PDA

View Full Version : I want the foam!

Stu Pidasso
01-07-2008, 12:18 PM
I was at the game on Saturday, and about 3 or 4 times, the jumbotron and NBC showed a guy in the stands with what looked like large foam hypocycloids. One was on his head (like a cheesehead hat) and the other two were on his hands. They were also the three colors of the logo diamonds.

Are these available commercially? If so, where can I get them?

stlrtruck
01-07-2008, 01:01 PM
If it's the guy that has his face painted, I think he's at all the Steelers games. I've run into him at Steelers games in baltimore.

He carries around a large bag of Steelers hats that odd and unusual.

Rhee Rhee
01-07-2008, 01:54 PM
hmm i would really like the yellowand blue ones..

Stu Pidasso
01-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Any idea where he gets his, or where I can get them?

Steel Pit
01-09-2008, 03:21 AM
Yep, I've ran into him at just about every Steelers game that I've attended and when I don't attend the game it seems as if the dude always makes it on television.

I know the item that you're speaking of but I don't know where you could buy one. It almost looks like a homemade item.

By the way, is this the fan that you're talking about?

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/bkakers/Pitt20059.jpg[/IMG]

Stu Pidasso
01-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Not even close. This guy had one large red diamond on his head, and one in each of his hands. they looks to be about 2 feet across, and each of the three colors. I'll watch the game again, and see if I can take a picture of it. Gimme a few days.

And as a side note, Where the heck was the Steel City Mafia tailgate? My buddy and I looked for almost 1 1/2 hours! I joined, and was all pumped up to meet yinz, but I couldn't find ya. Yinz need a banner.

Stu Pidasso
01-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Okay, sorry for the horrible pic, but I had to freeze frame the TV and take it with a digicam. It was shown right after Santonio Holmes made the 4th down TD in the 4th quarter, and from where he was, it looks like the fan was in Section 114 or 115. Any info would be of great help. Here's the pic:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a220/StuPidasso2/foamhat.jpg

12+88=6
01-10-2008, 12:34 AM
is this a better pic?

12+88=6
01-10-2008, 12:36 AM
did you ever get a throwback 1930's jersey?

Stu Pidasso
01-10-2008, 08:34 AM
is this a better pic?

Yup! That's him! Thanks a lot dude! Now on to finding them...

...And no, I'm still looking for the throwback jersey. I find them every once in a while, but none in my size. (I'm huge, 4XL lol)

SteelFan4Life
01-10-2008, 11:12 PM
Yep, I've ran into him at just about every Steelers game that I've attended and when I don't attend the game it seems as if the dude always makes it on television.

I know the item that you're speaking of but I don't know where you could buy one. It almost looks like a homemade item.

By the way, is this the fan that you're talking about?

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/bkakers/Pitt20059.jpg[/IMG]

That's funny... The guy in the middle is my DAD! :) He is at a good many games and I try to make half of the ones that he does. We are from Irwin, PA, but now live 3? hours away in Maryland. His hat is just a modified ski hat from Shenk & Titlle (sp?).

Here is a photo of us together...

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i140/JGalla76/Joshz%20Steelers%20Photos/Jaguars%20Game%202008/DadandMe.gif

------

I did see the guy you speak of at the Jags game. They WERE sweet hats. G'luck finding one.

Stu Pidasso
01-11-2008, 04:50 PM
So you think these aren't commercially available?

Hmm... Might be time to look into some 3M foam...

SteelSurf
01-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Just find a Home Foam Insulation guy in your area,tell em what you want. Most of these Insulation contractors would get a kick out of it and do it for nothing. Look under Icynene,Demilec,BaySeal etc. Or just drive bye a few homes under construction and look for a foam rig. Most all high end homes use it now.

Stu Pidasso
01-12-2008, 08:52 PM
I'd rather just buy them.

m4mica
01-14-2008, 12:11 AM
[QUOTE=Stu Pidasso;354574]Okay, sorry for the horrible pic, but I had to freeze frame the TV and take it with a digicam. It was shown right after Santonio Holmes made the 4th down TD in the 4th quarter, and from where he was, it looks like the fan was in Section 114 or 115. Any info would be of great help. Here's the pic:

Stu, not sure if you need a better pic or not, but I record the games in HD on my computer and I was able to extract a pretty decent frame of this guy. Reply or PM if you want me to post it.

Stu Pidasso
01-14-2008, 12:18 PM
I'd love it! Anything to get me closer to getting one of those. Thanks!

Stu Pidasso
07-30-2008, 06:29 PM
OH GOD Am I still looking for these...

stlrtruck
07-31-2008, 07:39 AM
This guy is all over the place. I have a photograph of him (somewhere) when I was a ratbirds game years (1999) ago. I'm sure if you talk to him he'll be able to tell you where he gets them.

So whatever game you go to next year - look for him. I know he's all over Steelers Nation!!

12+88=6
09-30-2008, 06:51 PM
i saw him on tv in last nights game. it was a nice close up shot. i'll see if i can post a pic. maybe someone knows his face.

klick81
10-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Yeah they got up really close on him on Monday's game. They look pretty cool!

TailgateMel
10-01-2008, 11:31 AM
HELLO!!!!

There was a guy in our section with these at the last game. He was wearing a blue one on his head, it said "Pittsburgh" on it. I approached him after the game & asked him where he got it, he told me he got it at "Papermart"

http://papermartparty.com/

They don't have an online dealeo... you have to go to the store. There is a list of stores on the link there.

Mel

Stu Pidasso
10-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Well, I live in Youngstown, but I'm heading down Friday to Pittsburgh. I'll be driving through the Robinson Town Centre, I'll let y'all know.

Although, if it was commercially available from a store like that, shouldn't we see more than one person wearing them?

TailgateMel
10-01-2008, 07:29 PM
:noidea: Well, its not like the papermarts are like walmarts, there are just a few. The dude had no reason to lie to me & he didn't hesitate to answer my question.

The "pittsburgh" writing on it is just like the "pittsburgh" writing (same font & size) that was on the yellow foam cowboy hats that I had bought from Giant Eagle back in the 2005 superbowl season (same one Hines Ward wore in the victory parade).... I just happened to see them one day at Giant Eagle, didn't see them ever again, I had bought two... and I don't see anybody wearing them either.

I'm curious to go there just to see what other cool & unique Steelers or "Pittsburgh" stuff they have there.

Mel

millwalldavey
10-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Those are sweet!

12+88=6
10-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Yeah they got up really close on him on Monday's game. They look pretty cool!

do you remember what part of the game they showed him? i watched it again and i didn't see him.

klick81
10-02-2008, 12:35 AM
Well it showed him cheering wildly, so it must have been during one of the Steelers few "good" plays...lol.

Also, I doubt these would be sold in any stores, seeing as how they would have to be licensed by the NFL. I'm thinking they were custom made.

12+88=6
10-02-2008, 12:55 AM
ok here he is. he was on at the 8:37 mark in the 4th qtr. anyone know him? i think i saw a ring on his left hand so he may be married.

klick81
10-02-2008, 02:03 AM
i think i saw a ring on his left hand so he may be married.

Ok, that's just creepy...:chuckle:

TailgateMel
10-02-2008, 08:50 AM
They guy I talked to at the game had sat either in my section or in the section next to me, as I saw him walking out near the tunnel... I was in section 127, which is near the corner of the closed-end endzone.... it was NOT that guy. You can see that guy was in one of the mid-field sections. Plus, The guy I talked to was thinner and had the blue one on his head & no dreadloc steelers cap on underneath.

They don't have to be licensed if they just say "Pittsburgh" on them.. there is a LOT of stuff that just says "Pittsburgh" on it around here that is black & gold. Hypocycloids are not exclusive to the Steelers.

Mel

klick81
10-02-2008, 09:51 AM
They don't have to be licensed if they just say "Pittsburgh" on them.. there is a LOT of stuff that just says "Pittsburgh" on it around here that is black & gold. Hypocycloids are not exclusive to the Steelers.

Mel

Ahhh yes. Makes sense.

12+88=6
10-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Ok, that's just creepy...:chuckle:

no, just observant. like House M.D. or something.

how bout this, he was looking to his left (to see the play i presume) so that means he was sitting behind the steelers bench, b/c in the 4th qtr the ravens were going left to right on the tv screen and on this play they were near their own goaline, and tv the view was from behind the steelers bench. so he'd have to turn left to see the play.

12+88=6
12-02-2008, 08:44 PM
he was at the game vs the bengals. here's another pic.

Stu Pidasso
12-02-2008, 09:04 PM
That's the guy. I'm heading down to Da' Burgh on Friday, I'm going to stop in that store to see if they have them. Depending on the price, I'll maybe get the set, maybe just one for my noggin'...

12+88=6
12-02-2008, 10:17 PM
lmk how much. i'll take a set if reasonable.

Stu Pidasso
12-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Well, I found the place, it's right across from IKEA in that little plaza, called PaperMart. Went in, and all they had left were 2 blue ones. The good news? It was only 3 bucks each!! They are ordering me the yellow and red ones, I'll pick'em up next time I go down.

WOOHOO! I got a new rally hat for the playoffs!

12+88=6
12-16-2008, 09:15 AM
do you know if they will ship them to me? i live in the poconos. lmk the phone number of the place if you have it.

TailgateMel
12-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Well, I found the place, it's right across from IKEA in that little plaza, called PaperMart. Went in, and all they had left were 2 blue ones. The good news? It was only 3 bucks each!! They are ordering me the yellow and red ones, I'll pick'em up next time I go down.

WOOHOO! I got a new rally hat for the playoffs!

I went there in November & they didn't have them :(

Stu Pidasso
12-16-2008, 10:37 AM
do you know if they will ship them to me? i live in the poconos. lmk the phone number of the place if you have it.

No, they won't. I live 2 hours away, and asked, they wouldn't ship them to me.

Stang909
01-01-2009, 10:26 PM
I too live near Youngstown and last year I found these at some store in Boardmanor a neighboring town. I cant remember what store it was though. Problem was they only had two reds and a blue. I bought them and painted one of the reds white but never finished it to be yellow. They were on clearance and were only a buck a piece. I may have to finish the one soon.

nojobny
01-01-2009, 10:38 PM
I wish I has seen this thread b4 christmas. The hotel I always stay at when I can't get a flight out after the game is in Robinson Towne Center. I could have stopped by there Saturday or Sunday to check for you.