PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin plans to bring entire staff back

Atlanta Dan
01-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Mike Tomlin said at his final news conference of the season that he plans to bring his entire coaching staff back for the 2008 season.
The Steelers' struggled along the offensive line and on special teams, leading to speculation that Tomlin might make some changes.

"At this point my intention is to keep the staff intact," Tomlin said today at the Steelers' South Side practice facility. "Generally I'm pleased with our staff."

The Steelers' special teams were a problem all season, and Tomlin said he will "leave no stone unturned" in turning the unit into a "great" one.

Tomlin said special teams had been one of his biggest concerns because the Steelers had lost "core" guys such as Sean Morey, Mike Logan and James Harrison from previous years.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_546854.html

Of course STs were horrible prior to the loss of the "core guys" - blaming the ST problems on loss of personnel is a cop out

I suppose one lesson they teach in Mangement 101 is that if the boss fires someone after their first year on the job some may say the boss screwed up by hiring them in the first place - maybe heads roll only if next year does not go well and Tomlin needs to sacrifice someone to deflect balme from him

Another puzzling decision if "leaving no stone unturned" means bringing back the Titanic's navigator for another cruise.

Counselor
01-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Of course STs were horrible prior to the loss of the "core guys" - blaming the ST problems on loss of personnel is a cop out

I suppose one lesson they teach in Mangement 101 is that if the boss fires someone after their first year on the job some may say the boss screwed up by hiring them in the first place - maybe heads roll only if next year does not go well and Tomlin needs to sacrifice someone to deflect balme from him

Another puzzling decision if "leaving no stone unturned" means bringing back the Titanic's navigator for another cruise.

ST LAST YEAR was horrible because our returners fumbled every ball that came their way, and we didn't get much in the way of return yards.

ST THIS YEAR was horrible because we couldn't tackle the guy with the ball and we didn't get much in the way of return yards.

So, the loss of those "core" guys on the coverage team from last year to this year is not a cop out---its a fact. The only consistent problem over two years was no big returns---which can be attributed equally to the returner, the coaches, and the blockers.
ST coaches were the ones that I thought might go, but I can't say I'm suprised they didn't. Hell Cowher's teams were rarely special teams stalwarts---and that was his specialty. We can only pray they improve next year.

TackleMeBen
01-10-2008, 01:05 PM
well it cant get no worse....or can it???:banging::banging:

fansince'76
01-10-2008, 01:07 PM
well it cant get no worse....or can it???:banging::banging:

Yep, 10-6 and a playoff berth really blows, especially after the wonderful 8-8 train wreck last season. The only one I'm truly disappointed to see Tomlin bringing back is Ligashesky, and like Counselor said, we can only pray that the STs improve next year. :hope:

Preacher
01-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Yep, 10-6 and a playoff berth really blows, especially after the wonderful 8-8 train wreck last season.

Sorry FS... on this one I gotta agree with her...

I am HORRIFIED everytime we have to kick off. We had a great season, but outside of our O line, I think this is our greatest glaring weakness.

Rhee Rhee
01-10-2008, 01:12 PM
patience is a virtue... and obviously the rooneys and tomlin have many virtues.

TackleMeBen
01-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Yep, 10-6 and a playoff berth really blows, especially after the wonderful 8-8 train wreck last season. The only one I'm truly disappointed to see Tomlin bringing back is Ligashesky, and like Counselor said, we can only pray that the STs improve next year. :hope:

76, i was just talking about ST. i am thrilled that ben came back with vengence and that we made the playoffs and were 10-6. i was expecting 8-8 again with a new headcoach. sorry for the misunderstanding

fansince'76
01-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Sorry FS... on this one I gotta agree with her...

I am HORRIFIED everytime we have to kick off. We had a great season, but outside of our O line, I think this is our greatest glaring weakness.

Yep, if the context of the comment was the STs, I agree - but I've seen more than one comment here in the last week that the entire season was an utter abject failure from every conceivable perspective, a viewpoint I strongly disagree with, especially in light of the 2006 season.

TackleMeBen
01-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Yep, if the context of the comment was the STs, I agree - but I've seen more than one comment here in the last week that the entire season was an utter abject failure from every conceivable perspective, a viewpoint I strongly disagree with, especially in light of the 2006 season.

no the entire season wasnt a failure.. the ST yes, Oline play, yes.. but we cant help injuries and having to put in 3rd stringers b/c others are hurt. i was thrilled with the majority of the season.. (although that jet lost killed me.....)

ShutDown24
01-10-2008, 01:40 PM
[I]

That is definatley why the staff is staying... Great deducing there... What is the one word you tihnk of when I say Steelers managment? Because it should be stability. Firing an assistant coach after one season is almost as bad as firing a head coach after his first.

FourThreeMafia
01-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Im not a fan of firing coaches unless it really calls for it.

Ligashesky NEEDS to be canned. There is no way around it.

Special teams this year look like they had no coaching whatsoever.

fansince'76
01-10-2008, 02:06 PM

Maybe, but I don't see it that way. If the team truly underperforms next year, Tomlin WILL hear about it as far as the fans and local Pittsburgh media go regardless - look at some of the posts and articles linked on this very board this year as proof of that. Thankfully, the Rooneys possess the kind of patience that a good 90%+ of the rest of the NFL owners don't have (the only owners I can think of that come close to having the kind of patience the Rooneys have are Bowlen here in Denver and the Panthers' Richardson) and won't fire anybody as a result of knee-jerk overreaction.

Atlanta Dan
01-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Thankfully, the Rooneys possess the kind of patience that a good 90%+ of the rest of the NFL owners don't have and won't fire anybody as a result of knee-jerk overreaction.

I always got the impression part of the Rooneys patience includes not micro-managing & letting the HC decide who stays and goes on his staff

Cowher had a quick trigger finger to dispatch assistants (1993/Erhardt to keep Gailey/Sherman/Gilbride/Lewis) when he was displeased & I assume those were his calls and not the Rooneys.

Part of it may be Tomlin is new at this and is reluctant to fire an assistant while not wanting to develop a rep around the league as quickly blaming assistants since when you fire somene you need to replace 'em.

Preacher
01-10-2008, 02:19 PM

Ding ding...

I agree whole-heartedly... with the entire sentiment.

This was a pretty good season, with two glaring failures, and one disappointment. In order, those are, ST, O line and Run D. Interestingly, both O line and Run donly showed their head in the second half, which is why I wonder if it has something to do with training camp. I loved the attitude going into camp. I just hope there is a balance that we can strike.

ST... Notice how we got better in certain parts... including punting and (I beleive), covering punts. The issue was on kickoffs. Maybe they are taking it step by step. Let's hope.

fansince'76
01-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Cowher had a quick trigger finger to dispatch assistants (1993/Erhardt to keep Gailey/Sherman/Gilbride/Lewis) when he was displeased & I assume those were his calls and not the Rooneys.

Part of it may be Tomlin is new at this and is reluctant to fire an assistant while not wanting to develop a rep around the league as quickly blaming assistants since when you fire somene you need to replace 'em.

Very good point and great contrast - one I hadn't considered before - maybe Cowher missed opportunities at getting assistants he preferred later on in his tenure in Pittsburgh due to his quick trigger finger(?) Very possibly Tomlin wants to avoid that himself(?)

TackleMeBen
01-10-2008, 02:25 PM
i am sure coach tomlin knows what he is doing. however if ST doesnt improve next seaon then the ST coach needs to be let go...i am willing to give them another year together to learn each others style of coaching. Or I will have to get out my wok, and wok someone up side the head with it.lol

Preacher
01-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Very good point and great contrast - one I hadn't considered before - maybe Cowher missed opportunities at getting assistants he preferred later on in his tenure in Pittsburgh due to his quick trigger finger(?) Very possibly Tomlin wants to avoid that himself(?)

(second try at posting this)

With the family that is the Steelers, I wouldn't be surprised if Cowher handed down a few gems of advice to Tomlin when he left.

Atlanta Dan
01-10-2008, 02:53 PM

Cowher had a rep of being pure hell to work for in the mid-1990s before he was humbled by his late 1990s rebuilding period

The best ST coach the Steelers had was Bobby April and he allegedly took a lateral move to another ST position to get away & Coach Dad left the Steelers D coordinator position to be D coodrinator with the Bengals (under Coslet?) when the Bengals were in characteristic train wreck mode and the Steelers were playoff contenders. Given their relationship, LeBeau coming back in 2004 was asurprise to some.

IMO what kept coaches coming to work for Cowher was that his top assistants (Capers, Haslet, Gailey, Mularkey) regularly got HC positions

Atlanta Dan
01-10-2008, 02:55 PM
(second try at posting this)

With the family that is the Steelers, I wouldn't be surprised if Cowher handed down a few gems of advice to Tomlin when he left.

If it is a family then Cowher is Fredo - Cowher stuck the knife in on the 3rd and 6 Ben bootleg call on CBS on Sunday

Dynasty
01-10-2008, 08:20 PM
By saying what?

Atlanta Dan
01-10-2008, 08:25 PM
By saying what?

Former coach Bill Cowher is among those questioning the Steelers' play-calling during their 31-29 wild-card playoff loss to Jacksonville, a game that featured a frantic Pittsburgh comeback but also some debatable play calls during a wild fourth quarter....

"When you look at this game, they (the Steelers) came back from 18 points down, get to a one-point lead ... third down and six ? a first down and you win the game ? and they run a quarterback sweep with Ben," Cowher said, with an incredulous tone, during CBS' "The NFL Today" show Sunday.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22545098/

As several posters noted, Cowher criticizing a call of a conservative run in a playoff game was at least ironic, given his pre-2005 playoff game day decisions.

SteelerMurf
01-10-2008, 09:27 PM
I think perhaps Tomlin has watched enough game film and has realized he just doesn't have the players on special teams to compete.

Can you coach out of that? Not really.

Think of basketball....if you don't have a guy that can cover Michael Jordan you don't fire the coach after the game cause the other team is more athletic than you.

The guys on special teams are just very below average football players....they are slow, take bad angles, and can't tackle. If Tomlin doesn't fire a special teams coach and doesn't totally revamp the backup depth on our team, then I will get nervous.

I honestly think this team for years has lacked athletes as backups and where that shows up is on special teams.

SteelCityMan786
01-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Just hopefully they have new tricks up their sleeves or new ways to give the teams a kick in the ass.

The Offense improved, but needs to STOP the conservative play calling

the D NEEDS to improve greatly. The start of the year I felt fine with it. But the end of year crash pisses me off

ST should be forced to practice 4 hours per day with how bad they were last year.

Preacher
01-10-2008, 10:14 PM
The Offense improved, but needs to STOP the conservative play calling

Good luck. This is a Rooney team.

The one way to fired as head coach here is by failing to attempt to be a running team late in the game.

Rhee Rhee
01-11-2008, 01:08 AM
Good luck. This is a Rooney team.

The one way to fired as head coach here is by failing to attempt to be a running team late in the game.

well in the playoff game the run game wasn't getting anywhere and u gotta go with what was going well and that was the passing game..

Galax Steeler
01-11-2008, 03:50 AM
I don't see why we bring the special teams coach back next year and give him another try what if our special teams suck again and we go down the same path we did this year.:banging: