PDA

View Full Version : Priority list for 2008

Stlr4ever
01-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Tomlin & Co. need to figure out a way to raise the standards of performance for players as well as coaches. What separates the Pats from other teams? It's the standards of performance set by Belichic. They simply do not tolerate underachievers. Whether we like them or hate them, we can't deny the fact that the 'bar' is set very high for their players. No wonder they are 16-0. How come 2 NFC teams and the Ravens came close to beating them and not our team? There is something wrong.
If we are going to be one of the elite teams and reach SB again, we must be able to beat the likes of Jags and Pats. We have done that in the past. We still lead the Pats series 13-10 (I think); the Jags leads the series by 3 or 4 games. Oh, lets not forget the Colts. We need to have more competent players in key positions: Offensive Line; DL; CBs.

CargoJon
01-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Offensive Line = number one need. End of story.

We'll get Willie, Ryan, and the rest back.

stillers4ever
01-07-2008, 12:39 PM
I would say use Coach Dungy as an example for standards. Besides the fact that i want bellicheat to burn in hell forever the way he runs his team is scetchy at best. he doesnt run a football TEAM. he runs a football jail. Ive heard the pats complain so much this season about how coach never gives them a break. i find it hard to beleive they have any fun playing football. winning gets hollow very quickly.

On the bigger issue: Coaching/standards have little to do with it. i persoanlly love tomlins tenacity. Better O-line + less injuries + woodley starting = superbowl. PERIOD!

Lord Stiller
01-07-2008, 12:45 PM
FIX THE O-LINE AND TRADE MAHAN TO CLEVELAND FOR A 6-PACK

Kvnfaber
01-07-2008, 12:45 PM
The O-line without question is the most glaring concern to address. With an average O-line this season the Steelers would have had 11 or 12 wins. After that it's special teams, which I believe is a scheme/execution problem more than personel.

fansince'76
01-07-2008, 12:51 PM
What separates the Pats from other teams? It's the standards of performance set by Belichic.

Don't forget blatant cheating. :coffee:

Dino 6 Rings
01-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Dream situation...Hartings comes back at center and we franchise tag Faneca.

Reality. Drafting an O lineman first round.

Preacher
01-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Dream situation...Hartings comes back at center and we franchise tag Faneca.

Reality. Drafting an O lineman first round.

Hopeful reality....

Drafting an O lineman in the first and second. Mahan works out as a LG, Trea develops into an excellent LT, We fill our center position and push Mahan at RG with the other draft pick. We also let Kemoeateautueuauta have a shot at RG again.

memphissteelergirl
01-07-2008, 02:36 PM
FIX THE O-LINE AND TRADE MAHAN TO CLEVELAND FOR A 6-PACK

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

Dino 6 Rings
01-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Agreed, put Mahan at his natural position and get a legit center in to take his spot. Tackle doesn't seem like a such a concern knowing we have depth there if we can just get guys healthy. Center is the key to this O-line and we need that fixed ASAP. With Faneca leaving, we do have some guys that can play OG in his spot. Not pro-bowlers for 8 straight years, but good enough to open running lanes and prevent 10000 sacks next year.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Tomlin & Co. need to figure out a way to raise the standards of performance for players as well as coaches. What separates the Pats from other teams? It's the standards of performance set by Belichic. .

...and the standard of performance enhancing drugs by Bruschi.

Edman
01-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Go into the trenches. The Steelers need some beef on both lines. O-Line is the more glaring need.

Dino 6 Rings
01-07-2008, 02:53 PM
agreed, it all starts in the trenches.

HometownGal
01-07-2008, 02:58 PM
OL needs to be our #1 priority.

Say hasta la vista to Faneca. Move Mahan to G where he has played most of his career before coming to the Burgh. Grab a center either via FA or the draft. Starks goes back to LT, Colon back to RT (though I haven't been all that impressed with him this season). The rest of the line is pretty much a crapshoot - mix 'em and match 'em.

MACH1
01-07-2008, 03:06 PM
OL needs to be our #1 priority.

Say hasta la vista to Faneca. Move Mahan to G where he has played most of his career before coming to the Burgh. Grab a center either via FA or the draft. Starks goes back to LT, Colon back to RT (though I haven't been all that impressed with him this season). The rest of the line is pretty much a crapshoot - mix 'em and match 'em.

I'd like to also add that we should give serious consideration to replacing Zierlein as the O-line coach. IMO, I think a lot of the problems with the line was bad coaching.

mopit55
01-07-2008, 03:16 PM
the priority is o-line but a new contract for big ben and draft a new defensive lineman is an option.so take a left or right tackle like otah,cherilus,clady...at draft.the o-line will be starks,colon or keomeatu,mahan,simmons,otah=strong.signing faneca maybe but he is 31.

conservativesteelers
01-07-2008, 03:20 PM
Smart players in lower rounds to help with special teams.. Upgrade o line and D line. Protect Ben by upgrading the line or he will get killed eventually.

TackleMeBen
01-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Smart players in lower rounds to help with special teams.. Upgrade o line and D line. Protect Ben by upgrading the line or he will get killed eventually.

:iagree: we need to fix the oline or ben wont be playing very long

steelers2685
01-07-2008, 04:02 PM
With Faneca leaving, we do have some guys that can play OG in his spot. Not pro-bowlers for 8 straight years, but good enough to open running lanes and prevent 10000 sacks next year.

:sofunny: HAHA Name someone who stepped in this season and earned their stripes. I like Colon, and Essex shows some promise, but overall we need to get working with FA to bring in some experience and performers. OL will probably be a 1st and 3rd rounder, with the second being a DL? Possible secondary pickup/special teams assist.

I'd really like to see the Steelers go out in FA however. A first round OL would be nice to mold into a great player, but he needs some leadership and playing quality to be raised by! With Faneca gone, that's gone.

83-Steelers-43
01-07-2008, 04:09 PM
To keep it short and sweet and off the top of my head, IMO....

1) A new special teams coach.

2) A left guard.

3) A center.

4) A wide receiver.

5) A legitimate return threat.

conservativesteelers
01-07-2008, 04:18 PM
To keep it short and sweet and off the top of my head, IMO....

1) A new special teams coach.

2) A left guard.

3) A center.

4) A wide receiver.

5) A legitimate return threat.

While I agree with you.. I would be hard pressed to believe they will find a legitimate return threat, or a legitamate big receiver were they are picking in the draft. IMO.. they need to improve the O line, D line, and get smarter players to play special teams and help out in various positions in the lower rounds whatever those positions may be. All this glitz and glamour of a great return guy and a special big receiver that will only be here for 3 or 4 seasons tops is not something they desperately need to suit the style of play they desire at this point.

Now, if they are going to continue to run those prayer shot fade patterns, then the tall receiver with good hands needst to be higher up on that list.. IMO.. don't run those prayer shot fade patterns.

83-Steelers-43
01-07-2008, 04:23 PM
While I agree with you.. I would be hard pressed to believe they will find a legitimate return threat, or a legitamate big receiver were they are picking in the draft. IMO.. they need to improve the O line, D line, and get smarter players to play special teams and help out in various positions in the lower rounds whatever those positions may be. All this glitz and glamour of a great return guy and a special big receiver that will only be here for 3 or 4 seasons tops is not something they desperately need to suit the style of play they desire at this point.

When it comes to a WR, I'm not asking for Randy Moss, but I am asking for somebody who shows more consistency than Nate Washington and Cedrick Wilson. Wilson bitches and moans more than he produces and Nate Washington makes a Stallworth-like catch and then drops the next two that are placed in the numbers.

When it comes to a returner, I'm not asking for Devin Hester as a returner, just somebody who can hold the damn ball and pick up a few yards here and there. Anything is better than Ricardo Colclough, Willie Reid, Najeh Davenport, Cedrick Wilson and an aging Rossum. Watching Colclough and now Willie Reid fumble the ball on our 20 and basically giving the opposition seven points is starting to get a little old in my opinion.

Agree completely with the o-line. The list was in no particular order, but o-line should be #1 priority in my mind.

conservativesteelers
01-07-2008, 04:38 PM
When it comes to a WR, I'm not asking for Randy Moss, but I am asking for somebody who shows more consistency than Nate Washington and Cedrick Wilson. Wilson bitches and moans more than he produces and Nate Washington makes a Stallworth-like catch and then drops the next two that are placed in the numbers.

When it comes to a returner, I'm not asking for Devin Hester as a returner, just somebody who can hold the damn ball and pick up a few yards here and there. Anything is better than Ricardo Colclough, Willie Reid, Najeh Davenport, Cedrick Wilson and an aging Rossum. Watching Colclough and now Willie Reid fumble the ball on our 20 and basically giving the opposition seven points is starting to get a little old in my opinion.

Agree completely with the o-line. The list was in no particular order, but o-line should be #1 priority in my mind.

Rossum did basically what you said you wanted.. But yes. he is aging.. But, is that extremely important? Pick up another vetern to do that job or let rookies figure that out hopefully.

I agree, But Nate doesnt' do that bad.. yes.. he is not great.. but the Steelers honestly are going to be hard pressed to find someone better believe it or not.. it's not easy to find those types of players were the Steeler are picking considering line play is there main priority.. or atleast I hope it is.

Cedric is somewhat of a cancer now.. even though he made a few very nice plays.. His comments don't warrant him sticking around IMO.

Rotorhead
01-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Well I agree with most of what you all have said, OL OL OL is the big priority. Maybe some depth at DL. A return guy (whether he be drafted or via FA) to help the ST, but it is not Rossum's issue this season, it is kind of difficult to return anything if the kicking team is in your face before the ball gets to you. We should replace the ST coach IMO. I am happy with our receivers, Miller Ward and Santo are fine, maybe we should start looking for a Ward replacement, but for the next few years we are good at receiver. Washington may get better yet, he certainly shows flashes.

83-Steelers-43
01-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Washington may get better yet, he certainly shows flashes.

I keep hearing that, still waiting. Maybe someday. The guy should sleep with a football in his hands during the offseason.

The Duke
01-07-2008, 05:03 PM
I keep hearing that, still waiting. Maybe someday. The guy should sleep with a football in his hands during the offseason.

yep, we've been hearing that all the time. I don't want him gone or anything, but he'll never be a #2 receiver. and if we get someone better than him then he might even go to #4

83-Steelers-43
01-07-2008, 05:07 PM
yep, we've been hearing that all the time. I don't want him gone or anything, but he'll never be a #2 receiver. and if we get someone better than him then he might even go to #4

It just kills me that the guy can make an unbelievable catch on one drive and then drop passes that are right on the money. Talk about a drive killer.

Every year during training camp I keep hearing about how he's the best basketball player on the team, that's great to know, unfortunately we are not paying him to shoot hoops. Personally, I'm not comfortable with our options after Holmes and Ward (who is not getting any younger).

The Duke
01-07-2008, 05:19 PM
It just kills me that the guy can make an unbelievable catch on one drive and then drop passes that are right on the money. Talk about a drive killer.

Every year during training camp I keep hearing about how he's the best basketball player on the team, that's great to know, unfortunately we are not paying him to shoot hoops. Personally, I'm not comfortable with our options after Holmes and Ward (who is not getting any younger).

If you ask a dolphin fan they would tell you he reminds them of chris chambers(though I don't know if he's been good in san diego).

here's hoping this is nate's year, lol :cheers:

steelers2685
01-07-2008, 10:20 PM
What happened with Dallas Baker? He looked good in training camp and preseason, big receiver with good hands.

Interested to see in an article on the homepage that the author said in an ideal sense the Steelers can resign Faneca and Starks, move Faneca to C, Starks stays, Mahan gets moved to G, and they' donly have to pick up one OL. I don't see them signing Faneca unless Ben is willing to take a cut to keep him. He'd be dumb not to want Faneca there. He thought this year was bad, think about next year with a rookie and the line we had this year! Ben will need a sand bucket and shovel may as well build a mud castle while he's on the ground, he'll have the time!

revefsreleets
01-08-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm thinking address OL in rd 1 in the draft and also use FA to find a value guy who can play, but won't cost a bundle. The Steelers are pretty adept at doing that. I'd also look to FA for DL depth. We can address WR in the draft with an emphasis on somebody who is a return burner. If we don't draft a WR #1, the guy is most likely not going to contribute much in year one, so his value would be mostly as KR/PR. It's an underrated position in the NFL.