PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Tomlin: "I throw caution to the wind. I play to win."

stillers4me
01-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Steelers' Tomlin: "I throw caution to the wind. I play to win."

By Alan Robinson, AP Sports Writer
PITTSBURGH ? Steelers coach Mike Tomlin says if he had it to do all over again, he'd do it all over again.
Yes, he would again call for the two debatable 2-point conversion tries. The decision to run the ball on Pittsburgh's failed final drive, which led to Jacksonville's winning field goal and the Jaguars' 31-29 AFC playoff victory on Saturday.

Yes, that Ben Roethlisberger rollout on third-and-6 from the Pittsburgh 26 with 2:56 to play and the Steelers up 29-28 would be repeated - even though a successful short pass play would have given them the opportunity to run out the clock.

Roethlisberger was stopped for only a 1-yard gain on a quarterback sweep to his left, a play that the Steelers rarely use but which still didn't fool Jaguars safety Sammy Knight. Roethlisberger threw for 337 yards and two scores and the Steelers ran for only 43 yards on 26 carries, yet they called three successive run plays on that final drive.

OK, Tomlin may be second-guessing that play-calling a little.

"Hindsight is 20-15 sometimes," Tomlin said at his end-of-season news conference Thursday. "If you had it to do over, yes, you would love to do that (throw the ball) because the result of the play was not the result we were looking for."

Tomlin's first season as an NFL head coach began well with records of 4-1 and 7-2 but ended with four losses in five games, including the Steelers' first early round home playoff loss in 15 years.

That's why Tomlin took a few extra days before talking to reporters for one last time this season. "It was an emotional game," he said. "It was a gut-wrenching defeat, but every January defeat I have experienced has been the same."

Tomlin twice gambled by going for the 2-point conversion, rather than kicking the extra point, after the Steelers scored in the fourth quarter to cut it to 28-23 and again when they went ahead 29-28.

The first time, Tomlin stayed with the 2-point conversion even after a holding call on center Sean Mahan pushed the Steelers back to the 12-yard line. On another debatable quarterback keeper, Roethlisberger was stopped at the 3.

"Yes, I'd do it again," Tomlin said. "I throw caution to the wind. I play to win."

Following their go-ahead touchdown 4 minutes later, the Steelers were trying to go up by three points so a field goal wouldn't beat them - which, of course, is exactly what happened when Josh Scobee kicked a 25-yarder with 37 seconds to play.

"We go up by one, there is no need of going up by two," Tomlin said.

On other issues, Tomlin said he:

-Plans to retain all of his assistant coaches, although it is common for a first-year coach to reassess his staff and make changes.

"Do we need to get better? Do we need to coach better in some areas, all areas? Absolutely," he said.

-Was concerned - and rightly so, as it proved - about his special teams even before the start of training camp.

As he watched film after being hired nearly a year ago, Tomlin said he realized losing special teams players such as Sean Morey, Mike Logan and Chidi Iwuoma would be a major setback. Also, linebacker James Harrison became a starter and didn't play as much on special teams.

"I wasn't interested in throwing up a red flag and saying, 'Hey, I am worried about special teams,' but obviously I was," Tomlin said. "A special teams unit is comprised of four or five core guys. ... It would be the equivalent of losing seven, eight, nine starters on an offensive or defensive unit."

Kick coverage must improve next season, he said, but there "are not enough dynamic playmakers that you can build a core unit around."

-Thinks the Steelers currently are "a good team. That's what 10-6 teams are, what division champions are. We've got to be great."

-Is convinced the offensive and defensive lines most need an infusion of younger players.

"The protection of our quarterback has to improve," Tomlin said, referring to the 47 sacks of Roethlisberger.

-Hasn't written off losing All-Pro guard Alan Faneca, who can become a free agent, but "maybe the door is closing."

-Isn't confident that the Steelers will be big players in free agency and believes most of their new players will arrive in the draft.

"When you have quality, you have to pay for that," he said.

-Said his first season as a head coach didn't go "as well as I would have liked."

"One of the things that has bugged me since Saturday night are people with great intentions saying, 'Great start' and 'great year,"' he said. "I appreciate that, but I am not wired like that. Not that I am a negative guy, a melancholy guy. ... (But) there is something we are chasing here and we never will cease that chase."-

Wouldn't disclose, for now, whether the Steelers will eventually switch from a 3-4 defense to a 4-3. He also wouldn't say if he favors yanking up Heinz Field's often-mushy grass and putting down artificial turf.

The Associated Press

http://www.usatoday.com:80/sports/football/2008-01-10-2516449257_x.htm

Hines0wnz
01-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Yes, I am happy with Tomlin. Good job Rooneys for getting him!

PisnNapalm
01-10-2008, 09:25 PM
I have ZERO problems with his decisions to go for 2 points when he did. Even from the 12 yard line. He plays to win. He takes chances. I'm ok with that.

If ya ask me the special teams lost that game for us.... again.

RJC
01-10-2008, 11:05 PM
"I throw caution to the wind. I play to win."

I want to kill him for having "Herm Edwards" written all over him....

Jeremy
01-10-2008, 11:07 PM
-Is convinced the offensive and defensive lines most need an infusion of younger players.

This is brought you by the word.....duh.

fansince'76
01-10-2008, 11:21 PM

Another brilliant observation, just like your assertion the team would be better off with Willie out and Davenport starting. :coffee:

The Duke
01-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Another brilliant observation, just like your assertion the team would be better off with Willie out and Davenport starting. :coffee:

oh man....now it's all tomlin's fault? :wink02:

Preacher
01-11-2008, 01:41 AM
"I throw caution to the wind. I play to win."

Really? you want to KILL him?

Rhee Rhee
01-11-2008, 02:06 AM
he definitely has the attitude of a steeler coach... and if put into another 3rd and 6/7 situation again i look for him to make call a pass play..

The_WARDen
01-11-2008, 01:20 PM
There's playing to win and then there's playing stupidly to win.

Going for 2 from the 12 was stupid...specially with 10 minutes left.

The run, run, Ben rollout, punt series at the end was NOT playing to win. That was Martyball at it's finest especially with the way Ben, Miller, and Ward were dominating in the 2nd half.

Watch the Patriots this weekend....they play to win. There will be no run, run, run, punt if they're only up 1 at the end.

Lord Stiller
01-11-2008, 02:08 PM
There's playing to win and then there's playing stupidly to win.

Going for 2 from the 12 was stupid...specially with 10 minutes left.

The run, run, Ben rollout, punt series at the end was NOT playing to win. That was Martyball at it's finest especially with the way Ben, Miller, and Ward were dominating in the 2nd half.

Watch the Patriots this weekend....they play to win. There will be no run, run, run, punt if they're only up 1 at the end.

I completely agree with everything you just posted

Thomas Mihalich
01-11-2008, 02:33 PM
I completely agree with everything you just posted

A "famous" coach once said that almost every play could turn into a touchdown with the proper execution against an accomodating team! Armchair quarterbacking is what it's all about when you're a fan.:thumbsup:

Steel Duck
01-11-2008, 02:46 PM
My problem with Tomlin is not going for the extra point, but instead running the ball when he should have stuck with the short passes which were working...............

mopit55
01-11-2008, 02:52 PM
tomlin will become a great coach.it's his first season for steelers let us let it establish his stategies.

The_WARDen
01-11-2008, 02:58 PM
tomlin will become a great coach.it's his first season for steelers let us let it establish his stategies.

I hear people say this but I don't get it. I do not coach football and never have coached it, yet if I got to coach a game I would not opt to play turtle like that at the end.
I would go down with my guns firing.

So, how do you establish strategies I guess is what I'm trying to say. Shouldn't it be in your nature to go for the kill?

Note: I'm not saying go for the home run ball...I'm saying go with your best weapons (Ben, Miller, Ward at that point in the game) to try and get a couple of first downs to end the game. I'd rather lose by firing all my bullets.

Steel Duck
01-11-2008, 03:09 PM
I hear people say this but I don't get it. I do not coach football and never have coached it, yet if I got to coach a game I would not opt to play turtle like that at the end.
I would go down with my guns firing.

So, how do you establish strategies I guess is what I'm trying to say. Shouldn't it be in your nature to go for the kill?

Note: I'm not saying go for the home run ball...I'm saying go with your best weapons (Ben, Miller, Ward at that point in the game) to try and get a couple of first downs to end the game. I'd rather lose by firing all my bullets.

I have to agree with you.....He got too conservative...lost his nerve and thus lost the game.
I don't see any passion in him either. I don't see satisfaction on a good play....I don't see rejoice when we get a touchdown....and I don't see him pissed when it gets f'd up. I don't see anything from him at all!

mopit55
01-11-2008, 03:10 PM
our best weapons (ben,heath,ward) to become very dangerous and end the game quickly needs a better offensive line so tomlin must draft a good o-tackle.

LVSteelersfan
01-11-2008, 08:24 PM
It has to be Tomlin's fault. Willie was injured. Of course, I guess that still makes it Willie's fault. ROFL

LVSteelersfan
01-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Did you all see what happened on the last play of the game? Ben got sacked and fumbled the ball. THAT is exactly what they were afraid was going to happen on that third and six. That is why they got conservative. I hate the fact they didn't try to pass but Ben has gotten sacked so many times on third down this year it was ridiculous. I just don't understand why they don't roll him out on third down to get away from that pressure a little bit. Oh well, I am not a coach. What the heck do I know?

Jeremy
01-11-2008, 08:28 PM
It has to be Tomlin's fault. Willie was injured. Of course, I guess that still makes it Willie's fault. ROFL

When you call a planned run on a third and long with a slow quarterback, you're going to take some heat. Especially if you just happen to have the best third down receiver in the business and one of the better young tight ends in football on your roster.

It was a dumb call and Tomlin needs to say so.

steelers2685
01-11-2008, 08:53 PM
I have no problems with the two point conversions, as it wouldn't have mattered had we kicked a PAT anyways!

I do, however, have a HUGE problem with the play calling on the drive that we should've converted for a first down and ran out the clock. With passing working down after down there in the 4th quarter, we resort to three running plays? Why did Tomlin NOT say something differently? That's what I have a problem with. Special teams took the momentum away there at the beginning, but Ben bounced back.

I'm glad the Rooney's brought him in, but feel he needs to take a hands on approach on the sidelines.... don't know bout you guys, but standing there and watching then commenting on the game of 'attrition' and 'it is what it is' every single week has gotten old already.

augustashark
01-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Did you all see what happened on the last play of the game? Ben got sacked and fumbled the ball. THAT is exactly what they were afraid was going to happen on that third and six. That is why they got conservative. I hate the fact they didn't try to pass but Ben has gotten sacked so many times on third down this year it was ridiculous. I just don't understand why they don't roll him out on third down to get away from that pressure a little bit. Oh well, I am not a coach. What the heck do I know?

Fist off, you're talking about two different situations. One is where we need to drive it 60yds to get into field goal range. The other is where we needed to pick up one maybe two first downs to seal the game!

Your logic does not fly. Everyone focuses on the third down call, I still feel that we should have ran a quick-playaction pass on second down. At the end of the game they knew we had to pass, therefore they were going to pin the ears back and bring the house. Oh well, game over, time to prepare for 08.

Thomas Mihalich
01-12-2008, 06:05 PM
Fist off, you're talking about two different situations. One is where we need to drive it 60yds to get into field goal range. The other is where we needed to pick up one maybe two first downs to seal the game!

Your logic does not fly. Everyone focuses on the third down call, I still feel that we should have ran a quick-playaction pass on second down. At the end of the game they knew we had to pass, therefore they were going to pin the ears back and bring the house. Oh well, game over, time to prepare for 08.

Ben gave it hell in the second half. He really got roughed up in the first half which I believe led to the interceptions.
Ben's tough and carried the Steelers on his back in the second half. Should have passed in the last series, that's how we went up 29-28!

How would any of us fared after the accident he was in? He'll be a great quarterback for Pittsburgh for many years.

DP_Steeler
01-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Regardless of the many debates over the final play selection, Tomlin did not look like a coach playing to win, but rather a coach not assertive enough and simply hoping that we would somehow squeek out a win.

There are dangers to running - fumbles, lost yardage, etc; there are dangers to passing as some of you have stated, but when you are living and dying on the pass as we were forced, to I'm not sure why the play was for a QB bootleg.

Preacher
01-12-2008, 09:19 PM
When you call a planned run on a third and long with a slow quarterback, you're going to take some heat. Especially if you just happen to have the best third down receiver in the business and one of the better young tight ends in football on your roster.

It was a dumb call and Tomlin needs to say so.

:rolleyes:

And if that play went for 15 yards... you would be saying it was a very good call... Since everyone would be expecting a pass to Ward or a TE.

Amazing how people forget there is a defense out there that we are trying to play against... and plays are called according to how a defense sets up.

conservativesteelers
01-12-2008, 11:03 PM
Look , Patriots 3rd and 6.. throw a pass play to Stallworth.. 1st down.. game over..!!

fansince'76
01-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Look , Patriots 3rd and 6.. throw a pass play to Stallworth.. 1st down.. game over..!!

Game was already well in hand before that....

conservativesteelers
01-12-2008, 11:07 PM
Game was already well in hand before that....

kind of true.. but still.. the Patriots always throw in the at situation.. even if up by one score.. guaranteed.. I"ll harp on that 3rd and 6 and next to last drive all off-season by the Steelers.

fansince'76
01-12-2008, 11:08 PM
kind of true.. but still.. the Patriots always throw in the at situation.. even if up by one score.. guaranteed.. I"ll harp on that 3rd and 6 and next to last drive all off-season by the Steelers.

Yeah, considering that their running game isn't the greatest, they pretty much throw on EVERY play.

conservativesteelers
01-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Yeah, considering that their running game isn't the greatest, they pretty much throw on EVERY play.

huh!! The Patriots running game is good.. but they only choose to throw it on almost every play. HOw many yards Marony sp? have tonight, .. yea.. I thought so.

Preacher
01-12-2008, 11:17 PM

Considering your screenname... That is a little ironic.

fansince'76
01-12-2008, 11:20 PM
huh!! The Patriots running game is good.. but they only choose to throw it on almost every play. HOw many yards Marony sp? have tonight, .. yea.. I thought so.

Oh, so now you think Maroney is a good RB? Whatever. Go ahead, dwell on the 3rd-and-6 all you want. Jax wasn't even ranked top-10 in the league stopping the run this year - Willie put up 100 in 14 carries against them before he broke his leg.

conservativesteelers
01-12-2008, 11:23 PM
Oh, so now you think Maroney is a good RB? Whatever. Go ahead, dwell on the 3rd-and-6 all you want. Jax wasn't even ranked top-10 in the league stopping the run this year - Willie put up 100 in 14 carries against them before he broke his leg.

How how many yards did Jones Drew and Taylor put up on the so called #1 denfense.. Marony is a good running back. The Patriots can run the ball.. but there strength is geared around Randy Moss #1 as a decoy or a go to threat, decoy to go to Welker, etc.. then they can run the ball very effectively if they want to.. no doubt in my mind.. Just b/c the media says they can't run.. do you really believe everything the media says? haha.. what a joke.

fansince'76
01-12-2008, 11:24 PM
How how many yards did Jones Drew and Taylor put up on the so called #1 denfense.. Marony is a good running back. The Patriots can run the ball.. but there strength is geared around Randy Moss #1 as a decoy or a go to threat, decoy to go to Welker, etc.. then they can run the ball very effectively if they want to.. no doubt in my mind.. Just b/c the media says they can't run.. do you really believe everything the media says? haha.. what a joke.

No, I take it from actual FANS OF THE TEAM, who watch them on a weekly basis:

I love Maroney but he couldn't run a hundred yards if he was the only man on the field.

Maroney is special. I really don't think you can truly appreciate just how bad he is unless you see him on a regular basis. I can't remember ever seeing a RB this awful. He literally just dances in the backfield until someone tackles him.

The worst vision and burst I have ever seen in an NFL running back. I'm honestly not 100% certain that Orlando Pace wouldn't have a better chance of coverting a 3rd and 1 than Maroney.

Words can't describe the Lawrence Maroney experience.

And there's plenty more of these exact sentiments about him here: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=68725

Now, compare these quotes with the following fawning article (yeah, big surprise there) by ESPN:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=3170864

If Pats fans, who NEVER see anything wrong with their team, and always look at the Pats through RW&B-colored glasses see this guy as something less than a good RB, why shouldn't I view him that way? They watch him every week - I've gone out of my way to avoid watching him all year besides tonight and when the Steelers played them. Seems to me if anybody is buying the media's BS about them and coming back for seconds, it would be you. Also, continuing to squawk about a play that happened a week ago now and threatening to squawk about it for the entire offseason - that's a joke. :coffee:

conservativesteelers
01-13-2008, 12:26 PM
No, I take it from actual FANS OF THE TEAM, who watch them on a weekly basis:

And there's plenty more of these exact sentiments about him here: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=68725

Now, compare these quotes with the following fawning article (yeah, big surprise there) by ESPN:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=3170864

If Pats fans, who NEVER see anything wrong with their team, and always look at the Pats through RW&B-colored glasses see this guy as something less than a good RB, why shouldn't I view him that way? They watch him every week - I've gone out of my way to avoid watching him all year besides tonight and when the Steelers played them. Seems to me if anybody is buying the media's BS about them and coming back for seconds, it would be you. Also, continuing to squawk about a play that happened a week ago now and threatening to squawk about it for the entire offseason - that's a joke. :coffee:

Just b/c you state what some random fans say about a player.. doesn't make it legit.. Neither does my observations. However, that is what they are, observations/people opinions. I've seen Maroney play a lot this season. Remember he was battling injuries most of this season and missed a few games. Remember, fans are definetly not always the smartest people out there. And, I bet I could pull out a number of posts about Willy Parker stinks.. Willie parker is great bla bla bla.

If you ever hear post game talk shows, people calling in.. they are not necessarily the most knowledgable people by a long shot..

What, how does all of this mean I buy into the media? I agree with the media link you posted, the ESPN one.. they can run the ball, and quite well, just like I said..

good luck.

fansince'76
01-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Just b/c you state what some random fans say about a player.. doesn't make it legit.. Neither does my observations. However, that is what they are, observations/people opinions. I've seen Maroney play a lot this season. Remember he was battling injuries most of this season and missed a few games. Remember, fans are definetly not always the smartest people out there. And, I bet I could pull out a number of posts about Willy Parker stinks.. Willie parker is great bla bla bla.

If you ever hear post game talk shows, people calling in.. they are not necessarily the most knowledgable people by a long shot..

What, how does all of this mean I buy into the media? I agree with the media link you posted, the ESPN one.. they can run the ball, and quite well, just like I said..

good luck.

Excuse me, but I showed these as examples that I don't buy everything the media is selling like you accused me of earlier - does this quote ring a bell?

do you really believe everything the media says? haha.. what a joke.

As far as fans not being the most knowledgeable, no kidding. That would include you and me as well, no? We'll just agree to disagree on this one - like you said, it's all opinion. That includes the media's take as well.

MasterOfPuppets
01-13-2008, 12:39 PM
:popcorn:

The_WARDen
01-14-2008, 03:15 PM
as I predicted, up 11 the Patsies still passed to get the first down and put the final dagger in the Jags' heart.

By the way, they were running the ball quite effectively in that game.

fansince'76
01-14-2008, 03:19 PM
as I predicted, up 11 the Patsies still passed to get the first down and put the final dagger in the Jags' heart.

By the way, they were running the ball quite effectively in that game.

Awesome prediction! They only pass about 90% of the time anyway. They pass when they're up by 40. What's your point?

Steelerfreak58
01-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Awesome prediction! They only pass about 90% of the time anyway. They pass when they're up by 40. What's your point?

I think his point is that they don't get conservative and predictable (which the Steelers did with RUN, RUN, RUN, just after they took a 1 point lead against the Jags and cost them the game) and its one reason why the Pats are 17-0 this season and the Steeler were beat by the Jags.

They not only put their foot on your throat they crush your wind pipe. They take teams will to win away.

fansince'76
01-14-2008, 03:37 PM
I think his point is that they don't get conservative and predictable (which the Steelers did with RUN, RUN, RUN, just after they took a 1 point lead against the Jags and cost them the game) and its one reason why the Pats are 17-0 this season and the Steeler were beat by the Jags.

They not only put their foot on your throat they crush your wind pipe. They take teams will to win away.

Yeah, I know. I guess I should have used a smilie to indicate that I was being sarcastic, but I didn't think it was needed. I knew it was just another whine about the infamous "3rd-and-6" which I'm sure people will be griping about all offseason. The Pats also used cameras illegally to go 17-0*. Should we do that as well? Hell, why not, all Goodell will do is slap Rooney on the wrist. Which brings me to another point - if folks are so awed and enamored with the "Patriot Way," feel free to go jump on their bandwagon. I'm sure there's plenty of room.

revefsreleets
01-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Actually, the reason the Pats offense is so prolific is because they do the simple things correctly. Like block. Executing is fundamental.

conservativesteelers
01-14-2008, 03:45 PM

I agree... been harping on this point the whole time.

I will continue to harp the entire offseason until they start playing towards their strengths, and not Cowher ball..

Jeremy
01-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Actually, the reason the Pats offense is so prolific is because they do the simple things correctly. Like block. Executing is fundamental.

That's why the option worked so well for so many years at Nebraska. It's also the reason that Mike Mularkey's stupid mutiple choice passing offense never got very far.

The problem is the Steelers want to run a passing offense without the weapons at wide reciever. Ward is more suited to a running offense. Holmes has been a little above average, but there is nothing beyond those two on the depth chart. Washington and Wilson aren't going to get it done as slot receivers in a more passing oriented offense.

Steelerfreak58
01-14-2008, 04:41 PM
The problem is the Steelers want to run a passing offense without the weapons at wide reciever. Ward is more suited to a running offense. Holmes has been a little above average, but there is nothing beyond those two on the depth chart. Washington and Wilson aren't going to get it done as slot receivers in a more passing oriented offense.

The short 5 yard passes worked pretty well (think about the first drive against the Jags and the later drives which we scored on) the problem was after that first drive they got away from it for 3 possessions. We took our horrible O-Line out of the equation by getting the ball out of Bens hands quickly with short routes. On our scoring drives we actually utilized the best tight end in the league as well MILLER something that we did not do consistently all year.

I do agree we need another clutch receiver Washington drops too many passes and Wilson just doesn't have break away speed. A tall fast WR would fill that roll well.

Dino 6 Rings
01-14-2008, 05:54 PM

DANG RIGHT!!!!

that's why they rolled to the left, the side that teams try to force him to anyway.

revefsreleets
01-15-2008, 09:31 AM
That's why the option worked so well for so many years at Nebraska. It's also the reason that Mike Mularkey's stupid mutiple choice passing offense never got very far.

Totally disagree. The Steelers want to run a balanced offense but they can't because they don't execute, don't adaquately perform the little tasks that are necessary to build on to bigger and better things, i.e. if you can't block, you will have trouble running or passing, no matter who your OC is, or your HC, or your RB or QB. "For the want of a nail, the whole kingdom was lost" sort of thing. It's a testament to the abilities of the skilled players on this team that they were able to perform as well as they did given fundamental execution flaws up front.

Mosca
01-15-2008, 10:02 AM

And every single player does his job until the whistle. Everyone on a play-fake carrys through, even after the ball has passed. Every receiver runs every decoy route as if the ball was on its way. Those guys know that a little edge, plus a little edge, plus a little edge, is a BIG edge. (Cheating notwithstanding.)

conservativesteelers
01-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Oh, so now you think Maroney is a good RB? Whatever. .

haha, told you so..

fansince'76
01-22-2008, 09:58 AM
haha, told you so..

I'm surprised it took this long. It doesn't surprise me that you feel vindicated since so many people around here knee-jerk after one solitary game anyway. Either a player sucks or they don't after one game in most people's minds, so this post doesn't surprise me in the least. Of course, 2 games in a row makes a career in the same folks' minds. Might I remind you that he did it against the same D that let Adrian Peterson set a new single-game rushing record earlier this year? But you go right on believing he's the next Walter Payton/Emmitt Smith/Jim Brown. Good luck with that. :coffee:

Dino 6 Rings
01-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Wow, this post is still breathing...

as for the Pats win this past Sunday and their running game. It worked well, because the SD defense was playing pass the entire time. They had 3 picks, and were focussed so much on shutting down Brady and the passing attack, that even when the Pats came out in the 3rd quarter with a 2 tight-end set and started pounding the ball, the Chargers maintained their Nickle defense and adjusted too late to the change. And what they feared would happen did happen, just as they were starting to shut down the run, the Pats started in with the quick passes again to the outside, with their 2 tightend set, 1 receiver out, and the back out of the backfield. So the coverage was lacking. Had the chargers been able to score in the Redzone, maybe they could have taken advantage of their opportunity, but they failed.

The same people that want the Steelers to pass on 3rd and 6, or whatever, are you the same people that stood up and cheered when we'd hand the ball off 10 - 15 times in a row to kill the clock at the end of games? Are you the same fans that in 04, cheered for Parcell's decision to throw on 3rd down against the Steelers late in the game, only to see Vinny T fumble, then Kimo recovered and us score to win the game on the ensuing drive? Are you? Did you cheer for the running game then? If so, shut up your mouth about being conservative and watch Steelers football and live and die by the choices the coaches make.

conservativesteelers
01-22-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm surprised it took this long. It doesn't surprise me that you feel vindicated since so many people around here knee-jerk after one solitary game anyway. Either a player sucks or they don't after one game in most people's minds, so this post doesn't surprise me in the least. Of course, 2 games in a row makes a career in the same folks' minds. Might I remind you that he did it against the same D that let Adrian Peterson set a new single-game rushing record earlier this year? But you go right on believing he's the next Walter Payton/Emmitt Smith/Jim Brown. Good luck with that. :coffee:

Never said he should be mentioned with the greats..but to say he down right sucks, when he has battled an injury all season on a pass happy team.. is just not right. I've seen him run last year.. he isn't a bad running back by any means.

Lord Stiller
01-22-2008, 01:18 PM
I haven't been reading this thread but every time I read the title I get a chuckle after seeing the most cautious 3rd down play call (qb sweep) which cost us the game

LOL

conservativesteelers
01-22-2008, 04:15 PM
I haven't been reading this thread but every time I read the title I get a chuckle after seeing the most cautious 3rd down play call (qb sweep) which cost us the game

LOL

right on!!

Dino 6 Rings
01-23-2008, 12:26 PM
I love how you two have bottled up 17 weeks of football into one play "costing us the game" and then the season since it was a playoff game we lost.

That's very narrow thinking.

conservativesteelers
01-23-2008, 05:32 PM
I love how you two have bottled up 17 weeks of football into one play "costing us the game" and then the season since it was a playoff game we lost.

That's very narrow thinking.

yep.. that may be .. but that is what most people remember is that one play... People are entitled to opinions.. and you would alreday know mine from reading my other posts on this board.

Dino 6 Rings
01-23-2008, 05:45 PM
I remember the QB scramble for a 1st down a little more clearly and the defense that couldn't stop anyone when it counted all year. But like you said, its all opinions.