PDA

View Full Version : I can see it now...

Edman
01-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Sooner or later, the Steelers are going to let go of somebody this offseason, and of course, the media is going to say we're going to miss this guy dearly. This guy is likely going to be Faneca, who is way past his prime and made the Pro Bowl on past reputation alone. Opposing teams' fans are already saying it now.

Then, watch the media blow this departure out of proportion, saying the Steelers are on the fall. Cleveland, this year's media darling, will be the favorite to win the division on paper.

Then theres Free Agency. The Steelers once again go after their singular guy. Steeler fans do their annual tradition of whining about how the Front Office doesn't do anything.

Then watching the Bucs struggle for .500 for the 16th Straight Summer...

Ah, the offseason.

fansince'76
01-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Then theres Free Agency. The Steelers once again go after their singular guy. Steeler fans do their annual tradition of whining about how the Front Office doesn't do anything.

Don't forget, "the Rooneys are cheap!" :blah: :blah: :blah:

TackleMeBen
01-08-2008, 12:55 PM

they wont be cheap anymore.. they will be broke after re-signing ben to his new contract.:flap:

Stu Pidasso
01-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Hope he doesn't ask for too much. The Rooneys don't play that...

BlastFurnace
01-08-2008, 01:03 PM
The media seems to find every single reason in the world every offseason as to what we are doing wrong.

I can't even listen to the Nationally aired ESPN shows or any show hosted by Dick Eisen on the NFL Network any longer. I am always amazed as to how people can get on television or the radio and it appears that they gain all their knowledge by reading the USA Today's sports section.

I gain more insight about my favorite teams from good message boards where true insiders of the team actually reside or from listening online to Junker & Crowe (spelling) in the morning. Jim Wexell, Dale Lolley, and Ed Bouchette are great sources of information about the team. Bouchette's stuff is free as is the radio information. Dale Lolley has a great blog out there that gives good information and Wexell hangs out on another message board from time to time.

Other than Sports Center, nationally aired ESPN really stinks. I stopped listening to them after we won SB XL. They are biased and...although they deny it...they push their own agenda.

Rhee Rhee
01-08-2008, 01:46 PM

very, very cheap

fansince'76
01-08-2008, 01:55 PM
very, very cheap

Rest my case. :coffee:

TackleMeBen
01-08-2008, 02:12 PM
very, very cheap

i dont they are cheap. they are responsible with their money. and if most americans would be that way there probably wouldnt be poor or middle class people...lol

Counselor
01-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Rooneys pay for value, and Ben is value. He'll get the fat new contract he deserves.

Steelerfreak58
01-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Yeah they are so cheap that is why they are always just under the salary cap year in and year out...

19ward86
01-08-2008, 03:19 PM
other teams FANS?? who cares what other teams fans say about our players, we have a winning tradition and alan faneca was great this year, but 1 guy does not make up the line. i dont want to hear that faneca is past his prime because he is 31 and the day a Olineman is past his prime at 31 is the day i will do nothing because i dont make garuntees but u see my point.

jjpro11
01-08-2008, 03:31 PM
of course your going to hear about faneca.. you heard them talk about that situation in the telecast during every other game already.

SteelersHoss
01-08-2008, 03:33 PM
i dont they are cheap. they are responsible with their money. and if most americans would be that way there probably wouldnt be poor or middle class people...lol

Exactly, they spend their money wisely. Getting rid of Porter for Harrison, cheapo, sure, but it turned out good. or sorry Great.

Haiku_Dirtt
01-08-2008, 03:43 PM
nationally aired ESPN really stinks. I stopped listening to them after we won SB XL..

FREAKIN' HORRIBLE. And if Sean Salisbury never went to USC then we would never have to hear his opinion. :blah:

Haiku_Dirtt
01-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Exactly, they spend their money wisely. Getting rid of Porter for Harrison, cheapo, sure, but it turned out good. or sorry Great.

Memo to Steeler fans. Expect an organic rebuild of the offensive line with the same patience and prudence.

Painfully :snail: At least Ben is still very young.

Dino 6 Rings
01-08-2008, 05:49 PM
That stupid guard from Seattle getting signed last year for WAY TOO MUCH money by the 9ers ruined our chances at Faneca. He set the bar way to high and some moron will end up paying a great deal more then they should for Faneca. The guy is a great gaurd, but the money he is going to be seeking and will most likely get is just way out of proportion to what we have traditionally spent on our players. Plus, Imagine what we'd have to spend on Ben if we did meet Alan's price. "Hello guys, franchise QB here...what are you paying Alan...yeah...lets negotiate."

Seriously...that just isn't a financial situation we want to deal with.

LVSteelersfan
01-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Do you honestly think Alan Faneca played that well this year to even consider keeping him for the kind of money he will be looking for? He looked like he took off about every 2nd or 3rd play to me. Good riddance if you ask me. The Steelers obviously have to do a major rebuilding of the O-line (Essex TOTALLY blew that 3rd and 7 play in the last game) and keeping Faneca for a high price will not help matters with the salary cap or the new BR contract. I agree we may be in for a major rebuilding project on the O-line and it could very possibly take more than a year or two to do it. It takes awhile for rookies to learn and for an O-line to learn to work together.

SteelDogFan
01-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Faneca past his prime is another guard hitting his peek. He's the glue for the O-line we all know it. I will say that they should not pay him high dollars fo just a year or two. It would be better to get someone through free agency for 4-5 years. I do hope the sign him though.

TheMightyEx
01-09-2008, 12:31 AM
Then watching the Bucs struggle for .500 for the 16th Straight Summer...

Thats your problem: you watch the Pirates. Buy a bowflex instead. its a better use of money.

Preacher
01-09-2008, 01:22 AM
Faneca past his prime is another guard hitting his peek. He's the glue for the O-line we all know it. I will say that they should not pay him high dollars fo just a year or two. It would be better to get someone through free agency for 4-5 years. I do hope the sign him though.

really?

If a guard hitting his peak is allowing 2 to 3 sacks in a playoff game... then I don't want any of those guards. I have watched him specifically this year because of what has been going on... and I have not been impressed AT ALL.

Even if he is available, I dont want him.

Glue for the oline? really? You mean that glue that rip on ownership? That glue that through our QB under the bus a few years ago? No thank you.

CASTEEL
01-09-2008, 02:17 AM
They are cheap - they could at least hire some cheerleaders....

:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

rpv
01-09-2008, 01:32 PM
FREAKIN' HORRIBLE. And if Sean Salisbury never went to USC then we would never have to hear his opinion. :blah:

The national media have a few favourite teams like the PATS. Everything revolves around them. The only national show I listen too is Mike and Mike. They seem to be quite impartial.

Dino 6 Rings
01-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Glue for the oline? really? You mean that glue that rip on ownership? That glue that through our QB under the bus a few years ago? No thank you.

I agree. He played down all year, and I think he was "showing off" for Cleveland cause he kept getting falst starts against them in both games. Seriously...the guy let me down this year. I'd love it if he had a change of heart, took Real money instead of the ungodly number he is going to "expect" and then worked in the off season to get into true pro bowl form again, but if not, hope he enjoys being on a team not making the playoffs next season. Just like Porter.

Vrabel and Woodson are the only Steelers I can think of that actually went to a different team and got a ring.

BlastFurnace
01-09-2008, 01:54 PM
I agree. He played down all year, and I think he was "showing off" for Cleveland cause he kept getting falst starts against them in both games. Seriously...the guy let me down this year. I'd love it if he had a change of heart, took Real money instead of the ungodly number he is going to "expect" and then worked in the off season to get into true pro bowl form again, but if not, hope he enjoys being on a team not making the playoffs next season. Just like Porter.

Vrabel and Woodson are the only Steelers I can think of that actually went to a different team and got a ring.

Charles Johnson - Patriots 2001
Josh Miller - Patriots 2004
Hank Poteat - Patriots 2004
Rodney Bailey - Patriots 2004

drizze99
01-09-2008, 02:01 PM
That stupid guard from Seattle getting signed last year for WAY TOO MUCH money by the 9ers ruined our chances at Faneca. He set the bar way to high and some moron will end up paying a great deal more then they should for Faneca. The guy is a great gaurd, but the money he is going to be seeking and will most likely get is just way out of proportion to what we have traditionally spent on our players. Plus, Imagine what we'd have to spend on Ben if we did meet Alan's price. "Hello guys, franchise QB here...what are you paying Alan...yeah...lets negotiate."

Seriously...that just isn't a financial situation we want to deal with.

That stupid guard would be Hutchinson and he signed with the Vikings, not the 9ers.

Sorry, but Faneca is NOT worth the money period. He is past his prime and can not pass block to save his life. He is one dimensional...

TackleMeBen
01-09-2008, 02:06 PM
They are cheap - they could at least hire some cheerleaders....

:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

who needs cheerleaders when we have got steely mcbeam:wink02::sofunny: