PDA

View Full Version : Sure....there's no racism left in America.

Jeremy
01-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Dumb White People (http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1701417,00.html)

revefsreleets
01-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Jesus, dude, the odds are that chick didn't even know what "lynching" meant. This isn't "dumb white people" it's much more "Hypersensitive America".

fansince'76
01-09-2008, 09:01 PM
What some folks consider "racism," others consider "hypersensitive political correctness."

revefsreleets
01-09-2008, 09:05 PM
So that means you think she meant what she said, that Tiger, because of his skin color, should be hung from a tree? In the most literal sense?

fansince'76
01-09-2008, 09:13 PM
So that means you think she meant what she said, that Tiger, because of his skin color, should be hung from a tree? In the most literal sense?

Me? Hell no! I'm personally of the opinion that this is just another example of "hypersensitive political correctness."

revefsreleets
01-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Oh. OK. Wasn't sure...it almost sounded like...well, nevermind then.

83-Steelers-43
01-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Badly worded? Yes.

Intended racial hatred? I don't think so.

I'm sure Al Sharpton will get this all cleared up. :thumbsup:

ShutDown24
01-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Jesus, dude, the odds are that chick didn't even know what "lynching" meant. This isn't "dumb white people" it's much more "Hypersensitive America".

FOR SURE. I am not saying racism isn't a problem, I have lived with it. But every time one borderline comment is made it gets COMPLETELY blown out of proportion. Case in point: Arthur Blank's fried chicken comment... Give me a fricking break.

lilyoder6
01-09-2008, 10:25 PM
i think this is being blown out of proportion.... if is was a black person they would have said boo-hoo.. and went on with it...

Jeremy
01-10-2008, 08:46 AM

If that's true, it's one of the sadder things I've ever read.

But this isn't the first time someone in the golf community has made racist comments against Tiger. Remember Fuzzy Zoeller?

revefsreleets
01-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Zoeller was trying to be funny, but he just came off as being a douche. I'm sure this airhead was just riffing and used words she didn't understand.

Jeremy
01-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Zoeller was trying to be funny, but he just came off as being a douche. I'm sure this airhead was just riffing and used words she didn't understand.

Then that's just sad.

But I don't think it was just some airhead using words she didn't understand. I don't think I've ever heard anyone use that term when it comes to slowing someone down in athletics.

X-Terminator
01-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Lynching in general = not racist
Lynching when talking about a black person = racist

Just making sure everyone here understands.

Seriously though, she should have known better than that. It was just stupid to use that term when referring to a black person. Whether we want to sweep it under the rug and call it "PC run amok," it still references a dark period in our nation's history, and black people are going to be sensitive to it. At any rate, Tiger didn't blow it out of proportion, they talked it out and she received her punishment, so the matter should be closed.

Al Sharpton is still a douche though.

TackleMeBen
01-10-2008, 10:04 AM
[quote=X-Terminator;354732]Lynching in general = not racist
Lynching when talking about a black person = racist

Just making sure everyone here understands.

Seriously though, she should have known better than that. It was just stupid to use that term when referring to a black person. Whether we want to sweep it under the rug and call it "PC run amok," it still references a dark period in our nation's history, and black people are going to be sensitive to it. At any rate, Tiger didn't blow it out of proportion, they talked it out and she received her punishment, so the matter should be closed.
[quote]
:iagree: as long as the two people involved in the situation have it cleared up it shouldnt matter. but the media will remind us all golf season about this i am sure.

ShutDown24
01-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Dumb White People (http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1701417,00.html)

You know what, racism sucks - You know what sucks worse; hypocritical racism. So you are against it? Real fricking nice link title, "Dumb white people". Change white to black and you’re being bashed for those three words right now, you wouldn't live them down. So by your standards, you are a racist. And there lies an almost equally problematic trait of our people. It is only 'racist' if it pertains to blacks - and I'm fed up with that.

lilyoder6
01-10-2008, 11:22 AM
it's was like when the miss ameria women was talking about maps and stuff like that in her chat... they aren't as smart as we are.. lol

83-Steelers-43
01-10-2008, 11:35 AM
it's was like when the miss ameria women was talking about maps and stuff like that

And "the Iraq" and "such".....:sofunny:

To this day I still find that clip both painful and funny to watch.

Jeremy
01-10-2008, 06:47 PM
You know what, racism sucks - You know what sucks worse; hypocritical racism. So you are against it? Real fricking nice link title, "Dumb white people". Change white to black and you?re being bashed for those three words right now, you wouldn't live them down. So by your standards, you are a racist. And there lies an almost equally problematic trait of our people. It is only 'racist' if it pertains to blacks - and I'm fed up with that.

LOL

If that's what you think then you've lead a very sheltered life.

Elvis
01-12-2008, 04:58 AM
:coffee: I think that Tigers' response says all that matters...
So, dont be ditching on all white people. I work with several black folks that are awesome people and good friends that I would have dinner with at my house any day. I was raised in a town that had no blacks, but my parents always raised me to respect everyone. Now, if that makes a dumb white person, what does that make you?... No offense meant here but I have no problem no one, doesnt matter color a person is on the outside... what matters is if your a decent person or a slug or a lazy person or a hardworking man/woman that supports the family as you are supposed to. God loves everyone and we are supposed to show that kind of love as well.
:thumbsup:
:hug:

Jeremy
01-12-2008, 09:46 AM
:coffee: I think that Tigers' response says all that matters...
So, dont be ditching on all white people. I work with several black folks that are awesome people and good friends that I would have dinner with at my house any day. I was raised in a town that had no blacks, but my parents always raised me to respect everyone. Now, if that makes a dumb white person, what does that make you?... No offense meant here but I have no problem no one, doesnt matter color a person is on the outside... what matters is if your a decent person or a slug or a lazy person or a hardworking man/woman that supports the family as you are supposed to. God loves everyone and we are supposed to show that kind of love as well.
:thumbsup:

I had a longer reply typed out, but thought better of it. I'm just going to go ahead and add you to my ignoire list because I hate being preached at.

X-Terminator
01-12-2008, 01:50 PM
LOL

If that's what you think then you've lead a very sheltered life.

He's correct to the extent that the overly sensitive, "looking for any reason to cry racism" black people, of which there are FAR too many, would take offense if the title said "Dumb Black People." I personally would not - it's just silly to get your panties in a bunch over that. It isn't worth it. I'd rather deal with REAL racism rather than "manufactured" racism.

Jeremy
01-12-2008, 02:04 PM
He's correct to the extent that the overly sensitive, "looking for any reason to cry racism" black people, of which there are FAR too many, would take offense if the title said "Dumb Black People." I personally would not - it's just silly to get your panties in a bunch over that. It isn't worth it. I'd rather deal with REAL racism rather than "manufactured" racism.

Maybe, but to totally ignore this as nothing shows that people would still rather bury their heads in the sand when it comes to race relations in America.

What she said was wrong, not as wrong as some things, but still wrong. If you believe in "Broken Windows Policing" then this is one of those incidents where you can make a stand and let people know that certain things are just not right.

Preacher
01-12-2008, 07:38 PM
To make a comment BASED on race, in order to degrade that race, is absolutely racist.

To make a backhanded complement, which brings race into account in a negative way... Isn't racist in the way defined above... It is just plain stupid for all the pain it causes and memories it brings up.

(backhanded compliment... the only way to stop him from winning is to kill him, he is that good, which was the intent of the comment I believe).

Well... the offseason has officially arrived as our yearly "What is racism" thread has been started.

Preacher
01-12-2008, 07:45 PM
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=12582&highlight=racism

Pre-post season thread! Getting us ready!

Steeler in Carolina
01-12-2008, 08:02 PM
This is what drives me crazy about America. We live in the land of the offended.

Preacher
01-12-2008, 09:45 PM
This is what drives me crazy about America. We live in the land of the offended.

I agree. Hey, there are reasons to be truly offended... making a joke that reflects deep racial issues... I can see being offended.....

But it does seem that everyone is LOOKING For reasons to be offended... of course.. except for certain people.... I guess they are not ALLOWED to be offended.

Rhee Rhee
01-13-2008, 04:28 AM
I'm sure Al Sharpton will get this all cleared up. :thumbsup:

the reverend!!!

Elvis
01-13-2008, 07:35 AM
I had a longer reply typed out, but thought better of it. I'm just going to go ahead and add you to my ignoire list because I hate being preached at.
I have stepped on your toes it sounds like... so ... are you racist?
I am truly sorry if I have come across that way to you and anyone else. I am just here to give my opinion just like everyone else. I hate racism... Jesus says " love thy neighbor" I am trying to do that. Whether the person is black or hispanic or whatever race... I still love you. I have never thought of anyone being any different in color, we are just from different parts of the world. We all have came from Adam and Eve, so we are all really kin to each other in that way. Now, before I offend someone..... this is Just My Opinion... I know everyone is different and thats ok...