PDA

View Full Version : Steelers eye several positions for first-round pick

Steel Pit
01-14-2008, 11:15 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08015/849244-66.stm

Steelers eye several positions for first-round pick
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers can use help everywhere and would consider drafting at any position in the first round this year except quarterback and tight end.

But they won't use free agency as a primary way to restock their roster, following a long-standing philosophy.

"No, I don't see any reason or any scenario where we wouldn't follow the same path we have," Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations, said yesterday.

Colbert said the process and priorities will remain consistent with what they've done before. They will first talk to their own players who can become unrestricted free agents, including guard Alan Faneca, and then to others under contract they would like to extend, including quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

While the Steelers could put the franchise tag on Faneca and keep him another year, it's not likely they will do so.

"We haven't closed the door," Colbert said of Faneca. But ... "Again, we know once you get to free agency or are that close to free agency, obviously you're going to have competition. The price most likely has gone up. We haven't closed the door nor will we until we know for sure that we're not going to be in it."

Faneca and linebacker Clark Haggans are the only starters who can become unrestricted free agents. Former starting tackle Max Starks also can become an unrestricted free agent Feb. 29, when the NFL's new calendar year begins.

Colbert said he and others in the organization are in the process of determining how much salary cap room they will have in 2008 -- some incentives earned from last season count this year, for example -- and which players they want to keep and which they do not.

They also will look at free agency; even though they rarely make a splash in free agency, they normally sign a few players, and usually add one starter.

Starters they've added through free agency in recent years include center Sean Mahan (2007), safety Ryan Clark (2006) and receiver Cedrick Wilson (2005). In this century, they also signed free agents who became Pro Bowlers, linebacker James Farrior in 2002 and center Jeff Hartings in 2001.

Colbert said Roethlisberger's impending new deal -- which will easily be the most expensive in club history -- has no bearing on the team's approach to free agency this year.

"Ben is now in that area where he's two years out and that's when we've traditionally addressed the quarterback," Colbert said. "And we will look at guys who are one year out too, in that order."

Among those with one year left on their contracts are Farrior, Wilson, tackle Marvel Smith, quarterback Charlie Batch, tight end Jerame Tuman, cornerback Bryant McFadden and a handful of players who would become restricted free agents after next season.

Colbert agreed with coach Mike Tomlin that the team likely will need help in the offensive and defensive lines, but he did not think the offensive line was as big a problem as many make it out to be.

"Obviously, the sack numbers [47] were something that were up and were unacceptable. But you also have to realize it's the same line that blocked for the league's leading rusher before his injury and it's the same line that allowed the quarterback to have his best year ever.

"To say you need that position and that it is a glaring need, I don't think it's really fair to that group of guys. That being said, sure you want to add depth -- you realize you can lose two unrestricted free agents, and if you do, maybe that changes your focus as you move forward. But I think you have to keep in mind that group did some good things too."

Colbert said the Steelers could draft virtually any position in the first round, and that includes a running back. Willie Parker led the NFL in rushing until his right fibula was broken in the 15th game in St. Louis.

It's not the injury that might prompt them to draft a back -- Colbert said Parker should be as good as new and he would have returned to play in 2007 if the injury came earlier in the season.

Might they draft a back in the first round?

"Heck, yeah, absolutely," Colbert said.

Why?

"LaDainian Tomlinson and Michael Turner [of San Diego], Kevin Faulk and Laurence Maroney [of New England], Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw [of the New York Giants]. Just looking at the teams that are still successful -- look at what Ryan Grant's doing for the Packers after they lost their guy. Unless you have a superstar, and even in San Diego's case, that's as good as it gets but it's still nice to have another guy."

?

NOTE -- The Steelers signed two more players to their future list -- long-snapper Jared Retkofsky and fullback Billy Latsko. Retkofsky spent his rookie training camp with the Steelers last summer. Latsko spent his rookie season with the Carolina Panthers last year.

Preacher
01-15-2008, 12:24 AM
Colbert agreed with coach Mike Tomlin that the team likely will need help in the offensive and defensive lines, but he did not think the offensive line was as big a problem as many make it out to be.

"Obviously, the sack numbers [47] were something that were up and were unacceptable. But you also have to realize it's the same line that blocked for the league's leading rusher before his injury and it's the same line that allowed the quarterback to have his best year ever.

"To say you need that position and that it is a glaring need, I don't think it's really fair to that group of guys. That being said, sure you want to add depth -- you realize you can lose two unrestricted free agents, and if you do, maybe that changes your focus as you move forward. But I think you have to keep in mind that group did some good things too."

Colbert said the Steelers could draft virtually any position in the first round, and that includes a running back. Willie Parker led the NFL in rushing until his right fibula was broken in the 15th game in St. Louis.

It's not the injury that might prompt them to draft a back -- Colbert said Parker should be as good as new and he would have returned to play in 2007 if the injury came earlier in the season.

Might they draft a back in the first round?

"Heck, yeah, absolutely," Colbert said.

Why?

"LaDainian Tomlinson and Michael Turner [of San Diego], Kevin Faulk and Laurence Maroney [of New England], Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw [of the New York Giants]. Just looking at the teams that are still successful -- look at what Ryan Grant's doing for the Packers after they lost their guy. Unless you have a superstar, and even in San Diego's case, that's as good as it gets but it's still nice to have another guy."

OH CRUD.

Please... Let's not put on the blinders... Our oline is horrible. DRAFT OLINE.

You know, I wonder if this is a ploy for draft pick maneuverability.

If it isn't... I am going to worry about next year, and our QB's future.

paw-n-maul-u
01-15-2008, 12:48 AM
They can't really be serious about drafting a first round RB. I can't imagine any scenario.

However, w/ all the underclassmen declaring this year, it would be an ideal year to snag one in the second or third round. This year's RB draft class is strong.

I envision a first round OT, and a little shuffling of the line:
-Colon inside to guard and I think he could be a mauler.
-Kemo has got some nasty in him too, I think he could do adequate at guard replacing Faneca, or atleast still being a solid backup.
-Sean Mayhan should have no starting spot on this team. Someone keeps piping in that they SWEARRRRRR they saw him manhandling Big Snack in training camp. Please. There is no way. I don't even really like giving him a shot at guard. I hope we pursue a FA Center.
-Simmons is signed for decent money for awhile longer. He's got a spot, Guard or Center.

for RB's I really like Ray Rice. he sure does know how to run.

Steel Pit
01-15-2008, 02:25 AM
I'm to the point where I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers TRADE their 1st round pick for an established and quality offensive lineman, and of course he would have to be no more than a 3 year vet.

Galax Steeler
01-15-2008, 04:00 AM
I really don't see us picking up a running back in the first,I think he is just throwing a smoke screen so others don't know who we are going after.

Bill
01-15-2008, 04:32 AM
I think they ought to draft a defensive lineman. Look at how the Giants and Chargers pressure the QB with only their defensive line. It gives their DBs time to make plays on the ball, and allows the linebackers to pursue. The Steelers get zero pressure from the defensive line right now. Draft a defensive end who can pass rush and watch the defense improve immediately. LeBeau must go! LeBeau must go! LeBeau must go!

GBMelBlount
01-15-2008, 06:43 AM
OH CRUD.

Unfortunately, after last years draft selections, nothing would surprise me.

Atlanta Dan
01-15-2008, 07:09 AM

I hope/assume that is to placate the feelings of the OL who will remain and nothing more.

Saying we should focus on the good things accomplished by the line is like arguing some good things happened on the Titanic's maiden voyage becuse the ship made it more than halfway across the Atlantic before sinking

The OL gave up 47 sacks this year & 49 sacks in 2006. Something more than tweaking is required.

As for drafting a RB, I guess the question is how bad Parker's break was - ankle injuries can be tough - Jack Ham was never the same after dislocating his in 1979

Steeldude
01-15-2008, 07:36 AM
the steelers main concerns are the O-line followed by the D-line.

someone brought up kemo as a replacement for faneca. kemo's problem is he can't learn his assignments. he is all brawn and no brain at this point.

i doubt simmons will be able to handle being a center. he has enough trouble as a guard.

Lord Stiller
01-15-2008, 08:07 AM
As for drafting a RB, I guess the question is how bad Parker's break was - ankle injuries can be tough - Jack Ham was never the same after dislocating his in 1979

Ankle injuries are tough. Too bad he broke his leg (fibula) not his ankle.

Thank you very much

Edman
01-15-2008, 08:11 AM
Please Colbert, don't be stupid.

Our Offensive Line sucks. There is no way around it. I'm tired of watching Ben run for his life, while watching Brady just sit back there and make a sandwich.

If this problem is not addressed in the draft and FA, mark my words, the 2008 Steelers will go nowhere. There is no anchor on that line. No true Center. It's given up 40+ sacks in two consecutive seasons. Just because Willie was the leading rusher mean jacks squat. Previous Steeler teams(specifically the 90's teams) had great rushing attacks, but could block as well as anybody.

fansince'76
01-15-2008, 08:39 AM
Our Offensive Line sucks. There is no way around it. I'm tired of watching Ben run for his life, while watching Brady just sit back there and make a sandwich.

I agree - my biggest fear is the FO giving Ben a long-term, franchise-record contract (which I'm sure is coming) and then watching his career getting prematurely ended behind that sieve of an OL. The weekly clobberings of Ben MUST stop, and it's going to take more than a "nip and tuck" to the OL to do it.

Steelerfreak58
01-15-2008, 09:04 AM
I think he was just being Politically Correct about giving credit to the O-Line. He said it himself when he talked about the number of sacks given up this year. They watched the same games we did I am sure they are pretty aware that the O-Line is the biggest issue and must be addressed. They are just playing smoke and mirrors and not trying to elude about what they are going to take in the early rounds.

Either that or they are going to draft another punter and tight end and I am 100% completely wrong!:tt02:

revefsreleets
01-15-2008, 09:10 AM
The pre-draft smoke screen has already started being fired up. This might be a record, 3 months and 10 days before the draft!

memphissteelergirl
01-15-2008, 09:39 AM
The pre-draft smoke screen has already started being fired up. This might be a record, 3 months and 10 days before the draft!

I pray you're right about this being just a smoke screen! I cannot fathom they are thinking about anything else than drafting for the O-line or D-line in the first round!

moedap
01-15-2008, 02:56 PM
I agree with Colbert. The OL wasnt THAT bad. We had the number one rusher until his leg broke. I would say half of those sacks have to be attributed to Ben holding onto the ball too long and Arians play calling. Arians has a whole year to tweak his system. Ben has shown progress in his ability to read defenses and will get better in his ability to call the right protection schemes. A beast at OT is definitely needed and there are a few in the draft but we dont need to go OL crazy in the draft and neglect other needs. Good DB's are a must in this pass happy/protect the receiver NFL.

Elvis
01-15-2008, 03:30 PM
:party: I think that the Steelers should pretty much take the best position available when they draft this time around. I know that O Line is very important this offseason, but I think that we would be better off fixing this through free agency myself. We need a real Center to carry on our great tradition because Mahan Is Not The Answer..

paw-n-maul-u
01-15-2008, 04:13 PM
I agree with Colbert. The OL wasnt THAT bad. We had the number one rusher until his leg broke. I would say half of those sacks have to be attributed to Ben holding onto the ball too long and Arians play calling. Arians has a whole year to tweak his system. Ben has shown progress in his ability to read defenses and will get better in his ability to call the right protection schemes. A beast at OT is definitely needed and there are a few in the draft but we dont need to go OL crazy in the draft and neglect other needs. Good DB's are a must in this pass happy/protect the receiver NFL.

I agree our O-line can be saved ........ IF we spend a first round pick on an OT. I don't feel the line needs so much revamping, as maybe it does reshuffling?

LT- 1st RD draft pick
LG- Colon or Kemo
C- FA hopefully, maybe either Simmons, Kemo, or Colon ... in that order
RG- Simmons
RT- Smith

Sean Mayhan NOWHERE

This class is too good to pass up a first round OT, but C/G depth isn't that good. Snag a bigger C in the later rounds. ***sometimes I wonder why teams can take linemen in the 3rd and 4th RD and plug them in and keep going, yet we have struggled mightily in doing that the last few years ... and it's not like we haven't tried to find developmental players in RD's 3-5

Rotorhead
01-15-2008, 04:14 PM
I feel we will draft OL first if there is a good one when we pick (no need to grab a for sure late 2nd or 3rd rounder too early) then either another OL or CB with the first 3 picks. The only thing that would change that is if some phenominal early 1st round favorite athlete somehow drops to our pick. If we can get a OL starter and a CB that will be able to play after one year I will consider the draft a success.

Dino 6 Rings
01-15-2008, 04:44 PM
We'll be drafting a running back with the 1st pick. It isn't like Orlando Pace is on the board for us. You can build depth at O-line later in the draft, we aren't going to "Fix" the O-line with some rookie Tackle, Center or Guard. But drafting a SOLID #2 Running back in the 1st round, Ray Rice, Felix Jones, could put our offense into another place. Plus, a Big Time RB gives you a Returner on Punts and Kick Offs, especially Felix Jones.

For anyone that isn't thinking about the 08 season, sure take Otah from Pitt in the 1st round and he can blow blocking assignments all year next season and eventually will be good enough to not get our QB killed...for anyone that wants to win next season...RB in the 1st round.

I'm sure 90% of you will disagree with my assessment, but like I said...Pace isn't in the draft and we don't have a top 5 pick to get Long on DL or that stud Tackle from Michigan.

Get the BEST player on the board with your 1st pick.

lilyoder6
01-15-2008, 04:52 PM
u really can't say that about a rookie... joe thomas going to the pro bowl for cle.. hell of a yr for a rookie.. ugo from the colts good rookie season.. and there were other rookies who have done well this yr..

lilyoder6
01-15-2008, 04:55 PM
that would be nice... slaton should start working on catching the ball.. he'll be a good receiving back...

Dino 6 Rings
01-15-2008, 05:01 PM
You can't say a rookie Olineman will have that big of an impact on improving the pass plocking either. But you can say, a STUD RB would improve the Special Teams, in return yards, and would if truly a Stud be great to have late in games to groom for later on in the season, should Willie twist and ankle or something.

First round Olinemen are great, when you can get that stud. The guy in Cleveland was a top 5 pick. That's not something we'll have available to us for O-line unless god help us we trade all the way up to get one. And that would be ridiculous unless we trade up for the absolute best player on the board at the time.

Was Timmons the best player on the board last year when we took him. I don't think so and I think Tomlin should have been more aggressive at going after Revis at CB. Hopefully he learns this year, don't take a guy on potential, Timmons, take a guy on flat out skill and how they can help you Day 1.

lilyoder6
01-15-2008, 05:16 PM
the jets moved up 1 spot ahead of us to get revis.. i was pissed when that happened and they took revis.. b/c i thought for sure he was going to be a steeler...

revefsreleets
01-15-2008, 05:45 PM
There will be quality RB's in this draft at pick 100 and beyond. We don't need a stud RB, we HAVE ONE! We need depth at RB, at best, and we MAY already have it. The Steelers are tossing out smoke grenades to cover our real maneuvers, and it's apparently working. Hopefully the other teams in the NFL fall for it too. I could MAYBE see a WR in 1 ( I'd hate that pick) but I so don't see skill position at #1. It's OL for sure, DL if someone falls. Talking RB in a RB rich draft makes sense. Hopefully somebody reaches thinking we are going to pick a RB and we grab an OLman who wasn't supposed to drop to the mid-20's.

Rhee Rhee
01-15-2008, 08:01 PM
kevin colbert... wow... is this our personell director? of director of college scouting?

he obviously did not watch the same pittsburgh team as all of us... the reason our QB had such a great year was because of his individual talent and the talent of our top 3 recievers... hines santonio and heath.... the reason willie was the leading rusher was because of himself not because of the o-line...

Atlanta Dan
01-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Interesting comments by Ed.B. of the P-G today on Colbert throwing a bone to the OL and talent obtained through recent drafts:

I too do not agree with Kevin's assessment and I think some of it was politically correct, just as when Ben spoke about his line this season. Neither want to knock it, but they're both hoping for big improvement.

Are we getting stale defensively?

Ed Bouchette: Old maybe; I'm not sure about stale. But it's a good question. They need to infuse more youth into the defense, something Mike Tomlin acknowledged.

Do you think that a change in assistant coaches is necessary to improve the special teams?

Mike Tomlin said it after the season: They did not have enough good core players on special teams. Maybe that's because they don't have enough young players at the skill positions -- linebackers, wide receivers and in the secondary -- who make up the brunt of special teamers.

Is Colbert taking any heat for the suspect drafts after the second round? Special teams play and back up proficiency usually indicate the quality of the later round picks.

Ed Bouchette: He has in the past. Their picks after the first two rounds have not been hall of fame material.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08015/849371-66.stm

lilyoder6
01-15-2008, 09:31 PM
i think our passing game will be better next yr.. speath was a good target this yr and made good plays.. with a yr under his belt he'll be better with davis... so o-line getting better we'll have a solid off..

Rhee Rhee
01-15-2008, 10:01 PM
i think our passing game will be better next yr.. speath was a good target this yr and made good plays.. with a yr under his belt he'll be better with davis... so o-line getting better we'll have a solid off..

i can definitely see spaeth being utilized more but his lack of athleticness scares me...

i somehow do not see davis in anyway in our gameplan next year... the FB position was bsically forgotten besides for a couple runs in the 4th Q of blowout games...

Preacher
01-15-2008, 11:36 PM
i can definitely see spaeth being utilized more but his lack of athleticness scares me...

i somehow do not see davis in anyway in our gameplan next year... the FB position was bsically forgotten besides for a couple runs in the 4th Q of blowout games...

You know.. I actually liked what Davis did when given the ball. We'll see what he can do.

Steel Pit
01-16-2008, 02:43 AM
You know.. I actually liked what Davis did when given the ball. We'll see what he can do.

Agree with Preacher. Davis did look pretty good receiving out of the backfield.

As for Spaeth, I don't know. He did look good in the first 2 or 3 games but late in the season he had a couple of drops and the "almost fumble" near the goaline in the playoff game versus the Jaguars. Hopefully that wasn't the start of a trend for him.

Steelerstrength
01-16-2008, 02:16 PM
ESPN Mock Draft has us picking this way:

23. Pittsburgh Steelers
Record: 10-6
Scouts Inc.'s biggest needs: OT. C, DE, G, RB
Projected pick: Jeffrey Otah, OT, Pittsburgh
The Steelers could use two of their first three picks on offensive linemen. They have bigger holes to fill inside at center and guard, but with his combination of size and skills Otah is far and away the best lineman available in this scenario. G Roy Schuening (Oregon State) and C John Sullivan (Notre Dame) could also become Steelers in later rounds.

Sounds good to me! 6'6" 339 lbs!! Anyone have a good insight on the play of Otah? (I'm from Cali so I need more info please)

Dino 6 Rings
01-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Otah is a monster. He still has some work to do with his footwork and was able to just simply out power guys in College. (I'm a Pitt fan, watched him all year.) He has some growing up to do in order to play at the NFL level and if taken in the 1st round and given or earns the starting job next season, he will eventually, in time, over 2 or 3 years develop into a good solid tackle.

He WILL NOT FIX the O-LINE PROBLEM.

Draft RB FIRST. Get a Stud, one without a broken Leg and One that can contribute on Special Teams now and draft DEPTH at O-Line later in the draft.

OTAH is not Orlando Pace and He isn't the kid from Michigan or the Guy from Wisconsin last season. He is a good solid tackle but not the answer to our OLINE prayers.

However a Great Running back, taken with the 1st pick, could right now become a great one two punch for our offense.

I know everyone wants the Oline to be fixed, but it won't be fixed next season by taking a Tackle with the 1st pick in the 08 draft. I want to win now, and winning now means FA for some O-line help and drafting young talent that will contribute to our team now. Not 3 years from now.

Besides, our most glaring problem for next season are Guard and Center...not Tackle.

Dino 6 Rings
01-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Draft 1st round to win now.
2006 Holmes (Stud)
2005 Miller (Stud)
2004 Ben (Stud)
2003 Troy (Stud)
2002 Simmons (Tackle? Yeah that worked out nice huh?)
2001 Hampton (Stud)
2000 Burress (Good player, too immature on our team but shows skills in NY now)

Drafting Timmons in 2007 for "future" was a MISTAKE! Especially since Woodley was on the board in Round 2.

Draft guys that will contribute now and be long term players in the 1st round.

That's my take on it. Draft the Best player on the board, regardless of position, in the 1st round and draft Depth and "to fix holes" in the later rounds and bring in a FA or two every off season to compete for jobs.

That's it. Drafting a Tackle won't make us Great next year. Drafting one of the following Troy P, Heath Miller, Ben R, C Hampton, S Holmes....Could.

Think on it.

Oh and another thing about the O-line that was run blocking just fine all year...wasn't the pass blocking responsibility on Ben's shoulders this year for the first time? Maybe, just maybe, he missed a couple blocking calls?

Just saying...the O-line got lots of heat, and deserved most of it, but sometimes, step back look at the entire picture, look at the current roster, who can fill in holes, who we have at O-line that may be expected to step up and maybe a Stud Skill player in the 1st round gets us that 12th, 13th or Playoff Win.

lilyoder6
01-16-2008, 09:56 PM
i think we could get a stud rb in the 2nd rd by how deep it is this yr... i would have to agree that they should draft the best palyer avaible... he could play ST right away depening what pos he plays.. and could get playing time and make a dif..

Rhee Rhee
01-16-2008, 11:56 PM

That's my take on it. Draft the Best player on the board, regardless of position, in the 1st round and draft Depth and "to fix holes" in the later rounds and bring in a FA or two every off season to compete for jobs.

ok draft guys that will contribute now.. otah's so good he'll start for us immediately... he'll probably be our tackle for the next 10 years....

Best player on the board will be an OT... with Oher, Williams and Otah there is tackles galore for u to choose from...

as u may know recently our day two picks have done nothing.... using later picks to fix holes would just further risk injuring ben roethlisberger who's figured to get 9million a year...

dude i used to thinkk this way... get a skill player in the 1st... plenty of o-line depth... but dude just gotta think we're gonna invest soo much on ben that we cannot risk 50 sacks next year...

lilyoder6
01-17-2008, 09:52 AM
micheal oher from ole miss is going back to school... i saw this last night when i was flipping back and forth between sportscenter and jay leno.... so oher is out of the picture...

Rhee Rhee
01-17-2008, 01:03 PM
micheal oher from ole miss is going back to school... i saw this last night when i was flipping back and forth between sportscenter and jay leno.... so oher is out of the picture...

dude the guy went in and out... he declared and now he's returning... how stupid...

fansince'76
01-17-2008, 01:13 PM
dude i used to thinkk this way... get a skill player in the 1st...

They better not think of taking a skill position player in the first unless the guy is a guaranteed HoFer in the making. Since the draft is a crapshoot, and there has never been and will never be such a guarantee about anybody, they need to go OL.

paw-n-maul-u
01-17-2008, 01:31 PM
dude the guy went in and out... he declared and now he's returning... how stupid...

How brilliant ... this year is probably the strongest OT class in a reallllllly long while.

He could get lost in the Mix and end up in the second. Or he could go back to school, get another year of experience, ensure probably a top 15 pick next year, and make another what, 10 or so million

paw-n-maul-u
01-17-2008, 01:41 PM
Draft 1st round to win now.
2006 Holmes (Stud)
2005 Miller (Stud)
2004 Ben (Stud)
2003 Troy (Stud)
2002 Simmons (Tackle? Yeah that worked out nice huh?)
2001 Hampton (Stud)
2000 Burress (Good player, too immature on our team but shows skills in NY now)

Drafting Timmons in 2007 for "future" was a MISTAKE! Especially since Woodley was on the board in Round 2.

That's it. Drafting a Tackle won't make us Great next year. Drafting one of the following Troy P, Heath Miller, Ben R, C Hampton, S Holmes....Could.

Think on it.

Oh and another thing about the O-line that was run blocking just fine all year...wasn't the pass blocking responsibility on Ben's shoulders this year for the first time? Maybe, just maybe, he missed a couple blocking calls?

Just saying...the O-line got lots of heat, and deserved most of it, but sometimes, step back look at the entire picture, look at the current roster, who can fill in holes, who we have at O-line that may be expected to step up and maybe a Stud Skill player in the 1st round gets us that 12th, 13th or Playoff Win.

Timmons was not a bad pick.

does ANYONE understand how young he is, and how little starting expereince he has

Timmons-Played behind two back to back year top 15 picks at LB at FSU, only one year starting experience.

Woodley-Four year starter at Michigan.

that being said, he would not have fallen past NE last year at whatever they picked like 26 or somethin when they took Merriwether (sp?) Beason was taken about two picks behind Timmons, A. Spencer not far behind him. The kid's upside is tremendous, and once he gets a little more technically sound and learns the system (which is probably one of the top 5 most difficult to comprehend with all lebeaus scheming) .... hes gonna be a monster

This I do know, with his abilities, that athleticism, he will easily outperform Larry Foote.

If he had james farriors knowledge he would already be in the probowl.

FourThreeMafia
01-17-2008, 01:41 PM
Some of you need to realize that their may not be a 1st round OLineman worth taking in the first. Oher is going back to school and that leaves three first round OLineman for us in the 1st...

Jake Long, who will be a top 5 pick.

Ryan Clady, who will be a top 10-15 pick.

Otah could go anywhere between 10-22, seeing as how alot of teams need OLine help.

Sam Baker might be avaialable, but he is more suited for the ZBS.

With them gone, the next need would be DLine. With Tyson Jacskon returning to school, there is only one 3-4 DLineman that would be avaiable that is worth taking in the first round, and that is Kentwan Balmer.

After the OLine and DLine, we dont have any real critical needs, so you have to start looking at secondary needs if he isnt avaialable. CB is a need, seeing as how Townsy is aging and BMac hasnt proven he can be more than a nickleback and Gay is still a project. So a 1st round CB is very possible. If Malcolm Kelly is avaiable when we pick and there are no O or D lineman, I would gladly take him as a future starter with Holmes.

I agree that we shouldnt be taking a first round RB, but to those of you bellyaching about taking a first round OLineman, you need to study up on how the draft works and realize that reaching for a lineman isnt going to help us either.

My suggestion, trade down if there are no lineman available. Easier said than done, though.

mopit55
01-17-2008, 02:32 PM
if otah is pick before us,steelers can take a tall wide receiver (malcolm kelly,bowman,sweed) a cornerback it's a good year for that position (mike jenkins,talib my choice,mckelvin,cason ...) a d-line man (okam,lawrence jacksoN,balmer,dre moore) but the priority is an offensive lineman i hope for otah or ryan clady.god cherilus is a second round.we need a talent player in the first round so why not a cornerback.

FourThreeMafia
01-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Otah is a monster. He still has some work to do with his footwork and was able to just simply out power guys in College. (I'm a Pitt fan, watched him all year.) He has some growing up to do in order to play at the NFL level and if taken in the 1st round and given or earns the starting job next season, he will eventually, in time, over 2 or 3 years develop into a good solid tackle.

He WILL NOT FIX the O-LINE PROBLEM.

Draft RB FIRST. Get a Stud, one without a broken Leg and One that can contribute on Special Teams now and draft DEPTH at O-Line later in the draft.

OTAH is not Orlando Pace and He isn't the kid from Michigan or the Guy from Wisconsin last season. He is a good solid tackle but not the answer to our OLINE prayers.

However a Great Running back, taken with the 1st pick, could right now become a great one two punch for our offense.

I know everyone wants the Oline to be fixed, but it won't be fixed next season by taking a Tackle with the 1st pick in the 08 draft. I want to win now, and winning now means FA for some O-line help and drafting young talent that will contribute to our team now. Not 3 years from now.

Besides, our most glaring problem for next season are Guard and Center...not Tackle.

I'm sorry, but thats completely false.

We dont have a true starting right tackle. Our LT isnt that good at pass blocking and will probably be gone in 2009. Starks will probably leave in FA and Essex is a backup at best.

Quality tackles are much harder to find than quality guards. At this point we have Simmons, who isnt that great, but will be starting for the next 2-3 years, Kemoeatu, who has all the physical tools to be a quality guard, just not the mental capacity. Colon can be a top guard in this league if given the chance. He has the motor and mean streak, is strong and smart. He didnt fare well at tackle because he has short arms which really hurts when trying to pass block, and its only his 2nd year.

We really do need a center, but there are no day 1 centers in this draft. I wish we wouldve drafted Ryan Kalil last year.

lilyoder6
01-17-2008, 03:38 PM
i agree about tradeing down if the line man we want is off the board.. could go later in the 1st and get a couple of extra picks.. i don't know tho...

Rhee Rhee
01-17-2008, 10:13 PM
They better not think of taking a skill position player in the first unless the guy is a guaranteed HoFer in the making. Since the draft is a crapshoot, and there has never been and will never be such a guarantee about anybody, they need to go OL.

our pick isnt even high enough to even sniff a guaranteed HOFer

i agree go o-line early and often..

Dino 6 Rings
01-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Ben takes a lot of the heat for the amount of sacks this season, holding the ball to long and not trusting what he sees right away. Otah is a good tackle, and if he's on the board the steelers will take him. But I still say, a 1st RB, to play on 3rd down, on special teams and late in the games, will be a bigger benefit then a "maybe he'll be a good tackle for 10 years" draft pick in the 1st round.

You almost all disagree with me, but on draft day, I just hope they go with the best player on the board at the time.

Btw...I'm a huge PITT fan and would love to see Otah in a Steelers uniform. I just don't know if he's going to "fix" everything people say is wrong with the Oline, especially since we're going to need a Center and a Guard too.

Dino 6 Rings
01-18-2008, 09:46 AM
maybe we'll all get what we want...maybe we'll take Otah in the 1st, and Rice from Rutgers will drop to the 2nd round and we can pick him up there.

Dream Draft I guess...

Hines0wnz
01-18-2008, 02:53 PM
There is no fix for the Steelers in this draft at any position, only needs. The O-line being the most glaring need of anything except arguably ST. If a quality RB is available I would have no problem with him being taken but I dont want to see only skill players being picked in the first two rounds. Why all the interest in a tall WR? We had one several years ago until he got too big for his britches. The WR & TE players are very talented and will be even better next season. In the first round, the priority should be a good O-line guy or best available RB, CB, DL (in that order). Hopefully a FA Oline will be picked up as well and suddenly the line has some depth. Smith will be back on the DL and probably be nastier than ever. I assume Woodley and Timmons will be nipping at Haggans' and Foote's heals for playing time next season and that is a very good thing!

The bottom line is that if they are going to pay Ben big $$$ then they have to get him some protection or they are just throwing money away. And that is something the Rooneys do not do very much.

Hines0wnz
01-18-2008, 02:54 PM
I think they ought to draft a defensive lineman. Look at how the Giants and Chargers pressure the QB with only their defensive line. It gives their DBs time to make plays on the ball, and allows the linebackers to pursue. The Steelers get zero pressure from the defensive line right now. Draft a defensive end who can pass rush and watch the defense improve immediately. LeBeau must go! LeBeau must go! LeBeau must go!

4-3 vs 3-4

All the Chargers' pressure comes from their LBs..........like the Steelers.

Dino 6 Rings
01-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Actually, I started to think get the big tackle in the first round this year, but then, I started thinking about Felix Jones.

6' 210lbs running back out of Arkansas.

He is already used to be the "2nd man on campus" had over 1000 yards backing up D-mac against SEC 8 men in the box defenses, is a great kick returner and can play in the slot as a receiver as well on 4 wide.

If we took Jones, we could dump Reid and Davenport and Rossum, allow Baker and Washington fill in the #3 receiving spot (if we don't get a FA). He could be a great weapon in the return game, and could be a key player on 3rd downs in the slot. Plus he could play on the coverage team with his speed he'd get down field before the ball.

Just another Opinion different then the "Draft a Tackle" opinion.

lilyoder6
01-22-2008, 01:18 PM
wasn't rossum on a 1 yr deal with us anyway?? if he is are we going to re-sgn him??? and i personally think if reid doesn't prove himself this yr he might be let go after the pre-season...

Dino 6 Rings
01-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Just saw a Mock Draft with the Steelers taking Jonathan Stewart, Running Back out of Oregon in the 1st round.

Interesting, not everyone has us taking O-line.

I'm not sure what Rossum's contract was, but if we don't get return help, he'll be signed again for sure.

Dino 6 Rings
01-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Another one has us taking Derrick Harvey from Florida, Linebacker/Defensive End.

Interesting. Much more interesting then just saing "O-line"

Otah From Pitt probably won't be on the board by #23, so we have to consider who exactly we are going to draft.

Haiku_Dirtt
01-23-2008, 04:33 PM
OH CRUD.

Sack numbers? Sack numbers? (using the Jim Mora vernacular) Sack numbers?

I guess one could wonder what Mr. Colbert means rather than what he 'states' to the media. Maybe trying to throw off the competition. Or the sad reality that finding a lineman in this draft will be as easy for the Steelers as it is for Wesley Snipes :oops: to refinance.

Kevin. It really isn't the sack count that is so bothersome. When you combine the sacks with the "hurries" and "knockdowns" it seems the only time Ben was not running from the lions is when the zebras threw the flag. It's amazing we have 3000 passing yards and nearly 300 first downs this year.

Haiku_Dirtt
01-23-2008, 04:39 PM
Just saw a Mock Draft with the Steelers taking Jonathan Stewart, Running Back out of Oregon in the 1st round.

Interesting, not everyone has us taking O-line.

I'm not sure what Rossum's contract was, but if we don't get return help, he'll be signed again for sure.

I like Jonathan Stewart. I like Mendenhall a little better. Is he mocked higher than Stewart?

MasterOfPuppets
01-23-2008, 04:41 PM
6' 210lbs running back out of Arkansas.

:huh:.....i've only ever seen jones listed as 6' - 200 lbs

Dino 6 Rings
01-23-2008, 04:47 PM
:huh:.....i've only ever seen jones listed as 6' - 200 lbs

Give him an off season lifting weights at the NFL level, 215 could be right around the corner.

I'm not suggesting Felix could be the guy to replace Willie, more the guy to replace Reid, Rossom and Najeh with just one roster spot.

VTsteel
01-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Timmons was not a bad pick.

does ANYONE understand how young he is, and how little starting expereince he has

Timmons-Played behind two back to back year top 15 picks at LB at FSU, only one year starting experience.

Woodley-Four year starter at Michigan.

that being said, he would not have fallen past NE last year at whatever they picked like 26 or somethin when they took Merriwether (sp?) Beason was taken about two picks behind Timmons, A. Spencer not far behind him. The kid's upside is tremendous, and once he gets a little more technically sound and learns the system (which is probably one of the top 5 most difficult to comprehend with all lebeaus scheming) .... hes gonna be a monster

This I do know, with his abilities, that athleticism, he will easily outperform Larry Foote.

If he had james farriors knowledge he would already be in the probowl.

Wow, that is the most rousing defense of Timmons that I have ever heard. I almost feel inspired by that. Let's hope it's true.

SteelersJW
01-23-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm real nervous about the number of guys who only have 1 year left on their contracts (Farrior, Wilson, tackle Marvel Smith, quarterback Charlie Batch, tight end Jerame Tuman, cornerback Bryant McFadden). Scary

VTsteel
01-23-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm real nervous about the number of guys who only have 1 year left on their contracts (Farrior, Wilson, tackle Marvel Smith, quarterback Charlie Batch, tight end Jerame Tuman, cornerback Bryant McFadden). Scary

Nah, this is good news. Most will likely re-work their deal in ex-change for a couple more years - This will lead to a lower cap hit this year for each one that we re-work.

Knowing that they are all (except McFadden) are on the downswing of their careers - none of these guys will pull a "Faneca".

:cheers:

Dino 6 Rings
01-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Wilson is most likely going to be playing for another team soon.

McFadden is hit or miss, some times he's great, some times, not so much, he'll probably get a short term extension, 2 year, to see if he grows up a little

Batch is probably one year away from not playing for us anymore. At some point, they will cut ties with him.

Tuman, we drafted Spaeth and Miller, I think Tuman is out the door after the 08 season.

Smith, man its hard to say, are they going to resign him or are we going to have another year of a disenfranchised starting lineman.

Farrior...its hard to say, we don't extend contracts on some of our older linebackers as our history shows...but he may not ask "Porter" money and could find himself in position to retire a Steeler.

bratsinmybelly
01-24-2008, 12:28 AM
People have been saying Wilson was gone after each year he's been here. So I expect he will retire in B&G.

We need to hang on to McFadden IMO.

Batch is a top notch back-up with no starting aspirations who will stay for cheap b/c he is from the area. Why on earth would we let him go?

Tuman is gone for sure. Isn't he like 60?

Smith may be guilty by association after having been part of last years debacle.

Farrior is like 33 which is to say that he's 129 in Steeler LB years.

Oh, and Dino............What's with the (formerly New Jersey)? Are you not proud of your freshly planted Arkie roots? It ain't where you've been, it's where you're at brother. Welcome. :toast:

Rhee Rhee
01-24-2008, 02:50 AM
Tuman, we drafted Spaeth and Miller, I think Tuman is out the door after the 08 season.

im hoping we retain tuman... he's by far the most consistent blocker at TE and although he doesn't have the greatest speed he's a guy that will pick up a 1st down on any given play... besides who'll be our 3rd TE in one of BA's 3 TE formations :wink02:

Galax Steeler
01-24-2008, 04:04 AM
I can see us taking the best player on the board in the first after reading all of this board everyone has good opinions on what we might do it is just a matter of time.

atlsteelers
01-24-2008, 03:21 PM
I can see us taking the best player on the board in the first after reading all of this board everyone has good opinions on what we might do it is just a matter of time.

i agree it is just a matter of time - tomlin and colbert will telegraph the pick like last year so in mid-march we should have a pretty good idea of who we are picking...

the senior bowl and the combine are still to come; prospects are going to be shooting up and down boards...but i really believe the steelers may take the best athlete available at this point we have too many positions that are staffed okay but lack depth or a true stud. I am with colbert on the fact that the only two positions that are stacked are the TE and Qb spots. wonder if this means that he will use three draft picks for another punter? because the rookie stunk down the strecth.

I would be really happy getting a starting offensive lineman or d-lineman. i would be equally excited about a shoutdown corner, real depth at RB, and somebody to finally push washington off of the squad. its just too early...i guess we all just miss football

BigBen403
01-26-2008, 09:53 PM
We are in need to adding youth to the O-line, the D-line and restocking the linebacking corp. The offense in general is fine, we have two huge TE's, Hines and Holmes as the #1 & #2 Wr's hopefully someone else will step up and be a big time receiver. I think Willie will be fine and more determined to prove himself. Davenport is a good change of pace guy maybe we should have both RB's in together more often to keep the defense on their toes. Maybe add a RB that looks like a steal later in the draft. We need to make some sort of move in finding a player or two that can be an impact player on special teams....

Go Steelers Go

and Go Giants.... Bury Brady and Bill

Rhee Rhee
01-27-2008, 12:58 AM

Agreed.

If Otah is gone i'd much rather take the best player on the board rather than reaching on another OT...

BUT if cherilus or chris williams is the best player left then thats fine by me..

Galax Steeler
01-27-2008, 06:21 AM
I watched cherilus in the senior bowl last night he didn't look all that bad.

Lord Stiller
01-27-2008, 08:53 AM
im hoping we retain tuman... he's by far the most consistent blocker at TE and although he doesn't have the greatest speed he's a guy that will pick up a 1st down on any given play... besides who'll be our 3rd TE in one of BA's 3 TE formations :wink02:

You want Tuman again? Why so he can play 1 game and go on I.R.? I doubt Tuman will be back. I heard from a Skins fan that the TE we signed the other week from there is decent (Boyd i think?)

lilyoder6
01-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Wilson will most likely re-sign with a small contract. .i mean he really hasn't been a big target and will be a risky try to go into FA

McFadden iis a need to re-sign guy i think.. other than our 2 cb's he's the4 only one who has shown greatness and will be good after deshea is gone..

Batch , i agree that he'll stay in pitt and he is prob one of the best back ups in the league

Tuman, he is gone.. ir this yr and with speath coming in and doing well, so he's gone

Smith, i think we will resign him unless we can find a better player in FA or draft

Farrior...we have timmons alrdy so we re-sign him for a small contract or he goes bye bye

Rhee Rhee
01-29-2008, 02:21 AM
McFadden iis a need to re-sign guy i think.. other than our 2 cb's he's the4 only one who has shown greatness and will be good after deshea is gone..

Farrior...we have timmons alrdy so we re-sign him for a small contract or he goes bye bye

greatness? besides returning 1 INT for a TD he did next to nothing... i think deshea should move to FS... thats just my opinion... i agree with ur farrior observations either keep farrior if u are unsure about timmons or let him go... timmons should be competing with foote but should get farrior's job..

Dino 6 Rings
01-29-2008, 04:26 PM
greatness? besides returning 1 INT for a TD he did next to nothing... i think deshea should move to FS... thats just my opinion... i agree with ur farrior observations either keep farrior if u are unsure about timmons or let him go... timmons should be competing with foote but should get farrior's job..

Greatness...McFadden.

05, Bettis fumbles, Manning gets the ball, drives down field, eventually on 2nd tosses to the endzone, McFadden breaks up the play. on 3rd down, McFadden once again breaks up the pass play. On 4th, Colts miss the field goal, the rest his history.

So yes, McFadden has shown flashes of Greatness. He just needs more playing time to gain the confidence it will take to be a week in and week out everydown starting corner. Plus, Gay on the roster really pushes our D-backs to step up or step out cause that kid from Louisville has potential to be an awesome corner.

DACEB
01-29-2008, 04:57 PM

I agree with Deshea at FS, that is if Clark does'nt come back 100%. Either way IMO, he is a valuable player because of his experience. Is he the next Woodson?, no but I think we need all the help we can get in the secondary and he is capable of making the move to safety. Ryan Clark should start if healthy, Deshea can be #2.

That said, I think we need to draft someone for the secondary. I would'nt be mad with Cason (who can return punts also) or R. Smith (who could project to CB or S) in the 1st.

lilyoder6
01-29-2008, 05:50 PM
i think deshea might be too slow to cover half the field depending on the coverage.. i agree we need to get a cb/s in the first day to get some reps on d.

paw-n-maul-u
01-30-2008, 01:25 AM

Dude, I would love deshea lining up w/ troy in the backfield .... and Leodis McKelvin (sp? I think i totally messed that up) as a first round pick, or brandon flowers in the second round after a first round OT

Ike-big physical fast corner
flowers-play maker blazing speed best man cover corner in draft
B-mac, solid backup and nickle corner

HOWEVER, I like deshea gone, Bmac given a chance, and keep Clark at safety.
Tomlin wants to get younger, moving our oldest corner to a diff starting position doesnt do that at all. We do need another corner tho, a legit one. A first day corner.

paw-n-maul-u
01-30-2008, 01:28 AM
Greatness...McFadden.

05, Bettis fumbles, Manning gets the ball, drives down field, eventually on 2nd tosses to the endzone, McFadden breaks up the play. on 3rd down, McFadden once again breaks up the pass play. On 4th, Colts miss the field goal, the rest his history.

So yes, McFadden has shown flashes of Greatness. He just needs more playing time to gain the confidence it will take to be a week in and week out everydown starting corner. Plus, Gay on the roster really pushes our D-backs to step up or step out cause that kid from Louisville has potential to be an awesome corner.

dude 05 playoffs?

if the last "great play" you can name was TWO FULL YEARS AGO, you are lookin too hard my friend.

you can't tell me you base greatness on him luckily falling in the way of a reggie wayne fade pass in the corner. (not luckily, exagerating, but you get the point man, TWO YEARS!?!?!?!)