PDA

View Full Version : PFW: Grading the Coaches

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Good article on all 32 coaches....her is the whole article http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/NFL+Features/2007/coaches2226.htm

Mike Tomlin | Pittsburgh Steelers
Grade: B+
Tomlin is intelligent and well-organized; were he not coaching in the NFL, it wouldn’t be a surprise if he were making a fortune on Wall Street. He had the unenviable task of taking over a veteran club that was accustomed to Bill Cowher and Cowher’s coaching staff. But Tomlin has fared well, for the most part. The Steelers reached the playoffs in spite of some late-season struggles, but they were eliminated in the wild-card round by Jacksonville — at Heinz Field. The defense allowed fewer yards than any other in the league. Tomlin and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau have meshed their philosophies relatively well, though you would have to expect some defensive personnel changes in the offseason now that the patient Tomlin has had a season to observe the “D.” The offense wasn’t overly impressive statistically but was still potent, thanks to a remarkable season by QB Ben Roethlisberger, who took a beating behind an offensive line that needs to be revamped. Overall, Tomlin’s first regular season in Pittsburgh went relatively well.

fansince'76
01-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Of course, Belicheat* gets an A, but no surprise here. Hey kids, cheaters DO win!

Atlanta Dan
01-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Apparently Tomlin got a B+, which seems about right to me. Tomlin received the highest grade of all the new hires (Whiz got a B) which also seems right.

Thanks for the link

Rhee Rhee
01-08-2008, 12:50 PM
give him an A- for living up to the immense pressure that comes with taking over the pittsburgh steelers and the winning tradition we have here..

DACEB
01-08-2008, 01:03 PM
I have been a huge Tomlin fan / supporter since the hiring and at this point I still am. I must say that I am more than a little dissappointed with the last 5 games of the season.

I have stated before that I will truly only grade Tomlin after this upcoming season. I will give him the oppurtunity to get a season under his belt (this past season), go thru the draft and FA (again) and then in his second season see if he learned anything from his mistakes in the first.

I have also stated that I would like to see Arians (although in the booth) and Lebeau back as coordinators. I would hope that as far as the playcalling goes, on either side of the ball, that after a year together Tomlin and each coordinator will know better what is expected. I would hope Tomlin would further place his stamp on this team.

I am dissappointed however at how we ended the season. I understand and appreciate the fact that we had several key injuries. I believe that noone (including myself) truly appreciated the job that Ryan Clark was doing at FS. Our defense suffered immediately when Aaron Smith went down. The loss of FWP was never so evident until I saw Najeh huffing and puffing on the field in the Jags game. Who knows what a difference Tuman could have made in the runnung game? I am dissappointed that we saw similar ugly trends from years past.

I'm dissappointed that the team still played down to the competition.

I'm dissappointed that the playcalling seemed stale and conservative at times, and then just totally wacky at others.

I'm dissappointed that, IMO, adjustments were'nt made at times during games that needed to be made.

These were complaints I had with the previous regime, and to see them resurface with Tomlin is alittle unsettling to me. The team had problems with the O-line all season. I have stated many times that not all the blame can be put on the O-line. I'm sure many of you would join me in saying the team needs a new line coach. Also many have stated there are ways to keep the pressure off the QB by running screens or quick slants. I don't understand how between the O-line coach and the OC that you do not identify your weaknesses and gameplan accordingly. You need to hold Tomlin responsible for the lack of communication between the coordinators and the rest of the coaching staff.

I guess I just never saw the growth that I expected to see from the entire team, coaches and all. The Anthony Smith fiasco before the Pats game showed me that maybe Tomlin is not in control of his lockerroom. The questions about who the real MVP was do nothing to reassure me of that. I just want to actually see what was taken from 'the journey' that was the 2007 season.

Once again, I will wait and see what moves are made in the off season and if Tomlin learned from his mistakes this year.

My grade B

TackleMeBen
01-08-2008, 01:19 PM
at least they got the petrino one right.......lol... F

19ward86
01-08-2008, 02:15 PM
billechect or however you spell his name is an overrated coach to me, im about to pull off some sarcasm, hold on here it comes......WOWEE how can bill go 16-0 with that horrible defense and horrible QB with that awfully slow reciever who has no height advantage whatsoever, WOW...how can bill win 3 soup bowls with no big name players on defense and no offens??? he is the best coach ever...ummm NO! teams in the 70's like the steelers dominated with great players but most came through the draft and everyone had an unlimited amount of spending cash, not unlimited but you know.

Counselor
01-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Tomlin's B+ sounds about right to me.

Haiku_Dirtt
01-08-2008, 02:34 PM
I am dissappointed however at how we ended the season. I understand and appreciate the fact that we had several key injuries.

These were complaints I had with the previous regime, and to see them resurface with Tomlin is alittle unsettling to me.
My grade B

And the least spoken topic of this past season...Was it just money that made Cowher 'jump ship'? Or did he know damn well that the 'hits' to his legacy after two losing seasons after winning the Big One would complicate a salary worth over $5 million a season?

Essentially one could make a case that Tomlin did more with less than the esteemed BC. :hunch: He gets an A from me as a rookie head coach.

atlsteelers
01-09-2008, 11:03 AM
i would grade tomlin a C-
expressed desire to improve special teams - they could have been worse this year than last.
Inability to finish close games - the team fought back many times but they lost all of them expcept cleveland game #2
I think he choked in the playoff game. This team just won a superbowl two years ago - granted cowher did not take the team to the playoffs last season but the franchise qb could not stay off of his bike

As far the Whiz goes in the desert B+
He takes over a team that has not won in decades and milks a .500 record out of them. Without question this team has talent questions, he has this team going in the right direction

Counselor
01-09-2008, 11:38 AM
i would grade tomlin a C-
expressed desire to improve special teams - they could have been worse this year than last.
Inability to finish close games - the team fought back many times but they lost all of them expcept cleveland game #2
I think he choked in the playoff game. This team just won a superbowl two years ago - granted cowher did not take the team to the playoffs last season but the franchise qb could not stay off of his bike

As far the Whiz goes in the desert B+
He takes over a team that has not won in decades and milks a .500 record out of them. Without question this team has talent questions, he has this team going in the right direction

Special teams held onto the ball better than last year . . . as for the coverages and blocking? The players have to execute.

Inability to finish close games? You could also say those games showed he could get hisa team back into games in the second half. Everyone of those games we were down in the first half, came back to tie or take the lead, and the game came down to the defense not making a key stop. Again---execution.

Choked in the playoff game? what are you talking about? Did he throw three interceptions? No? But he made the half-time adjustments to get the team to come back from an 18 point deficit. Maybe there were a couple of questionable calls (but hind sight is 20/20---if they had worked, he's be called a genius.) I think "choked" is a little harsh.

This team won the superbowl 2 years ago on a hot streak. Motorcylce or no morotcycle, 2006 team wasn't getting another one---not with the overall attitude of coaches and team that year.

As for Whiz---he got 8 wins. . . 2 against the Rams, and then beat the Seahawks, Bowns, Bengals, Steelers, Falcons, Lions. Basically he beat weak teams, and went 3-1against our division (which he knows like the back of his hand). The only exception is the Seahawks---a divisional rival. He also lost to a lot if weak teams: Panthers, Saints, 49ers twice, Ravens.

I don't see how you can give Whiz a B+ and Tomlin a C- based on that.

atlsteelers
01-09-2008, 12:01 PM
As for Whiz---he got 8 wins. . . 2 against the Rams, and then beat the Seahawks, Bowns, Bengals, Steelers, Falcons, Lions. Basically he beat weak teams, and went 3-1against our division (which he knows like the back of his hand). The only exception is the Seahawks---a divisional rival. He also lost to a lot if weak teams: Panthers, Saints, 49ers twice, Ravens.

I don't see how you can give Whiz a B+ and Tomlin a C- based on that.

You could also argue that Tomlin lost to weak teams - can you spell J-E-T-S - jets. he split the series with the ravens, lost to the broncos, and those cardinals. He also only beat two teams with winning records the browns and seatle and finished the seaon on a 1-5 stint. After starting the season 3-0 the tomlin went 7-7.

I think given the talent the whiz out coached tomlin and i think its a fair comparasion. Tomlin steped into a golden situation, stable franchise, good owner, compentent front office, and lots of talent. The whiz however took over the cardinals - enough said -

Dino 6 Rings
01-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Broncos were picked by most to make the playoffs this season. We shouldn't have been cute in that game and should have ran the ball early and often but we didnt', that one goes on Arians and Tomlin for agreeing to the game plan. The Cards, knew us too well and Wiz was in Ben's head from the first snap. The Jets loss was on Tomlin for the lack of focus that week, and the over look. The Pats loss, we got out played. Ravens loss, yeah, Charlie Batch at QB and most starters playing to not get hurt. And it was still a very tight game at the end. The Jags got us twice because of bad play by us and lack of focus after the Pats game.

I do agree with the B+ assessment. He improved us over last year's 8-8, got us into the playoffs with 4 starters out for the year including DE, RB, Safetey and LT. It was a close game, but ST and Turnovers let us down. Not coaching. He wins that game, he gets an A-. Next season My expectations have been set, to see further improvement. 12 win season, another home Playoff game in the first round at least and a win at home in the playoffs Please. I expect Round II or Deeper next season. Anything else will be a let down.

(Oh, if Ben, Ward, Willie and Troy all suffer some catastrophic problem before or in the early 08 season, I will allow for an 8-8 season)

Counselor
01-09-2008, 02:15 PM
You could also argue that Tomlin lost to weak teams - can you spell J-E-T-S - jets. he split the series with the ravens, lost to the broncos, and those cardinals. He also only beat two teams with winning records the browns and seatle and finished the seaon on a 1-5 stint. After starting the season 3-0 the tomlin went 7-7.

I think given the talent the whiz out coached tomlin and i think its a fair comparasion. Tomlin steped into a golden situation, stable franchise, good owner, compentent front office, and lots of talent. The whiz however took over the cardinals - enough said -

I don't disagree that we lost games we shouldn't have lost. My point is, as much as we'd all like to think that we have a very talented team---we also have a lot of holes.

Both Tomlin and Whiz inherit teams with lots of talent and lots of holes ( Arizona has talent: think James, Fitgerald, Boldin, Warner, Breaston, (the safety---can't remember his name).
Tomlin improved an 8-8 team to 10-6 (+2 games). Whiz improved a 5-11 team to 8-8(+3 games). I think Whiz did a great job, but based on the outcomes, I don't see how you can say he was heads and shoulders above Tomlin. But that's just MHO.

Jeremy
01-09-2008, 02:19 PM
C+

The struggles at the end of the season took the shine off what was an otherwise awesome rookie season.

atlsteelers
01-10-2008, 08:46 AM
I don't disagree that we lost games we shouldn't have lost. My point is, as much as we'd all like to think that we have a very talented team---we also have a lot of holes.

Both Tomlin and Whiz inherit teams with lots of talent and lots of holes ( Arizona has talent: think James, Fitgerald, Boldin, Warner, Breaston, (the safety---can't remember his name).
Tomlin improved an 8-8 team to 10-6 (+2 games). Whiz improved a 5-11 team to 8-8(+3 games). I think Whiz did a great job, but based on the outcomes, I don't see how you can say he was heads and shoulders above Tomlin. But that's just MHO.

I still consider the job that the whiz did was head and shoulders above tomlin's. The whiz has some talent out in the desert in the wideouts and that safety/corner (i can not think of his name right now). But he steped into a franchise with a looser mentalilty and changed it. Thats why i was so impressed with him.

i still have faith in Tomlin, I hope that he can rebound from the poor showing in the last half of the season. Hopefully, he gets the special teams turned around and drafts some studs. But i was disappointed in his overall coaching performance. Hey i am one those folks who thought cowher would never win a superbowl based on how conservative he got in some of the playoff games. so i really, really hope that tomlin turns out to be our coach for the next 20 years, with multiple championships.