PDA

View Full Version : Duce?

Prosdo
10-24-2005, 09:47 AM
I haven't heard much news on Duce in a while. I think he dressed for the game against the Patriots, but I could be wrong. He was inactive again for this week. Will we be seeing Duce any time soon or are they holding on to him for when we are into the season more?

BurghThing
10-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Duce still isn't 100% and we really have no need for 5 active running backs on gameday. If, and its a big IF, everyone else stays healthy you may not see him dress again this year.

BB2W
10-24-2005, 11:35 AM
This is not looking good... Duce may br a cap casualty after this year, or they will ask him to take a pay cut and be the "big" back with Bettis gone. With it being Verron's last year of his contract. It will be interesting to see what our backfield looks like next year.

Grey
10-24-2005, 11:43 AM
Good point on the future of the Steeler's backfield. I think it's obvious that Duce can be our power back if he can only stay healthy for a season.

I think it's also obvious that Willie Parker does not fit into the Steelers system without the counter-puch of a big man like the BUS. What we have right now is great, but I believe this will be Jerome's last year once he finishes his career playing his last game in his hometown of Detroit. :smile:

I wonder if Noah Herron can fill the big back role.

Here we go.
Grey

Koopa
10-24-2005, 12:09 PM
i think we might need to take a big back in the third or fourth round this coming draft, cause duce is good but will probably never play a full season in his career. but now that miller is getting into the action it'll open things up more and willie can be more successful in this system

rowedf
10-24-2005, 12:55 PM
I disagree with the Willy comment about it being obvious he cant be a feature back. He's had 2 good games (without bettis). His stats weren't awful for the games he struggled:

09/25 NE 17 carries 55 yards
10/10 @SD 10 carries 26 yards
10/16 JAC 21 carries 55 yards

You have to take into consideration that the O line played very very poorly in the NE game and the JAC game. Then 17 carries and 10 carries aren't even "feature back" numbers......

I do like the one-two punch of a big back and a fast back. But, I also think Willy can be the feature back. This is his first year with the opportunity and he's doing well (IMO). Give him a full year under his belt, a full off season to be mentally and physically prepared to be "the man" and I think he'll do fine. I'd love to see him add a few lbs to his frame for next season, so when the season starts, he looses that 10-12 lbs of running weight and is right at 210-215.

Grey
10-24-2005, 01:32 PM
rowedf:

I see what you are saying, and maybe he can be a feature back and maintain a consistent level. I'm just saying that his style of running is not what we are built on. We have a power running game. I don't think that he will ever push the pile like a Steven Jackson kind of guy.

Either way, I'd like to see him put on some weight. Don't get me wrong. I love the skills that Parker has, and it's an awful lot of fun to see him find a seem and accelerate.

Here we go.
Grey

rowedf
10-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Grey:

I've never understood the scheme running though......I know the Steelers are considered a "power running" team, but isnt that 95% based on the back? Even with Bettis in his prime, they still ran frequently off the tackles or even outside them. I mean the line doesn't change their scheme based on Willy or Bettis.....I think that phrase of being a "power running" team comes from who the back is, not really the "scheme" of the running game.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
10-24-2005, 01:44 PM
we need to pick up a back in the draft this year in the early rounds.
Haynes really hasnt done a whole lot to impress and Staley is injury prone and aging.
I doubt Bettis will be back next year, so we need a big back from the draft, or possibly picking on up in free agency
Pittsburgh will not have the same running game once Bettis is gone, and we all know that the steelers are based upon the run..

Grey
10-24-2005, 01:51 PM
rowedf:

I don't know, I think that a power running team rolls with 2 tight ends and a fullback pretty often, and even though the holes aren't big, the power back still moves the pile and usually gains a few yards, but the non-power running team (can't think of a term) spreads the offense with wide outs and no fullback to force the defense out of the box and make a bit more room at the line of scrimmage for the smaller, quicker back.

Just my thoughts.

Here we go.
Grey

Cape Cod Steel Head
10-24-2005, 01:58 PM
Deuce may be the highest paid cheerleader in the N.F.L. When was the last time he played a full season?

TasmanianTroy271
10-24-2005, 02:06 PM
Bettis hasn't said this is his last year. If Duce heals up, Willie starts, and Herron or an '06 draftee steps up, he could stay on for a few more. I think he said it in an article somewhere after Willie got the starting role. He just wants to be here for the team, cause we all know that when Jerome comes in, everyone gets right back in it. I mean, he's the bus! It happenend against Cincy when he came in and ran all over them. Everyone stepped it up. now that you've guys got me thinking about the '06 draft, I think i'm gonna start a thread on it...

BlitzburghRockCity
10-24-2005, 03:33 PM
duce is not going to be 100 % for most of the year... he's still got 2 years left, and assuming Jerome retires..he'll be ready for 2006...

that being said, I want some insurance too in the draft or FA next year.

Prosdo
10-24-2005, 04:21 PM
duce is not going to be 100 % for most of the year... he's still got 2 years left, and assuming Jerome retires..he'll be ready for 2006...

that being said, I want some insurance too in the draft or FA next year.

Same here. I think we need to pick up a back as well.

Rotorhead
10-25-2005, 12:52 AM
I think the trend of the NFL is going to 2 feature backs. Willie and Duce together will be a good combo, like Bettis and Willie are right now. I think Duce will start making appearances after a couple more games and we will use him more often in the playoffs. I think we are keeping his legs fresh for a playoff run. I bet we drop Verron, Bettis retires (after our SB win!) and we keep Duce and Willie on for next year while drafting a big back with our first couple of picks to replace Duce after a couple of years. I agree with Heath getting better, 3-4 very good receivers, that our running game will tend to change over to a finesse type of game while relying on a big back in a few games.

ironcitychef
10-25-2005, 10:53 AM
I agree we will keep Duce around, but we will have some pressure for the position come into town as well.

clevestinks
10-25-2005, 03:22 PM
Duce has NO heart either. He doesn`t even sound like he wants to play most of the time. He has a big paycheck, and no problems on the sidelines. We were raped by him and his agent. It did seem like a good idea at the time, but what a bust he turned out to be.

Iron City Hangover
10-25-2005, 03:26 PM
should have shipped him off to New Orleans before the trade deadline for draft picks... get something out of the deal

Prosdo
10-30-2005, 04:17 PM
Duce Staley - #22 - Running back - 5'11" - 242lbs
News: RB Duce Staley will likely be inactive again Monday night.
Impact: "Duce has been fine; he understands the situation," running backs coach Dick Hoak said. "He missed all of training camp and hasn't been hit since the playoff game last season against New England. Sooner or later, we're going to need him. He has to stay ready and he's been doing that." (Fri. Oct 28, 2005)

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamFantasyNews?categoryId=67067

pitt
10-30-2005, 11:14 PM
Has duce EVER stayed healthy for a whole season?

Avoid LLoyd1975
10-30-2005, 11:42 PM
Full Name: LenDale White
Born: December 20, 1984
Birth Place: Denver, CO
Height: 6-2
Weight: 235 lbs.

Full Name: Michael Bush
Born: June 16, 1984
Birth Place: Louisville, KY
Height: 6-3
Weight: 240 lbs.

In the top 20 rushing leaders in the NCAA these are the only two big backs. Every other back in the top twenty is barely pushing 200-210lbs. Both of these backs have put up alot of scores for their respective teams but this just goes to show if we draft a RB looking to find a replacement for JB we are going to have to dig deep. Bush: 148 Attempts 813 yards with 18 TD's and White is sitting at 127 Attempts 853 yards with 13 TD's

BlitzburghRockCity
10-31-2005, 12:21 AM
Duce know's his role on this team now.. he knows jerome and willie have the hot hand...but damn; I'd rather see him in there on 3rd downs than Haynes I think.. ..Duce can catch outta the backfield and run hard.. why not !! ??

Prosdo
10-31-2005, 09:46 AM
I have been reading good things about those two Avoid. I am hoping we pick up a big back in the draft or FA.

Suitanim
10-31-2005, 10:22 AM
There are a couple more out there in the top 50...but pickings are pretty slim out of next years possible draft class. Bush is a Jr. who could come out early, but Bell is a sophomore.

Michael Bush from Louisville 6'3" 240
148 for 813 and 18 TD's

Kyle Bell Colorado St 6'2" 228
182 for 858 and 6 TD's

Cape Cod Steel Head
10-31-2005, 12:57 PM
Duce know's his role on this team now.. he knows jerome and willie have the hot hand...but damn; I'd rather see him in there on 3rd downs than Haynes I think.. ..Duce can catch outta the backfield and run hard.. why not !! ??
I agree, but he makes way too much money to be a third down back,and he is always injured. Bring in someone who can play a full season.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-31-2005, 01:14 PM
Yeah I agree his salary isnt condusive to a 3rd down back...but atleast getting him on the field is better than nothing..

Just a case of a crowded backfield and he's the odd man out right now. His health is a concern for sure, especially coming into 2006.

pitt
10-31-2005, 01:24 PM
I hate it every time the Coach puts Haynes in. He tries hard, but just can't get the job done.

Livinginthe past
10-31-2005, 01:55 PM
I cant see how the Steelers are going to be in any sort of drafting position to pick up Bush - he is going top 10 in my estimation - of course im hoping that the Pats wont be either......

Someone like Alexander has to be worth a shot next year (is he going to be a free agent or did he sign a long term contract?) - the extortionate rates struggling teams are having to pay unproven rookie RB's is crippling (see Chicago).

Cheers

NM

rowedf
10-31-2005, 02:03 PM
People are going to laugh at this but I really think the Steelers are going to look at Jamal Lewis. His "criminal" behavior was over 3 years ago, I don't think he's a "thug" type player (but I could be wrong). Lewis is a big back and fit the steeler running game well. I"ve read that Baltimore isn't serious right now about re-signing him and they are comfortable giong with Chester Taylor.

BurghThing
10-31-2005, 02:14 PM
I know its a game day, and everyone is partying early, but please, put down the pipe/mug before posting that the Steelers would have any interest in Jail-mal Lewis.

rgleason
10-31-2005, 03:29 PM
Look, here are the advantages to DUCE:
when healthy, he is a good back. Has good size and runs well, catches well out of the backfield? While someone earlier said they thought he's sitting on the sideline and doesn't care to play. While that is your interpretation, Duce is a class act and has respect for himself not act like a baby and wants what is best for the team. Leave all that primadonna drama for all the other teams, we dont have that with the Steelers and thank god.

Disadvantages: INJURIES. Not a matter of whether he will get hurt, but when. In the future, with Willie looking more and more every week like he isnt going anywhere and should get at least 12 carries a game, he's going to have a smaller role than was first imagined when he got here. Are willing to pay that kind of money for a 3rd down back or someone who will only carry the ball 8-12 times a game.

HOWEVER, for the time being, this season, with a rested and healthy Duce, we could go into january with Willie, Jerome, and Duce. Not a bad backfield for a SuperBowl run. All that matter is winning the Bowl this year.
I wouldn't rule Jerome for next season either. As seen last week and especially last year, he is still very effective, and still the spark and most beloved on the team. This notion you need to have one featured back is bogus, and we could be seeing a new trend like the Broncos, Chiefs, and as the Steelers are developing. Some guys are just so good that its worth getting the most of them as you can (tomlinson), but by having mutliple featured backs you got fresh legs, changes of pace, more selection of plays to suit each runner to keep the D on their toes. This especially true with us right now: Willie has that blinding speed, as fast breakaway speed maybe anyone else in the league. Jerome: we know what he's about. Duce is similar to Bettis is ways but has a pass catching dimension as well (whcih is why many would liek to see him fill that 3rd down Haynes role).

If Jerome leaves, we need to decide what to do with Duce, need to lock up Willie I think (I dont think, and I hope you guys dont, think he is flash in the pan, he's here to stay). But very soon we need to add someone: Draft (Are we willing to go First round on a Back? Have we even done that since Tim Worley?), FA (whose around, I couldnt see us getting a big name), or develop Herron to play a more significant role. Should be interesting, lets hear what yinz think.

Cape Cod Steel Head
10-31-2005, 04:11 PM
Don't get me wrong,I like Duce,and he'll be a great addition when he comes back. But it's much too high a price to pay for "fresh legs". As for next year do't fool yourself into thinking that Jerome is coming back. When/if we reach the bowl he is all done. He wants to be able to walk when he's fifty. Fortunately we have Willie. I don't think we can afford to keep both.