PDA

View Full Version : Haters on Tomlin?

The Duke
01-07-2008, 01:59 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/polls/default.asp

:jawdrop:

I know it's just a meaningless poll and not many people have voted yet, but I can't believe that after a 10 win season people want Tomlin fired.

just vote to see the results

TheMightyEx
01-07-2008, 02:08 AM
well its an internet poll so someone is probably stuffing the ballot box. MOE on these things has gotta be +/-20%

Dont forget nothing bring out yinzer Idiots more than a tough steelers loss. Unfortunately their language has only four words: koach, qwarterbahk, fahir, and pierogie.

There're only 2 verbs to choose from.

fansince'76
01-07-2008, 02:20 AM
Sadly, I'm not surprised. :shake01:

Preacher
01-07-2008, 02:29 AM

me either. However, I have to admit, I voted average. It was the last few games that pushed it into average.

However, next year, I think it will be much better!!! I have faith in him!

X-Terminator
01-07-2008, 02:49 AM

Neither am I. And someone in another thread wondered why I bash Steelers fans even though I am one? Well, here you go.

Sometimes, things just fall in your lap...

Preacher
01-07-2008, 02:54 AM
Neither am I. And someone in another thread wondered why I bash Steelers fans even though I am one? Well, here you go.

Sometimes, things just fall in your lap...

X-term. I have to ask... did you vote successful or average... or which would you have voted.

It was close for me... I wish there was a middle (pretty good...)

X-Terminator
01-07-2008, 02:57 AM
X-term. I have to ask... did you vote successful or average... or which would you have voted.

It was close for me... I wish there was a middle (pretty good...)

I generally don't vote in silly polls like that, but if I did, I'd vote successful, because I don't go into every season expecting the Steelers to win the Super Bowl, like most of the Yinzers.

Preacher
01-07-2008, 03:05 AM
I generally don't vote in silly polls like that, but if I did, I'd vote successful, because I don't go into every season expecting the Steelers to win the Super Bowl, like most of the Yinzers.

:sofunny: I was impressed with him from the beginning. I love how he motivated this team coming into this Sunday. They played much better... especially the defense, then they did over the last month.

He probably made some rookie errors. However, he did take a 8-8 team with a bad front line and a secondary that was toasted last year, and won the division, and came within a couple minutes of winning the playoff game.

My prediction at the beginning of the year was a couple games into the playoffs. They fell just short.

All in all, I gotta say that he did a pretty decent job, showed a lot of class, and will put a great stamp on this team. Over the next few years, I see no reason why he won't rise to become the same level of coach that his two predecessors were.

I think we are in for another 15 to 20 years of solid Steelers football behind a great head coach.

WV-SteelerFan
01-07-2008, 04:37 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/polls/default.asp
:jawdrop:

I know it's just a meaningless poll and not many people have voted yet, but I can't believe that after a 10 win season people want Tomlin fired.

]just vote to see the results

And it's not just that people want him fired, it's that SO MANY (percentage wise) want him fired...:dang:

Galax Steeler
01-07-2008, 04:53 AM
I have to say I don't see how anyone could want him fired after his first year as a coach leading us into the playoffs his first year after a sorry record last year give it time he will be fine.

stillers4me
01-07-2008, 06:20 AM
What a crock.

Elvis
01-07-2008, 07:20 AM
:coffee:
I think that it is crazy for anyone to think that Tomlin should be fired. I think that maybe he should rethink some of our Coordinators... like Offensive Co. Arians.. and special teams coach and our O Line Coach as well. But Not Tomlin... I voted Successful myself.
:tt02:

stlrtruck
01-07-2008, 07:33 AM
I guess it's a good thing the internet wasn't so popular when Cowher had his first season. He ended 11-5, won the AFC Central, and lost to the bills 24-3 in his first playoff game at home!

Michael Keller
01-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Tomlin is young , has never been a head coach , intelligent, hard working, passionate about the game. I believe he can not be judged FAIRLY as the Steelers coach for at least 2 years and probably 3 years. Specifically the off season indicators of his abilities will be what he does with the Special Teams coaches and offensive play selection and how he evaluates talent. There is clearly in my mind major problems in these areas . I assume he will have significant input into the draft and FA.

At this time I rated his performance as average because he deserves some time but this team's performance was well below average. Somebody has to be responsible. He was lauded by the Rooneys and the coach selection memebers, and even the press as being way better than his actual personal performance was. I thought Cowher's start was more impressive but Cowher was a much easier read than Tomlin because he was so enthusastic and passionate on the sidelines.

For me this is the big question:

If this team played next year's schedule "this year" what do you think the Steeler's record would have been? My answer is not a very good one.

Certainly I am pulling for Tomlin but I am not yet convinced. I will say one thing he will have to GROW in the job and I think he can.but he does need to do a much better job than he did this year.

We all can agree on one thing Steeler fans are not going to be tolerant and in fact they might be down right brutal. It is going to be interesting, beginning even now.

Finally we must regain the Steeler's culture, tough, energetic. playing every play hard. I saw the Steeler culture in the game Saturday night but it was off set by terrible play calling and to be expected , terrible special team's play.

Buzz05
01-07-2008, 08:45 AM
Would these people rather have Russ Grimm as coach?

Personally I like Tomlin. He knows his stuff and the team seems to go to bat for him every week. They play hard. Thats all you can ask. Would they rather have a team with good talent that doesnt show any emotion or play hard...like Cinci...I mean come on people. It was the guys first year. He had a 10 win season. Took us to the playoffs and almost made one fo the best comebacks in recent years with 43 yards rushing and a terrible O-line. Cowher took us to the playoffs the first year and Knoll didnt even sniff the playoffs for a few years. Let the man coach.

He is going to make a mistake here or there. All coaches do. To all the people who want him fired after a 10 win season I say get off the mans back and let him do his job. To everyone else, I say it was a good ride too bad its over.

Counselor
01-07-2008, 09:19 AM
I hate to see people use this. We were one motorcycle accident from another title. Everyone says were bad, but we were palying great (2005 type ) ball down the stretch and were a win or so from being the most dangerous team in the playoffs

Tomlin has done an average job wiht a pretty good group of talented players, he'll get better and someday I hope he is one of the greats. While everyone says it's too early to fire or criticize him too harshly, it is also too early to crown him and pat him on the back too much.

I don't believe for one minute we would have won another title last year with or without the motorcycle accident. Neither the team nor the coach nor the fans were very motivated last year. And if you really think we were playing 2005 caliber down the stretch you didn't watch the Baltimore game at home. pitiful.

The 2005 team played over their heads---got hot at the right time---and had some balls bounce their way, but they were not the winning "machine" we all know and love in NE or Indy.

The current team has talent no doubt, but we're not very deep, and we have a blend of vets who are slowing just a little and young players who are not quite there yet. Add all the injuries down the stretch, and throw out the loss in week 17 (no one played) and it looks to me like Tomlin has done a very admirable to excellent job.

If I recall most people were predicting 8-8 or 6-10 this year, we far exceeded that, and won the division.

One thing I can tell you about this team----and I don't know if its Tomlin or its Ben or a combination of both----but the team this year never quits---no matter how badly their getting beat. And that is something to build the future on.

CargoJon
01-07-2008, 09:42 AM
The one thing that sticks out to me about Tomlin's job this year is Saturday's game. What impressed me is that we were getting our rear ends handed to us...and at half time they made adjustments...and most importantly, didn't let the game get away from them. They came right back in it and kept fighting up until the end.

I can see Steeler's teams in the past letting the game get away from them. Think 2004 AFCCG vs Patriots. Now whether that is a reflection of Ben's maturity or Tomlin's coaching, or both, is hard to prove.

However, for now, I'm drinking the Tomlin kool aid until he gives me a reason not to.

HometownGal
01-07-2008, 10:36 AM
It's a stupid internet poll for God's sake. Do you really think the Rooneys give a rat's ass if some of the fans want Tomlin gone, especially after the guy coached a bruised and battered team to the AFCN crown and 1st round of the playoffs?

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-07-2008, 10:51 AM
me either. However, I have to admit, I voted average. It was the last few games that pushed it into average.

However, next year, I think it will be much better!!! I have faith in him!

That is the thing about these polls...if one of the options is "fire him" then there should only be one other option...."Keep him".

Otherwise you have to add the first two options together which means that 68% of people believe he did good enough to keep his job.

...then as someone else noted....you can probably add 10% for the Steeler haters who know he did a good job but isnt THEIR coach.

klick81
01-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Who cares...but seriously. We got to the playoffs. I guess the only way to keep all fans happy is to win a Superbowl every year. Dumbasses.

Rhee Rhee
01-07-2008, 03:06 PM
i think we've just been spoiled with 15-1 seaons, superbowls and 13-3 seasons... people will come around to tomlin

Edman
01-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Remember, this is still a Cowher-built team with plenty of Cowher players. It may take 5 years tops for Tomlin to put his stamp on the team. That's why I'm glad fans don't run the team and the Rooneys do. They know it's going to take a bit of time.

Tomlin still has quite a bit of learning to do, but give him this: He took a talented team that his predecessor drove into mediocrity and got a heck of a lot out of them. Ben had the best seasons in Steelers QB history for God's sake.

Anyone calling him to be fired has to either insane, or joking on purpose. I'm saddened by the fact that that option surpassed 10%. In fact, it shouldn't be up there at all.

conservativesteelers
01-07-2008, 03:45 PM
he is fine.. He is a good guy.. he will hopefully learn.. But he is no worse than Cowher was.. But sadly his team makes a lot of decisions during critical situations like a Cowher coached team did. Hopefully Tomlin will take charge next year.. He seems to be letting everyone else handle the play calling on both sides all the time.. even special teams. Which is fine in some cases.. but in critical situations he has to help them make common sense decisions based on what I have seen.

Dino 6 Rings
01-07-2008, 03:49 PM
I am very interested in this year's draft choices. To see where his mind is in fixing problems that didn't allow us to go deeper into the playoffs. Great teams upgrade every year. Woodley is a good player, but did we actually upgrade off last season. We brought in a center that wasn't an upgrade over the retired Hartings. We kept the same receiving core, no upgrade. We kept the same secondary, no upgrade. We kept the same depth at running back, finishing the year with Haynes once again on the roster. Najeh isn't good enough to be a 30 carry back for 16 weeks. He just isn't. If he was, he'd be doing it. We upgraded Punter. We thought we had a kick returner, didn't and brought in a Vet to "not fumble". Not really an upgrade, more a safe move. harrison was already on the roster, not really an upgrade for a guy to finally get his shot.

That is what we need to do this season. Upgrade, fix holes but fix them with the right personel and get better, not stay the same. We must improve over all talent and speed and ability and hunger.

conservativesteelers
01-07-2008, 04:17 PM
I am very interested in this year's draft choices. To see where his mind is in fixing problems that didn't allow us to go deeper into the playoffs. Great teams upgrade every year. Woodley is a good player, but did we actually upgrade off last season. We brought in a center that wasn't an upgrade over the retired Hartings. We kept the same receiving core, no upgrade. We kept the same secondary, no upgrade. We kept the same depth at running back, finishing the year with Haynes once again on the roster. Najeh isn't good enough to be a 30 carry back for 16 weeks. He just isn't. If he was, he'd be doing it. We upgraded Punter. We thought we had a kick returner, didn't and brought in a Vet to "not fumble". Not really an upgrade, more a safe move. harrison was already on the roster, not really an upgrade for a guy to finally get his shot.

That is what we need to do this season. Upgrade, fix holes but fix them with the right personel and get better, not stay the same. We must improve over all talent and speed and ability and hunger.

Well for one.. if they want to continue running those stupid prayer shot fade patterns.. then they need to draft a tall receiver with good hands, or get one and not expect him to be here for more than 3 or 4 seasons. I say forget the fade patterns and keep the slot type receivers they have, pocession receivers.. that is the Steelers style anyway... or should be if they want to run the ball and kill the clock.

They need to get good people on the lines, both sides.. so thats were they need to draft. Not only for the running game to get better.. but to keep Ben alive.

Rossum did his job.. you could say he won us a few games based on the previous season were Holmes and Coclocely sp? dropped seemingly every punt or kickoff return costing the Steelers a few games they should have won. Rossum did have a td return against the 9ers'.. more than most Steelers have ever had.. So he did a good job.. he had no were to run most of the time.. he held on to the ball !!!

We should not only draft for position..but start drafting smarter players.. The Patriots do not necessarily draft based on talent or even need.. but smarts.. it's more important than people think based on the hip hop style of football antics some players display these days.

It would be nice to upgrade the secondary.. but the STeelers strength has never been based on a great secondary (zone blitz scheme)... it's getting to the passer that they have lived off of.. Now, it would be a major help to get a shut down corner.. yes.. but those are few and far between and no rookie is going to come in and be a shut down corner were the Steelers are drafting at this upcoming draft. IF so.. then they could go with some man/man coverage and get more pressure by being able to send more people. I dont' see this happening right away.. and it's not a great need right now compared to what they really need is line play and smarter players to help out with special teams.

Phoenixus
01-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Personally I think it's waay too early to judge Tomlin, I personally voted average.

Yes there were some things I saw this year that made me edgy, but the frank truth is, the end of the year Tomlinson was coaching a MASH unit, not a team by that point.

Normally, Cowher teams started slow, played strong during the end of the year stretch and usually won 1 playoff game, then lost the second. Cowher was exceptionally good at playing up the "underdog" role and really knew how to motivate people who, even if they didn't have the best talent in the world, could play far above their actual competence and level. He knew how to motivate his players to play for pride more than anything else.
That is the trademark of Cowher teams.
The flipped side? He wasn't very good at shrinking their egos when they were winning, and inevitably it would take a good ass whoopin for that to happen because they'd play like crap when they got too big. So you could count on an ego deflater at least once a year.

Tomlinson? Well who knows, it's faar too early to tell, about the only thing I've seen so far that red flags for me is that he can't seem to motivate them when they really are the underdogs to play for pride (the Greg Lloyd kind).

Still I can't say he's a bad coach, and it's waay too early to say "fire him". As the next couple years swing through, we will be able to see where his strengths lie, and if he really does truly have what it takes to be the coach of the Steelers.

Right now though, my assessment is "Average" but with an asterisk pending further seasons.

conservativesteelers
01-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Personally I think it's waay too early to judge Tomlin, I personally voted average.

Yes there were some things I saw this year that made me edgy, but the frank truth is, the end of the year Tomlinson was coaching a MASH unit, not a team by that point.

Normally, Cowher teams started slow, played strong during the end of the year stretch and usually won 1 playoff game, then lost the second. Cowher was exceptionally good at playing up the "underdog" role and really knew how to motivate people who, even if they didn't have the best talent in the world, could play far above their actual competence and level. He knew how to motivate his players to play for pride more than anything else.
That is the trademark of Cowher teams.
The flipped side? He wasn't very good at shrinking their egos when they were winning, and inevitably it would take a good ass whoopin for that to happen because they'd play like crap when they got too big. So you could count on an ego deflater at least once a year.

Tomlinson? Well who knows, it's faar too early to tell, about the only thing I've seen so far that red flags for me is that he can't seem to motivate them when they really are the underdogs to play for pride (the Greg Lloyd kind).

Still I can't say he's a bad coach, and it's waay too early to say "fire him". As the next couple years swing through, we will be able to see where his strengths lie, and if he really does truly have what it takes to be the coach of the Steelers.

Right now though, my assessment is "Average" but with an asterisk pending further seasons.

Motivate?? He led a team with a beat up line, etc.,etc.. to almost winning a game when so many were against the steelers winning!!

Tomlinson plays as a running back for San Diego.. not a coach..

My view is that they play a lot like Cowher's team did.. not using common sense when it came to the end of games..

Tomlin is better at using the right personal and going with what works.. not going through an entire season with something that doens't work.. and cutting players that would have worked out.

ie. Quincey Morgon. (Cowher)

Phoenixus
01-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Motivate?? He led a team with a beat up line, etc.,etc.. to almost winning a game when so many were against the steelers winning!!

Well Cowher usually won those types of games, where they'd lose was when everyone was saying "ooo"... "ahhh" look at those Steelers, they're tough.

Those are the ones his teams generally lost. You could almost set your watch by it.

Tomlinson plays as a running back for San Diego.. not a coach..

My view is that they play a lot like Cowher's team did.. not using common sense when it came to the end of games..

Fine... I disagree,

And my assessment... remains... "average".

Tomlin is better at using the right personal and going with what works.. not going through an entire season with something that doens't work.. and cutting players that would have worked out.

ie. Quincey Morgon. (Cowher)

Well then... that may very well be his trademark as the years go by. Cowher was hired to take the strengths that had been the Steelers calling card for years and maintain it. Even I didn't agree with it all the time, but rightly or wrongly it was successful.

But Cowher's strength was Motivation.
Tomlin's we will have to see...

Either way, annointing him as spectacular is as stupid as calling for him to be fired at this point. So quite frankly I don't want to hear that either.

conservativesteelers
01-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Well Cowher usually won those types of games, where they'd lose was when everyone was saying "ooo"... "ahhh" look at those Steelers, they're tough.

Those are the ones his teams generally lost. You could almost set your watch by it.

Fine... I disagree,

And my assessment... remains... "average".

Well then... that may very well be his trademark as the years go by. Cowher was hired to take the strengths that had been the Steelers calling card for years and maintain it. Even I didn't agree with it all the time, but rightly or wrongly it was successful.

But Cowher's strength was Motivation.
Tomlin's we will have to see...

Either way, annointing him as spectacular is as stupid as calling for him to be fired at this point. So quite frankly I don't want to hear that either.

I'm not going to argue.. but while Cowher was sucessful, he was not sucessful in the playoffs. It's quite an accomplishment what he was able to acheive in the REGULAR season. He went away from the conservative game due to Colts being such an unbelieveable uphill battle to beat which helped them win the super bowl ,.. when he realized that he would have to stray away from his conservative ways in the 1st half of both the Denver and Indy games.. and was able to hold on barely to win those.. Yes.. the Denver game was in question for a short while too in the 2nd half since they started trying to hold on to leads.

Tomlin.. I question a lot of what he does. especially his coaches that tell him to challenge this play and that play.. but much of what I question on what Tomlin does I can say the same thing from Cowher. While thinking about that I never question what Belicheat does.. even though he did cheat.. other than cheating that guy knows what he is doing.. and so does his coaching staff.

You disagree that Tomlinson plays as a running back for San Diego??

I agree Tomlin is average for me too.. b/c what I see across the league is average to poor decision making with the exception of very few coaches like Belicheat and Jeff Fisher to name a few.

fansince'76
01-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Tomlin.. I question a lot of what he does. especially his coaches that tell him to challenge this play and that play.. but much of what I question on what Tomlin does I can say the same thing from Cowher. While thinking about that I never question what Belicheat does.. even though he did cheat.. other than cheating that guy knows what he is doing.. and so does his coaching staff..

Please, without Brady, Belichick's tenure in NE is like his tenure in Cleveland all over again. Cowher didn't win more rings because until almost the very end he didn't have the QB to win them, period.

jjpro11
01-07-2008, 04:56 PM
this is tomlin's first REAL offseason.. he has had a full season to assess the team, players, and coaching staff. he has a better grip on the organization and where we are headed. we'll see what he can do to make us better. its really stupid to call for a rookie head coach's head.. its not like he was a head coach anywhere before and we expected something out of him either.

conservativesteelers
01-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Please, without Brady, Belichick's tenure in NE is like his tenure in Cleveland all over again. Cowher didn't win more rings because until almost the very end he didn't have the QB to win them, period.

Oh I agree with you on that.. Brady is what makes that team what they are.. But that doesn't reallly have much to do with Belicheats decision making which is still excellent, along with his staff. Oh, the Pats GM is also smart.. he chooses the right players.. mixture of talent and smarts... no hip hop style players on that team. well with the exception of Moss who has turned for the better.

83-Steelers-43
01-07-2008, 05:00 PM
It's a meaningless poll. I'm not sure it was smart of the PPG to put out that poll the day after a playoff loss in which Tomlin made a questionable call (depending on your view). I would have waited a few days/weeks.

Eitherway, let the narrowminded Steeler fan bashing begin.....

"Steeler fans are ungrateful" being the most popular B.S. rant. :blah::blah::blah:

Phoenixus
01-07-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm not going to argue.. but while Cowher was sucessful, he was not sucessful in the playoffs. It's quite an accomplishment what he was able to acheive in the REGULAR season.

Actually he was successful in the playoffs...

He'd generally win one, then lose one, again you could set your watch by it.
That's pretty successful believe it or not. Majority of coaches are generally one and done. Only very few are better than that.... and only when they are in a Dynasty mode and that always ends.

Tomlin.. I question a lot of what he does. especially his coaches that tell him to challenge this play and that play.. but much of what I question on what Tomlin does I can say the same thing from Cowher.

Well for that I forgive Tomlin at this point, new coach still adjusting...

That said... that's the exact opposite of the knock on Cowher, was that Cowher kept overriding the decisions of his coaches when he really wasn't exactly a strategist (which even I'll agree with), but rather, a motivator.

But again, I talked about this through several posts now.

You disagree that Tomlinson plays as a running back for San Diego??

Look... just because I said some other things in a post that pissed you off... you're making me laugh at pettiness on this one. I can tell you hated what I said... and it really drove a needle into you for some reason... so bringing up a spelling mistake isn't going to work with me...

But it's not going to change my opinion nor is anyone going to take you seriously.

I agree Tomlin is average for me too..

Bingo,
now go back and look at what I really said, basically was that even though there are some things about Tomlin that put me on edge, there's no way anyone should be calling for his head at this point because it's just too early to tell and he was already in the hole because of injuries.

So, you agreed with me in the first place. So why exactly did we have to do this again?

conservativesteelers
01-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Actually he was successful in the playoffs...

He'd generally win one, then lose one, again you could set your watch by it.
That's pretty successful believe it or not. Majority of coaches are generally one and done. Only very few are better than that.... and only when they are in a Dynasty mode and that always ends.

Well for that I forgive Tomlin at this point, new coach still adjusting...

That said... that's the exact opposite of the knock on Cowher, was that Cowher kept overriding the decisions of his coaches when he really wasn't exactly a strategist (which even I'll agree with), but rather, a motivator.

But again, I talked about this through several posts now.

Look... just because I said some other things in a post that pissed you off... you're making me laugh at pettiness on this one. I can tell you hated what I said... and it really drove a needle into you for some reason... so bringing up a spelling mistake isn't going to work with me...

But it's not going to change my opinion nor is anyone going to take you seriously.

Bingo,
now go back and look at what I really said, basically was that even though there are some things about Tomlin that put me on edge, there's no way anyone should be calling for his head at this point because it's just too early to tell and he was already in the hole because of injuries.

So, you agreed with me in the first place. So why exactly did we have to do this again?

My only beef is your view on Cowher.. but a lot of people have your same view about Cowher further shawdowed by the Super Bowl win.. so thats over and done with..

I agree with your view on Tomlin being average.. no point in arguing anymore.

Dino 6 Rings
01-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Tomlin took at team that underachieved last season and got them to perform better. He took a 1st time offensive coordinator and allowed him to break some Franchise passing records. He had as many injuries on his team as many of the non-playoff teams and still got his team to perform well enough to have a shot.

He will become a better coach as time goes on, including getting someone in the review booth to be more clear on the challenge calls, however the Holmes catch review was a valid challenge IMO.

I hope he keeps the core of this team together, the core of the coaching staff, with a couple changes, O-line coach maybe, ST coach for certain. We will only improve under Tomlin, I can feel it.

Stlrs4Life
01-07-2008, 05:39 PM
How would you rate Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's first season?
Category: Sports
Voting began on 1/6/2008
Voting ends on 1/8/2008

A.Successful - 798 (44%) B.Average - 631 (34%) C.Fire him - 400 (22%)

I voted successful.

conservativesteelers
01-07-2008, 05:42 PM
How would you rate Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's first season?
Category: Sports
Voting began on 1/6/2008
Voting ends on 1/8/2008

A.Successful - 798 (44%) B.Average - 631 (34%) C.Fire him - 400 (22%)

I voted successful.

ON a grand scheme of things.. I agree. .. successful.. but, as an individual and decision making.. average. But, then again.. not many coaches in the league are steller at decision making.. Which shows it's much easier to sit here being an armchair quarterback than it is coaching in the heat of the moment on the sidelines.

BlastFurnace
01-07-2008, 05:44 PM
I like Tomlin for many reasons.

He's passionate, focussed, team oriented, positive, and seems to be able to relate to today's players. He did a great job in his first year as coach.

What he has repeatedly said and I want to see how much he means it is that "he holds people accountable". It will be interesting to see how he holds certain coaches and players accountable for poor play and what kind of changes will be made.

Where I would like to see him improve is knowing when and when not to challenge a play. I heard on the radio that he is 2 out of 9 in challenges. Some of them, as we all saw, were really obviously not going to be overturned. Again, he is a rookie HC and it wouldn't surprise me to see him honestly evaluate himself there as well.

The Rooney's made a good hire...the best from the 2006-7 choices they had to choose from.

Dino 6 Rings
01-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Agreed, I think he will get rid of people we all can agree didn't perform when called up on this off season. Including Willie Reid. He didn't step up and perform when it mattered. Having him not suited up for the playoff game told me alot.

Oline, he will evaluate and I have a feeling the O-line will have a new coach with 3 new faces on it, if not at least some folks playing in new spots come next season.

Special Teams will be addressed and it will be made better.

conservativesteelers
01-07-2008, 05:54 PM
I like Tomlin for many reasons.

He's passionate, focussed, team oriented, positive, and seems to be able to relate to today's players. He did a great job in his first year as coach.

What he has repeatedly said and I want to see how much he means it is that "he holds people accountable". It will be interesting to see how he holds certain coaches and players accountable for poor play and what kind of changes will be made.

Where I would like to see him improve is knowing when and when not to challenge a play. I heard on the radio that he is 2 out of 9 in challenges. Some of them, as we all saw, were really obviously not going to be overturned. Again, he is a rookie HC and it wouldn't surprise me to see him honestly evaluate himself there as well.

The Rooney's made a good hire...the best from the 2006-7 choices they had to choose from.

Can we blame Tomlin on challenges that were partially, if not wholy decided on his saff in the press box looking at the replay... I say fire those guys.. honestly.

BlastFurnace
01-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Can we blame Tomlin on challenges that were partially, if not wholy decided on his saff in the press box looking at the replay... I say fire those guys.. honestly.

That's the problem. I don't remember each challenge, but either he was really impulsive with the decision to challenge or someone upstairs has eyesight problems. If he was given bad advice by someone upstairs then that person needs to be removed from performing that job.

In either case, Tomlin seems to be an accountable guy. I'm sure it will be addressed.

conservativesteelers
01-07-2008, 07:05 PM
That's the problem. I don't remember each challenge, but either he was really impulsive with the decision to challenge or someone upstairs has eyesight problems. If he was given bad advice by someone upstairs then that person needs to be removed from performing that job.

In either case, Tomlin seems to be an accountable guy. I'm sure it will be addressed.

A lot of people in the NFL in the booths and press boxes seem to have eyesight problems.. I'm sure it will be addressed.. well.. I hope!

stillers4me
01-07-2008, 07:24 PM
I just checked the poll again.......it seems people are finally getting over their hangovers and common sense is kicking in! :sofunny:

A.Successful - 836 (44%)
B.Average - 664 (35%)
C.Fire him - 410 (21%)

shevdog
01-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Tomlin hater? Not I. Tomlin did good his first year.

Still, I say the Steelers had the potential to do better. I am talking the team, not just the head coach.

Big expectations for 2008!!!!!

SteelCityMan786
01-07-2008, 08:21 PM
21% want Tomlin Fired already? 1 Year, 1 Division Championship already. Rookie Coaches Don't always win the Super Bowl right off the bat. It was evident with Cowher. He didn't win his Super Bowl till year 14. Tomlin does have one as assistant, but still 0 as a head coach. But that doesn't mean down the line he won't have one of his own as a HC.

BlastFurnace
01-07-2008, 08:32 PM
21% want Tomlin Fired already? 1 Year, 1 Division Championship already. Rookie Coaches Don't always win the Super Bowl right off the bat. It was evident with Cowher. He didn't win his Super Bowl till year 14. Tomlin does have one as assistant, but still 0 as a head coach. But that doesn't mean down the line he won't have one of his own as a HC.

That's right. People forget that the Steelers had the home field advantage throughout the playoffs in 1992 when the Steelers lost to the Bills. Granted, there was no shame in losing to those Bills, but the 11-5 record and Home Field Advantage is certainly better than Tomlin and I don't remember anyone calling for Cowher's head after the Bills loss.

To be fair though, Cowher did not take over a team that had won the SB 2 years prior. Tomlin will be fine. Next years expectations coupled with the difficult schedule will certainly be interesting to watch.

Preacher
01-07-2008, 09:21 PM
That's right. People forget that the Steelers had the home field advantage throughout the playoffs in 1992 when the Steelers lost to the Bills. Granted, there was no shame in losing to those Bills, but the 11-5 record and Home Field Advantage is certainly better than Tomlin and I don't remember anyone calling for Cowher's head after the Bills loss.

To be fair though, Cowher did not take over a team that had won the SB 2 years prior. Tomlin will be fine. Next years expectations coupled with the difficult schedule will certainly be interesting to watch.

Also to be fair, Cowher took over a team that had a large number of players that were still performing at a high level. Sure, he cut the number one pick of a couple years before... but for the most part, he DIDNT have...

1. A leader at LG that went ballistic in the media... and proclaimed this was his last year, and then played like it.

2. A leader at LB whose skills were fading (and after his year at Miami... go ahead, argue Porter's skills weren't fading) and was cut, just a little before the year began.

3. A team in the middle of flux from a run first, run always team to a balanced team (Started by Cowher, by the way).

4. An offensive line that was more offensive then a line.

5. to replace the center.

6. A Quarter back who is stepping up and taking the line-blocking responsibility, changing everything for the offense when they come to the line of scrimmage.

7. Major injuries to their starting Running back, Left tackle, Wide Receiver, Defensive End, Strong Safety, not to mention sickness with the top CB.

Your right. In the end, patience is the key. We will be excellent come the next few years.... we will continue to be a dominant team.

Ed.R
01-07-2008, 10:52 PM
I like Tomlin , hope he stays long . The Ofensive Coach ........... well thats a diffrent story . BYE BYE !!!!!

SalukiSteelers
01-08-2008, 02:13 AM
More than 400 "fire him" votes?!? Wow, that's rich. I'll take Tomlin with a smile. Hey, it was his first season as the head man in the NFL. What, he had a year of DC experience before he took the job? The NFL is a tough place to learn how to head coach on the fly. He made some calls that can be viewed as mistakes, but I think the guy will learn from them. Tomlin is obviously pretty damned intelligent and nothing in the personality he's shown us would lead me to believe that he's anything but a tireless worker. As hard as anyone on this board or in that poll took this loss, Tomlin is taking it harder. I think the majority of Steelers fans have shown that we'll give a coach time to grow and learn as long as we believe the effort, ability, and desire to win is there.

Preacher
01-08-2008, 02:33 AM
I hate to see people use this. We were one motorcycle accident from another title. Everyone says were bad, but we were palying great (2005 type ) ball down the stretch and were a win or so from being the most dangerous team in the playoffs

Tomlin has done an average job wiht a pretty good group of talented players, he'll get better and someday I hope he is one of the greats. While everyone says it's too early to fire or criticize him too harshly, it is also too early to crown him and pat him on the back too much.

One motorcycle crash from another title? Really? Did you see our CB's get toasted game after game? Did you see our O line use that great "Turnstyle blocking" method?

Great ball down the stretch? Not even close. Great ball down the stretch means we don't lose to games to the Ravens.

fansince'76
01-08-2008, 08:07 AM
One motorcycle crash from another title? Really? Did you see our CB's get toasted game after game? Did you see our O line use that great "Turnstyle blocking" method?

Great ball down the stretch? Not even close. Great ball down the stretch means we don't lose two games to the Ravens.

Agreed, particularly by a combined score of 58-7. As much of a "disappointment" as some folks try to paint the 2007 season to be, 2006 just plain sucked and there was more to it than Ben being in a motorcycle accident. Much more.