PDA

View Full Version : Why the Steelers will be great in '08...

spiketg
01-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Well, first of all we know we have very few easy games, forcing us to play at our consistent best but heres why I think we'll be outstanding in '08 :P.

1. Our QB - Big Ben has worked harder than any QB this season and has made amazing plays despite getting horrific protection in the pocket, now, providing we get a good or even average O-Line next season then if he can be the 3rd ranked QB in the NFL with that kinda protection then imagine what he'll do. I'm sure you'll all agree for example that Brady is only so great because he gets an unthinkable amount of time in the pocket.

2. Our RB's - not much to say :P I mean Willie P is gonna work harder than ever when he has recovered, after a bad streak this season he already said he was going to do this even before his accident. I believe that our opponents will be less expectant of our running game since its been said we'll probably mix it up more next season with our passing.

3. Defense - we all saw how our Defense regained some respect in that playoff game, if they'd played like they have been then it'd have been an easy blowout, a few draft picks here perhaps just to strengthen it?

4. Coach Tomlin - Wow, what a first season: Injuries, the playoffs, fake punt plays, and of course ... going for 2 and so on. You cannot say this guy has had a bad season, for such a young coach, even to finish top of the division is a great achievement. He can only get better.

well just to spread a few positives, hope u enjoyed, your thoughts?

1 last thing

GO STEELERS :helmet: :tt02: :jammin:

19ward86
01-14-2008, 06:10 PM
i had a browns fan over today before i went to work out, and he asked me..."do you think he is great, everyone is so high on him and say he is soooo amazing but he hasnt done anything compared to cowher..." he ment tomlin if you havnt noticed. i told him i dont think he is amazing but he is a good coach, and that players are more important. i think tomlin is a great inexperienced coach, if he wasnt with the steelers he would of had a losing season. i think that it wasnt all him that had a good season but it was the fact that he managed the game without screwing it up, that is the difference between him and marinelli(lions coach). i really hope we can be great.

Preacher
01-14-2008, 06:30 PM
i think tomlin is a great inexperienced coach,

I think that is an EXCELLENT way of putting it.

rich4eagle
01-14-2008, 06:56 PM
I have been a long time Steeler fan............and not a blind homer. I think the Steelers have some big time weaknesses to address. First off the O line sucks ..........needs major upgrades. The secondary can use help as well. And the Steelers need another real back besides Willie Parker

OL priority one another RB priority two and and a stud DB priority three

And play calling that goes for instead of to lose at end game.................and we can all decide who needs to go on that............cause no guts no glory

Rhee Rhee
01-14-2008, 09:50 PM
cause no guts no glory

true dat...

the giants went conservative in their game and came away with a win... (which i thought was very lucky)... playin conservative dont get u anywhere... but i trust tomlin and hopefully next year he'll call something else on 3rd and 6:wink02:

slippy
01-14-2008, 09:58 PM
speaking of the giants, did you notice that a furious 4th quarter pass rush really improved a secondary make up of practice squad players?

we need OL and DL! a second RB and another CB are a distant third and fourth priority.

verks36
01-14-2008, 10:48 PM
If we dont get our OL fixed i serious doubts for next year.

Come one guys think

Our best O line men gone.
Our D line needs to be revamped with some youthful pass rushers
We dont know how willie will overcome his injury.
Timmons and Woodley are unproven
Troy doesnt look like the troy we are used to seeing
Our special teams sucks and that will never change
Our Defense is looking old in some spots
Corner is a question
Will Ryan Clark Fully recover

Plus from the looks of it unlike this year I schedule is tough

There are a ton of questions going into '08 and I am not so sure if the steelers will be great in 08

sorry to be a downer

paw-n-maul-u
01-15-2008, 12:58 AM
If we dont get our OL fixed i serious doubts for next year.

Come one guys think

Our best O line men gone. And the beat goes on. Obviously we need some draft help, and hopefully a little FA money, but that problem will be fixed.
Our D line needs to be revamped with some youthful pass rushersAnd so it shall. Mikey T said so.
We dont know how willie will overcome his injury. Yes we do. It's not a serious break at all. He'll be perfectly healthy for training camp. It's not a bad break. Repeat. It's not a bad break
Timmons and Woodley are unproven As was James Harrison, but we let porter go. Woodley I feel outplayed Haggans almost all season when he was in.
Troy doesnt look like the troy we are used to seeingAn offseason of rest and getting the body healthy will do wonders. He's been playing on a bum knee, shoulder, everything, all season.
Our special teams sucks and that will never changeTouche'. This is the only
Our Defense is looking old in some spots
Corner is a questionEh. We could use another young body (Brandon Flowers from VT in Rd. 2, please), but until Ryan clark went down, I'm pretty sure we were #1 pass D in the league, And still finished in the top 10.
Will Ryan Clark Fully recoverLet us pray. I'm pretty sure he's got an injury tho that shouldnt be too much of a problem. He'll be back next year.

Plus from the looks of it unlike this year I schedule is toughTouche' again.

There are a ton of questions going into '08 and I am not so sure if the steelers will be great in 08

sorry to be a downer

Well hey debbie downer.

revefsreleets
01-15-2008, 08:48 AM
We are probably about 4-5 players away from being where we need to be, and I have a feeling one or two of those guys are sleepers already on the team. It DESTROYS me to hear people run down Parker. The dude was on track to gain the rushing title (or be a close second) behind an offensive line that is an insult to turnstile's everywhere to call a turnstile.

tony hipchest
01-15-2008, 09:13 AM
It DESTROYS me to hear people run down Parker. The dude was on track to gain the rushing title (or be a close second) behind an offensive line that is an insult to turnstile's everywhere to call a turnstile.agree 100%.

parker woulda made one hell of a difference in the jags playoff loss.

did anyone see parker run through a wide open hole this season? all his runs through the line seemed like ones where he barely squeezed through.

did anyone see parker make a gain like his 75 yarder in the superbowl, where you watch the replay and you instantly see the design of the linemen pulling and blocking to perfection, exactly as the play was drawn up?

just about every run this year was all on willie. his superbowl record run was all on the line and design.

willie, ben, heath, santonio are all 5 years in the league or younger. i cant think of a group of 4 young skill players at each offensive position that i would rather have going into the future.

spiketg
01-15-2008, 10:22 AM
willie, ben, heath, santonio are all 5 years in the league or younger. i cant think of a group of 4 young skill players at each offensive position that i would rather have going into the future.

the steelers team, on the whole are great for their age, including tomlin... all they need is experience... I do think our o-line is what stops us being amazing atm. I mean, if they can't open up the line with blocks, then parker can't run, and if they can't protect Ben then we can't make good passing plays.

I believe thats the key, we sort that :P, and we could win the Superbowl :P

alittlejazzbird
01-15-2008, 10:50 AM
We are probably about 4-5 players away from being where we need to be, and I have a feeling one or two of those guys are sleepers already on the team. It DESTROYS me to hear people run down Parker. The dude was on track to gain the rushing title (or be a close second) behind an offensive line that is an insult to turnstile's everywhere to call a turnstile.

Agreed. Willie Parker needs no defending from the likes of me, but I think it's very unfair to turn on him when he was forced to perform behind that O-line. The kid is a phenomenal player and once he actually gets a sliver of daylight to run through on the line, he'll be back to Super Bowl form.

My biggest concern is that next year's schedule, considering all the teams on it and the seasons those teams had/are having (which I know is no guarantee of how they will be next season), is by far the hardest in my recent memory. It's horrible. Can we fill all the problem O- and D-line spots by next season (maybe not so much the D-line - I think some of those fixes are already on the team)? I hope so, because if we can't at least make dramatic improvement, we aren't going to win a lot of games.

We have one of the best QBs in the league, but I fear for his health and safety next season if there isn't exponential improvement on that line.

Successfully address the most glaring problems on the lines, and this team will compete with the best next season. But if most or all of the same problems exist on opening day, I fear we'll struggle to win five games.

I love this team as much as any of you, and maybe more than some; I'm just being realistic.

SteelersJW
01-15-2008, 03:46 PM
That's right baby!!!

Rotorhead
01-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Anyone that says we need help on the Dline to generate a pass rush must not know how a 3-4 works. It is the OLB's that generate the main pass rush in our def scheme. The tackles are there to clog run lanes and soak up blockers. I think our OLB issues will be fine for next season and we will have a pass rush again. We could use another CB cause, as much as I like Townsend, he needs to be upgraded. I think despite our difficult schedule we should still win the AFCN and will be in the playoffs yet again. I feel injuries will be the deciding factor on how far into the playoffs we will go. The loss of Clark, Parker and Smith (with patch work performances by Troy and Ward) were bigger than any other factor this season. I just want a healthy team heading into next seasons playoffs. One other good thing from this year is we got some key playing time for some younger players to build on.

paw-n-maul-u
01-15-2008, 04:23 PM
A few posts I've read throughout mention the trend of pass happy offenses like Pats, Colts, Boys, Saints, Lions, Eagles ... But usually we stop the run, and we FORCE the teams to beat us w/ their QB.

The thought of spending a first day draft pick on corner, and this could be a VERY good corner class (Jenkins USF, Jenkins OSU, Talib or whatever his name is from Kansas, Cason) ... is really appealing ...

1, 2 ... S. Baker, B. Flowers

lilyoder6
01-15-2008, 04:48 PM
jenkins is returning to o state next yr... so thats out of the running.. justin king fromo psu declared he could be a good pick up either in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Dino 6 Rings
01-15-2008, 04:57 PM
We will be Great in 08 because we are the Steelers.

The STs will improve. The people we need to get healthy will get healthy, we will make good draft choices, the Oline will be fixed to be better as pass protection, Ben will learn to throw the ball away when he needs to, or chuck it to the check down instead of forcing it deep. The defense will be coached up, as always, the Coaches will have learned from mistakes, the running game is always fantastic in Pittsburgh, and our receivers, Ward, Holmes, Miller and _____ whoever we get to be the legit #3 will be awesome again.

Its on. 8 months is too long to wait.

Dylan
01-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Tomlin had the job that Torre had with the Yankees, just keep the players minds on their jobs and let them do the work. but i think he did more than that which means to a spectacular future

revefsreleets
01-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Why fear the schedule next year? If the team improves (and it should), it's up to the other teams to keep up with us, and not the opposite. How many teams on that schedule have the tradition and pedigree that the Steelers do? I actually prefer to see the Steelers play good teams week in and out, since we've all seen how shitilly they can play down to the level of the bad teams.

lilyoder6
01-15-2008, 06:18 PM
i think that this sch will prove to the non beleivers that pitt is a elite team..

Elvis
01-15-2008, 06:40 PM
:tt02:
First of all for all of you that think that the Steelers need to get some passrushers at DE... our 3-4 defense does not depend on the DE's to put pressure on the QB... The D Linemen's job is to take up as many of the OLinemen's blocks as possible and let our LB's do the passrushing. Our 2 DE' s are more less just like DT's .
I think that our biggest need need's to be taken care of in Free Agency myself. A proven Center would be a very nice start and then the OG to take Faneca's spot at LG. I also think that the Steelers can take care of one question mark by resigning Max Starks and let him play at LT.

rich4eagle
01-15-2008, 07:02 PM
true dat...

the giants went conservative in their game and came away with a win... (which i thought was very lucky)... playin conservative dont get u anywhere... but i trust tomlin and hopefully next year he'll call something else on 3rd and 6:wink02:

Actually, me was thinking on second and five play action fake hand off and quick pass to a tight end who blocked and released as LB's came up to cover run.....first down..........game over:smile:

lilyoder6
01-15-2008, 09:42 PM
well our draft plans depends on if we can resign starks, and somehow re-sign alan... i would say on the 1st day we will get a CB...

Edman
01-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Are you kidding me? The Steelers will suck next year. Wanna know why?

-The FO sits on their hands during free agency.
-The Rooneys are cheap.
-We don't sign anybody in Free Agency.
-Our FO is horrible. Colbert's an idiot. We fans know what's best for the team.
-Tomlin is a token hire because the Rooneys are cheap.

Hey, it's the offseason. We're gonna be hearing this for the next couple months, so we may as well become familiar with it. :wink02:

In all seriousness, yes the Steelers will be a better team next year, as long as they revamp both Lines and avoid the injury bug like this year. Now is when Tomlin begins to put his stamp on the team.