PDA

View Full Version : Michael Turner anyone?

steelers2685
01-13-2008, 02:01 PM
I realize we have Davenport signed behind Willie for another year or two, and Russell & Davis up and coming, but how nice would it be to get a guy of Turner's caliber in our backfield to compliment Willie and provide that bruising style of football that the Bus brought to us for so many years.

Think we have a shot at him? If so, think our guys will pursue him?

Atlanta Dan
01-13-2008, 02:03 PM
I realize we have Davenport signed behind Willie for another year or two, and Russell & Davis up and coming, but how nice would it be to get a guy of Turner's caliber in our backfield to compliment Willie and provide that bruising style of football that the Bus brought to us for so many years.

Think we have a shot at him? If so, think our guys will pursue him?

Even assuming he would be leaving the Chargers, cannot imagine he fits under the cap room

Steeler in Carolina
01-13-2008, 02:07 PM
He will probably be a starter somewhere.

BlastFurnace
01-13-2008, 02:09 PM
I think we have cap room, but Tuner is going to command more money than the Steelers are willing to pay. Besides, if they are going to spend money this offseason, I would like to see them do it on the OL or DL.

I agree that Davenport is not the answer...even as a compliment to Parker, but I think we may be stuck with him for another year. The concern becomes if Parker is not able to bounce back from the broken leg.

HometownGal
01-13-2008, 02:11 PM
I don't believe Turner would want to be a backup anywhere should the Chargers not come up with the moola, but I don't know that the Chargers would want to let him get away. If LT goes down (and he is on the sidelines at the moment in the Colts/Chargers game with a knee problem) Turner can step right in and take over where LT left off. Not too many backups in the league who are capable of doing that.

steelers2685
01-13-2008, 02:31 PM
He received $2 mil this year as a backup and from what I've been hearing they do not wish to pay him an increased amount since his contract is up this season although he's reliable. Perhaps in two or three years we can have an established line set up then get a back such as Turner. He's playing excellent today as always.

ShutDown24
01-13-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm not attracted to Turner at all. He will go somewhere for big bucks to start his real carreer.

TheManOfSteel
01-13-2008, 03:41 PM
I am all for this one. This guy player Steelers football.

Statik
01-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Need O and DLine before another RB

Rhee Rhee
01-13-2008, 05:25 PM
I am all for this one. This guy player Steelers football.

i dont like him... not one bit... he's talented yes... but how do uk he plays steelers football? what is steelers football in ur opinion?

Big7BenHOF
01-13-2008, 06:17 PM
No way. He wants to be a starter, and he can...but not here.

fansince'76
01-13-2008, 06:21 PM
I think it's comical how folks like to put the cart before the horse. Sure, Turner picks up a lot of yards in relief of LT - that happens when you have arguably the best OL in the league. FIX THE DAMN OL.

lilyoder6
01-13-2008, 09:29 PM
that is true.. look at sproles who was gashing the def on screens, etc..

19ward86
01-13-2008, 09:30 PM
he has been in the mix for the last 3 seasons, i think he has been playing well enough to get paid around 4-5 million a year from a team like the browns, falcons, or even the bengals or bears. he will go somewhere where we dont want him to go, because that is our luck. i would rather see an o-lineman than a running back if you ask me. if you notice the buccaneers and giants both have around 4 backs on their team which can handle the 20+ carries and get 80+ yards with those carries. we have 2 backs who MIGHT get 80yds. not anything against willie or najeh, it is just that our o-line has been sucking.

Steelman16
01-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Honestly, I don't Turner could do squat behind our line. At least WFP knows that he can't rely on solid holes or anything and scrap together what yards he can.

Fix the O-Line first. Then there will be time enough to find a complimentary RB.

steelers2685
01-13-2008, 09:57 PM
There were a number of plays today, however, where there were no holes that Turner turned in to 8+ yard gains, something neither FWP nor Najeh could make even 2 out of. It's the truth. I understand FWP had a magnificent season, but those were tough, tough, tough earned yards. If they build their O-line to suit him like Tampa did back in the late 90s for Dunn to run outside the l.o.s. I would be even more impressed. I just brought up the Turner topic to show that we don't have that kind of reliable, full steam a head for at least 5 yards per carry guy (OK, I think his average is 4.8 or something) but regardless. He carried that team today in a big way with the absence of LT and I'll be excited to see him go somewhere else to be a starter since he won't be coming here. Let's just hope he doesn't end up like Thomas Jones currently lol...

PalmerSteel
01-13-2008, 10:23 PM
no way. someone will overpay him for sure. not us......

jjpro11
01-13-2008, 10:24 PM
lol.. no.. turner will not be a steeler. all of the reasons were pretty much already mentioned.. plus tomlin said he would be focusing on the oline and dline this offseason in free agency and the draft. i'd rather have darren sproles. hes a big threat on 3rd downs and screens.. good returner too. i like those small, powerful running back returners like MJD and sproles. they can break tackles and run by the defenders on returns.

NashvilleCat
01-13-2008, 11:55 PM
I'm not attracted to Turner at all. He will go somewhere for big bucks to start his real career.
Exactly, he wants to be a starter which means he also wants starter money. The guy who lead the NFL in rushing before he broke his leg needs a real offensive line more than we need more running backs. We can get a draft pick or a lesser free agent for depth and running back is a position that is amongst the least of our worries. First things first.

Steeldude
01-14-2008, 02:26 AM
the steelers aren't going to use FA money for a backup RB. after addressing the O-line they will be strapped for cash. besides, turner's price will be way too high for the steelers.

Galax Steeler
01-14-2008, 05:08 AM
No way will turner be a steeler we will not pay him what he wants and we need to spend our money elsewhere.

Lord Stiller
01-14-2008, 10:32 AM
We can grab a good RB in the draft which is LOADED this year with Offensive Tackles and Running Backs.

If we sign a free agent, it will likely be an OL or DL or maybe WR

yinzer-inseattle
01-14-2008, 11:42 AM
What makes everyone think he is great? As anyone can see the Charger O line man handled the Colts Line without Freeney. It will be nice when we have an O line good enough to make Dookie look good.

and Willie look even better

tony hipchest
01-14-2008, 11:43 AM
alot of people thought green bay needed to trade their #1 and #2 picks away for m. turner before the season began.

instead they started ryan grant midway through the season and watched him lead the league in rushing from that point on.

grant will easilly be 10X cheaper (maybe closer to 20X) than turner, next season.

that spells a big fat "no" in regards to the steelers picking him up. maybe we can pick duce staley back up (with a forklift).

SteelerFanInCA
01-14-2008, 12:44 PM
We definitely need O line help before we even consider a guy like Turner. Who would open up the holes for him with no line?

Dino 6 Rings
01-14-2008, 01:17 PM
While we are daydreaming, maybe we can trade a 4th round 09 draft pick and a 5th round 10 draft pick to the Rams for Steven Jackson.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
01-14-2008, 04:45 PM
maybe we can pick duce staley back up (with a forklift).

:sofunny::sofunny:

SteelersJW
01-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Yeah, there's no way [I]we[I] would get him. He'll start somewhere else.

revefsreleets
01-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Turner was fun to watch at Northern Illinois, and he's played well in the NFL. But I have serious reservations about his ability to carry the load as an every down back. I have him in the same vein as Marion Barber, a quality back-up/situational back, but probably only effective in a dual back system, and you can't pay two guys splitting time big bucks.

Rhee Rhee
01-16-2008, 02:33 AM
Turner was fun to watch at Northern Illinois, and he's played well in the NFL. But I have serious reservations about his ability to carry the load as an every down back. I have him in the same vein as Marion Barber, a quality back-up/situational back, but probably only effective in a dual back system, and you can't pay two guys splitting time big bucks.

at the moment i'd say turner is the better runner but as for potential barber is waay ahead of turner... if someone plays with that much emotion and that much anger in their running style they're bound to be good... barber is only scratching the surface of his talent and will only get better... turner however has been buried behind LT and does most of his work in mop up time... look for barber to have a huge 2009 season as the cowboys starting RB (i may eat my words because he could get injured but i trust barberto come through for me)...