PDA

View Full Version : Ed.B. of P-G - Final Chat Observations

Atlanta Dan
01-08-2008, 03:09 PM
These thoughts today from Ed.B. of the P-G in his final online chat of the season:

Would be surprised if a coach gets fired, and would think Faneca and Haggans and perhaps Max Starks will leave as free agents.

Goodbye Alan Faneca, hello Chris K.

Woodley probably will start next season He needs to buckle down and learn the defense so he does not make as many mental errors.

Timmons will compete with Foote for a starter's job

Marvel Smith's back injury was corrected by minor back surgery. He'll be fine.

Essex played well in his last two games. They'll try to re-sign Starks, but that's touch-and-go.

Have to do something to shore up the center position. Does not know if Simmons can play there or not.

Did the OL miss the expertise of Russ Grimm and how will Tomlin address for next year? Ed thinks there was a period of adjustment to a new coach. But says remember this: Ben was sacked 47 times this year, 46 last year. IMO Ed.B. is not a big Grimm fan

Stop thinking free agency, at least as it pertains to the big-name, big-price people. They have a QB to pay.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08008/847616-66.stm

fansince'76
01-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Stop thinking free agency, at least as it pertains to the big-name, big-price people.

Never started, as it's not the Steelers way. Just because the coaching staff has changed doesn't mean the ownership has.

Atlanta Dan
01-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Never started, as it's not the Steelers way. Just because the coaching staff has changed doesn't mean the ownership has.

Ed.B. of course knows that - it was in response to a question about going after a top OL FA - another questioner asked if the Steelers were going to have Albert Haynsworth next to Hampton next season:dang:[

fansince'76
01-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Ed.B. of course knows that - it was in response to a question about going after a top OL FA - another questioner asked if the Steelers were going to have Albert Haynsworth next to Hampton next season:dang:

I think the :dang: is more appropriate for the questioner then. How long have they been following the Steelers? Since September?

Atlanta Dan
01-08-2008, 03:22 PM
I think the :dang: is more appropriate for the questioner then. How long have they been following the Steelers? Since September?

That was my intent - certainly not directed at you or Ed.B.:smile:

jjpro11
01-08-2008, 03:28 PM
i want to see the special teams coach fired.. there is no excuse for the special teams to be that bad in the pros. they were not disciplined, got out of their lanes and ran right out of the play. coaching is supposed to fix that.

Haiku_Dirtt
01-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Marvel Smith's back injury was corrected by minor back surgery. He'll be fine.

Essex played well in his last two games. They'll try to re-sign Starks, but that's touch-and-go.

not a big Grimm fan

Stop thinking free agency, at least as it pertains to the big-name, big-price people. They have a QB to pay.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08008/847616-66.stm

Minor back surgery eh? Are they implying that his poor performance this season was the result of a relatively undisclosed injury ? If this is true then this will be the best Steeler news of the year to date - now 8 days in. I'm doubtful.

Resign Starks? If I can only say something positive then Max is really really big and has a seemingly really sweet mother. Did I say Max is big?

I'm not a Grimm fan either.

mopit55
01-08-2008, 04:27 PM
A BACK PROBLEM IS NOT GOOD TO PLAY AT 80-100% ALL OF THE SEASON SO MARVEL WILL PLAY BUT SECONDARY OF MAX STARKS I HOPEIF HE STAY.

Galax Steeler
01-09-2008, 04:46 AM
i want to see the special teams coach fired.. there is no excuse for the special teams to be that bad in the pros. they were not disciplined, got out of their lanes and ran right out of the play. coaching is supposed to fix that.

I absolutly agree on this one I think special teams coach needs to go.

HometownGal
01-09-2008, 07:40 AM

I agree - he needs to take a hike. Sure would be great if we could get Bobby April back! :thumbsup: We haven't had a decent ST since he left.

Rhee Rhee
01-10-2008, 01:25 AM
I agree - he needs to take a hike. Sure would be great if we could get Bobby April back! :thumbsup: We haven't had a decent ST since he left.

bobby april... i havent heard that name in a LONG time... lol