PDA

View Full Version : Repeal the Mel Blount rule!

Mosca
01-14-2008, 08:44 PM
There's too much advantage to the receivers now; quarterbacks going 26/26 in the playoffs? Third and short a passing down? Most teams consider the end zone fade a gimmie touchdown when it's executed properly now.

And the dbs are going nuts trying to figure out where that 5 yards is, as they keep track of who is and who isn't in their zone, and as they try to read the qb's eyes and watch for the back out of the backfield....

I say, bring back the downfield chuck. Bring back the days where a receiver is fair game until the ball is in the air. Why not? The game was great then, and it will still be great when it's been evened back up. Everyone loves a lot of scoring.... but everyone REALLY loves a lot of hitting!

The Duke
01-14-2008, 08:53 PM
I say, bring back the downfield chuck. Bring back the days where a receiver is fair game until the ball is in the air. Why not? The game was great then, and it will still be great when it's been evened back up.

definitely! and I can tell you one thing, moss wouldn't be the receiver he is at all. he and brady would spend most of their time complaining to the officials that they can't make a play :crying01:

Everyone loves a lot of scoring.... but everyone REALLY loves a lot of hitting!

I second that :tt02:

correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they change the rule because it was too difficult for receivers? well then they should change it cause now it's too difficult for defenders, seems like the fair thing

Atlanta Dan
01-14-2008, 09:00 PM
There's too much advantage to the receivers now; quarterbacks going 26/26 in the playoffs? Third and short a passing down? Most teams consider the end zone fade a gimmie touchdown when it's executed properly now.

And the dbs are going nuts trying to figure out where that 5 yards is, as they keep track of who is and who isn't in their zone, and as they try to read the qb's eyes and watch for the back out of the backfield....

I say, bring back the downfield chuck. Bring back the days where a receiver is fair game until the ball is in the air. Why not? The game was great then, and it will still be great when it's been evened back up. Everyone loves a lot of scoring.... but everyone REALLY loves a lot of hitting!

Good post Tom - I was talking about this Saturday night during the Patriots game when someone asked me what could slow New England down and I said rules changes.

Just as hardly anybody could score on the 1974-1976 Steelers and the rules were changed, so nobody can stop proficient passers with these rules. Peyton started out yesterday as flawlessly (11-11?) as Brady was on Saturday.

The irony is that the dam broke after the Pats mugged the Colts receivers in the 2003 AFC championship game and the refs started strictly enforcing the no contact rules after the Colts beefed to Tagliabue. The Pats then have become the team to best exploit strict enforcement of the no touch on pass D rules. Of course the team to first exploit the 1970s rules changes designed to stop the 70s Steelers were the 1978 Steelers with Bradshaw, Swann & Stallworth. Great teams find a way to win.

Unfortunately the rules will not swing back to the D unless TV ratings dive - fans appear to like flag football

Hopefully a new Buddy Ryan is out there to design this era's equivalent to the 46 defense that was built to stop the 1980s offenses of Gibbs & Walsh

verks36
01-14-2008, 09:03 PM
ya i agree with this the NFL needs to realize that the WRs are really getting advantages more than ever. The passing TD record has been broken 2 time in the last 5 years that is a sign right there. I dont know if it is repeal the mel blount rule but it needs to be something

steelers2685
01-14-2008, 09:08 PM
If Moss is allowed to push off guys, give the DB's some rights back to do the same! haha

silver & black
01-14-2008, 09:48 PM

I couldn't agree with you more. The game has been in steady decline since the 70's. Hell... the QB's may as well wear dresses and put flowers in their hair!

ShutDown24
01-14-2008, 10:15 PM
I'm in complete agreement.

MasterOfPuppets
01-14-2008, 10:21 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. The game has been in steady decline since the 70's. Hell... the QB's may as well wear dresses and put flowers in their hair!
brady does,under his uniform....he says it makes him feel pretty....:coffee:

stlrtruck
01-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Rules changes to allow these guys to actually play football would be nice but let's face it - It isn't going to happen until someone realizes that there are still true fans out here that enjoy football not powder puff.

The Duke
01-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Rules changes to allow these guys to actually play football would be nice but let's face it - It isn't going to happen until someone realizes that there are still true fans out here that enjoy football not powder puff.

that and like Dan said the ratings

I mentioned this rule to a pats a today and his response was" that's not real football" :dang:

jjpro11
01-15-2008, 03:40 PM
i never liked the rule change from the beginning. the only time they should call a 5 yard penalty is when the db legitimately holds onto the receiver after getting beat. these stupid ass rules where you cant lay a finger on a receiver beyond 5 yards are ridiculous. i want to see some real corner back - wide receiver battles. all the corners can do now is pretty much play the guessing game and hope they guess right so they can make a play. its nearly impossible to completely take a wide receiver out of a play anymore.

Rhee Rhee
01-15-2008, 09:16 PM
If the same rules applied as they did in the 70s... ike taylor would be incredible... more than incredible...defensive MVP kind of thing...

SteelerFanInCA
01-16-2008, 11:10 AM
Good old Mel. One of my all time favorite Steelers. I have to agree the league has gone way soft on what WR and QB's get away with. Bring back the bone crushing days when when DB's were constantly slapping WR's upside their heads.

Stlrs4Life
01-16-2008, 05:28 PM
It will never happen. The NFL wants to see more scoring.