PDA

View Full Version : Any chance the Steelers hire Norm Chow?

Virginia Steeler
01-15-2008, 03:53 PM
The Titans just fired him, and I know Tomlin said he's keeping Arians but......

tony hipchest
01-15-2008, 03:56 PM
absolutely none unless we need a positional coach. what exactly does chow bring to the table that arians doesnt?

Atlanta Dan
01-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Definite slap in the face to Chow - my bet is Vince Young and Chow were not seeing eye to eye

No way Chow comes to Pitt - Tomlin says he likes the current staff and FWIW Ben appears to like both Arians and Anderson

Virginia Steeler
01-15-2008, 04:01 PM
what exactly does chow bring to the table that arians doesnt?

Hmmm....let's see -- He's been an OC for over 30 years....he developed some pretty good QBs -- Jim McMahon, Steve Young, Ty Detmer, Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer & Matt Leinart

fansince'76
01-15-2008, 04:30 PM
If he's such a miracle worker on O, why did Fisher give him the heave-ho? Because Young wanted him gone? Considering that Young hasn't shown much more than the ability to be another Vick as far as being a QB goes, I would hope there's a more compelling reason than that.

Dino 6 Rings
01-15-2008, 04:38 PM
he'll go to Dallas most likely since their O coordinator is heading to Baltimore.

Atlanta Dan
01-15-2008, 04:43 PM
If he's such a miracle worker on O, why did Fisher give him the heave-ho? Because Young wanted him gone? Considering that Young hasn't shown much more than the ability to be another Vick as far as being a QB goes, I would hope there's a more compelling reason than that.

It is easier to fire the OC than it is to fire an underperforming #1 draft pick QB - I recall Chow was brought in when Fisher was in a losing spell so Fisher may now have the power to say see ya to Norm.

Based on this story from the Nashville paper it may be Fisher and not Young who had issues, although Chow apparently does not see Young as the next Brady:

“Over the last week, we have done a lot of self-evaluation and I think we still have work ahead of us to reach our ultimate goal. I have informed Norm that he will not be retained as our offensive coordinator. I appreciate all of the hard work and contributions he made to the organization during his time here, but I have decided to go in a different direction and will start the process of finding a new offensive coordinator. We wish Norm and his family the best in their future endeavors.”

Chow, who had recently signed a two-year contract extension with the Titans, left town last week and has spent the last few days with his family in California. He was scheduled to return to Nashville before heading with the Titans coaching staff to Mobile, Ala., for Senior Bowl practices.

Asked if he thought the next offensive coaching staff could make things work with quarterback Vince Young, who threw nine touchdowns and 17 interceptions last season, Chow replied: “Obviously Jeff didn’t think that I could. I thought I was. That’s the thing. I don’t know… but it’s going to take some patience.’’

The Titans had the NFL's 27th-ranked passing offense this season, one year after Young was the league's offensive rookie of the year.

Young was blindsided by the news of Chow's firing, according to a representative.

“He was shocked,’’ said Mike Mu, Young's marketing agent. “I broke the news to him. He thought I was kidding him and didn’t believe it.’’

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080115/SPORTS01/80115048

lilyoder6
01-15-2008, 04:44 PM
i say he'll go to cincy or ari since they have qb's he coached at USC

Dino 6 Rings
01-15-2008, 04:52 PM
not a bad call, Cincy needs a change in a bad way.

MasterOfPuppets
01-15-2008, 05:05 PM
when are NFL front offices gonna put an end to the running QB experiments? how many OC's have to take the blame,before owners and GM's realize that these college, run first QB's just don't cut it. it's only vince youngs second year, and the titans just shit canned norm chow.how many OC's did the steelers go through, TRYING (unsuccessfully) to develop kordell? how many OC's got the axe because of Vick ?
Titans fire Chow after three seasons....

Chow, 61, told The Tennessean he was disappointed and didn't see the firing coming. He said he thought he could help develop Vince Young, who threw nearly twice as many interceptions as touchdowns this season.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3197683

Atlanta Dan
01-15-2008, 05:08 PM
not a bad call, Cincy needs a change in a bad way.

Carson would certainly welcome an OC who coached him up for the Heisman.

But it is the standard rap on college coaches - given the talent gaps at the NCAA level anyone coaching the talent USC or Florida recruit annually looks pretty good and then can get exposed without having that advantage at the pro level. Norm has done nothing special with the Titans.

lilyoder6
01-15-2008, 05:13 PM
i think he got young started... and he couldn't develop him more...

revefsreleets
01-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Chow as OC? Would we be going for the all-octogenarian coaching team? Norm Chow is 61 years old, and Dic k LeBeau (We need to fix that swear word censor thingy, by the way) is 70.

I always thought Chow was a bad fit in Tennessee. He's a drop-back pocket QB genius, and Vince Young is anything but. But I'll take Arians and this offense's potential and a little momentum and consistency from '07 into '08 over Chow anyday.

BlastFurnace
01-15-2008, 05:40 PM
No chance at all. None.

ShutDown24
01-15-2008, 05:42 PM
I kind of wish but I don't see it.

Rhee Rhee
01-15-2008, 08:11 PM
vince youngs terrible season was definitely not norm's fault... did u see their level of talent?

1. U have a QB who can't learn a playbook and who's first instinct is to take off and run with it...

2. You have recievers named bobby wade and justin gage... (u brought in an ancient relic in eric moulds to be ur #1 reciever...)

3. Ur running back position is solidified by chris henry a guy who ran a 4.4 forty but did nothing in college and lendale white... who's weight speaks for itself.. and chris brown..

i say bring norm to Pittsburgh... as a QB coach... who's our guy now? ken anderson... i think...

anyway im probably just really high on norm chow because of the fact he attended the same school as me... PUNAHOU!!!

msafford
01-15-2008, 09:16 PM
vince youngs terrible season was definitely not norm's fault... did u see their level of talent?

1. U have a QB who can't learn a playbook and who's first instinct is to take off and run with it...

2. You have recievers named bobby wade and justin gage... (u brought in an ancient relic in eric moulds to be ur #1 reciever...)

3. Ur running back position is solidified by chris henry a guy who ran a 4.4 forty but did nothing in college and lendale white... who's weight speaks for itself.. and chris brown..

i say bring norm to Pittsburgh... as a QB coach... who's our guy now? ken anderson... i think...

anyway im probably just really high on norm chow because of the fact he attended the same school as me... PUNAHOU!!!

umm...Ken Anderson....yeah, he's done ok for Ben I think. 2nd rated quarterback in the league. Watch the America's Game segments with the Steelers. I believe it was Joe Greene? who talked about hating to play the Bengals of old because Kenny Anderson used to tear them up. We'll be fine with who we have. 2nd year should be much better with Arians and Anderson. (and an o-line)

lilyoder6
01-15-2008, 09:20 PM
another reason u forgot to post about how bad vince youngs terrible season was b/c he was on the cover of madden 08... lol.. the madden curse lives on...

Rhee Rhee
01-15-2008, 10:08 PM
umm...Ken Anderson....yeah, he's done ok for Ben I think. 2nd rated quarterback in the league. Watch the America's Game segments with the Steelers. I believe it was Joe Greene? who talked about hating to play the Bengals of old because Kenny Anderson used to tear them up. We'll be fine with who we have. 2nd year should be much better with Arians and Anderson. (and an o-line)

idk man...being a great player doesn't ALWAYS mean u'll be a great coach... art shell's second attempt wit da raiders turned crappy... and besides ben made everyone else around him look GOOD

i agree the second year will be great for da stillers :tt02:

Rhee Rhee
01-15-2008, 10:09 PM
another reason u forgot to post about how bad vince youngs terrible season was b/c he was on the cover of madden 08... lol.. the madden curse lives on...

madden curse!!! that thing is deadly...

i remember someone like defied it... (not entirely but he had a decent season and his team made the playoffs...)

Edman
01-16-2008, 12:28 AM
It's easy to be a scapegoat when you're forced to work with mediocrity.

Vince Young is another Kordell. Another Vick. Another running QB. Another dazzler in college that doesn't deliver the goods in the NFL. He's not Chow's type of QB.

But he's not coming here.

Rhee Rhee
01-16-2008, 01:47 AM
when are NFL front offices gonna put an end to the running QB experiments? how many OC's have to take the blame,before owners and GM's realize that these college, run first QB's just don't cut it. it's only vince youngs second year, and the titans just shit canned norm chow.how many OC's did the steelers go through, TRYING (unsuccessfully) to develop kordell? how many OC's got the axe because of Vick ?

Chow, 61, told The Tennessean he was disappointed and didn't see the firing coming. He said he thought he could help develop Vince Young, who threw nearly twice as many interceptions as touchdowns this season.

i kind of think it's just the inability of the QB to buy into the system... too often the pocket breaks down and they just think to hellwith it and take of running... other times they'll show off their awesome arm strength and whip it 70 yards downfield not knowing who's hands it'll end up in... a GREAT QB like Ben Roethlisberger... would buy time with his feet and find the open man even if it's only for a 6-7 yard gain...

Jeremy
01-16-2008, 08:16 AM

Don't look for it to end anytime soon MOP. With the growth of the spread option offense in the college game, it's only a matter of time before someone gets the bright idea to install an honest to God spread option offense in the NFL with a guy like Tebow or Dixon as their quarterback.

Steeldude
01-16-2008, 09:34 AM
how long will it take the titans to realize that young is just another kordell stewart? firing chow was either a tactic to save face or a move to find an OC with a vanilla playbook. i think the titans' organization know they screwed up by picking young. fisher and chow wanted leinhart, not the second coming of kordell. maybe third if you count vick.

now the titans will be hiring and firing OCs left and right.

lilyoder6
01-16-2008, 09:45 AM
well i mean vick was good was he was playing... yes he liked to run but he loved to thow it to alge crumpler.... but i agree that vince needs to become a better passer and have better weapons to throw to

xXTheSteelKingsXx
01-16-2008, 03:02 PM
I could see Chow returning to USC if Carrol takes a pro job.

Jeremy
01-16-2008, 03:08 PM
I could see Chow returning to USC if Carrol takes a pro job.

OC isn't taking a pro job and Sarkisian doesn't get demoted for Chow.

lilyoder6
01-16-2008, 10:01 PM
maybe if carrol does go to a pro coaching job he might sign his old buddy chow to OC or something else...

X-Terminator
01-17-2008, 06:00 AM
No. Nada. Non. Nope. Nyet.

Edman
01-17-2008, 09:31 AM
No. Nada. Non. Nope. Nyet.

This basically sums it up right there.

I just don't get the hate for Arians. He's opened up the Offense, we USE the Tight Ends now, Willie Parker leads the league in rushing, and Big Ben reached the next level as a QB. All of this with an atrocious Offensive Line and average WR's outside of Ward and Holmes.