PDA

View Full Version : Sports Talk Shows

rpv
01-12-2008, 07:45 AM
How do u people rate the talk shows that we have here in Pittsburgh and which one do u listen to the most?

Madden on ESPN claims that he has the most listeners, IQ and money!! Find him hilarious at times. I like Stan Savron: he seems to know his stuff. Cant listen to Junker and Crow much as I am at work. From my limited listening to their show they seem to be pretty good too. (My take)

83-Steelers-43
01-17-2008, 08:35 PM
In my opinion.....

On TV:

#1) Sportsbeat with Stan Savern at 6:30 PM on FSN Pittsburgh. Love it when he has Bouchette on for Steelers talk and Steigerwald on for Penguins talk. The Steelers and Penguins roundtables are excellent.

#2) The Subway Nightly Sports Call at 10: 35 PM on the CW.

#3) Sunday Sports Showdown on KDKA at 11:35 PM on Sunday's.

McDonald's Action Sports Sunday on WTAE at 11:30 PM on Sunday's is horrible. Andrew Stockey is a horrible host. He just sits there and laughs for a half hour straight. Mark Madden used to be on the show but I believe he was fired. Just a bad show in my opinion.

On radio:

Only one....

#1) Junker and Crowe. I was a fan of Junker when he was with Stan and I remain a fan.

Unfortunately Stan Savern is no longer on radio. They decided to bring in that weasel Tim Benz. Ratings dropped when he stepped in and now they trying Joe Bendel....Zzzz...Zzzz....Zzzz.. Madden does nothing for me. In my opinion, the man is a slob who has no respect for himself.

SteelCityMan786
01-17-2008, 09:28 PM
In my opinion.....

On TV:

#1) Sportsbeat with Stan Savern at 6:30 PM on FSN Pittsburgh. Love it when he has Bouchette on for Steelers talk and Steigerwald on for Penguins talk. The Steelers and Penguins roundtables are excellent.

#2) The Subway Nightly Sports Call at 10: 35 PM on the CW.

#3) Sunday Sports Showdown on KDKA at 11:35 PM on Sunday's.

McDonald's Action Sports Sunday on WTAE at 11:30 PM on Sunday's is horrible. Andrew Stockey is a horrible host. He just sits there and laughs for a half hour straight. Mark Madden used to be on the show but I believe he was fired. Just a bad show in my opinion.

On radio:

Only one....

#1) Junker and Crowe. I was a fan of Junker when he was with Stan and I remain a fan.

Unfortunately Stan Savern is no longer on radio. They decided to bring in that weasel Tim Benz. Ratings dropped when he stepped in and now they trying Joe Bendel....Zzzz...Zzzz....Zzzz.. Madden does nothing for me. In my opinion, the man is a slob who has no respect for himself.

Hey 83, you stealin my rankings? :flap: haha great minds like us might must think alike. :sofunny:

83-Steelers-43
01-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Hey 83, you stealin my rankings? :flap: haha great minds like us might must think alike. :sofunny:

Yeah, but I wish I had that mind power you have........you ask for goals from the Penguins and next thing you know, two minutes later they are ringing off 2 or 3 goals. :wink02:

Jeremy
01-20-2008, 09:25 AM
I haven't been in Pittsburgh in a long time, but when I was I thought they were all pretty bad.

Dan Patrick's new show is pretty good though, you guys should check it out.

83-Steelers-43
01-20-2008, 09:27 AM
Savern is pretty damn good (IMO). Then again, when your the longest running sports tv talk show in the city I guess your doing something right.

MarylandSteeler
01-20-2008, 09:32 AM
You want a bad sports show turn on mark madden, the guy cannot get a clean word out of his mouth, nor do I think that he has the ability to say anything nice about anyone.

I am not from Pttsburgh but I have lived here almost 4 years and I love Stan and the sports call and the sports showdown on sunday.

Before I came to Pittsburgh I lived in Maryland, and seeing the sports shows down there it makes me realize how lucky we here in Pittsburgh are to have sports shows like Stan and all the others.

Thank you 83 for mentioning that if Stan wasn't that good why does he have the longest running sports show in Pittsburgh Television history.

83-Steelers-43
01-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Thank you 83 for mentioning that if Stan wasn't that good why does he have the longest running sports show in Pittsburgh Television history.

You are welcome. Glad you enjoy the shows up here. :cheers:

FWIW, by no means am I stating that the Pittsburgh sports shows are perfect. Bob Pompeani's overbearing Steeler homerism can become annoying at times. When he has Bob Smizik on the Nightly Sports Call, his Pirate homerism is DEFINATELY unbearable and pathetic at the same time. Thankfully he has started to tone it down. Maybe he finally realized that the majority of us are not as dumb as he thought we were?

Even on Sports Beat, when Stan has Tunch Ilkin on. We could lose a game 43-0 and Ilkin will find something........ANYTHING in order to praise the team. It's no secret who's paying Ilkin's salary. Still trying to figure out how he made the All-Time Steeler team.

No doubt, they have faults (I'm not expecting them to be perfect), but I'll definately take the local sports shows over the national sports shows (the B.S. ESPN spews on a daily basis) when it comes to talking Pittsburgh sports. For me, it's sort of like muting the TV during away games and putting on WDVE so I do not have to listen to the morons on CBS.

MarylandSteeler
01-20-2008, 09:57 AM
I totally agree on all points, you took the words right out of my mouth.

SMR
01-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Yeah Savern rocks. :tt02:

rpv
01-24-2008, 06:49 AM
You want a bad sports show turn on mark madden, the guy cannot get a clean word out of his mouth, nor do I think that he has the ability to say anything nice about anyone.

I agree. Cant believe that people actually call his show. Anything one says that is not the Madden way is not accepted. Then have to listen to a monologue about how stupid the "yinzer" is, how his IQ is a "tested" 160 and how he lives in the best house on the best side of town while everybody else cannot afford 2 meals a day!!!!:dang:

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Yeah, but I wish I had that mind power you have........you ask for goals from the Penguins and next thing you know, two minutes later they are ringing off 2 or 3 goals. :wink02:

It's just a matter of the timing. I'm already board star of the game for 1 Pens game. lol. I just wish the Steelers would have listened more often this year.