PDA

View Full Version : New Ticketholders Revved Up Crowd Saturday?

Atlanta Dan
01-07-2008, 02:16 PM
I thought the crowd sounded particularly hyped up Saturday night (as when Ben raised his arms to quiet them before the snap as Here We Go Steelers boomed away) and atttributed it to drinking since noon, but Ed.B. of the P-G has another view:

Q: Can you ask all of the season ticket holders that sold their tickets to the playoff game, to please do so for every game, and please sell them to same people they did for the Jacksonville game? Best home crowd I have ever been a part of at a Steelers game, by far. Thanks. Chris Bruno, Alexandria, Va.

BOUCHETTE: It was a good crowd, even if there were nearly 1,500 no-shows. I saw a sign that advertised tickets at face value, and I heard stories of people buying tickets below face value and even some who could not give theirs away. [I]Those who turned out did make it one of the loudest games I've heard at Heinz Field and you are right, perhaps the Steelers aging ticket base should sell their seats more often.

http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/questions/

I know it was a cold rainy night, but 1500 no shows for a playoff game and the rush for the exits in the third quarter of the first Jax game makes me wonder if Ed.B. may be on to the home crowd going down the slippery slope the Atlanta Braves fanbase fell in which the home crowd grew progressively more passive while taking division championships for granted.

I always thought the acoustics kept Heinz from being as rowdy as TRS, but any season tcketholders able to coment on whether the crowd may have gotten more sedate given the natue of fans who have the means to lay out $$$ for personal seat licenses and the fact old time season ticket holders keep the seats as they grow older?

Lord Stiller
01-07-2008, 02:53 PM
I was there in section 101 and it was awesome!!!!

I am the one that posted the Catch 22 on the Steelers fanbase thread because I was worried the crowd would be lame but it wasnt

Stlrs4Life
01-07-2008, 04:56 PM
I thought the crowd did great Saturday, even when we were down 28-10. There was a few boos at half, but that was right after the INT.

Dynasty
01-07-2008, 07:20 PM
was there up in 536... there are season tix in my family so i go to several games a year. i don't know how much of it was because of the playoff atmosphere, but the game was crazy loud... easily the loudest one i've been to in a long time. other games have been noticably less loud, only heating up after key plays. the crowd on sat. was constantly yelling.

83-Steelers-43
01-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Damn Steeler fans at Heinz Field.......that was the teams biggest problem this year. Mascot comes in second. Damn ungrateful yuppies. Not sure what's wrong with us local folk......:yawn:

83-Steelers-43
01-07-2008, 08:20 PM
I know it was a cold rainy night

FWIW, it wasn't cold. It was comfortable compared to many of the home games this season. Actually, minus a misty drizzle it wasn't bad at all.

nojobny
01-07-2008, 10:55 PM
I thought the crowd sounded particularly hyped up Saturday night (as when Ben raised his arms to quiet them before the snap as Here We Go Steelers boomed away) and atttributed it to drinking since noon, but Ed.B. of the P-G has another view:

Q: Can you ask all of the season ticket holders that sold their tickets to the playoff game, to please do so for every game, and please sell them to same people they did for the Jacksonville game? Best home crowd I have ever been a part of at a Steelers game, by far. Thanks. Chris Bruno, Alexandria, Va.

BOUCHETTE: It was a good crowd, even if there were nearly 1,500 no-shows. I saw a sign that advertised tickets at face value, and I heard stories of people buying tickets below face value and even some who could not give theirs away. [I]Those who turned out did make it one of the loudest games I've heard at Heinz Field and you are right, perhaps the Steelers aging ticket base should sell their seats more often.

http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/questions/

I know it was a cold rainy night, but 1500 no shows for a playoff game and the rush for the exits in the third quarter of the first Jax game makes me wonder if Ed.B. may be on to the home crowd going down the slippery slope the Atlanta Braves fanbase fell in which the home crowd grew progressively more passive while taking division championships for granted.

I always thought the acoustics kept Heinz from being as rowdy as TRS, but any season tcketholders able to coment on whether the crowd may have gotten more sedate given the natue of fans who have the means to lay out $$$ for personal seat licenses and the fact old time season ticket holders keep the seats as they grow older?

A couple of things..

1. Were you at the game?
2. Rush for the exits in the 3rd quarter, I saw a rush right before the half and the rtn to seats was a little slower than normal.
3. Cold, not really. I've sat through waaaay colder nights at Heinz. And rainy, no again. It a was drizzly at best. It didn't start raining hard until I was in my car on the way home.
4. what's up with your animosity towards newer season ticket holders? You do realize that the wait for tickets is years, if not decades. I waited 18 for mine and this is only my 6th season. I'm trying to figure out what you mean by 'nature of the fan who have the means to lay out $$$$' for seats.
5. 1500 no shows. Do you know what that equals in relation to the number of the fans who were there - 2.3%. I think we can allow 2% of the crowd to not show up for whatever reasons (death, missed flights, car trouble, sudden illness, family emergencies, etc)

Quite frankly, I'm tried of seeing posts about people complaining about the behavior of the fans in the stands... esp from people who aren't there. Maybe it's a sore subject to me because I do spend a lot of money during the season because I'm a long distance fan. Yeah, it's hard to stay up when you're watching a miserable O-line game after game in the pouring rain and I mentioned this in another thread, unlike a lot of other stadiums around the league, Heinz Field has a lot of places to watch the game near the concession stands and in the Great Hall that you can't see when you're watching the game from home.

Okay... I'm done. rant off/

Lord Stiller
01-08-2008, 07:26 AM
Damn Steeler fans at Heinz Field.......that was the teams biggest problem this year. Mascot comes in second. Damn ungrateful yuppies. Not sure what's wrong with us local folk......:yawn:

Dont you understand the article?

The normal sucky people that go didnt show up because it was rainy and nobody picked the Steelers to win. If they did show up, trust me thousands would have left at halftime

revefsreleets
01-08-2008, 08:13 AM
This article is absolutely true. We noticed it on the way in almost immediately, it was a MUCH younger crowd, and the energy level was way more intense. We were up in 537, and the deck usually moves a little, but it was hopping up and down (and, actually, it's kind of disconcerting for the "ground" to move that much when you stop to consider you are 20 stories up!).

There is no dount that it was the most intesnse crowd I've ever witnessed for a pro football game.

We also went down and watched the 4th quarter in front of the scoreboard, and if you've never done that, give it a try sometime. It's a whole other world down there. Anyway, when the Steelers were mounting their comeback, we had worked our way right up to the edge of the field, and I turned around and looked up into the stadium and it was surreal. It had to feel almost like the players feel. The stadium looked completely full, and it looked like every single person was waving their terrible towel. It took my breath away, and I thought to myself that there was no way that the opposing team could NOT be affected by a scene like that.

Counselor
01-08-2008, 08:43 AM
This article is absolutely true. We noticed it on the way in almost immediately, it was a MUCH younger crowd, and the energy level was way more intense. We were up in 537, and the deck usually moves a little, but it was hopping up and down (and, actually, it's kind of disconcerting for the "ground" to move that much when you stop to consider you are 20 stories up!).

There is no dount that it was the most intesnse crowd I've ever witnessed for a pro football game.

It was truly awesome on Saturday---even when we were down. But the fourth quarter will stay with me the rest of my life. When the "ground" started moving my husband was a little disconcerted. I told him----if we go down it would be a great way to go!

revefsreleets
01-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Well, I was a little more pragmatic about it all. I was thinking "If these people around me go down I don't want to go down with them!"

But that's not why we moved down. I've always heard it was intense down there, we figured (since we were down 18 at the time) that the game and season was probably over, so why not see what it was all about? It was pretty cool.

83-Steelers-43
01-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Dont you understand the article?

The normal sucky people that go didnt show up because it was rainy and nobody picked the Steelers to win. If they did show up, trust me thousands would have left at halftime

I do understand the article.

That's why I'm blaming the people who normally go to Heinz Field and cheer the team on week in and week out.....those yuppies and now the geriatrics!!!

I say the Rooney's round them up and ship them to Albania. :banana:

83-Steelers-43
01-08-2008, 09:19 AM
I thought the crowd did great Saturday, even when we were down 28-10. There was a few boos at half, but that was right after the INT.

I agree Strlrs4Life. I think between it being a Saturday night game (fans tend to be more intoxicated), nicer weather compared to other regular season games this year and most importantly, the fact that it was a playoff game made it even louder than it normally tends to be.

alittlejazzbird
01-08-2008, 03:42 PM

Ed Bouchette today in his chat called the season ticket holders "aging and spoiled." My father, who's now in his mid-60s, had season tickets for many years, and I can tell you from attending games with him that a great many fans in the stands were right around his age.

I tend to mostly agree with Ed that the season ticket holding fanbase is aging (many bought their tickets in the 70s, and no one gives up those seats!!!) and are spoiled by five Super Bowls and regular playoff appearances. Now that these folks are getting older, they don't want to sit in bad weather, they don't like the traffic, they think the other fans are rude -- all reasons my dad gave up his seats a couple years ago.

What's wrong with the "local folk" is the same thing that's been wrong with Pittsburgh for decades: aging, spoiled, and you can add "complacent" as well. And I say that as a native and, until five years ago, nearly lifelong resident. It's a big part of the reason I (reluctantly) had to move on.

Atlanta Dan
01-08-2008, 04:51 PM
I tend to mostly agree with Ed that the season ticket holding fanbase is aging (many bought their tickets in the 70s, and no one gives up those seats!!!) and are spoiled by five Super Bowls and regular playoff appearances. Now that these folks are getting older, they don't want to sit in bad weather, they don't like the traffic, they think the other fans are rude -- all reasons my dad gave up his seats a couple years ago.

Good post :thumbsup:

I am a former resident as well and know Pittsburtgh loves its past, sometimes to the detriment of its future.

IMO it is not just a Pittsburgh thing but an establsihed season ticket holder thing.

By way of example - in college basketball Duke has always given the courtside seats to the students while the rich donors sit upstairs; many other progarms (notably another Evil Empire in Chapel Hill) had the rich donors courtside and had what was called a "whine and cheese" crowd. Guess which seating plan created an intimidating and rowdy atmosphere. Many schools now move the students courtside to get that atmosphere.

Based on personal experience, you are obviously more likely to raise the roof in your 20s as opposed to being in your 50s. But in NFL cities (or any successsful sports program) that have sold out for 30 years the demographic of the season ticket holders skews old. As someone who skews old, this certainly is not bashing anyone - just a fact of life.

83-Steelers-43
01-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Ed Bouchette today in his chat called the season ticket holders "aging and spoiled." My father, who's now in his mid-60s, had season tickets for many years, and I can tell you from attending games with him that a great many fans in the stands were right around his age.

Alot of those ticket holders have had the tickets handed down to the next generation. Maybe it's where I'm sitting, but I'm not seeing too many 60+ in my section. More like 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's. Just find it odd that nobody bitched and complained about the fans during our XL season. Now it's a topic....lol.

I'll be the first one to complain about many fans living in the past in this city. Look no further than Penguin fans when it came to Recchi being traded. With some, you would have thought the world came to an end. Why? Because of what the guy did in the early 90's.

The way I look at it, if people want to go to a game and sit there and enjoy themselves.....go for it. If your 69 or 29. Reading the Heinz Field rules, I'm not seeing anywhere in the book that you have to stand up and cheer and clap for four quarters straight. It's their money. I sit next to a guy who doesn't say a word all game long, but when we score he will stand up and wave his towel. The man is a football encyclopedia and he's in his late 30's...........tops.

I just find it funny that people judge others on how they act at a Steeler game. Basically, if they do not scream the whole damn game they do not "deserve" the tickets or that they are less of a fan. People they don't even know.

Another one......There is a lady who sit two seats down from me and I was going to games when her father was attending. He has since passed. She is in her early 40's now and she doesn't miss a game. She doesn't say a word during the whole damn game. She simply enjoys the atmosphere and watching her Steelers. I do not think she deserves some chest thumping "#1 Steeler fan in all of the universe" telling her that her loyalty is less simply because she doesn't scream the whole damn game. That's all.

Sooooooooooo........................how about that o-line?....lol.

Jaylo1954
01-08-2008, 08:00 PM
:wave:Hi everyone! This is my first posting on this forum. I am 53 years old. I have been going to Steelers games since 2004. That year one of my sisters clients offered her two tickets, so we went. Now my sister and I are both hooked. We never went to games before 2004 because we never really thought that it was possible to get tickets. We learned that if you let enough people know that you are looking for tickets or if you are willing to put up the big bucks on E-bay, you can go to the games--and I did get to go to six regular season games this year. There is nothing like watching the Steelers play--and particularly win. It's like a drug and once you have one shot of it, you want more.
I too was at the game on on Saturday. Since it was my first playoff game ever, I didn't know what to expect. It was great. I was so proud of the team for how they fought back in the second half. I also was proud of how the fans cheered the Steelers on throughout the game. That surprised me because I didn't see so much of that during the regular season. I know some of the "fans" left before the end of the game, but I figured that it was their loss missing such an exciting ending--even though it didn't go in our favor.
I also want you all to know that I jumped and cheered and screamed and carried on throughout the entire game. Not bad for an old 53 year old lady!:cheer: