PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Post Game Report on the Steelers

BlastFurnace
01-06-2008, 06:55 PM
http://depaoli.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com-a.googlepages.com/nflquickhits

jjpro11
01-06-2008, 06:57 PM
ahh shit.. that last little bit scares me.

TheMightyEx
01-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Whats the take on Kiffin around the NFL? I thought he was former head coaching material whose luster has faded.

revefsreleets
01-06-2008, 07:02 PM
I buy all that completely. Essex impressed last night. With more reps, he could be good. Starks played well at LT. Colon probably could be a guard. Woodley was a monster last night, and I hope Timmons follows suit.

If LeBeau retires, why would Tomlin do anything OTHER than a Tampa 2? Hopefully he learned from DL and incorporates some kind of hybrid defense.

The ST coach fired? Really? I think they could take him out in the street and shoot him and they wouldn't be able to find a jury in the Burgh that would convict.

jjpro11
01-06-2008, 07:03 PM
whats with the little blurb on the right side of the page that i just noticed calling out hines ward?

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Mahan came from Tampa. The Steelers conditioning coach this year, an injury plagued season in which the team appeared to wear out by the end of the season, came from Tampa. The Bucs got waxed by the Giants today.

Let's bring in someone else from Tampa- I could not be more excited.:dang:

Of course another rumor is Raiders kid coach Lane Kiffin may hire his dad if Rob Ryan gets axed as DC in Oakland

http://www.mercurynews.com/raiders/ci_7879374?nclick_check=1

The Duke
01-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Funny, right after Tomlin was hired I thought he might bring Kiffin with him. Then I realized that was a crazy thought. maybe is not too crazy now

would be interesting to have him though

jjpro11
01-06-2008, 08:08 PM
kiffin is only about 2 years younger than lebeau.

Lord Stiller
01-06-2008, 08:48 PM
All good news IMO

Funny how our best offensive lineman was on the bench most of the season (Starks)

Getting rid of Mahan is priority #1

Lord Stiller
01-06-2008, 08:50 PM
whats with the little blurb on the right side of the page that i just noticed calling out hines ward?

Yeah, i don't get it???????????

Rhee Rhee
01-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Mahan came from Tampa. The Steelers conditioning coach this year, an injury plagued season in which the team appeared to wear out by the end of the season, came from Tampa. The Bucs got waxed by the Giants today.

Let's bring in someone else from Tampa- I could not be more excited.:dang:

Of course another rumor is Raiders kid coach Lane Kiffin may hire his dad if Rob Ryan gets axed as DC in Oakland

http://www.mercurynews.com/raiders/ci_7879374?nclick_check=1

funny stuff atlanta!

if lebeau retires i'd much rather see a DC which plays a base 3-4... rex ryan... ex-raven sounds good to me... he's creative and the defensive talent that has gone through the ravens organization has been darned impressive..

stillers4me
01-06-2008, 09:11 PM
As far as LeBeau is concerned, we all knew it was going to happen some day soon.

klick81
01-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Sad to say, but Lebeau ain't getting any younger. The Tampa stuff scares me...and yeah, i don't know what's up with the Hines Ward comment there (???).

TheMightyEx
01-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Tomlins choice of a DC reflects on his view of the whole team IMO. A 4-3 guy means that Tomlin thinks we're a few years away and wants to build his program. a 3-4 guy means we're ready to win now.

I would look for the rebuilding to start whenever Hines retires (prob around the time Parkers contract is up). If we havent won another by then, thats when I would worry.

TheMightyEx
01-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Sad to say, but Lebeau ain't getting any younger. The Tampa stuff scares me...and yeah, i don't know what's up with the Hines Ward comment there (???).

I don't think I want a guy from the storied Tampa franchise coming in to make us a contender...:yawn:

Of course NE got Bellicheat from the Browns and thats worked out great, so what do I know?

jjpro11
01-06-2008, 11:53 PM
I don't think I want a guy from the storied Tampa franchise coming in to make us a contender...:yawn:

Of course NE got Bellicheat from the Browns and thats worked out great, so what do I know?

yeah.. but kiffin is like 67 himself and his done his time in the league already.. whats the point of getting someone else who is probably just a few years away from retiring as well?

OneForTheToe
01-07-2008, 12:20 AM
yeah.. but kiffin is like 67 himself and his done his time in the league already.. whats the point of getting someone else who is probably just a few years away from retiring as well?

True, but if you get a younger guy like Ryan, and he is successful, you lose him in a couple of years to another team as their head coach. Personally, I'm still hoping Dick will stick around for a few more seasons. Hell, he don't lokk a day over 60.

augustashark
01-07-2008, 12:40 AM
Bill Cowher would make a good DC. Would'nt you think?

TheMightyEx
01-07-2008, 12:41 AM
I dont know about DCs but could we get Greg Lloyd as LB coach?

Preacher
01-07-2008, 02:22 AM
Bill Cowher would make a good DC. Would'nt you think?

Yeah... but it would cause WAY too much disruption on the team.

Preacher
01-07-2008, 02:30 AM

I just wonder if it is a editing error...

As it stands...

"Ben is our leader, he's always going to be our leader. I'll ride or die with him any day," right tackle Willie Colon (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=7880) said in a subdued Steelers locker room, one filled with disappointment but no screaming or angry words. "He's tremendous and I love him to death and he led us back."
Those are words you will never hear from Hines Ward

Maybe as it was MEANT to be?

"Ben is our leader, he's always going to be our leader. I'll ride or die with him any day," right tackle Willie Colon (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=7880) said in a subdued Steelers locker room, one filled with disappointment but no screaming or angry words.
Those are words you will never hear from Hines Ward [and a quote from Ward here.]

Ward has never called out another player in the press as far as I can remember. Until proven otherwise, I am going to think that it was an editing mistake.

delhess
01-07-2008, 03:03 AM
i'm writing that last hines ward bit off as b.s. if the author meant it the way it sounded, i don't really want to know.

stlrtruck
01-07-2008, 06:29 AM
Whats the take on Kiffin around the NFL? I thought he was former head coaching material whose luster has faded.

The thought process, as far as I can read it, here in Tampa is that Kiffin was thought to be a head coach but turns out to be a man who understands his role in the NFL.

And that, my friend, is that he is not a head coach but instead a defensive guru who understands how to destroy offenses! However, he is also getting up there in age and, IMHO, he looks tired and warn out almost like Lebeau did at the end of the season this year!

Steeldude
01-07-2008, 07:15 AM
"The latest rumors have the Steelers making Starks the teams starting right tackle "

he is a LT. that is where he is comfortable. smith played RT in college.

Counselor
01-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Ward has never called out another player in the press as far as I can remember. Until proven otherwise, I am going to think that it was an editing mistake.

I don't think it was a mistake---that person meant what they said. There are plenty of rumors that Ben and Hines are not very tight---for whatever reason. Whether that is true or not, who knows---but that is a common rumor (and has been attributed as the reason why Ben didn't get the MVP)

CargoJon
01-07-2008, 08:50 AM
If Kiffin doesn't come back to Tampa, there will be about 20 teams looking to pick him up.

I agree with the Rex Ryan bit if DL retires and Ryan doesn't end up with a head coaching gig.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-07-2008, 09:08 AM

If the Rooneys suspect that Lebeau is leaving....they need to look into hireing Rex Ryan before he is grabbed by someone else.
I dont think we can look at the "what ifs" of coaches potentially leaving for head coach jobs in the future...just have to get the best available DC we can.

Edman
01-07-2008, 10:12 AM
It would be fun to bring in Rex Ryan just to see the Rat fans squirm.

He's fielded consistent top 10 Defenses in Baltimore the past few seasons.

The Duke
01-07-2008, 10:14 AM
I don't think it was a mistake---that person meant what they said. There are plenty of rumors that Ben and Hines are not very tight---for whatever reason. Whether that is true or not, who knows---but that is a common rumor (and has been attributed as the reason why Ben didn't get the MVP)

really? I had no idea about those rumors.

I always see Hines and Ben talking in the sidelines and neither seems mad or anything. And they always celebrate together after a TD.

Remember the browns missed kick in heinz field and how Ben and Hines went down to the floor celebrating? that was real funny, and it didn't look like they had a problem with each other.

maybe if it's true it's just a personal thing of the field. but right now I'll take it as an editing error. after all, the media always makes mistakes......

Rotorhead
01-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Rex Ryan would be a great pickup for sure.

SteelerFanInCA
01-07-2008, 10:23 AM
If Lebeau did leave it would be very interesting seeing Rex Ryan sporting the black & gold.

Dino 6 Rings
01-07-2008, 10:34 AM
I think the decision to stay or go is up to Dick himself. I think after a few week's Dick L will decide his heart is still in the game and he'll be on our sidelines again next season.

stlrtruck
01-07-2008, 11:53 AM
It would be fun to bring in Rex Ryan just to see the Rat fans squirm.

He's fielded consistent top 10 Defenses in Baltimore the past few seasons.

Imagine what he could do with talent (LOL)!

The_WARDen
01-07-2008, 12:21 PM

Tampa had the #2 defense this year and they won a SB largely because of that defense so it doesn't worry me that much.

So much for defenses winning championships, the #1 and #2 defenses were both ousted this weekend.