PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben on ... Alan Faneca, his contract and his wish list for 2008

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-16-2008, 04:10 AM
Big Ben on ... Alan Faneca, his contract and his wish list for 2008
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's wish list for 2008Ben Roethlisberger has three desires as he enters the offseason: A tall wide receiver, the return of guard Alan Faneca, and a new contract as soon as possible.

The contract most likely will be worked out, even if it does not occur as quickly as the Steelers quarterback might prefer. The other two are more problematic.

Faneca becomes an unrestricted free agent Feb. 29, and while the Steelers plan to talk to his agent before then, even director of football operations Kevin Colbert noted Monday that "the price most likely has gone up."

Still, Roethlisberger made his pitch to management that they try to keep his All-Pro guard, who has been a linchpin of the offensive line for a decade.

"I don't know what's going to happen," Roethlisberger said yesterday. "That's hard for me, there could be an outlying story, something here or there I don't know about. But they do know how I feel about it. They know how valuable he is."

He also knows that a similar plea he made to keep 6-5 receiver Plaxico Burress when he became an unrestricted free agent three years ago went unheeded.

Now Roethlisberger has made another appeal for the Steelers to acquire another tall wide receiver. His top three receivers are Hines Ward, listed as 6 feet, 5-11 Santonio Holmes and 6-1 Nate Washington.

"I'm always going to ask for a tall receiver," Roethlisberger said. "That's just me. Our receivers are unbelievable, but our tallest guy might be Hines? Or Santonio? Hines is going to say he's 6 foot, but he's 5-11, now."

The Steelers do have tall tight ends in 6-5 Heath Miller and 6-7 Matt Spaeth, but Roethlisberger would like to spot a taller target at wide receiver as well.

"It's nice to have a bailout guy, you know when you're in trouble and you just kind of throw it up. In the red zone its nice to have a guy like that. Obviously, we have a guy like Nate who can jump out of this world. He can jump so high. It's nice to have that.

"But to have a big guy who can create mismatches -- the same thing happened when Plax was here. So much presence went to Plax's side just because he's a big, good receiver, that Hines was always open or Antwaan [Randle El]. I just think it would open stuff up for us a lot more."

Part of it also has to do with the physics of the forward pass when he delivers it.

"I'm 6-5," Roethlisberger noted. "I throw down to a lot of these guys. You see so many times Hines reaching up and I'm getting him killed because he's reaching up for balls and I'm just throwing it on my plane. To have someone on the same plane as me would just make my job ... I wouldn't get Hines killed going across the middle all the time."

Roethlisberger said he has talked to the Steelers about it and that "we'll probably look for some guys in free agency, I would assume, look in there and see what we can find."

He also said that 6-3 Dallas Baker, a seventh-round draft pick from Florida who spent his rookie season on the Steelers' practice squad, might ultimately help in that regard.

"As soon as he gets out of that wide receiver funk of just running routes on a card, he has the potential to be pretty good," Roethlisberger said.

The quarterback has two years left on the contract he signed as a rookie in 2004, and both sides acknowledge that this is the year to extend it. He would prefer that to happen sooner rather than later.

"I'm eager, anxious because I want to get it done with, I want to say let's go, let's get it over with so the talks can stop, people can stop bugging me about it. Because I just want to play football. Let's get it over with, let's get it done so I can get right back into football and not think about it and not have people talking about it all the time."

His agent, Ryan Tollner, wanted to try to extend the deal a year ago, but the Steelers preferred to wait. No talks have yet been scheduled as far as Roethlisberger knows.

"My guys are waiting for that call," Roethlisberger said. "We don't want to push it. We are waiting to hear something from them.

"I don't know what to expect because you hear so many different stories from guys who have been here before and the media."

Might he take a Tom Brady-like stance where he does not demand as much as he might be able to get in order to save salary-cap room so the Steelers can sign others?

"You know what? I'm not even dealing with that right now," Roethlisberger said. "I'm always going to do what's best for this team."

• • •

NOTE -- DT Scott Paxson signed a contract with the Steelers. Undrafted from Penn State in 2006, he spent time on their practice squad the past two seasons.

Galax Steeler
01-16-2008, 04:49 AM
Big ben might get his wish in a tall wide reciever but I don't see him getting to keep faneca.

Steel Pit
01-16-2008, 06:12 AM
I can see the Steelers current group of wide receivers being a little disturbed by Roethlisberger's wish for a taller receiver. Just my opinion of course. :blah:

stillers4me
01-16-2008, 06:37 AM
I can see the Steelers current group of wide receivers being a little disturbed by Roethlisberger's wish for a taller receiver. Just my opinion of course. :blah:

I think they know how tall they are. (Well....somebody obviously needs to inform Hines :sofunny:)

jjpro11
01-16-2008, 06:42 AM
bryant johnson - 6'3 213
ernest wilford - 6'4 218
justin gage - 6'4 212
(RFA) malcolm floyd - 6'5 225

wouldnt mind seeing one of them be brought in.

i'd also keep an eye on andre davis, who is a decent deep threat and is a good return man. devery henderson, dj hackett, jerry porter and bernard berrian are the other guys to keep an eye on as well.

i think we will end up signing one of these guys.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-16-2008, 06:59 AM
Here is a list of FA Wide Recievers ...by height.

6'05 Malcom Floyd RFA San Diego Chargers
6'04 Randy Moss, UFA, New England Patriots
6'04 Justin Gage UFA Tennessee Titans
6'04 Ernest Wilford UFA Jacksonville Jaquars
6'03 Bryant Johnson, UFA, Arizona Cardinals
6'03 Drew Carter, UFA, Carolina Panthers
6'03 Marcus Robinson UFA
6'02 Doug Gabriel UFA Oakland Raiders
6'02 D.J. Hackett UFA Seattle Seahawks
6'01 Andre’ Davis UFA Houston Texans
6'01 Bernard Berrian, UFA, Chicago Bears
6'01 Keary Colbert UFA Carolina Panthers
6'00 Terrance Copper UFA New Orleans Saints
6'00 Taylor Jacobs UFA Washington Redskins
5'11 Devery Henderson, UFA, New Orleans Saints
5'11 Jerome Mathis RFA Houston Texans
5'11 Samie Parker UFA Kansas City Chiefs
5'10 David Patten UFA New Orleans Saints
5'10 Az-Zahir Hakim UFA Miami Dolphins
5'08 Antonio Chatman UFA Cincinnati Bengals

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-16-2008, 07:02 AM
bryant johnson - 6'3 213
ernest wilford - 6'4 218
justin gage - 6'4 212
(RFA) malcolm floyd - 6'5 225

wouldnt mind seeing one of them be brought in.

i'd also keep an eye on andre davis, who is a decent deep threat and is a good return man. devery henderson, dj hackett, jerry porter and bernard berrian are the other guys to keep an eye on as well.

i think we will end up signing one of these guys.

I think we can "afford" Gage.... and he would be a good fit for us....But Bryant Johnson or DJ Hackett would be very hign on my wish list!!!

STEELtownHAVOX
01-16-2008, 07:59 AM
I like Ernest Wilford....but that's my small opinion

Atlanta Dan
01-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Ben asking for the Steelers to sign Faneca is throwing a bone to a teammate and nothing more - if the Rooneys wanted to call Ben's bluff & ask how serious he really is they could come back through the P-G and ask Ben how much of a haircut on his contract he is willing to take to keep Faneca (Ben slipped away from the question on whether he would take less to help the team:smile:)

I agree with Ben on the smurf receivers - unfortnately the last time the Steelers tried to draft a tall receiver they burned a 4th round pick on functional illiterate Fred Gibson

After the second round Colbert should just put lists of players on a wall and throw darts for as much success as he has had in the later rounds the last several years

Lord Stiller
01-16-2008, 08:38 AM
I think we can "afford" Gage.... and he would be a good fit for us....But Bryant Johnson or DJ Hackett would be very hign on my wish list!!!

I dint know much about Gage, but I too would like to see us go after Bryant Johnson. I think he is a very good WR who was stuck in the shadows of Fitz and Boldin. He should be available at a reasonable price too

Jeremy
01-16-2008, 09:12 AM

No VT guys ever! They're too much of a risk.

SteelerFanInCA
01-16-2008, 11:43 AM
I like Johnson as well. I saw some pretty good hands from the few plays he made.

HometownGal
01-16-2008, 11:50 AM

I wouldn't mind the Steelers signing Wilford either, but I think the Jags will more than likely want to keep him.

Hey Ben - wanna give up some of your moola to keep Faneca? :wink02:

SteelersMongol
01-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Asking 4 tall receiver? That just hurts when those guys don't fail him, in my opinion.

ShutDown24
01-16-2008, 12:00 PM
I think Ben should have kept his mouth shut about the receivers. That is an insult no matter how nice he put it to them. As far as Faneca, that won't happen - He figured he might as well just give it a shot as a courtesy thing I think.

I do like Gage a lot; he wouldn't cost that much coming from the Titans...

fansince'76
01-16-2008, 12:02 PM
We could have frigging Yao Ming as a WR and if Ben is still getting clobbered 3,4,5 times a game (or more) it makes no difference. Priority #1 - fix the OL.

TackleMeBen
01-16-2008, 12:20 PM
We could have frigging Yao Ming as a WR and if Ben is still getting clobbered 3,4,5 times a game (or more) it makes no difference. Priority #1 - fix the OL.
:iagree: the reciever could be 8 feet tall and if the Oline doesnt protect then ben has no time to throw the ball.... so it dont matter how tall the reciever is when ben is usually laying on his back.

CanadianSteel
01-16-2008, 01:39 PM
I think there is some truth to the fact that Ben mentions about the plain of his throws being downwords to small(ish) receivers all the time. He seems to be able to hit the TE's in stride much better than the WR's for the most part, Maybe its mental, who knows, what think you all ??

Rhee Rhee
01-16-2008, 02:29 PM
i say go through the draft and get a reciever in the 3rd or 4th depending on what we do with the first two picks...

Steelerfreak58
01-16-2008, 02:58 PM

Well said.

#1 and #2 picks should be OL if they are really serious about fixing the line for the future which I truly believe belongs with Ben. A good O-Line wins football games.

Jeremy
01-16-2008, 03:02 PM
GS had great chemistry with Plax. I know that kills some Steelers fans to read that, but it's true. He probably had better chemistry with him than he's had with anyone else.

The good news is that there are a lot of options out there for a new Plax. James Hardy of Indiana, Limas Sweed of Texas, Mario Urrutia of Louisville.

Urrurita could be there on the second day.

Dylan
01-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Bryant johnson would be a ncie addition. might even take hometown discount (probably not), but he is a team player

Jeremy
01-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Bryant johnson would be a ncie addition. might even take hometown discount (probably not), but he is a team player

Johnson isn't going anywhere with Fitz on the market. As a matter of fact, the Steelers could probably have Fitz for a 1st and a 3rd.

MasterOfPuppets
01-16-2008, 03:19 PM
We could have frigging Yao Ming as a WR and if Ben is still getting clobbered 3,4,5 times a game (or more) it makes no difference. Priority #1 - fix the OL.i wonder how tall hines looks to ben when he's layin on the turf.....:toofunny:

19ward86
01-16-2008, 05:51 PM
i guess randy moss would do.....jk, i would like to see ernest wilford in black and gold, he always jacks us up when we play the jags.

Preacher
01-16-2008, 05:58 PM
"I'm eager, anxious because I want to get it done with, I want to say let's go, let's get it over with so the talks can stop, people can stop bugging me about it. Because I just want to play football. Let's get it over with, let's get it done so I can get right back into football and not think about it and not have people talking about it all the time."

His agent, Ryan Tollner, wanted to try to extend the deal a year ago, but the Steelers preferred to wait. No talks have yet been scheduled as far as Roethlisberger knows.

"My guys are waiting for that call," Roethlisberger said. "We don't want to push it. We are waiting to hear something from them.

"I don't know what to expect because you hear so many different stories from guys who have been here before and the media."

Might he take a Tom Brady-like stance where he does not demand as much as he might be able to get in order to save salary-cap room so the Steelers can sign others?

"You know what? I'm not even dealing with that right now," Roethlisberger said. "I'm always going to do what's best for this team."

I actually took this as a big sign of Ben maturing.

He isn't talking about the contract in the media, except to say he wants to get something done so he can be completely focused on the game, not the business of the game... I also liked this quote...

"You know what? I'm not even dealing with that right now," Roethlisberger said. "I'm always going to do what's best for this team

Seems to me... AD, that he WOULD take a bit of a cut if it proved best for the team... or if it gave some money to pick up other players.

I do think Ben is maturing as a QB, as a leader, and as a man. Good for him.

PisnNapalm
01-16-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm coming into this thread late. Here's what I take from the article.

Ben definitely wants a big man to throw to and not just tight ends. Big tall wide receivers are a definite plus.

Hines.... I love him to death but he's in his 11th season coming up..? He can't take the punishment like he used to. Santonio has great hands but he has no height advantage over the db's. Nate Washington...? I dunno... I'm still not completely sold on him. He's an ok 3rd wide out but not a #1 or #2.

I hope Hines realizes that Ben is not putting him down. I know Ben has alot of respect for Hines. I don't want to see ripples from these comments.

Alan Faneca is history. Some team is gonna offer him a boat load of cash and he's gonna take it. Ben better not count on Alan staying.

As far as Ben's contract... I do believe that Ben would take a bit less money if it would help the team. He saw Jerome do that. Ben is not gonna accept chump change but I don't think he's gonna try to break the bank like Peyton Manning.

anyway... That's my 2 cents.

Atlanta Dan
01-16-2008, 07:30 PM
I actually took this as a big sign of Ben maturing.

He isn't talking about the contract in the media, except to say he wants to get something done so he can be completely focused on the game, not the business of the game... I also liked this quote...

Seems to me... AD, that he WOULD take a bit of a cut if it proved best for the team... or if it gave some money to pick up other players.

I do think Ben is maturing as a QB, as a leader, and as a man. Good for him.

Talk is cheap - his agent would have a cardiac but if Ben wanted to be unequivocal about taking a haircut he could say "yes I will take less,", not that he will do "what is best for the team" since that could simply mean having a QB happy with his contract is "best for the team"

I have no problem with Ben's position - if he had another year like 2006 the Steelers would be drafting a QB and not talking contract extension - as Tomlin said last week, where you play is based on $$ and nothing else; it's a business and Ben needs to do whatever takes care of Ben - if that involves maxing out his contract at the expense of $$ for other signings so be it

I thought he gave a smart answer

Tony19
01-16-2008, 09:18 PM

WORD.

lilyoder6
01-16-2008, 10:48 PM
i would rather take the kid in college who is 7'7'' and 300 pounds... lol... if we could get fitz for a 3rd round pick i would fall over in schock... Urrurita i heard is projected in the 5 round or higher,,

Rhee Rhee
01-17-2008, 01:00 AM
Urrurita i heard is projected in the 5 round or higher,,

too bad urruitia's attitude is worse than TO and Randy's put toegether...

if he was in san diego right now he'd be on top of the world... he'd have vincent jackson gates and floyd all of whom are 6'4 or taller...

Preacher
01-17-2008, 01:07 AM
Talk is cheap - his agent would have a cardiac but if Ben wanted to be unequivocal about taking a haircut he could say "yes I will take less,", not that he will do "what is best for the team" since that could simply mean having a QB happy with his contract is "best for the team"

I have no problem with Ben's position - if he had another year like 2006 the Steelers would be drafting a QB and not talking contract extension - as Tomlin said last week, where you play is based on $$ and nothing else; it's a business and Ben needs to do whatever takes care of Ben - if that involves maxing out his contract at the expense of $$ for other signings so be it

I thought he gave a smart answer

I understand what you mean... Ben needs to take care of Ben. However, Isn't part of taken care of yourself allowing a bit of money to flow back to the line/receivers so that you can stay alive!?

Like I said, I could see some flowing back. A MAJOR haircut? No. Absolutely not. However, half a mill a year back to the cap? Yeah, i could see that.

Galax Steeler
01-17-2008, 05:17 AM
It would be great to see fitz or wilford in black and gold with protection to ben we would have a great passing game.

Atlanta Dan
01-17-2008, 08:26 AM
I understand what you mean... Ben needs to take care of Ben. However, Isn't part of taken care of yourself allowing a bit of money to flow back to the line/receivers so that you can stay alive!?

Like I said, I could see some flowing back. A MAJOR haircut? No. Absolutely not. However, half a mill a year back to the cap? Yeah, i could see that.

Well the question is if you do not push for every $ how do you know the money will go to a big receiver and the OL?

Last year Brady apparently was making it clear he was not thrilled the Pats were well under the cap after he did not push for every $ on his contract and he was stuck with a woeful WR corps - of course it worked out for Brady this year.

Players play while coaches & the front office make the personnel decisions - if Ben gives any discount he will simply have to trust how those savings are utilized - I do not know if that makes sense

lilyoder6
01-17-2008, 10:48 AM
i think i know what u are saying.. in brady's case he bitched about not having any real WR's.. and he wanted some... in ben's case he has good wr's he can throw too.. all he is asking is for a tall wr to bail him out sometimes by just throwing it up...

paw-n-maul-u
01-17-2008, 12:51 PM
No VT guys ever! They're too much of a risk.

too much of a risk? Rousse ... Tapp, D-lo, deuce will shine soon, Pre dogfighting mike-vick ... please don't tell me mike vick is the only player your thinking of.

Speaking of VT. I think a perfect second round pick would be someone like brandon flowers. You can never have too many good corners, and he is a play maker with ridiculous closing speed. A little undersized at 5-10, but see if that bothers champ bailey or dre bly any. He might not match up well with the bigger WR's, but we got Ike for that anyways. I honestly think he would be an immediate upgrade over B-mac and townsend

lilyoder6
01-17-2008, 01:25 PM
flowers had a very good season at CB... he could come in and play in nickel or dime situations...

Rhee Rhee
01-17-2008, 02:11 PM
too much of a risk? Rousse ... Tapp, D-lo, deuce will shine soon, Pre dogfighting mike-vick ... please don't tell me mike vick is the only player your thinking of.

Speaking of VT. I think a perfect second round pick would be someone like brandon flowers. You can never have too many good corners, and he is a play maker with ridiculous closing speed. A little undersized at 5-10, but see if that bothers champ bailey or dre bly any. He might not match up well with the bigger WR's, but we got Ike for that anyways. I honestly think he would be an immediate upgrade over B-mac and townsend

there is SOOOO Much depth at CB this year... we can wait on it unless a first rounder falls...

lilyoder6
01-17-2008, 04:44 PM
it's the draft of rb's and cb's this yr... we could get a good corner in the 3rd round maybe...

i wonder if we'll get a pick for compensation loss of joey porter...

Steel Pit
01-25-2008, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Ward blindsided by Big Ben's comments
Hines Ward spends his time these days at home in Atlanta, recovering from postseason surgery on his right knee. A different kind of hurt was delivered by his own quarterback last week.

Ben Roethlisberger called for the Steelers to acquire a tall wide receiver, specifically to help inside the 20 and for a bailout target when he's under pressure. He said he had that with 6-foot-5 Plaxico Burress, but not since after the 2004 season.

"I'm always going to ask for a tall receiver," Roethlisberger said in an interview with the Post-Gazette. "That's just me. Our receivers are unbelievable, but our tallest guy might be Hines. Or Santonio [Holmes]. Hines is going to say he's 6 foot, but he's 5-11."

That stung Ward, the most decorated Steelers receiver in history.

"I don't hear Tom Brady or Peyton Manning asking for that," Ward said yesterday.

"I don't know, whatever he says. I have no idea. To me, it's a rare combination of receivers out there who are good and tall. We won a Super Bowl, we didn't have a tall receiver then. I don't see Tom Brady caring about who's tall or not. He got Randy this year, but he did it before without him.''

Randy Moss, who is 6-4, is Brady's first good, tall receiver in New England, which is trying to win its fourth Super Bowl in the past seven seasons. Moss joined the team this year after a trade and set an NFL record with 23 touchdown receptions.

Reggie Wayne, one of Manning's stable of Indianapolis Colts receivers, led the NFL with 112 receptions and 1,510 yards this season. Like Ward, he is listed at 6 feet. So, too, is Marvin Harrison, who long has been Manning's favorite receiver.

"To me, I have enough problems to worry about than what Ben wants -- I can't give him the contract,'' Ward said, referring to Roethlisberger's wish to have a contract extension as soon as possible. "He wants a tall receiver? Why did we draft Santonio?"

Holmes, who stands 5-11, led the Steelers with eight touchdowns and 942 yards receiving last season, on 52 catches. His 18.1 yards per catch were higher than any of the top 50 receivers in the NFL. Ward led them with 71 receptions despite playing much of the season with a sprained knee and caught seven touchdown passes. Nate Washington, who stands 6-1, was third with 29 catches.

"I don't buy into height,'' said Ward, one of four finalists for the NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year award that will be chosen next week. "Look at my red-zone touchdowns -- I have as many as anyone in the league.''

Since 2002, Ward is tied for second in the league in percentage of touchdowns in the red zone, described by the NFL as inside the 20. Moss is first with 36 percent and Ward, Harrison and Terrell Owens are tied with 33 percent.

That's why Roethlisberger's appeal for a tall receiver to help in the red zone hurt Ward, who holds most Steelers receiving records to go along with his four Pro Bowl appearances and a Super Bowl MVP award.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08025/852112-66.stm

Yahtzee! I'm just saying, I knew this was coming.