01-11-2008, 11:25 PM

2008 AF3

damn, another one! and still no reports from the media........

interesting how there could be more of this and we have no idea about it........

so, is this one visible from earth at all?

Borski
01-11-2008, 11:32 PM
damn, another one! and still no reports from the media........

interesting how there could be more of this and we have o idea about it........

so, is this one visible from earth at all?

I have no idea on the new ones size, but if anyone is extremely good at math they may be able to turn all thouse numbers into something.

I'm just gonna have to bookmark this site (http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/ca/) and check if theres any new asteroids at any given time.

I'm no conspiracy theorist but the lack of media coverage is odd in my opinion.

Borski
01-11-2008, 11:38 PM
I thought I was just an NFL dummy!......what do all those numbers mean?

Jan13th.....that`s tomorrow!!!...I managed to work that one out! :sofunny:

Never mind, its a baby asteroid at only 17-37 meters

The Duke
01-11-2008, 11:56 PM
I have no idea on the new ones size, but if anyone is extremely good at math they may be able to turn all thouse numbers into something.

I'm just gonna have to bookmark this site (http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/ca/) and check if theres any new asteroids at any given time.

I'm no conspiracy theorist but the lack of media coverage is odd in my opinion.

very odd indeed

keep us updated if you find anything else

sherlock
01-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Never mind, its a baby asteroid at only 17-37 meters

Mind you that`s big enough if it hits my house!...Just in case,does anyone have Penelope Cruz`s phone number! :sofunny:

Preacher
01-12-2008, 03:03 AM

2008 AF3

Put down the pipe and that paranoia goes away! :wink02:

or does it? :sly:

WAIT... Here they come

:busted::busted::busted::busted::busted::busted:

The Duke
01-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Put down the pipe and that paranoia goes away! :wink02:

or does it? :sly:

WAIT... Here they come

:busted::busted::busted::busted::busted::busted:

no, it doesn't :smoker:

Just one day before January 13th and I'm prepared for the worst :nervous:

let's see if them asteroids can get through me :rocket:

and if everything else fails..... :alcoholic:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-12-2008, 02:51 PM

"I'll tell you what I'd do, man: two chicks at the same time, man." Lawrence from Office Space

Rhee Rhee
01-13-2008, 03:12 AM
She loves the "holy crap we're gonna die" movies.

my father is the same way... haha

Elvis
01-13-2008, 06:23 AM
:coffee:
I think that I can honestly say that this may be the ONLY thread list that I have read everyone's answers and comments. This just blows my mind that the News isnt all over this also... but I garentee that the Government has said... NO... do not say anything unless something happens. Bush had rather worry about finding a reason to bomb someone else..
But this is a Awesome topic Borski....

GBMelBlount
01-13-2008, 07:23 AM
[QUOTE=Elvis;355891]:coffee:
This just blows my mind that the News isnt all over this also... but I garentee that the Government has said... NO... do not say anything unless something happens. Bush had rather worry about finding a reason to bomb someone else..

Thanks Borski, I really enjoyed your thread.

Anyway, that doesn't make sense to me. Why would the media be hush hush about an asteroid that is coming no closer than 111,000 miles to the earth, yet when the government asked the media, for reasons of national security, not to disclose that we were successfully nabbing terrorist rings using the top secret monitoring of banking transactions and phone use, they broke the story?

j-dawg
01-13-2008, 09:35 AM
[QUOTE=Elvis;355891]:coffee:
This just blows my mind that the News isnt all over this also... but I garentee that the Government has said... NO... do not say anything unless something happens. Bush had rather worry about finding a reason to bomb someone else..

Thanks Borski, I really enjoyed your thread.

Anyway, that doesn't make sense to me. Why would the media be hush hush about an asteroid that is coming no closer than 111,000 miles to the earth, yet when the government asked the media, for reasons of national security, not to disclose that we were successfully nabbing terrorist rings using the top secret monitoring of banking transactions and phone use, they broke the story?

i'll take a stab at that.. exposing an illegal and unconstitutional program wouldn't cause mass hysteria?

j-dawg
01-13-2008, 09:47 AM

it would be catastrophic if the moons orbit was altered or if the moon was destroyed. earth is dependent on the moon for it's angular movement. (rising tides and seasons for example) earth would not only spin but would wobble on its own axis if the moons counter orbit no longer existed.

sherlock
01-13-2008, 11:47 AM
it would be catastrophic if the moons orbit was altered or if the moon was destroyed. earth is dependent on the moon for it's angular movement. (rising tides and seasons for example) earth would not only spin but would wobble on its own axis if the moons counter orbit no longer existed.

Gulp!!...cheers j-dawg,I knew it would have an effect but not the extent! :cheers:

rbryan
01-13-2008, 11:58 AM
c'mon guys... the news has more important things to cover than this. all i care about is if britney is going to get to keep her babies and if lindsay can stay out of rehab.

Aren't you forgetting the start of American Idol this week? Not to mention the patsies pursuit of perfection.

I'm gonna sell my TV and use the $ to build a bunker in the mountains. lol

MasterOfPuppets
01-13-2008, 12:38 PM
"I'll tell you what I'd do, man: two chicks at the same time, man." Lawrence from Office Space
:thumbsup:.....:chuckle:

GBMelBlount
01-13-2008, 01:36 PM
i'll take a stab at that.. exposing an illegal and unconstitutional program wouldn't cause mass hysteria?

Funny how that works, the media turned the other way countless times when liberal were preseident and did things that were "illegal and unconstitutional" Yet when it comes to national security and protecting our country, the media suddenly takes the high road. If they did that consistently I might buy that. They have an agenda, pure and simple.

GBMelBlount
01-13-2008, 01:43 PM

So you're saying an asteroid that is not going to hit us is going to cause mass hysteria and is being suppressed. Uhhhh, OK.

j-dawg
01-13-2008, 08:41 PM
sure... asteroids are way more scary then silly political stuff...

TroysBadDawg
01-13-2008, 11:46 PM
The next thing I am going to read in this thread, is George W caused the Meteor and that is why the press is suppressing it because if it hits it was his fault. He made it hit the earth and ordered the press not to report on it.

Actually I think the reason the press is not reporting on it is because they have their eyes on 1997 XF11 which is about 1 mile wide, and will pass within 30,000 miles of earth. Hills said an asteroid the size of 1997 XF11 colliding with the Earth at more than 17,000 miles an hour would explode with an energy of about 320,000 megatons of dynamite. That equals almost 2 million Hiroshima-sized atomic bombs.

cnn link (http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9803/11/asteroid/index.html)

I included this just to add to the excitement.

But to actually answer the question why it isn't being reported I will again give a quote, "Marsden said the announcement about the asteroid was meant to alert astronomers, not to frighten the public. "It's not intended to be scary or alarmist," he said. "The Earth as a target is not very big."

Preacher
01-14-2008, 12:25 AM

Funny how that same media group... and politicians were yelling and screaming that protection of the CIA and their agents were SO important during the "Valerie Plame" Joke of a issue.

Hypocrisy is so fun. Its a game we all can play!

The Duke
01-14-2008, 01:29 AM
Actually I think the reason the press is not reporting on it is because they have their eyes on 1997 XF11 which is about 1 mile wide, and will pass within 30,000 miles of earth. Hills said an asteroid the size of 1997 XF11 colliding with the Earth at more than 17,000 miles an hour would explode with an energy of about 320,000 megatons of dynamite. That equals almost 2 million Hiroshima-sized atomic bombs.

I had totally forgotten about that one. now I have to prepare myself for 2 asteroids :toofunny:

but why would the media omit talking about one that is happening this year because they have their minds on one happening in 20 years? makes no sense to me

ok, that one is closer and everything, but that's no reason to not report one that's kinda close in some days.

is no conspiracy theory, just an intrigue

X-Terminator
01-14-2008, 03:56 AM

Yes, but it would take a body much, much larger to do that...something about 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the Moon itself. This asteroid would just leave a pretty big hole in the lunar surface and kick up some dust, and that's about it. However, eventually what you say will eventually happen, because the Moon is moving away from the Earth due to tidal forces slowing the Earth's rotation (by about a millisecond per century) and raising the Moon's orbit by 3.8 cm per year. Eventually, the Moon and Earth will become locked into a synchronous orbit and a day will be 47 current days long. After that, the Moon will leave us, and we'll end up like Mars - wobbling on our axis from 0-90 degrees every few million years or so.

BTW, the opposite effect is happening with Mars' moon Phobos, where tidal interaction is lowering Phobos' orbit, and eventually it will crash into Mars.

Preacher
01-14-2008, 04:01 AM
Yes, but it would take a body much, much larger to do that...something about 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the Moon itself. This asteroid would just leave a pretty big hole in the lunar surface and kick up some dust, and that's about it. However, eventually what you say will eventually happen, because the Moon is moving away from the Earth due to tidal forces slowing the Earth's rotation (by about a millisecond per century) and raising the Moon's orbit by 3.8 cm per year. Eventually, the Moon and Earth will become locked into a synchronous orbit and a day will be 47 current days long. After that, the Moon will leave us, and we'll end up like Mars - wobbling on our axis from 0-90 degrees every few million years or so.

BTW, the opposite effect is happening with Mars' moon Phobos, where tidal interaction is lowering Phobos' orbit, and eventually it will crash into Mars.

That is, of course, if the aliens don't attack first! :wink02:

TroysBadDawg
01-14-2008, 08:01 PM
But you have to remember that Mars has Marvin the Martian and he has his Atomic Discombobulator by Acme so he can stop it from crashing into it. He will discombobulate it. Now if he could just get that peskey little wabbit.

I watch and learn from cartoons. LMAO

Borski
01-16-2008, 12:03 AM
Heres some interesting news articles, about asteroids in general, not TU24

http://www.tu24.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=75

GBMelBlount
01-16-2008, 07:50 AM
Heres some interesting news articles, about asteroids in general, not TU24

http://www.tu24.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=75

I guess that wouldn't surprise me. I wonder if it really could be kept secret or if someone on the "inside" would likely leak it out of a perceived "social obligation."

The Duke
01-16-2008, 11:26 AM
I guess that wouldn't surprise me. I wonder if it really could be kept secret or if someone on the "inside" would likely leak it out of a perceived "social obligation."

I'm pretty sure things like this would be leaked

nothing ever stays hidden, especially something like an asteroid

The Duke
01-24-2008, 03:53 PM
it's finally reported

LOS ANGELES - An asteroid at least 500 feet long will make a rare close pass by Earth next week, but there is no chance of an impact, scientists reported Thursday.
ADVERTISEMENT

The object, known as 2007 TU24, is expected to whiz by Earth on Tuesday with its closest approach at 334,000 miles, or about 1.4 times the distance of Earth to the moon.

The nighttime encounter should be bright enough for medium-sized telescopes to get a glimpse, said Don Yeomans, manager of the Near-Earth Object Program Office at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, which tracks potentially dangerous space rocks.

However, next week's asteroid pass "has no chance of hitting, or affecting, Earth," Yeomans said.

An actual collision of a similar-sized object with Earth occurs on average every 37,000 years.

Spotted last October by the NASA-funded Catalina Sky Survey in Arizona, 2007 TU24 is estimated to be between 500 feet and 2,000 feet long. The next time an asteroid this size will fly this close to Earth will be in 2027.

Scientists plan to point the Goldstone radar telescope in California and the Arecibo radar telescope in Puerto Rico at the asteroid and observe its path before and after its closest approach to Earth. Researchers will use instruments to measure its rotation and composition.

The 2007 TU24 rendezvous comes a day before another asteroid is projected to pass close to Mars.

Scientists have effectively ruled out a collision between the Red Planet and the asteroid 2007 WD5, estimating it will pass at a distance of more than 16,000 miles from the Martian surface. Initial observations of the Mars-bound asteroid put the odds of an impact at 1 in 25, but scientists later dropped the odds to 1 in 10,000.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080124/ap_on_sc/earth_asteroid;_ylt=AkrZltuZZbsKBaYQpOnlo8qs0NUE

Borski
01-24-2008, 07:59 PM
Finally!

GBMelBlount
01-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Spotted last October by the NASA-funded Catalina Sky Survey in Arizona, 2007 TU24 is estimated to be between 500 feet and 2,000 feet long. The next time an asteroid this size will fly this close to Earth will be in 2027.

I wonder if that is true? The next time an asteroid this size is coming this close is in20 years. Yet they only identified this one last October. That doesn't make sense. They must not be able to monitor the entire sky due to budget.

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 09:14 PM
"has no chance of hitting, or affecting, Earth,"

Good to hear. Drinks are on me. :cheers:

Borski
01-24-2008, 09:20 PM

I'll have a pepsi http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/pepsi.gif

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 09:24 PM
I'll have a pepsi http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/pepsi.gif

I'll take one to.

GBMelBlount
01-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Finally!

Great investigative work Borski!

The Duke
01-24-2008, 09:34 PM

thanks dude :alcoholic:

The Duke
01-28-2008, 09:57 PM
bump for January 28th

guess we got lucky this time........

X-Terminator
01-29-2008, 12:15 AM
bump for January 28th

guess we got lucky this time........

For now, anyway :cheers:

When we do finally get hit by an asteroid, thankfully I won't be around to see it, and hopefully mankind has found another rock to live on.