PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 QB (Sporting News): Ben gets some love

stillers4me
01-10-2008, 08:16 PM
The List: The top 10 QBs in football

Posted: January 10, 2008

My favorite potential NFL playoffs story line, far-fetched though it may be: a Manning-vs.-Manning Super Bowl. That said, there's every reason to believe this year's postseason will feature a few mondo matchups of quarterbacks. Throw Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Brett Favre and Tony Romo into the same pot, and you're gonna like whatever you ladle out.

But isn't it true that many of us are guilty these days of overrating (or underrating) certain quarterbacks because of their teams' successes (or failures)? Why, I know I was taken aback by an illustration in last week's Sporting News magazine that features the busts of Favre, Brady, the elder Manning and Romo on Mount Rushmore.

I mean, Romo? Already? There's just no way he belongs with those other three guys. Then again, who does?

"Shouldn't Romo at least have to win a playoff game before he appears beside Brady, Manning and Favre?" wrote one reader.

"Ben Roethlisberger, who had a tremendous season as a rookie starter and, oh yeah, won a Super Bowl, is not at the elite status of Tony Romo?" wrote another. "Is this based on football or whom they've been linked to in the dating game?"

Football, of course. And speaking of, I couldn't agree more with the Roethlisberger sentiment. I just wouldn't put him with the three surefire Hall of Famers, either.

My top 10 QBs in football right now -- as in, not based on career bodies of work:

1. Peyton Manning, Colts. No, I am not a Brady hater. But to me, Manning is still one of a kind -- the smartest and most valuable player in the game. If I'm starting a team from scratch tomorrow, he's my No. 1 overall pick.

2. Tom Brady, Patriots. On top of everything else he's great at, Brady throws the best-looking ball since John Elway. When he snaps that right wrist and really lets it fly, there's no doubting it's coming down right on the money.

3. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers. He got sacked 47 times in 2007 -- second-most in the league -- and still had the best passer rating (104.1) after Brady. He has the biggest arm in the game, he's crazy-tough in the pocket and he never backs down, as he displayed last weekend in the comeback effort against the Jaguars, which came up just short.

4. Tony Romo, Cowboys. He can keep any play alive, he completely trusts his receivers, and he really had only two stinker games this season -- his few, loud critics are totally overstating the inconsistency factor with Romo.

5. Brett Favre, Packers. Records aside, Favre was one of many reasons the Packers won 13 games. He has his best receiving corps in several years, and only one NFC defense allowed fewer points. Are you telling me you wouldn't much rather have Favre from 10 years ago, five or even three?

6. Carson Palmer, Bengals. My one problem with Palmer is that he isn't more of a forceful leader; the great quarterbacks are idolized (and often feared) even by their teammates. But his Foutsian gifts are plain to see, and he's got a real shot to someday be the best QB in the league.

7. Matt Hasselbeck, Seahawks. He hasn't dropped off an inch since Super Bowl 40, and this year his numbers were better than ever. He's upbeat, confident and crafty but still something of a hidden gem out in Seattle.

8. Drew Brees, Saints. Without Brees this season, the Saints would have fought with Miami for the worst record in the league. You never have to worry about this guy. But he lacks the arm strength and size to be a Pro Bowl mainstay.

9. Donovan McNabb, Eagles. I don't know about you, but I'm still a McNabber. When he's healthy, he still dominates. Nineteen TDs and only seven picks was an outstanding performance in limited action with pretty low-level talent around him.

10. Eli Manning, Giants. Where's David Garrard? Marc Bulger? Jay Cutler? Maybe I'm nuts, but I'd rather have Eli. I'm done overreacting to his Sling Blade-style facial expressions -- I'm way more into the way he hangs in there and just wins, baby, on the road.

Steve Greenberg is a writer for Sporting News. E-mail him at sgreenberg@sportingnews.com.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=335543

PisnNapalm
01-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Manning is the only QB I'd consider instead of Ben for my team.

I think Ben is also one of a kind as well. I've never seen a QB that is so difficult to tackle. You have to wrap him up because an arm tackle just won't work.

Atlanta Dan
01-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Based on his performance the last 2 seasons I think Carson Palmer is ranked far too low at #6:dang:

GBMelBlount
01-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Ben was great this year. I doubt any QB in the NFL would have performed as well if given Bens "circumstances."

Rhee Rhee
01-11-2008, 01:41 AM
Manning is the only QB I'd consider instead of Ben for my team.

I think Ben is also one of a kind as well. I've never seen a QB that is so difficult to tackle. You have to wrap him up because an arm tackle just won't work.

i'd actally pick brady over manning... both QBs are the ultimate competitors but manning has shown almost no mobility... (neither has brady but brady can always get 1 yard on a QB sneak)

tony hipchest
01-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Based on his performance the last 2 seasons I think Carson Palmer is ranked far too low at #6:dang:lol

wheres p. king when you need him?

fansince'76
01-11-2008, 09:31 AM
9. Donovan McNabb, Eagles. I don't know about you, but I'm still a McNabber. When he's healthy, he still dominates.

Only problem is he's healthy once in a blue moon anymore.

Michael Keller
01-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Based on his performance the last 2 seasons I think Carson Palmer is ranked far too low at #6:dang:

Playing for the Bengals has got to effect Palmer. It is like being relegated to hell. Plamer's greatness will probably never be achieved until a big vaccum cleaner is introuced to the Bengals club house. Our advantage .

Ben is the third best . We will never know how good he is until (and I m sure it will happen ) the offenive lined is rebuilt. Ben with Brady like time to read and throw is like a dream in the making for a Steeler fan.

verks36
01-11-2008, 11:27 AM
Only problem is he's healthy once in a blue moon anymore.

well he was basically healthy all this year

Ben is establishing himself as one of the best QBs in the league and he is far and away better than Rivers and Eli who were picked ahead of him

fansince'76
01-11-2008, 12:38 PM
well he was basically healthy all this year

I guess that's why AJ Feeley started against the Pats when the Eagles played them in Foxboro? Fact remains he hasn't played a full season's slate of 16 games since '03.

steelers2685
01-11-2008, 07:45 PM
You put Tom Brady behind the Steelers line this year, he'd have crumbled, guaranteed. Ben is the man, although I still feel that he would be #3. I don't agree with Favre being so low. In my mind, he's #2 behind Peyton. Brady would be #4. Romo would be #5.

ChronoCross
01-11-2008, 08:19 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/Iniki/Cowboys/Cowgilrz.jpg

ChronoCross
01-11-2008, 08:20 PM
http://a57.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/113/m_72842b23fb56b8f949a11b293725cde8.gif

stillers4me
01-11-2008, 08:45 PM
http://a57.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/113/m_72842b23fb56b8f949a11b293725cde8.gif

ahhhhhhh yes........the new generation of "elite" quarterbacks........! :sofunny:

Godfather
01-11-2008, 09:53 PM
My favorite potential NFL playoffs story line, far-fetched though it may be: a Manning-vs.-Manning Super Bowl.

Small price to pay to keep the Patriots* out of it.

fansince'76
01-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Small price to pay to keep the Patriots* out of it.

Not to mention the Cowboys - they haven't won a frigging playoff game since 1996, but they are definitely in second place to the Pats* when it comes to being collectively sucked off by the media, and couldn't be more undeserving of it.

stillers4me
01-12-2008, 07:28 AM
O......M......G

Eli vs Peyton in the Superbowl.

I can honestly say, I don't know which would be worse. The Patriot* hype or the constant panning to the private box with mommy and daddy silently watching their their little darlings play the "fairy"tale Superbowl.

Steelman16
01-12-2008, 12:54 PM
O......M......G

Eli vs Peyton in the Superbowl.

I can honestly say, I don't know which would be worse. The Patriot* hype or the constant panning to the private box with mommy and daddy silently watching their their little darlings play the "fairy"tale Superbowl.

Yeah, but which would be better....Panning to the Manning box all the time, or listening to ever-more Brady-this Brady-that crud? I choose the first option.

Rhee Rhee
01-13-2008, 02:58 AM
the patriots will probably make even more headlines by losing in the AFCCG...