PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin On What Motivates Free Agents

Atlanta Dan
01-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Although the question was asked in the context of whether the Heinz turf could be a factor in a free agent deciding to play for the Steelers, this response by Tomlin was refreshingly candid:

When asked if the playing surface at Heinz Field might be a deterrent to a free agent the Steelers covet, coach Mike Tomlin said, "Let's be real: free agency is about dollars and cents. I've never seen anyone make a decision on anything other than dollars and cents."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_546936.html

Add Tomlin to those of us who think any idea Faneca, Starks or anyone else is going to give a discount for the alleged glory of playing for the Black & Gold is wishful thinking.

tony hipchest
01-11-2008, 09:32 AM
yeah, im not too sure starks is looking at giving out any charity to a team that benched him.

faneca not dogging it this season (i was worried he would just go through the motions) ensured his possible record payday.

we'll have to see what randy moss does this off season to support tomlins theory.

Atlanta Dan
01-11-2008, 09:36 AM
we'll have to see what randy moss does this off season to support tomlins theory.

Moss will be all about $$$ - he will either get his ring or, if the Pats lose, figure being a team player got the same end result as when he was a jerk so why not max out the payday.

SteelerFanInCA
01-11-2008, 11:13 AM
In the end it's still all about the $$$$. I find highly unlikely a field surface would have any impact on what FA's we sign.

aburdell
01-11-2008, 11:30 AM
I don't care about the Rooneys cheap history. They need to realize that the only strong point of the O-line was Faneca. I'm still not a fan of Starks and they need to realize that we can afford to lose Starks, but letting Faneca go is a terrible idea. We can easily draft better lineman than Starks, but it takes years to get another Faneca. There is a lot of good lineman this year in the draft so we will see sometime soon what the staff wants to do.

Atlanta Dan
01-11-2008, 11:47 AM
I don't care about the Rooneys cheap history. They need to realize that the only strong point of the O-line was Faneca. I'm still not a fan of Starks and they need to realize that we can afford to lose Starks, but letting Faneca go is a terrible idea. We can easily draft better lineman than Starks, but it takes years to get another Faneca. There is a lot of good lineman this year in the draft so we will see sometime soon what the staff wants to do.

But you will not be paying Faneca in 2008 for "another Faneca" - you will be paying top $ for a player over 30 in decline. Forget the AP All-Pro popularity contest - I posted this in another thread but think it is helpful to get a reality check on where Faneca now ranks by reading the All-Pro column by Dr.Z. of SI:

GUARDS (Logan Mankins, Jason Brown) Mankins was my favorite guard last year, and this one, too. He's got it all, brains, quickness, meanness. I saw him have only one tough game, and that was against Haloti Ngata of the Ravens, but everyone has trouble trying to move that guy. It's like blocking something out of a quarry.

A sleeper, Brown of the Ravens, ran away with my other position. A different type. He's a 6-3, 320-pound bowling ball, and when he hits 'em, they fly. If I needed any convincing at all on him, and I really didn't, it came against the Patriots, when he just about put a hole in Richard Seymour's chest.

People occasionally ask me for my scoring numbers on the linemen, and I don't mind providing them, except for the tackles because they're embarrassingly low. But here are the grades for my top guards: Mankins 5.5; Brown 5.3; Hutchinson of the Vikings, a little slower, a little less sure footed than my pair, 4.7; Lilja of the Colts 3.7; the Redskins' Pete Kendall, who had a terrific game at Green Bay, 3.6; Pittsburgh's Faneca, not as young nor as balanced as he used to be, 3.5; Andrews of Philly 3.2.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/dr_z/01/09/all.pros/1.html

Faneca still is a good starter but not worth busting the budget. Sign Faneca and say godbye to Miller or Holmes in a couple years because the cap will prevent re-signing them..

jjpro11
01-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Moss will be all about $$$ - he will either get his ring or, if the Pats lose, figure being a team player got the same end result as when he was a jerk so why not max out the payday.

they'll probably end up resigning him.. samuel is the odd man out in new england. theres no way they can break up the offense that got them all those records. kraft is a prick, but he isnt dumb.

The_WARDen
01-11-2008, 03:06 PM

not that I'm a Moss fan, but isn't he a bargain at his salary and playing to win this year?

mopit55
01-11-2008, 03:20 PM
the priority is to sign big ben,heath and santonio so alan gone.marvel smith is 30's.we must sign max starks and take an another o-tackle in the draft.

Atlanta Dan
01-11-2008, 05:07 PM
not that I'm a Moss fan, but isn't he a bargain at his salary and playing to win this year?

No doubt he is a fantastic bargain this year - but next year he gets his payday from someone

Glace
01-11-2008, 09:57 PM
I like Faneca's leadership, but we have more pressing needs than a single lineman taking a huge chunk out of our salary cap.

Besides...through the draft or free agency, 5 good linemen is better than 1 great lineman and 4 others either average or sub-par.

Galax Steeler
01-12-2008, 04:39 AM
I don't see how the type of field you pay on has any thing to do in signing of player like tomlin said they play for money.

Preacher
01-12-2008, 05:19 AM

OK.

Let's get this straight.

two words.

SALARY CAP.

Please show me a season where we have played with anything more then 5 mil under the cap.. heck, 2 mil.

People who say the Rooneys are cheap have a hard time with subtraction... because they sure can't figure out a salary cap.

FourThreeMafia
01-12-2008, 06:58 AM

Only misinformed people call the Rooneys cheap. We always use most of, if not all our cap space. As Preacher stated above, how often do the Steelers have that much space left under the cap? Look at some of the other teams around the league that have $20 mil under the cap every year before calling the Rooneys cheap.

Do you want to know why those misinformed people call the Rooneys cheap?

Its not because they dont like to spend money. They just dont like handing out huge contracts to players that dont deserve it. I mean, how many free agents that the Steelers let go went on to bigger and better things? How many times has letting a FA walk severely hurt us?

People said we were cheap for letting Burress walk. Ben had a better season the following year and we won the SB. So obviously, he wasnt integral to what we do.

People said we were cheap for letting Porter walk. James Harrison comes in and has a pro bowl year.

The Steelers are usually smart with their money. They sometimes bring in a FA bust like Mahan or Duce Staley. But the Steelers always keep players they know are instrumental in the team's success. Hines Ward, Casey Hampton, Troy Polamalu, and soon Ben Roethlisberger....all given big contracts to remain Steelers. If the front office feels a player needs to be retained, they make it happen.

Now, onto Faneca...

Calling Faneca the strong point of our OLine is hilarious. Have you watched him this year? If you are calling him a strong point, Im willing to bet you havent.

Faneca didnt even play like a top 10 guard, much less top 5. I would say it was a fluke, but he didnt play well last year either. He is on the decline and will be 31. You want to give an aging guard with decling skills a huge contract? Faneca is a road grater. He is meant to block for a team that is a run heavy offense. He is a below average pass blocker. Still a great run blocker, but not as dominant as he used to be, especially against better teams.

We are an evolving offense with a franchise QB. Faneca was perfect for the old Steelers, but not for the new Steelers. This is Ben's year to get paid. Faneca's play hasnt even come close to warranting the type of payday he wants. Kind of like Porter last year. I know we cut Porter, but he wanted a huge contract, and his play didnt even warrant the $1 mil bonus he was due to make, so we cut him loose.

I love Faneca. He has been the consummate professional and a great player on this team for years. But his time is up. If Cowher were still here, things might be different because we might still be a power run offense. We are currently a retooling team. Not rebuilding, because we have alot of key pieces in place (Ben, Willie, Santonio, Heath, Woodley, Taylor and Troy) We need to start getting younger on both lines and bringing in players that better fit the scheme.

Stlrs4Life
01-12-2008, 11:46 AM
No doubt, all about the mighty $$$$.