PDA

View Full Version : Gibbs resigns from Skins after four seasons

TackleMeBen
01-08-2008, 10:26 AM
WASHINGTON (AP) - Joe Gibbs resigned as coach and team president of the Washington Redskins (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/67062) on Tuesday, three days after his team's playoff loss concluded a season marked by the killing of safety Sean Taylor (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/200303).

The Redskins (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/67062) said in a statement that Gibbs will remain part of the Redskins (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/67062) family and serve as a special adviser to owner Dan Snyder. Gibbs was to discuss his decision at a 3 p.m. news conference at Redskins (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/67062) Park. The Redskins (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/67062) will begin a search for a new coach immediately. Among the certain candidates are two former head coaches on Gibbs' staff, Gregg Williams and Al Saunders.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7648730

Lord Stiller
01-08-2008, 10:30 AM
This is the perfect scenario for Cowher to take over as coach for the 'Skins. They are a power running team with a good defense and deep history and tradition like the Steelers. Most importantly, Snyder will not hesitate to make Cowher the highest paid coach in the NFL

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Cowher coach the 'Skins

fansince'76
01-08-2008, 10:33 AM
This is the perfect scenario for Cowher to take over as coach for the 'Skins. They are a power running team with a good defense and deep history and tradition like the Steelers. Most importantly, Snyder will not hesitate to make Cowher the highest paid coach in the NFL

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Cowher coach the 'Skins

Yep, this is where Cowher's repeated proclamation of "no way am I coming back" gets seriously tested - Snyder will throw a boatload of money at him.

TackleMeBen
01-08-2008, 10:38 AM
lets just hope snyder isnt as dumb as people say and go out and get some college coach... lol

HometownGal
01-08-2008, 10:46 AM
No way Cowher works for Dan Snyder. No way in hell. He's not coming back to the NFL until at least the 2009 season - he said recently that he is quite happy with what he is doing.

ShutDown24
01-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Yep, this is where Cowher's repeated proclamation of "no way am I coming back" gets seriously tested - Snyder will throw a boatload of money at him.

For sure.

We play the Skins next year too. I love that team.

Atlanta Dan
01-08-2008, 11:50 AM
No way Cowher works for Dan Snyder. No way in hell. He's not coming back to the NFL until at least the 2009 season - he said recently that he is quite happy with what he is doing.

IMO there were four jobs that would change Cowher's mind about sitting out until 2009 - working for three flagship franchises with the heft of the Steelers (Giants, Skins, Cowboys) or coming back to where he got his start in Cleveland.

Even with Snyder writing the checks, coach of the Redskins is a good gig, assuming Cowher can hire his own coaches (Gibbs was a constitutional monarch the second go round). I think Snyder has to take a run at getting Cowher

RoethlisBURGHer
01-08-2008, 02:19 PM
I can see Bill Cowher as head coach of the Washington Redskins.

If Cowher wants a guy in FA, you know Snyder will throw the money at him. I think Snyder would let Cowher play be coach and act as GM.

We all know Snyder won't hesitate to make whoever he choses the highest paid head coach in the NFL.

There are normally not many jobs open where you can walk right in as head coach and your coaching a contender. Right now, the Washington Redskins is the best coaching vacancy out there. If Cowher doesn't take this job, then he better be prepared to coach a team in rebuilding mode. The only team that is a contender that I can see opening up their head coach position in the next year or two is the Giants.

OneForTheToe
01-08-2008, 02:31 PM
I could see cowher taking this job if he could be assured that Snyder would stop throwing away thier draft picks. Cowher has done well at CBS, but the Skins job is the best one "offered up" yet. I think they will be pretty good over the next few years. There is some talent in Washington.

As for Gibbs, we have turned this discussion into one about Cowher for obvious reasons. However, let me say good luck and best wishes to a great coach and from what i can tell a prettty class guy. I heard that part of the reason for his decision is that he has a grandchild recovering from cancer, so god bless.

Joe,, go enjoy your family and watching races - you have earned it.

revefsreleets
01-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Here is what it comes down to:

$10,000,000.00

I think Cowher will take 5 at 50 mil, and I think Snyder is one of like 3 owners in the NFL kooky enough to offer it.

Michael Keller
01-08-2008, 03:57 PM
I just hope Cowher proves that he left for his family. His legacy would b enahanced if he waits for at least one more year. Frankly I would not be surprised if he never coaches again.

Lord Stiller
01-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Frankly I would not be surprised if he never coaches again.

LOL, I would

You obviously haven't seen Cowher on TV this season. He was all fired up on the halftime show of the Chargers/Titans playoff game, looks as if Cowher is chomping at the bit to get back on the sidelines. But he will probably wait atleast another year

I would bet all the money in my bank account that Cowher will coach again

fansince'76
01-08-2008, 04:13 PM
I would bet all the money in my bank account that Cowher will coach again

That's a bet I would make also - he's too young for me to believe he won't be back coaching at some point. It gets in these guys' blood, and being a talking head on a pregame studio show doesn't fill the void. IMO, it's not a question of if Cowher comes back to coach, but when. My bet is '09, but if Snyder throws enough money at him, and he gets the working terms he wants (full control personnel-wise), he might be back on the sideline as early as next year in burgundy and gold.

tony hipchest
01-08-2008, 05:36 PM
pat kirwan works with cowher every sunday (they watch and break down all the games together). they both have great manegerial minds, are about the same age, and all indications are that they are friends and confidants.

kirwan says cowher wont be taking this job. maybe in 09, but he says cowher is staying put for now (08 season).

i gotta believe him, as it is probably the greatest "insider" info we will get on the matter.

BlastFurnace
01-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Keep in mind that Cowher a great source of information on how Snyder deals with coaches being that Cowher's best friend was fired by Snyder after one year - Marty.

Snyder may make a run at Cowher, but don't think for a second that Cowher would blindly follow money to go there. Cowher has plenty of money and a ring, he doesn't have to rush into anything he doesn't feel would work out to benefit him.

Cowher is going to be the coach of the Carolina Panthers in 1 year. Why else would the Richardson's extend Fox for an additonal season.

SteelersMongol
01-09-2008, 03:41 AM
I wouldn't b surprised 2 c Cowher taking the job & I don't mind at all if he's with the Redskins.

Rhee Rhee
01-11-2008, 02:53 AM
Next up for giibs...

NASCAR!!!

touchdownward
01-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Next up for giibs...

NASCAR!!!
The speed of the new NFL seemed to have "passed" him by. :wink02:

All the luck to a classy coach.:cheers:

silver & black
01-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Here is what it comes down to:

$10,000,000.00

I think Cowher will take 5 at 50 mil, and I think Snyder is one of like 3 owners in the NFL kooky enough to offer it.

I read a rumor somwhere that 10,000,000 is what will be offered... plus full control. That would be awful hard to say no to.

revefsreleets
01-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Ain't no rumor, it's the magic number for Cowher.