PDA

View Full Version : A New Stadium

Rhee Rhee
01-14-2008, 01:43 AM
well guys idk it seems like we're posting on the same threads everyday so im trying to add a little more flavor...

what do you guys think about a new stadium (preferably a dome)?

the whole dome thing has worked out for the colts... it's as loud as a 1000 cranky babies on a plane...

The new stadium doesn't even have to be a dome.. it can be like the one in houston or arizona with the retractable roof so none of u season ticket holders will have to suffer to much in the winter...

This would also soolve the grass problem that so many of you were complaining about during the miami game...

just imagine how fast "FAST" willie parker could be on artificial turf...

Heinz field is relativvely new so i'll wait patiently for a few more years...

43SteelCurtainRevolution
01-14-2008, 01:58 AM
Yeah, Heinz Field is a little too new to be replaced. And also, having an outdoor field in Pittsburgh, PA is the image of the team. It shows that we are tough and can play anywhere, despite challenging weather conditions. It shows that we're not a pansy fair-weather team that can't play in the snow or rain. I like that image, and a dome would take that away from us. We do, however, need to think about options other than a grass field.
CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT YEAR!!!
GO STEELERS

JackHammer
01-14-2008, 02:01 AM
The only way I'll tolerate us playing in a dome is if I'm DEAD.

The Duke
01-14-2008, 02:10 AM
Personally I hate domes. I prefer the old school outdoors in the elements with grass and mud, just like Heinz Field

Yeah, the colts are very safe in their little dome protected from everything, but I wanna see them in the mud and snow in pittsburgh, they wouldn't survive, their players just get used to being indoors.

I have no complains about Heinz Field and I can't wait to go to a game there, and I sincerely hope they keep the grass

it can be like the one in houston or arizona with the retractable roof so none of u season ticket holders will have to suffer to much in the winter...

real fans stay in the game no matter the conditions

:jawdrop: I remember when he broke his leg in artificial turf, but I don't really blame it on the turf, it just happens

Rhee Rhee
01-14-2008, 02:44 AM
:jawdrop: I remember when he broke his leg in artificial turf, but I don't really blame it on the turf, it just happens

haha i knew someone was gonna bring that up:sofunny:

well the saying goes $H1T happens...

The Duke
01-14-2008, 02:51 AM
well the saying goes $H1T happens...

exactly :sofunny:

jjpro11
01-14-2008, 03:57 AM
this thread needs to be revived in about 35 years... lol. but i'll go on record as saying that i will never want a dome. the only place where domes should be are places like arizona.. where the weather can get too dangerously hot for the players and fans. the teams up north need to deal with the conditions. thats part of the reason people actually live in the north and dont all flock to the south. you learn to live with it, and maybe you can use it to your advantage against teams from the south.

Galax Steeler
01-14-2008, 05:11 AM
No way do we get a dome in the burgh playing outside is our way of football.

Rick5895
01-14-2008, 07:42 AM
I recently brough my son to his first NFL game at Hienz field, the regular season loss to Jacksonville. Even though we lost, it was an absolute blast. The weather conditions that day made it a helluva alot more fun, I couldn't imagine travelling to Pittsburgh to watch the Steelers play in a dome. Any Steeler fan that wants a dome should have to turn in their colors!!!

7/39/43
01-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Dome's are for P_ _ _ y's! Bring on the weather be a man

fansince'76
01-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Yeah, good luck getting the folks in Pittsburgh to pony up the money for another new stadium so soon after HF was basically ramrodded down their throats in the PA legislature. :coffee:

Borski
01-14-2008, 10:11 AM
What?? I don't mind turf to much, even though I prefer grass. but a dome?? thats for pansy teams.

Lord Stiller
01-14-2008, 10:30 AM
We have a new stadium, it's called Heinz Field

BlastFurnace
01-14-2008, 10:34 AM
well guys idk it seems like we're posting on the same threads everyday so im trying to add a little more flavor...

the whole dome thing has worked out for the colts... it's as loud as a 1000 cranky babies on a plane...

The new stadium doesn't even have to be a dome.. it can be like the one in houston or arizona with the retractable roof so none of u season ticket holders will have to suffer to much in the winter...

This would also soolve the grass problem that so many of you were complaining about during the miami game...

A dome has basically robbed, ruined, and taken away the entire identity of the Minnesota Vikings. Granted, they don't have the history we do, but look at highlight reels of the Vikings of the 70's and it's classic, outdoor, snow driven football.

Now, they are the north's version of the Atlanta Falcons and their identity is gone thanks to that dome.

No thanks. I don't want that for my favorite football team.

SteelerFanInCA
01-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Must be the off season already. :smile:

plenewken
01-14-2008, 12:49 PM
I guess everyone could see the difference between our so-called grass (a friggin embarrassment) and the Pats turf. Last Saturday, our field was being ripped apart by the players although there hadn't been a game played at Heinz Field during the 2 weeks prior.
Yesterday I could see that Gillette Stadium was in great shape.
The weather in Pittsburgh is not as bad as in Boston and yet our field looked like sh*t.
Hope this junk is replaced during the off-season.

Dino 6 Rings
01-14-2008, 01:20 PM
How about they just get rid of those ridiculous ketchup bottles in the endzone...please.

SteelerTim
01-14-2008, 02:59 PM
No way would I ever want to see us move into a dome. I also like the grass and horrible field conditions. It gives the place a different atmosphere from other stadiums. What I would have liked was for the design of Heinz Field to take into account the accoustics. I am envious of places like Seattle where it is deafening at times. I know our fans are twice as rabid as the seachicken fans so I can only assume the open ended design of our stadium takes away part of the home field advantage. The seattle stadium has these butt cheek things on the top which reflects the noise back down onto the field. I wonder if HF could be changed in some way to increase the crowd noise. I know closing the open end would make it significantly louder but I kind of like the open end.

Of course maybe we could just pipe the noise in like Indy :wink02:

Elvis
01-14-2008, 03:07 PM
Maybe if the Stadium is like the one that they have in Dallas now.. with the retractible roof or Arizona's.. That way they can keep it closed during the week heading up the game and then open it up on sunday morning brite and early and let the elements take over..
:tt02:

tony hipchest
01-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Yeah, good luck getting the folks in Pittsburgh to pony up the money for another new stadium so soon after HF was basically ramrodded down their throats in the PA legislature. :coffee:
i shit golden bricks. perhaps we can use them to build it.

wasnt more money owed on the 3 rivers stadium loan than it originally cost to build, when it was finally imploded?

yeah, the taxpayers wouldnt be too happy to know they were paying for 3 stadiums at once.

revefsreleets
01-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Weird thread. Heinz is what? 6 years old. And I quite like the stadium (I do wish that it'd have been closed off to capture crowd noise better).

Jeremy
01-14-2008, 03:44 PM
The Colts pump noise in to the RCA Dome.

HometownGal
01-14-2008, 03:52 PM
yeah, the taxpayers wouldnt be too happy to know they were paying for 3 stadiums at once.

Yeppers. We're still paying for TRS though it was reduced to dust years ago.

We don't need a new stadium. Though I am not a huge fan of Heinz Field, it serves the purpose quite well. Football is meant to be played outdoors. Did anyone play pee wee, HS or college football in a dome?

jjpro11
01-14-2008, 04:22 PM
at least heinz field has its unique home field aspect.. its kicker hell for anyone other than jeff reed and the field itself is one of a kind. lol.

rbryan
01-14-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why you tear down a 30 year old stadium to begin with. Seems they could have done one hell of a renovation with a fraction of the money spent on the two new ones.

steelpride12
01-14-2008, 05:06 PM
Na the Steelers all their time have been an outside team and most of the fans and im sure the team is just more comfortable with the situation their in now. Plus with a new Pens arena and Heinz field is not even old at all so if we were to make plans on a dome don't be counting to hear anything about it for many years to come.

plenewken
01-14-2008, 05:36 PM
I don't like the horrible conditions and based on our recent performances at Heinz Field, it seems that the Steelers don't like them too much either. Home advantage my @**. LOL

SteelCityMan786
01-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Yeppers. We're still paying for TRS though it was reduced to dust years ago.

We don't need a new stadium. Though I am not a huge fan of Heinz Field, it serves the purpose quite well. Football is meant to be played outdoors. Did anyone play pee wee, HS or college football in a dome?

Hmmm, the least football friendly style of field I have played on is Astroturf.

If I had to play indoors or outdoors with FieldTurf, I'd much rather be outdoors with FieldTurf.

srk173
01-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Domes are the worst. I went to a steelers regular season game at Indy and it was the worst. I was five rows from the field and had to stand the whole time because everyone stood the whole game since it was 70 and not cold or raining. Even worse the Colts fans were drinking sissy fruity mixer drinks and sipping on perrier. Domes are the worst and should be torn down everywhere.

SteelCityMan786
01-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Domes are the worst. I went to a steelers regular season game at Indy and it was the worst. I was five rows from the field and had to stand the whole time because everyone stood the whole game since it was 70 and not cold or raining. Even worse the Colts fans were drinking sissy fruity mixer drinks and sipping on perrier. Domes are the worst and should be torn down everywhere.

Yeah and rip the roofs off the retractable roof stadiums.

verks36
01-14-2008, 09:01 PM
ahhh NOOO

the steelers wont install turf they aint going to install no dome

I rather put all the pieces from 3 rivers stadium get some glue and paste them together than have a dome

Stu Pidasso
01-14-2008, 09:33 PM
I love Heinz Field the way it is.

But good luck ever getting a Super Bowl anywhere near it.

Stlrs4Life
01-14-2008, 10:37 PM
The only way I'll tolerate us playing in a dome is if I'm DEAD.

I agree. No way we put up a Dome. What is wrong with playing within the elements of the weather. Both teams have to play on it.

stlrtruck
01-15-2008, 10:19 AM
A dome in Da 'Burgh? Are you freakin' nuts? I come to Pittsburgh for a football game not a horse race. I love the natural weather conditions. I love sitting in cold, freezing, and sub-zero temperatures - and I love my Steelers playing in an open stadium.

However, one thing I'd love to see happen at Heinz Field is shut in the south endzone. Forget the media magnet view of dahn-tahn and enable the stadium to loud and proud as it was in Three Rivers!!!

SteelersJW
01-15-2008, 04:49 PM
I think we'll be playing at Heinz Field for quite a while. Look at how long we played at Three Rivers. Besides, when it is time to get a new field, it will be another field. The players like the natural grass and hardcoreness of a field. Domes are for pussies!!

sherlock
01-16-2008, 05:25 PM
I`ve only seen Heinz Field on the telly but I like it.
I like the fact it`s open to the elements .It has character and an old-shool charm,a bit like the team perhaps.

Tony19
01-16-2008, 08:44 PM
A dome? In Pittsburgh?

Pittsburgh is a steel town. The toughest of the tough. I loved the Miami game, seeing Ben and Hines get dirty and win a tight, defensive battle. The Steelers are a rough team, who plays in rough conditions. Our stadium should be like our jerseys, tough and simple. Flat, matte black and yellow, and snow, mud and rain. Not navy, green and gold with our cute like ram's horns on the helmet and our pretty, astroturfed dome.

The day the Steelers play in a dome is the day I stop being a fan. And I don't see either of those anytime soon.

Rhee Rhee
01-17-2008, 01:05 AM
haha it seems like no one wants a dome... o well i'll wait another 20 years to see what u guys think..

The Duke
01-17-2008, 01:15 AM
haha it seems like no one wants a dome... o well i'll wait another 20 years to see what u guys think..

will be the same answer.

steeler football is played outdoors and will always be played outdoors

JackHammer
01-17-2008, 02:44 AM

You stubborn as all hell. Pittsburghers will NEVER put the Steelers in a dome :tt02: Maybe you'll get some compromise since the Rooney's seem interested in putting an arena team in the Pens' new arena.

Preacher
01-17-2008, 02:48 AM
Personally, instead of just outdoor games, I would like them to pump some water from the rivers onto the field the day before games in the winter.

Let's see how other teams like that!

83-Steelers-43
01-17-2008, 05:51 PM
I can deal with a mascot. I'm not going to take the Fort Pitt bridge because we have a mascot. It's really not that big of a deal even though you would have thought the world ended the day it was announced.

I could deal with cheerleaders.

There is no way in hell I could deal with a dome. Eitherway it doesn't matter. Heinz Field is new compared to many other stadiums in the league. Personally, I have no problem with Heinz. Love my seats. Love the views. Love the team. Hate the prices. $7.00 for watered down beer.

There is no way I'm willing to give up this for a freakin' dome.........

xSWrmZfpyF0&feature=related

steel striker
01-19-2008, 09:10 PM
It would not be football in the burgh with a dome my god man! no steeler fan I know would stand for such a non sense. It does seem like field turf though is in our futture here. I guess time will tell and, I still am a fan of the gass surface. I mean I watch the packers vs the sea hags last weekend and, it was great seeing them play in that snow storm.

LVSteelersfan
01-20-2008, 02:53 PM
They need to tear down the existing domes. Football is meant to be a man's game, not the game the NFL has turned into where you can't touch and offensive player without a penalty. Rock em Sock em in the outdoors in the winter. WOO HOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

noto45
01-20-2008, 03:13 PM
dome? dome? did you say dome???? (in my jimmora voice)

HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SteelCityMan786
01-20-2008, 03:15 PM
dome? dome? did you say dome???? (in my jimmora voice)

HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dome? Did You Say Dome? You Kidding Me? A Dome?

HELL NO!

changAlang24
01-22-2008, 03:05 AM

DOME ?/?!?!?!??!? NO NONONONONNO WAYYYY!!!!
HELL NO!
DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE U POST THIS! HEINZ IS RELATIVELY NEW!

Rhee Rhee
01-23-2008, 02:59 AM
DOME ?/?!?!?!??!? NO NONONONONNO WAYYYY!!!!
HELL NO!
DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE U POST THIS! HEINZ IS RELATIVELY NEW!

alex get rid of my signature and dont diss lol

changAlang24
01-23-2008, 03:06 AM
....watt???!??!?!?!?

alittlejazzbird
01-23-2008, 01:43 PM

I didn't read all the replies to this post, so apologies if someone has posted something similar...all due respect, Rhee Rhee, you clearly aren't from Pittsburgh, because if you were, you would never have started a thread like this.

If you want to amuse yourself sometime, go to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette's online archives and read about what happened in the year or two leading up to the implosion of Three Rivers (I was there for that, by the way - it was something to see!) and construction of Heinz Field. The hue and cry from the masses over who was going to pay for that stadium was not to be believed. It cost more than one local politician a job, and created deep rifts among the public and private sectors that probably haven't been resolved to this day.

It will have to be many, MANY more years before anyone would dare to mention yet another stadium. And a true Steeler fan would never sign off on a dome. They're for sissies.

OneForTheToe
01-23-2008, 01:52 PM
At the very least we should probably pay off TRS first. Then, I say will build an outdoor staduim that floats on one of the rivers - now that would make us unuiqe. :wave:

jasonhightower
01-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Hmmm, the least football friendly style of field I have played on is Astroturf.

If I had to play indoors or outdoors with FieldTurf, I'd much rather be outdoors with FieldTurf.

I agree, add FieldTurf and pump in some real mud...

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2008, 09:45 PM
At the very least we should probably pay off TRS first. Then, I say will build an outdoor staduim that floats on one of the rivers - now that would make us unuiqe. :wave:

LOL, good stuff. Got a good laugh. Thank you. :cheers:

SteelCityMan786
01-24-2008, 09:53 PM

Hmmmm creative. :thumbsup:

D.J.
01-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Nothing wrong with a dome. I'll never forget those sea of baby blue pom poms in the ear drum busting Astrodome when we used to play the Oilers back in 70's, 80's and 90's. That is certainly one advantage we had at Three Rivers that was lost with Heinz Field's design. Crowd Noise. There were times after big games at Three Rivers that my ears were ringing from the noise. A dome would certainly help bring the noise factor back but it is too late for that now as it should have been built in 01 from that perspective.
As for the field, we do need and should have several seasons ago, installed artificial turf at Heinz Field. The grass experiment is so OVER!

lilyoder6
01-29-2008, 01:25 PM
yea.. then the steelers would have to pay thousands of money to have boats transport the fans/players to the stadiuma nd back... and i wouldn't want a dome...i like the outdoors and the weather inclement... i think it's fun to be outside when there is a snow storm...