PDA

View Full Version : For the LAST time, Bruce Arians is NOT THE PROBLEM!

revefsreleets
01-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Jesus, people, read more or study up on the game or something! Arians called a brilliant game last night, and if you can't recognize, you don't understand the game of football. The first drive was thing of beauty. They marched right down the field and scored. That set the pace for a clinic on offensive play calling.

Arians ran Ben out of the pocket on boots and waggles. The Steelers ran sprint draws and screen plays. There were 3 step slant plays mixed in with the usual 7 step crossing patterns. They ran out of passing formations and threw out of running formations. The whole play book was open last night, and, had the Steelers executed the plays as they were called, they'd have had a convincing win.

I said this once, and I'll say it again. The 3rd and 7 when Ben ran a boot left was a good play. Tomlin called it (or at least approved it). They worked on it all week, and the Jags had a favorable defense, so the Steelers ran the play. Trai Essex admitted after the game that he was confused about his assignment and he missed the key block.

If you want to pin the whole game on one play, that's fine. But it was Essex that effed up, not Arians.

MasterOfPuppets
01-06-2008, 07:21 PM
I AGREE REVS......myself and a few others here often suggested more 3 step drops, slants,and designed roll outs. minus the 3 picks,which i'm pretty sure none were designed to go to the defenders...:wink02:, ben had a heck of a game ! the jags never stopped the steeler drives, the steelers,stopped the steeler drives. what was bens completion % ??? about 69% ???

Atlanta Dan
01-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Jesus, people, read more or study up on the game or something! Arians called a brilliant game last night, and if you can't recognize, you don't understand the game of football. The first drive was thing of beauty. They marched right down the field and scored. That set the pace for a clinic on offensive play calling.

Arians ran Ben out of the pocket on boots and waggles. The Steelers ran sprint draws and screen plays. There were 3 step slant plays mixed in with the usual 7 step crossing patterns. They ran out of passing formations and threw out of running formations. The whole play book was open last night, and, had the Steelers executed the plays as they were called, they'd have had a convincing win.

I said this once, and I'll say it again. The 3rd and 7 when Ben ran a boot left was a good play. Tomlin called it (or at least approved it). They worked on it all week, and the Jags had a favorable defense, so the Steelers ran the play. Trai Essex admitted after the game that he was confused about his assignment and he missed the key block.

If you want to pin the whole game on one play, that's fine. But it was Essex that effed up, not Arians.

Rev - might you at least consider giving it a rest about about anyone who criticizes Arians not understanding the game of football?

Madden called him out repeatedly for the playcalling last night - Cowher questioned the 3rd and 7 call on CBS today - are you saying Madden and Cowher do not know anything about football?

Every play looks good on paper - had they run that bootleg successfully for at least 5 yards in a game all season? Not quite the same as breaking it big in practice.

I liked the playcalling scheme last night but it was not a flawless game and whoever schemed the last possession up 29-28 had a brain cramp

All hail Bruce Arians:sofunny:

The Duke
01-06-2008, 07:37 PM
sorry Rev, but unfortunately that's not gonna shut up some fans. some of them actually think firing arians is the solution, I guess they think they an do a better job.

and like I said before, they must be new to the steelers not to remember much worse coordinators than Bruce.

some fans just want all at the same time but the simple reality is that it ain't gonna happen. you want a perfect team, jump on the pats bandwagon, it's still pretty early. good luck living with the * though

Arians is a fine O coodinator, he's not the best, but he could coach most teams

X-Terminator
01-06-2008, 07:47 PM
You're wasting your time and your bandwidth, rev. Those who don't like Arians are going to bash him no matter what facts you put in front of them.

PisnNapalm
01-06-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm not sold on Arians yet.

I DO NOT like pass plays in a 2nd or 3rd and goal from the 1 or 2 yard line. WE SHOULD be able to get a good push off the snap and get those 1 or 2 yards. They called those stupid pass plays more than a few times this season.

Anyone here remember that play where they had Hines come across for a hand off and try to score?? The whole freaking world saw it coming and the play failed.

I do not think he's incompetent but I'm not completely sold on him yet.

BlastFurnace
01-06-2008, 08:02 PM

I agree that Arians is not the problem. I still don't like the call on 3rd and 6, but I do not have a problem with Arians as a whole.

revefsreleets
01-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Rev - might you at least consider giving it a rest about about anyone who criticizes Arians not understanding the game of football?

Madden called him out repeatedly for the playcalling last night - Cowher questioned the 3rd and 7 call on CBS today - are you saying Madden and Cowher do not know anything about football?

Every play looks good on paper - had they run that bootleg successfully for at least 5 yards in a game all season? Not quite the same as breaking it big in practice.

I liked the playcalling scheme last night but it was not a flawless game and whoever schemed the last possession up 29-28 had a brain cramp

Did Madden and Cowher make their calls AFTER the press conference, when all was revealed?

Of course not. Look, dude, at the risk of you knee-jerking and putting me on ignore again, you are just wrong. I know it sucks to be wrong, but you're wrong. Unless you are saying that Trai Essex was not at fault on his missed block (that he admitted to after the game) or you are saying that Tomlin did not actually call the play (and he admitted he did after the game), or that the Steelers didn't work on that play all week looking for that defensive set (Again, Tomlin said as much)then you are wrong.

It ain't me you're arguing with this time...

HometownGal
01-06-2008, 09:28 PM
sorry Rev, but unfortunately that's not gonna shut up some fans. some of them actually think firing arians is the solution, I guess they think they an do a better job.

and like I said before, they must be new to the steelers not to remember much worse coordinators than Bruce.

some fans just want all at the same time but the simple reality is that it ain't gonna happen. you want a perfect team, jump on the pats bandwagon, it's still pretty early. good luck living with the * though

Arians is a fine O coodinator, he's not the best, but he could coach most teams

I agree Duke - 100%. When the D has a bad game due to lack of execution, Lebeau gets shellacked. When the O doesn't execute a play properly, Arians is the scapegoat du jour. Both Ben and Tomlin said in their post-game comments that the play in question was the correct call due to what they both saw on the field at that moment, and that's all the confirmation I need. They are the professionals, not us.

IslandSteeler
01-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Whether Tomlin or Arians called that play, I still think that 3rd down call was horrible. The Steelers we getting no where with the run all game. Hines and Miller were catching everything thrown their way and Ben was on fire in the second half. If the steelers were 3rd and 3 fine, but that's a very low percentage play for 3rd and 6 against a strong defensive team.

As for Arians, I don't really mind him overall. I do hate those wr screens, though. I don't think they fit our wrs at all. And I really miss the days of a big back, nothing Arians can do about that though.

FAB802
01-06-2008, 09:47 PM
I frankly don't care who ultimately called that play. Second down running when Najeh and the line got zero all game was just as bad. We had the lead in a game we had no business leading and they took the ball out of Ben's hands after he carved them up the entire second half. It was sackless and cost us the game. The 57 minutes before that are irrelevant if our coaching staff let the players who got us back into the game finish it. They're all gutless.

Cowher dogging him out is comical after all the games he turtled up in and lost.

augustashark
01-07-2008, 01:27 AM
I agree Duke - 100%. When the D has a bad game due to lack of execution, Lebeau gets shellacked. When the O doesn't execute a play properly, Arians is the scapegoat du jour. Both Ben and Tomlin said in their post-game comments that the play in question was the correct call due to what they both saw on the field at that moment, and that's all the confirmation I need. They are the professionals, not us.

HTG, that's just silly. Lebeau is the founder and master of the zone biltz, one of the most respected DC's of all time. Arians is a journeyman OC, that has never proven to be a winner!

I'm not saying fire Arians should be fired, but one more year should tell us if he will cut it or not.

Steeldude
01-07-2008, 01:53 AM
rev, you have stated on here many times that you agree with whatever the coaches do and say. which means you do not have an opinion of your own. i am not saying cut arians. tomlin made the call and i am not saying cut him either. all i am saying is that was a lame call.

the play call was horrible. it had a very low chance of working. IMO, a pass would have been a better option. BR didn't even have an option to pass on that play. the jags' defense was eating up everything against the run.

the play was obvious from the get go. i said to my brother right when they snapped it "oh crap! a QB draw". before the snap i thought it was going to be a 1 yard flop play. if it was further back, like say 12+ yards it would have been an RB draw.

Haiku_Dirtt
01-07-2008, 02:32 AM

I can't say Arians is the problem. Not as big a problem as the offensive line that COWHER left. But could he be a problem? I dunno. Who can coordinate with that dismal protection?

WTF We are talking about players like Essex trying to hold down a team on a mission. The mere fact that the game was still up for grabs at the end is amazing. We could have lost by more

We had a chance to win without a playoff team. Our CORE is gutty gritty and ready to bring STeeler football to the top. The 'ball' is in the Rooney's court now.

But disagreeing with Madden is tricky. God forbid. BUT Madden was praising how well Max Starks played for Marvel Smith.

Galax Steeler
01-07-2008, 03:46 AM
I didn't really care for the call but we can't take it back and I agree with you nc steeler I get nervous every time our special teams are on the field.

Steel Pit
01-07-2008, 05:20 AM
I've been an Arians basher for most of the season but NOT ONCE HAVE I CALLED FOR HIS HEAD! My complaints were in reference to the play-action passes, running from the singleback formation, and the "long to develop" WR routes.

For the most part I liked what I saw Saturday night. They definitely shortened the WR routes, about freaking time, they didn't try any real cute "fake pump, fake handoff, and then try to pass" type of plays. Besides a couple of play calls I think that Arians FINALLY called a good damn game.

I blame this loss SOLELY on Ben Roethlisberger. His 1st interception was thrown behind the WR and into double coverage. His 2nd interception was also thrown into double coverage with this intangible, Holmes was coming back towards Roethlisberger and he was wide the F*#@ open for a minimum of 15 yards, Ben ignored the wide open Holmes and threw over him into double coverage.

I also witnessed Roethlisberger pull up on BOTH of his most crucial runs. The 3 and 7 bootleg and the 2 point attempt after the bull$hit holding call. Ben basically stopped running prior to initial contact. Dude, stick your head in their and DRIVE. This is do or die man!.

stlrtruck
01-07-2008, 06:31 AM
The problem wasn't the play calling last night, it was Ben trying to squeeze the ball downfield for an extra 20 yards rather than taking the underneath guy for 10 or 15 yards at a time.

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2008, 07:35 AM
Did Madden and Cowher make their calls AFTER the press conference, when all was revealed?

Of course not. Look, dude, at the risk of you knee-jerking and putting me on ignore again, you are just wrong. I know it sucks to be wrong, but you're wrong. Unless you are saying that Trai Essex was not at fault on his missed block (that he admitted to after the game) or you are saying that Tomlin did not actually call the play (and he admitted he did after the game), or that the Steelers didn't work on that play all week looking for that defensive set (Again, Tomlin said as much)then you are wrong.

It ain't me you're arguing with this time...

I said whoever schemed the last posession had a brain cramp - if Tomlin called the third and 7 bootleg then shame on him

In response to your contention that it was a briliantly called game, I said it was not a flawlessly called game - Madden was caling out the screens in the red zone that went nowhere during the game and said they should have stuck throwing to Miller & Ward - IMO Madden knows a little more about football than you do, but maybe you have been on some network that I do not receive as a lead analyst for the last 25 years and won a SB as HC that I missed

Have a happy offseason dude as you continue your debating tactic of saying anyone who disagrees with your opinions is not only wrong but ignorant:cheers:

Eztarget
01-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Regardless the last play was idiotic, and the SAFE call.

You THROW the ball on that play and go for the first down. Championship teams DO that. What do you think the Patriots would have done. Brady would have thrown for the first down and salted the game away.

We played NOT to lose and that's exactly what didn't happen.

Counselor
01-07-2008, 08:44 AM
I think Bruce Arians did a great job overall this year. He made some mistakes, but I've heard him acknowledge some of them, so I think he'll learn.

What the BA bashers have to realize is, they are bashing their head on a brick wall. Ben had the best year or his career, and most importantly, Ben really LIKES BA. When the franchise QB likes a coach, performs well under the coach, and the coach gets the offense to put up 24+ points a game---that coach isn't going anywhere.

revefsreleets
01-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Eff Madden. He hates the Steelers. Bashers beware, Arians will be back.

costanza2k1
01-07-2008, 09:28 AM

Madden and Cowher do know something about football, but it's now their jobs to second guess and create drama. That's what people like to hear. If it was Cowher still coaching we probably would have run a RB draw play...bottom line I thought Arians did great this year. Let's see 47 sacks but managed to have a QB set some Team records. It should be a great year next year.

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2008, 09:40 AM
Eff Madden. He hates the Steelers. Bashers beware, Arians will be back.

Well I guess that settles that

Dino 6 Rings
01-07-2008, 10:53 AM
I would like to see a new O-Line coach, especially if we are going to make some changes on the offense, including tackle, gaurd and center. I would like to see a new Special Teams coach, maybe Beemer at Va Tech would like a phone call.

Arians did fine this year, he worked with the tools we had in place, a faster attacking running back, a good top 2 receivers and ok 3rd and 4th receivers and an o-line that didn't allow the PA Pass to work because they couldn't get their blocks right.

He'll be back next season, you don't fire a guy for one bad call (if it was a bad call) when you kept a coach for 14 years that made Draw Play calls on 3rd down in big spots, often.

IA Stiller
01-07-2008, 12:36 PM
To his credit, Arians did cooridinate an offense that turned in franchise records in the passing game and almost produced the NFL's top rusher. I like that he has brought balance, but there are times he makes some bone-headed calls in critical situations or just kills momentum.

I would like to see what he could do with a more consistant O-line before I throw him under the bus.

The Duke
01-07-2008, 01:02 PM
To his credit, Arians did cooridinate an offense that turned in franchise records in the passing game and almost produced the NFL's top rusher. I like that he has brought balance, but there are times he makes some bone-headed calls in critical situations or just kills momentum.

I would like to see what he could do with a more consistant O-line before I throw him under the bus.

and that's exactly why he's not the problem. thank you :cheers:

Rhee Rhee
01-07-2008, 01:44 PM
As for Arians, I don't really mind him overall. I do hate those wr screens, though. I don't think they fit our wrs at all. And I really miss the days of a big back, nothing Arians can do about that though.

ya no.... they fit hines perfectly... maybe not holmes, wilson or washington but they fit hines ward so well that it should be renamed hines screen... thats his staple play and his bread and butter.... if u were to give a screen within the 10 yard line to any reciever in the NFL i'd give it to ward... as for arians first drive was flawless simply amazing... there were some questionable calls that i would have disagreed with especially the 3rd and 6 QB bootleg thingy... but hey at least we didnt call two timeouts in a row... stay positive it was his first season as a steelers OC as it was also tomlins first as a HC :thumbsup:

Sharkissle29
01-07-2008, 01:48 PM
yea the 3rd and 7 was a great call....42 yards of rushing all game, the odds of getting 8 are definitely on our side......

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2008, 03:00 PM
yea the 3rd and 7 was a great call....42 yards of rushing all game, the odds of getting 8 are definitely on our side......

It was simply due to the players not executing that the running plays had only gained 42 yards to that point.

The bootleg apparently was properly executed in practice where I am positive every defender was told Ben was fair game to hit and to sell out to stop Ben if he ran in practice.

It was Essex's fault for missing the block (I guess if he makes the block the posters here who have access to game film see Ben was clearly going to bust the play for 25 yards), Smith's and Starks fault for getting hurt and not being there to make the block Essex missed, and the fault of the Jax defenders for not behaving like the Steelers defenders did when the play was run in practice.

Anyone who criticizes the coaches should be quiet because they do not know anything about football, at least according to those who feel free to express their opinions while having not coached a down in the NFL to my knowledge. This is the best of all football worlds and we are only supposed to give unqualified praise at all times or be accused of "bashing."

Peter King thought it was the worst coaching decision he saw all weekend, but King only covers pro football for a living and is well compensated for it so he obviously is not as qualified to express an opinion as self-proclaimed experts here and is ignorant.

I think of all the coaching decisions this weekend, the one I liked least was this one, in the Steelers-Jags game: Pittsburgh up 29-28, Steelers ball, third-and-six, 2:56 left. Jacksonville has two timeouts left. Both defenses are exhausted. Pittsburgh needs two more first downs to end the game, in essence. So the Steelers call a designed Roethlisberger rollout run left, with a third-string offensive tackle out there.

Third-and-two, I understand. Third-and-six? Ridiculous. By the time Big Ben chugged left, the entire Jag defense was there to greet him. Gain of one. Punt. I don't understand, for the life of me, why an 8-yard curl to Hines Ward or a Santonio Holmes reverse isn't the call. The odds of Roethlisberger making six yards on this play were what? Fifteen percent? Twenty? The Steelers had to punt, and Jacksonville took over at their 49, where the Jags began their game-winning drive. Crazy thing was, they had to try to score slowly to keep the Steelers from having too much time left.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/01/06/wild.card/6.html

All hail the 3rd and 7 call:tt02:

ShutDown24
01-07-2008, 03:03 PM

Yeah... He called one hell of a game! Please... He has been holding this team back all season... RUN - RUN - PASS: You might as well save the $, fire him and just run two singleback counters followed by a 4 - WR Shoutgun set, motion the back out and have everyone run slants... That is what Arians is.

conservativesteelers
01-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Yeah... He called one hell of a game! Please... He has been holding this team back all season... RUN - RUN - PASS: You might as well save the $, fire him and just run two singleback counters followed by a 4 - WR Shoutgun set, motion the back out and have everyone run slants... That is what Arians is.

RUN-RUN-PASS would have been a good thing on that next to last drive on 3rd and 6.

I don't agree with Arians or whomever makes his bonehead non-common sense decisions.. Prayer shot fade patterns and end arounds in corney situations. Running the ball when we throw all over the opposition,etc..

It's kinda like the Cowher idea of bunching up on every runnikng situation and running the ball straight up the middle, but more fancy...

X-Terminator
01-08-2008, 12:03 AM
You guys can bitch and moan until Jesus comes back, and it isn't going to change a thing. Arians will be back next season. So ya just might want to accept it, and move on.

Preacher
01-08-2008, 01:30 AM
Here's what I don't get.

If everyone here is saying they don't know what was called... and everyone here wonders why it was called... and everyone here was expecting something else... then doesn't it make sense to call that play? Since no one expected it?

Who knows.. maybe Essex did blow the block that would have sprung Ben. Maybe not.

I just don't see how going over it and over it a hundred times really makes a difference?

and anyways... I have a problem with the first two plays.

jjpro11
01-08-2008, 02:00 AM
for the record, i think i wr screen to ward or miller may have been the best bet. its a safe play.. you know it wont stop the clock. those two have a far better chance of picking up 6 yards than ben. plus they were both hot in the 4th quarter and picking up chunks of yards with ease. you could even go play action and possibly get one of the dbs to bite, opening up more room.

Crushzilla
01-08-2008, 06:39 AM
I was hoping for the fumbleroski, myself.

It wasn't a BAD call, but let's be honest, the big plays KILLED us and made the scoreboard look like the defense was having a worse game than it really was.

The intention was try and pick up the first down with a safe, but not entirely predictable, play. If it happens to fall short, let the defense do their job.

Unfortunately, the defense wasn't able to step up.

Atlanta Dan
01-08-2008, 06:48 AM
You guys can bitch and moan until Jesus comes back, and it isn't going to change a thing. Arians will be back next season. So ya just might want to accept it, and move on.

Taking that theory to its logcal conclusion, why not shut down the board?

Of couse commenting on the play is not going to change what happened absent someone's ability to breach the time-space continuum and go back in time to tell the coaches to try something else

No player personnel decision or coaching decision is going to be affected by anything posted here - my point is everyone is entitled to an opinion without being called ignorant by someone who disagrees and to my knowledge has no experience playing or coaching in the NFL.

Counselor
01-08-2008, 08:30 AM
I was hoping for the fumbleroski, myself.

It wasn't a BAD call, but let's be honest, the big plays KILLED us and made the scoreboard look like the defense was having a worse game than it really was.

The intention was try and pick up the first down with a safe, but not entirely predictable, play. If it happens to fall short, let the defense do their job.

Unfortunately, the defense wasn't able to step up.

Ding ding ding. We have a winner! I don't think the defense played bad at all---but they did what they did all year---they were unable to make that last stop that the team needed. We should feel comfortable putting the game in their hands once our offense brings us back----but the ST didn't do their job, and the defense just couldn't get it done. WAY too much blame is going to a single play here people. Get over it.

revefsreleets
01-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Here is what I know. Tomlin said it was the right call. Tomlin said it was a play they put in that week, and they put it in for that speccific defense the Jags run. Tomlin said the Steelers did not execute on the play. Again, Tomlin said it was the right call at the right time against the right defense and the Steelers failed to execute. Essex later said that that play was one of two that he will carry with him into the offseason as something he needs to work on because he missed the assignment.

But why so much argument over one play? What about the bad INT's? What about 6 sacks? What about poor special teams? If the Steelers played better all-around football, and executed better in general, that play wouldn't carry as much weight as it does. If a game comes down to one play, then the team did something wrong throughout the course of the other 100 or so other plays they ran. No one play determines any game.

fansince'76
01-08-2008, 08:32 AM
The "3rd-and-6" horse dead yet? :yawn:

TackleMeBen
01-08-2008, 08:38 AM
The "3rd-and-6" horse dead yet? :yawn:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/horse.gif

tony hipchest
01-08-2008, 08:38 AM
The "3rd-and-6" horse dead yet? :yawn:no.

it shoulda been a draw to verron. NOBODY woulda seen that coming...

:chuckle: anyone suprised it wasnt that tired old play from the 90's? (sad thing is it probably woulda worked.)

BozMan
01-08-2008, 03:52 PM
This blog post (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/story/2008/1/8/133947/7967) sums up my thoughts on Arians quite well. Money quote:

It's the OC's job to devise a system and call plays that best use the players' talent while best hiding their weaknesses. I don't think that system is in place. You can argue that OL problems compromised play execution, but you could also argue that Arians failed to react to those weaknesses in his play selection. Like you, I was heartened by the first drive vs. Jax because it looked like Arians would be aggressive and had finally integrated bootlegs and play action into plays that allowed Ben to be under control outside the pocket. Then they disappeared.

Play selection will always be a controversial topic. I won't beat a dead horse by dwelling on the final crucial offensive drive, but it's baffling to me that, on second and five with the season on the line, we would not give Ben two opportunities to make a six-yard pass rather than run two plays behind a third-string OT. It's an indication to me that Arians has more faith in his X's and O's than the players those X's and O's represent. There have been plenty of other examples this year but that was the killer.

I have little to no confidence in Arians doing a better job next year. He's not a young coach. He's been around the league. He was promoted from within and should know the talent on our team. He was more or less forced on Tomlin because of the timing of Tomlin's hiring. Tomlin has had a year to figure out if he can win a championship with this guy, not just have a well-liked offensive caretaker for another year or two.

Yes, execution matters. But the coaching staff has to call plays that best utilize the team's ability and reliability to execute.

With the season on the line, you expect your franchise QB to run the ball for 6 yards after he had been carving up the other team in the air the last 4 drives? With the season on the line, you want to rely on your second-string RB to get you into a short yardage situation after the opposing team had shutdown the run game all night? With the season on the line, you want to rely on your third-string LT to throw a block?

If you are going to lose, you should lose with your best available players being called upon to do what they do best. If you still come up short, then you have to tip your hat to the other team as being better.

Sure, it's possible Arians play calling on that drive may have yielded that critical first down, but how likely? Furthermore, if they did get the first down, it would have been despite Arians play calling, not because of it.

A recurring theme seems to be that Jax would have never expected a QB sweep to the left, so therefore it was a good call. They would have never expected that not because it was such a brilliantly tricky call, but because, in that situation, with the kind of match ups we were facing, the QB sweep had such a low change of succeeding in the first place. Sure, we want to surprise the other team, but not pleasantly so.

There are other examples where Arians' calls failed to utilize the talent he had (fade passes on 2 pt attempts, anyone?), but this season ending one stings the most.

fansince'76
01-08-2008, 05:26 PM
This blog post (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/story/2008/1/8/133947/7967) sums up my thoughts on Arians quite well. Money quote:

It's the OC's job to devise a system and call plays that best use the players' talent while best hiding their weaknesses. I don't think that system is in place. You can argue that OL problems compromised play execution, but you could also argue that Arians failed to react to those weaknesses in his play selection. Like you, I was heartened by the first drive vs. Jax because it looked like Arians would be aggressive and had finally integrated bootlegs and play action into plays that allowed Ben to be under control outside the pocket. Then they disappeared.

Play selection will always be a controversial topic. I won't beat a dead horse by dwelling on the final crucial offensive drive, but it's baffling to me that, on second and five with the season on the line, we would not give Ben two opportunities to make a six-yard pass rather than run two plays behind a third-string OT. It's an indication to me that Arians has more faith in his X's and O's than the players those X's and O's represent. There have been plenty of other examples this year but that was the killer.

I have little to no confidence in Arians doing a better job next year. He's not a young coach. He's been around the league. He was promoted from within and should know the talent on our team. He was more or less forced on Tomlin because of the timing of Tomlin's hiring. Tomlin has had a year to figure out if he can win a championship with this guy, not just have a well-liked offensive caretaker for another year or two.

Another blog calling for Arians' head started by yet another blogger who, unless they're in the FO and their last name is either "Rooney" or "Tomlin," aren't going to get their way. Seen one, seen 'em all. :yawn:

Steeldude
01-08-2008, 06:12 PM
But why so much argument over one play? What about the bad INT's? What about 6 sacks? What about poor special teams? If the Steelers played better all-around football, and executed better in general, that play wouldn't carry as much weight as it does. If a game comes down to one play, then the team did something wrong throughout the course of the other 100 or so other plays they ran. No one play determines any game.

sure there were many other bad plays, but the steelers overcame all of that to get a 1 point lead. you can't overcome a deficit without any time on the clock. the play wouldn't have been as bad if there were 7 or so minutes left on the clock.

why run a 6-yard QB draw with a QB who runs a 4.94 40? no pass options either. the odds of that being successful are very low. especially against a team that has had no problem stopping the run.

one play can determine a game. remember the immaculate reception?

Steeler in Carolina
01-08-2008, 07:23 PM
My only problem with the play-calling was when we got the ball back, the Jags were on their heels and I felt we needed to not be so conservative. I would have like to see pass on either first or second down. However, if they would have thrown 3 incomplete passes, I'm sure I would be complaining that they didn't run the ball.

LVSteelersfan
01-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Only San Diego fires coaches for having good seasons folks. Arians is there for next year. I blame Tyrone Carter for losing this game. I just watched the replay and he missed Jones Drew on that TD he made and totally missed Garrard and let him get 15 more yards on that 4th an 2. He needs to be dropped from the team because SLOW defensive backs do not belong on the team. I don't care how big his biceps are. :) Anthony Smith, despite his short comings, should have been in there on those critical situations.