PDA

View Full Version : My take on the season...

revefsreleets
01-06-2008, 07:39 PM
First off, this will piss many, many people off. Too bad.

The season was not as bad as you think. Why? Well, for starters, we have a new head coach, and, since we aren't exactly the Arizona Cardinals, it's kind of a big deal. We also had a new OL coach and a new OC. 9 out of 10 NFL teams go through that transition and they lose 3-5 more games then they did the year before. We won 2 more.

10-6. Playoffs. For almost any other team in the NFL a two game improvement and a playoff trip is a successful season when balanced against the previous years failure. Not in Pittsburgh! Yeah, we are a little greedy, and any season where we don't ultimately hoist a Lombardi seems a little lacking, but, you know, we actually only win one out of every 8 on average, and we DO have 5, and only one other team has that distinction. How many Lombardi trophies are there in Cleveland again?

My point is that you grade the season on a curve. We improved. We won 2 more games. We should have won at least 2 more than that (Jets, Broncs and Cards should have all been victories).

The defense, for the most part, played well and we suffered two HUGE losses in Smith and Clark, and Troy was gimpy too.

The Offense showed some good. We have a horrible OL, yet Willie really produced. Ben really came into his own.

The special teams are awful. We need to play starters next year if there isn't improvement.

Next year we should win 2 more. 12-4. That'll get us a bye and homefield for at least one game. And 12-4 with our schedule next year will be truly amazing.

revefsreleets
01-06-2008, 07:43 PM
And blasting Bruce Arians? Are you KIDDING! He had an awesome gameplan. If we had executed it even moderately well, we'd have beaten the Jags by 14, easy. We passed when we looked like we'd run, Ban ran waggles and bootlegs and got out of the pocket. We ran screens and counters, there were slant passes galore. Arians called a brilliant game, and when there was failure, it was player error and lack of execution.

TackleMeBen
01-06-2008, 07:44 PM
this is going to kill me having to agree with a OSU fan, but you are right. with a rookie hc we made the playoffs and had a good record.

stillers4me
01-06-2008, 07:45 PM
I don't see anything there I don't agree with...........I hope you're right about next year at 12-4, especially with the schedule we'll have.

As Steelers fans, we have higher standards than most other fans. While I'm not unhappy about how the season turned out under a brand new HC, I certainly see much room for improvement, and no reason why it can't happen.

revefsreleets
01-06-2008, 07:54 PM
I had a long two hour ride home, and all we talked about was draft and FA. I think we may be better off than we think in those regards as well, but I can't get into all that now. Suffice to say, we are headed in the right direction.

shevdog
01-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Bruce Arians had an awesome gameplan? You kidding me? Where was the run game????

As for Tomlin's first season, I wasn't sure where we'd end up until the pre-season. I called a 10-6 or 11-5 season this year and was right on. Yet we could have been better and Steelers need to play better ball than they did. Sure, it was an improvement, yet then again in 2004 we were 15-1 and in 2005 we won a Super Bowl. So us Steelers fans do have high expectations. Merited? Maybe yes, maybe no??? No matter, we expected more than this. Just stupid losses all season, even against the Jags twice.

Anyhow, good point revefsreleets.

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2008, 08:35 PM
And blasting Bruce Arians? Are you KIDDING! He had an awesome gameplan. If we had executed it even moderately well, we'd have beaten the Jags by 14, easy. We passed when we looked like we'd run, Ban ran waggles and bootlegs and got out of the pocket. We ran screens and counters, there were slant passes galore. Arians called a brilliant game, and when there was failure, it was player error and lack of execution.

Maybe if they ran the plays in these awesome game plans more often they would execute them better - blaming everything on the employees when the business plan fails is typical bad management bullshit

Every play succeeds on paper - but that is not where the game is played - part of coaching is getting your brilliant plans executed

As for next year, the Steelers are not going 12-4 next season with that schedule

LVSteelersfan
01-06-2008, 08:36 PM
You all have to realize we had a LOT OF INJURIES. I think the Steelers did a GREAT JOB considering how many holes had to be filled all season long. 5 key players on IR is murder. Troy hurt in a lot of games. Hines hurt in a lot of games. Santonio was out for several. Casey Hampton was out. It is hard to overcome those kind of majr injuries and we did well for the most part. Some of the conservative play calling drove me insane and the defense not being able to stop the other team on 3rd and 4th down this year drove me up the wall. But overall, I think the season was a success. The Steelers were in almost every single game except the Pats game even when they played poorly most of the game. The comebacks that Ben engineered were fantastic although we came out on the losing end more than once. I really like this team and look forward to next season IF we get an O-line that can block and fix the STs.

SteelCityMan786
01-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Hey TMB, I'm a Penn State fan, don't you think that's kind of hard for us to? lol.

Anyway, yeah pretty much nothing I can find wrong.

revefsreleets
01-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Maybe if they ran the plays in these awesome game plans more often they would execute them better - blaming everything on the employees when the business plan fails is typical bad management bullshit

Every play succeeds on paper - but that is not where the game is played - part of coaching is getting your brilliant plans executed

As for next year, the Steelers are not going 12-4 next season with that schedule

That's kind of a cop out, Dan. I expected stronger language.

It's fine, though. BA will be back, and the simple fact that we will have at least a little continuity from year to year is something that none of you other offensive guru's have commented on.

Godfather
01-06-2008, 10:08 PM
I agree with you...very good post.

Rhee Rhee
01-06-2008, 10:11 PM
The special teams are awful. We need to play starters next year if there isn't improvement.

well we did play some starters on special teams... ike, james, anthony, i saw deshea once (i think) and both our draft picks played ST... (woodley will start next year and timmons could replace farrior)

Lord Stiller
01-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Next year we should win 2 more. 12-4. That'll get us a bye and homefield for at least one game. And 12-4 with our schedule next year will be truly amazing.

LMAO

You obviously havent seen our schedule next year. We play 2 teams that had losing records this season (Cinci, Ravens)

revefsreleets
01-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Au contraire I think we finish 12-4 with that schedule.

Preacher
01-06-2008, 10:51 PM
LMAO

You obviously havent seen our schedule next year. We play 2 teams that had losing records this season (Cinci, Ravens)

I am going to withhold predictions at this point.

However, outside of O line issues and our LB's looking tired, we put some VERY GOOD things together this year. Also, our HC grew as a coach this year. Just fix a couple things... and we could have an amazing year next year. We have many in place. Just gotta fix that O line.

GBMelBlount
01-06-2008, 11:23 PM
I am going to withhold predictions at this point.

However, outside of O line issues and our LB's looking tired, we put some VERY GOOD things together this year....Just gotta fix that O line.

I think if OL had been better addressed before this past offseason I'd be more comfortable making a prediction. I will be ecstatic with 12-4. I remember last March many SF's complained about how bad OL & ST was, yet it was barely addressed, & this year both we were even worse IMO.

augustashark
01-06-2008, 11:46 PM

During a football game it is impossible to point to one play or action that would change the outcome. I will say that the gameplan (playcalling) on our last drive was just plain bad! When at anypoint in the game showed Arians or Tomlin that we could run the ball 3 straight times and pick up a game winning 1st down!? I will always remember that one drive when I think of Arians during the offseason.

CASTEEL
01-07-2008, 12:04 AM
During a football game it is impossible to point to one play or action that would change the outcome. I will say that the gameplan (playcalling) on our last drive was just plain bad! When at anypoint in the game showed Arians or Tomlin that we could run the ball 3 straight times and pick up a game winning 1st down!? I will always remember that one drive when I think of Arians during the offseason.

This would have to be my biggest question mark - especially a QB Sweep on 3rd and 6 - made absolutely no sense at all given the success Ben and the offense had been having with the short passing game. Sure, anything could have happened (incomplete etc., ), but good god, that was a really really bad series.

With that - I am very happy with the season and very hopeful for the coming years - especially with Ben at the helm and MT as our coach.

Here's to a great off-season!!!

jd2
01-07-2008, 09:21 AM
I agree with what you said, but that 3rd down call made me want to puke. Over all a good season, but here's to a better one next season.

revefsreleets
01-07-2008, 10:08 AM
If the Steelers would have executed on that last drive, none of us would be having this conversation. Steelers football dictates that you have to be able to run the ball in situations like that. It's almost a given that inside their own 40 with time running down and protecting a lead, the Steelers are going to try to line up and ram the ball down your throat, they just lack the personell to do so this year. Go back and watch the last 5 minutes of the Super Bowl. The Steelers lines up and ran the Bus over and over again, not hiding at all what they were doing and daring the Seahawks to stop them. That's the difference between this team and that one, and why this team was one and done, and that team took home the Lombardi.

The_WARDen
01-07-2008, 11:11 AM
First off, this will piss many, many people off. Too bad.

The season was not as bad as you think. Why? Well, for starters, we have a new head coach, and, since we aren't exactly the Arizona Cardinals, it's kind of a big deal. We also had a new OL coach and a new OC. 9 out of 10 NFL teams go through that transition and they lose 3-5 more games then they did the year before. We won 2 more.

10-6. Playoffs. For almost any other team in the NFL a two game improvement and a playoff trip is a successful season when balanced against the previous years failure. Not in Pittsburgh! Yeah, we are a little greedy, and any season where we don't ultimately hoist a Lombardi seems a little lacking, but, you know, we actually only win one out of every 8 on average, and we DO have 5, and only one other team has that distinction. How many Lombardi trophies are there in Cleveland again?

My point is that you grade the season on a curve. We improved. We won 2 more games. We should have won at least 2 more than that (Jets, Broncs and Cards should have all been victories).

The defense, for the most part, played well and we suffered two HUGE losses in Smith and Clark, and Troy was gimpy too.

The Offense showed some good. We have a horrible OL, yet Willie really produced. Ben really came into his own.

2 problems:

1) Why are you comparing the Steelers to the Clowns?

2) Unless the Oline gets fixed, there will not be 12 wins.

TackleMeBen
01-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Hey TMB, I'm a Penn State fan, don't you think that's kind of hard for us to? lol.

Anyway, yeah pretty much nothing I can find wrong.

i am trying to forget that you are a penn st fan:wink02:.. at least duke won last night in basketball..

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2008, 10:26 PM
That's kind of a cop out, Dan. I expected stronger language.

Check some of my other posts today if you are looking for stronger language:smile:

Any prediction for next year obviously is guess work, but I was wondering where you come up with 12 wins with a schedule next year that includes the other 5 AFC playoff teams this year + the NFC East teams.

revefsreleets
01-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Easy. The offensive line is the most prominent problem and will be addressed. The Steelers will add a couple key free agents, make a couple good moves in the draft, build on momentum and improve next year. They have a very solid core of players and only need tweaking to get to where they need to be.

Atlanta Dan
01-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Easy. The offensive line is the most prominent problem and will be addressed. The Steelers will add a couple key free agents, make a couple good moves in the draft, build on momentum and improve next year. They have a very solid core of players and only need tweaking to get to where they need to be.

But this year's schedule to next year's schedule is like moving from playing the ACC (i resisted the temptation to substitute the Big Ten for the ACC here:smile:) to the SEC in football - the team can improve but have a much worse record as its steps up in class.

In addition to the six division games, the Steelers get the 2 best divisions this year - NFC East (Dallas, Giants, Redskins, Eagles) & AFC South (Colts, Jax, Tennessee, and an improving Houston team) - the Chargers & the Pats:jawdrop:

I suppose Brady could get arrested on a morals charge and Peyton become an alcoholic in the offseason, but I do not see 7-1 at home or 5-3 on the road with that lineup.

Rotorhead
01-08-2008, 11:18 AM
I am certainly happy for the season as a whole. I do feel we could have been alot better record-wise and certainly we have the talent to push for the lombardy, which is probably why I feel a little let down. I certainly hope Arians grows as an OC this offseason. I think he has some good ideas about the offense, what I really dislike is his inability to adjust his gameplan on the fly, and even during halftime most of the time. It is probably just something all the coaching staff needs to adjust to, so I will look forward to next season.

revefsreleets
01-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Good teams always drop off from year to year, and go through slumps. Look at the Bears from last year to this year. San Diego was a pushover early in the season and got a lot better. The ravens looked like a team to fear preseason, and they ended up winning 5 games. It might also actually do the Steelers good to play a harder schedule, as they clearly took whole weeks off this year (Cards, Jets, Broncos). I think they are a few players and another year under consistent coaching away from returning to elite status.

sherlock
01-10-2008, 01:19 AM
This was my first ever season of following the Steelers and the NFL and I found it a truly amazing experience!
Who would have thought that at 44 yrs I`ve found a new sporting obsession in life :helmet:....I only wish it had started 20 years ago.
It`s all to new and confusing at the moment to offer any meaningful insight into the season( I`ll leave that to you guys) so I`ll just say thanks Steelers,thanks NFL and thank you Steelers fans everywhere.:cheers:
Only 8 months till the next season!:dang:

CASTEEL
01-10-2008, 01:50 AM
This was my first ever season of following the Steelers and the NFL and I found it a truly amazing experience!
Who would have thought that at 44 yrs I`ve found a new sporting obsession in life :helmet:....I only wish it had started 20 years ago.
It`s all to new and confusing at the moment to offer any meaningful insight into the season( I`ll leave that to you guys) so I`ll just say thanks Steelers,thanks NFL and thank you Steelers fans everywhere.:cheers:
Only 8 months till the next season!:dang:

Welcome to the Steelers family!!!

The more the merry eh! :)