PDA

View Full Version : Interesting read about the game from Jacksonville!!!

rpv
01-10-2008, 07:49 PM
From Jacksonville.com:

Kyle from Jupiter, FL: Even though the Jags defense didn't do exceptionally well, I think our defensive line played their best game of the year, and it was without Henderson and Stroud. Your thoughts?
Vic: I had never seen a Steelers offensive line dominated the way it was this past Saturday night. They are in the midst of a change in their blocking scheme and the linemen they have don't fit it. The Steelers' main offseason objective is likely to be an overhaul of their offensive line and the Jaguars' domination of the Steelers is the major impetus.

Mark from High Springs, FL: Do you think Ben's two interceptions to Rashean Mathis were due to the fact that he had been hit and thrown down hard? If so, do you think that's what we need to do with Brady?
Vic: I think it was absolutely the reason Roethlisberger experienced a second-quarter lapse. These guys aren't machines. What have I always said? The quarterback must go down and the quarterback must go down hard. When that happens, the human spirit takes a hit, too. That might've happened to Roethlisberger. I thought the pass for Davenport that Mathis intercepted was thrown out of desperation. There may have even been some exasperation in it. Roethlisberger lost his poise, but he got it back at halftime and kept it the rest of the way. Do I think any of that second-quarter stuff would've happened if he had been allowed to sit back there and throw without being rushed? No way.

Saif from Washington, DC: Why wasn't Garrard allowed to throw? Is this a sudden lack of confidence in him? And do you think this will be changed for the next game?
Vic: I think they wanted to ease into it, but never got a chance to ease into it for two reasons: 1.) They got a big lead and that demanded more runs; 2.) When they did throw, Garrard pitched a couple of interceptions that allowed the Steelers to get back into the game, and interceptions will cause a lack of confidence. I thought Garrard looked a little shaky in the first half and I commented on that in my blog. It was his first postseason start. Anybody who thinks the postseason isn?t a different ballgame really doesn?t understand or appreciate the pressure and intensity that comes with the postseason.

Chris from Sanford, FL: Tomlin made the right call to go for two. An extra point would have only put the Steelers up by two. Jags won by two, not one. Final score was 31-29. An extra point would have made it 31-30. Now the whole run, run, run thing, that is another story.
Vic: When the Steelers cut the Jaguars? lead to 28-23, they went for two and made it on a pass from Roethlisberger to Ward. The Steelers were flagged for holding, however, and that moved the ball back to the 12. Tomlin went for it again, which surprised everyone because I?m sure the chart doesn?t say go for two from the 12. The try failed and the Steelers trailed by five. When they scored the next time, to take a 29-28 lead, they were painted into a two-point corner by the first failed try. They went for two again and failed. Had they kicked from the 12, they could?ve kicked the next time, too, to take a three-point lead.

Miguel from Jacksonville: After the game, ?Big Ben? waited for Garrard to finish his game-winner interview to congratulate him. That to me was the epitome of sportsmanship. I wish there was more of that and it was as heralded and chronicled as the misconduct. What a classy guy.
Vic: I didn?t see it but I heard about it. I like that, too. Why not do it? Why not distinguish yourself and the game that was just played? Roethlisberger is an interesting study. In his first couple of years, everybody wanted to call him a ?game manager,? but he is anything but a ?game manager.? The truth is that he?s a ?gunslinger.? That?s what he was in college and that?s what he?s become in his professional career. He has a fourth-quarter quality to him that is very strong. His second-half performance on Saturday was out of this world: 17 of 23 for 188 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions. He scored on every possession in the second half except the run, run, run, punt surrender possession. He?s a crunch-time guy and I love crunch-time quarterbacks. How could Tomlin take the ball out of his hands with the game on the line?

Kyle from Clearwater, FL: You have written in the past that the Jags and the Patriots don't match up well and Jags fans should basically pray for bad weather in New England . Anything to add to that now that the Jags will be playing the Pats?
Vic: Not really. I don?t like the matchup and I think that?s a logical position, especially after Ben Roethlisberger threw for 337 yards against the Jaguars, even though he was sacked six times and harassed on nearly every throw. I doubt the Jags will get that kind of pressure on Tom Brady. I?m putting my hope in the Jaguars? offense and its ability to control the tempo of the game with the run. In my opinion, to have any chance of winning this game, barring the bizarre, the Jaguars need those 18 and 20-play drives for which they had become famous in the regular season.

Cameron from Jacksonville: You said it yourself a couple of times, the Jaguars were getting pressure even when only sending four linemen. So why, on fourth-and-12, with the game on the line, did the blitz get called?
Vic: Because they didn?t want to give Roethlisberger?s receivers enough time to run 12 yards. I also think there?s a possibility they underrated Roethlisberger?s grasp of the game. That was a mistake. He saw the blitz and went right after it. He?s only 25 years old. He?s gonna be a good one.

Kelly from Rohnert Park, CA: Khalif Barnes got away with a big, fat hold during Garrard's fourth-and-two run, didn't he?
Vic: I don?t know. From what I understand, Hines Ward got away with a facemask, too. Life?s tough.

PisnNapalm
01-10-2008, 08:29 PM
This Vic guy knows his football. Everything I read sounds about right.

rpv
01-10-2008, 08:41 PM

Yup..Specially liked the "he's only 25. He'll be a good one" part:cheers:

stillers4me
01-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Yup..Specially liked the "he's only 25. He'll be a good one" part:cheers:

Insinuation.........he's only going to get better.

kmsteelerwr15
01-10-2008, 08:49 PM

ya i agree he is pretty damn good well atleast better than the idiots on ESPN:dang:

verks36
01-10-2008, 08:54 PM
that was a real good read

it was accurate

every one and there mother know the steelers line sucks

jjpro11
01-10-2008, 09:10 PM
he sure likes ben.. but i agree that they are getting pressure on brady rushing only 4 like they did us. they are going to need to come up with something to confuse the pats.

Rhee Rhee
01-11-2008, 01:21 AM
It's easy to say the Oline Sucks but this guy seemed to understand why.

Most of the people here don't realize that the move to Zone blocking calls for small quicker linemen and a move away from big beefy guys. Somethign Atlanta DAn should be familiar with as ATL tried to do this over the last few year and then only to have Their latest coach attempt to switch back. It could take years to get his line blocking well in a zone blocking scheme. It will certainly take eventually losing all the linemen we have now.

since when did we change our o-line to a zone blocking?

jjpro11
01-11-2008, 02:14 AM
It's easy to say the Oline Sucks but this guy seemed to understand why.

Most of the people here don't realize that the move to Zone blocking calls for small quicker linemen and a move away from big beefy guys. Somethign Atlanta DAn should be familiar with as ATL tried to do this over the last few year and then only to have Their latest coach attempt to switch back. It could take years to get his line blocking well in a zone blocking scheme. It will certainly take eventually losing all the linemen we have now.

then he had no business changing the scheme or tomlin had no business hiring a guy that was going to change the scheme. tomlin didnt come in here and switch to the tampa-2 defense because we dont have the personnel for it. why on earth did we switch to a zone blocking scheme when we dont have the players to pull it off?

Haiku_Dirtt
01-11-2008, 02:29 AM
Jack Del Rio has already paid the ultimate compliment to the Steelers Org. He vowed to duplicate it.

WHO wouldn't want to see this Jacksonville team smash the media darlings?

Good read dude.

revefsreleets
01-11-2008, 09:08 AM
That's the first confirmation anywhere I've read that the Steelers did indeed change to zone blocking. Explains a lot. Faneca hinted at it a couple times, but now we know.

Rotorhead
01-11-2008, 11:02 AM
That explains alot about the Oline, makes alot of the issues explainable. I for one like the idea, Denver uses that scheme which is why they can plug any runningback and make a 1000+ yard rusher. Put a GOOD back in that kind of scheme and you have a perennial rushing title contender. I would tend to think we will draft or FA alot of Oline this off season to build a good fit line.

revefsreleets
01-11-2008, 05:49 PM
On the surface this explains some things. Starks and Essex both looked really good at LT, and Smith, well, not always so much. Which is weird, because Max is HUGE. If it's zone/technique blocking, Mahan should have looked better. This explains why Faneca looked lost a lot. I guess I don't get it, but I do hope that if we draft/FA lineman, we look for guys with the right background and experience. I'm not going to toss the new line coach under the bus if he was dealing with the wrong personnel for his scheme, but I do question switching the scheme if the personnel didn't fit.

Crushzilla
01-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Perhaps they were creating the illusion of zone blocking by standing around? :hunch: