PDA

View Full Version : Steelers need to shake up coaching staff

STEELtownHAVOX
01-13-2008, 10:32 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_547222.html?source=rss&feed=9

Steelers need to shake up coaching staff
Sunday, January 13, 2008

After reflecting on the Steelers season, it's evident that Ben Roethlisberger is a mediocre quarterback at best. Maybe he'll learn when to throw the ball instead of holding it too long and ending up taking a sack or throwing an interception.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and special teams coach Bob Ligashesky were 2-14 when they had similar coaching jobs in Cleveland. Great credentials. The Steelers' special teams play reflects Ligashesky's guidance. Arians' play-calling also left a lot to be desired. Some of the red-zone plays Arians called were inappropriate, and when it came time to kill the clock to maintain a lead and win a game, he had no game plan at all.

Along with these mistakes, coach Mike Tomlin had served one season as the defensive coordinator for a losing team -- the Minnesota Vikings -- and the only reason he was selected to coach the Steelers was because he accepted a lower salary. The Rooneys saved millions of dollars when they hired him. It was quite evident this year that they got what they paid for.

There are a lot of good players on this team who deserved better, not to mention the fans who who were again disappointed. Steelers fans have a year to recover and hope the Steelers' shortcomings will go away. That won't happen if the Rooneys keep their current braintrust.

Blown call

How dare Mike Prisuta criticize the officiating in the Steelers-Jaguars game, yet omit a pass interference call on the Jaguars when the Steelers had a fourth-and-goal at the 1-yard line that resulted in an automatic first down.

A Jaguars' player's facemask was being held by Hines Ward. This was so clear that the announcers on the broadcast, a non-biased broadcast crew, identified it.

Omitting obvious information that runs counter to one's beliefs is nothing more than pure politics and is not sports reporting.

John B. Bloom
Elrama

MEDIOCRE AT BEST????? AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA WHAT A JACKASS

STEELtownHAVOX
01-13-2008, 10:33 AM
I would not be surprised if he has not yet received "death threats" yet. Who in the hell is this guy?

xXTheSteelKingsXx
01-13-2008, 10:39 AM
After reflecting on the Steelers season, it's evident that Ben Roethlisberger is a mediocre quarterback at best.

After reading this sentence I stopped reading the article.

Preacher
01-13-2008, 10:39 AM
I would not be surprised if he has not yet received "death threats" yet. Who in the hell is this guy?

I really wonder how a 2-14 offensive coordinator had his offense playing in the playoffs against us?

fansince'76
01-13-2008, 10:41 AM
The verdict is in, folks - "Vince Oddo from Greensburg" (the clown that wrote that BS) is a blithering idiot. :coffee:

msafford
01-13-2008, 10:54 AM
After reading this sentence I stopped reading the article.

It's ok. This guy probably has Big Ben confused with that guy who impersonated Ben a couple of years back. no biggie. :smile:

fansince'76
01-13-2008, 11:28 AM
There are a lot of good players on this team who deserved better, not to mention the fans who who were again disappointed. Steelers fans have a year to recover and hope the Steelers' shortcomings will go away.

Didn't the same players and fans deserve better than what they got from Cowher in 2006 by this rationale? At about triple the salary that Tomlin got this year? Fact is, Tomlin inherited a highly flawed team and it will take some time to correct the deficiencies - that's not Tomlin's fault.

conservativesteelers
01-13-2008, 11:33 AM
This guy is a jackass.. some of his comments are right about the playcalling and speical teams coaching..but saying Tomlin was picked b/c of a money saving situation, and Big Ben is mediocre at best is plain old idiotic.

19ward86
01-13-2008, 12:13 PM
i bet this guy also thinks that charlie frye will be the next hasselbeck,and that rex grossman is the next peyton manning.

Preacher
01-13-2008, 12:27 PM
It's ok. This guy probably has Big Ben confused with that guy who impersonated Ben a couple of years back. no biggie. :smile:

so THATS the problem!!

HometownGal
01-13-2008, 12:45 PM
When I posted another Steelers article from the Trib this morning, I deliberately didn't post this one - the smell from that garbage was overwhelming.

Another mental midget who thinks he's an expert. :poop:

lilyoder6
01-13-2008, 01:01 PM
the way he is saying, "After reflecting on the Steelers season, it's evident that Ben Roethlisberger is a mediocre quarterback at best." i think at times we has cont a play to get more yardage and i doubt a mediocre QB could win a superbowl in his 2nd season..

stillers4me
01-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Soooooooooo.......I guess he 's not voting for Tomlin for Coach of the Year. :hunch:

Rhee Rhee
01-13-2008, 04:32 PM
i say give them one more year... this draft WILL be critical in determining the future of our ST coach... he needs some raw desire and talent for ST and this year the FO better give it to him

Bill
01-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Big Ben is not the problem - I think he is every bit as good as Saint Brady up in New England. If Big Ben had the same protection as Brady, his stats might be better. If Brady had the poor pass protection Roethlisberger has, he would gotten hurt by now and be out of the league.

The Duke
01-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Vince Oddo and John Bloom are added to my long list of "expert" sportswriters

There are a lot of good players on this team who deserved better,

if anything we deserve better writers than this idiots

Galax Steeler
01-14-2008, 04:03 AM
what an idiot he is probably a young and dumb sportswriter.

Dino 6 Rings
01-14-2008, 04:44 PM
The best way to get your name "known" is to say something controversial that will have your article posted into a "rabid" fan base's forum.

Of coarse, if you said this about Brady, Favre or Manning, you'd be laughed at, but you could pick any of the following, call them Mediocre and create an Argument.

Carson Palmer (what has he actually done? With all that offensive talent, shouldn't he have been in the playoffs more than 1 time in 5 years?)

Ben R (I disagree, but the point is, he was on an established team full of veterans that carried him to the superbowl, if you forget that he was stellar in the playoffs in 05 and face planted a windshield in 06.)

Donovan McNabb, (hasn't won the big game, always seem to come up just short of winning it when it really matters. Now is hurt all the time as well.)

Drew Breese. (He had tremendous talent around him in SD and in New O but has never been able to carry his team to victory by making that big play in a big spot.)

Trent Green. (He had a couple good years in system offenses but never acheived the level of greatness that had been bestowed upon his future. )

So its easy to see how some young sports writer could put these names in a hat, draw out Ben's name, plus he probably hates the fact that the Steelers have more fans at his team's home games than his fans, and there you have a controversial article that will get attention from the Rabid Steelers fans.

Mediocre...yeah...Basically, he's the 4th best QB in the league right now. Favre, Brady, Manning, Ben.

That's a fact.

jjpro11
01-14-2008, 05:15 PM
how does that shit even get published?