PDA

View Full Version : It Should Have Been Us...

tony hipchest
01-14-2008, 11:34 AM
...going to foxboro.

yes im gonna cry over spilt milk and the 2 rediculous losses to denver and the jets (nevermind the 3 to the ravens, cardinals, and jagoffs) that landed us in the #4 seed.

it shouldve been us hosting the titans and then travelling to indy to face the sleeping colts. it shoulda been tomlin facing his master and sending him off into retirement with a loss.

and it shoulda been the hottest rookie coach facing the grizzled vet who sits atop the league in the afcc game.

now we probably woulda lost but i would much rather see the field mopped up with the steelers by arguably one of this generations best teams in another champ game loss, than the early exit we faced last weekend.

this goes along the lines of the old addage that "its better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all".

whether we deserved it or earned it (or not), it still shoulda been us!

what a short season... :dang:

MACH1
01-14-2008, 11:40 AM
Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda :bonk:

fansince'76
01-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Look at the bright side - last season was even shorter.

revefsreleets
01-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Horrible ST's.
Offensively bad offensive line.

These were problems that haunted us all season, and the real reason why it just wasn't meant to be.

tony hipchest
01-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Horrible ST's.

These were problems that haunted us all season, and the real reason why it just wasn't meant to be.so close, yet so far away....

dammitt! it still shoulda been us!

so if it were between the early exit we were shown or another ass kicking at the hands of the patriots (again next week) what would everybody choose?

personally, i woulda liked to seen ben rack up another 2 wins on his playoff resume along with tomlin. it woulda been good for future reference and experience, even with another heatbreaking loss to cap it off.

HometownGal
01-14-2008, 02:03 PM
so if it were between the early exit we were shown or another ass kicking at the hands of the patriots (again next week) what would everybody choose?

personally, i woulda liked to seen ben rack up another 2 wins on his playoff resume along with tomlin. it woulda been good for future reference and experience, even with another heatbreaking loss to cap it off.

I feel your pain, Tony, and as much as I hate saying this - it just wasn't meant to be this season. To be honest, I'm glad that we were eliminated by a team that gritted it out on hard work and skill than to lose and be embarrassed by a team* with a HC* and owner* who advocate cheating and deception.

At least the Steelers can say that they went down fighting. :tt02:

memphissteelergirl
01-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Horrible ST's.

These were problems that haunted us all season, and the real reason why it just wasn't meant to be.

What he said....

revefsreleets
01-14-2008, 02:37 PM
And I have to say, I'd rather leave early then see us lose to the Pats, especially if this becomes some weird kind of "legacy season" where we'd always be a footnote of being the team that lost to them in the AFCCG. Let the Bolts have that "honor". It'll look good in their trophy case as the team that never could quite make it over the hump.

Steelerfreak58
01-14-2008, 03:52 PM
While I did catch myself saying "that should be us playing" a few times this weekend I am still optimistic about the next season in 8 months. There were very many bright spots and plenty of great players to work with.

1. Ben had an awesome year despite the fact that he was constantly sacked, knocked down, hurried. He is also stepping up as a team leader and mature QB never knocking anyones play all year long and staying positive even in the end.

2. Willie Parker until his injury was leading the league in rushing and headed to the Pro Bowl.

3. Heath Miller while in my opinion still way too under utilized continues to show he is the BEST tight end in the league.

4. Hines Ward continues to be a clutch go to guy in 3rd down situations and is still tough as nails.

5. Santonio stepped up and matured and made awesome plays this year.

6. Defense continued to be a tough playing hard nosed unit even though they suffered a lot of injuries and set backs. They just need to toughen up on 3rd and long situations! Woodley showed he is ready as well now lets hope Timmons shows the same qualities this year.

Over all this team is on its way up and getting better not in a declining state we have plenty to be thankful for as fans we won our Division and played a tough game in the playoffs against a very respectable Jaguar team that has earned a lot of respect throughout the league.

memphissteelergirl
01-14-2008, 04:05 PM
[QUOTE=Steelerfreak58;356489]While I did catch myself saying "that should be us playing" a few times this weekend I am still optimistic about the next season in 8 months. There were very many bright spots and plenty of great players to work with.

8 months.....withdrawl....already....beginning.....A AAAAUGH!!! :thud:

Dino 6 Rings
01-14-2008, 04:49 PM
And um...the way we played down the stretch and the way our "flaws" were way exposed when it mattered, Oline, Sts, Tackling...there is no gaurentee we would have even beaten the Titans.

A mobile QB would have given our pass rush fits this year and that Defense would have shut down Najeh and put the entire game on Ben and guess what...Ben would have got sacked a couple times and had a short time to make smart decisions with the passes...so no...it shouldn't have been us.

We needed to beat the Jets and Cards and Broncos to get the bi-week, and we didn't. And we need to beat the Jags to get to NE or Indy...and we didn't.

steelers2685
01-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Next year.... be ready.

Freak, I really like your explanations, particularly #'s 2, 3, and 4. I do not understand for the life of me why they utilized the TE's so much as well as effectively in the first four games of the season and then failed to do so down the remaining stretch? To me, we should be using Miller like Dallas uses Witten, Washington uses Cooley, and the Giants have been using Boss as of late.

Steel_Bus_24
01-14-2008, 07:26 PM
We had too many flaws this season as others have pointed out.....Lets not act like those baby Bungle fans and whine like they did and still do about our amazing '05 team, like how we have "their" SB

Steeler in Carolina
01-14-2008, 08:00 PM
I can't stand New England, but this puts it in perspective what they have done this season. They did not lose the games they were heavily favored (like us vs. Jets, Ravens, Cardinals). For 16 weeks, they came out victorious.

Rhee Rhee
01-14-2008, 09:53 PM
i think if we utilized hines and heath a little more in that jax game we woulda had it...

next years offensive game plan should go as such...

run willie

pass to heath or hines

throw long to santonio... (this is not 1st down, 2nd down, third down but should generally look like this...)

The_WARDen
01-15-2008, 12:17 PM
no it shouldn't have been us... You are what you are. The Steelers were the #4 seed for a reason, they earned it.

If a horse had stripes, it'd be a zebra.

fansince'76
01-15-2008, 12:29 PM
no it shouldn't have been us... You are what you are. The Steelers were the #4 seed for a reason, they earned it.

If a horse had stripes, it'd be a zebra.

And by that rationale, we shouldn't have sniffed the SB in '05 being the #6 seed.

Steeldude
01-16-2008, 01:01 AM
if the steelers couldn't beat the jags then they didn't deserve to go to the SB. i always want to the steelers to play the toughest teams in the playoffs. why wish for weak competition? to me that's like saying "i hope we don't play them. they are a tough team".

i doubt the steelers would have beaten the colts. manning would have probably carved up the secondary worse than brady did. the steelers had too many weaknesses to overcome.

i couldn't stand the fact that the pats weren't in the way during the 2005 SB trip.