PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger wants to stick with Steelers

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-16-2008, 03:28 AM
Roethlisberger wants to stick with Steelers
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, January 16, 2008

If Ben Roethlisberger gets his wish, the next NFL move he'll make will be to Canton, Ohio, following a long and distinguished career with the Steelers.
"I would love to retire here," Roethlisberger said on Tuesday. "I would love to go the Hall of Fame in a Steelers jersey. That would be an ultimate goal. I want to do what (Dan) Marino, (Jim) Kelly, (John) Elway and all those guys did -- play with one team their whole career."

Roethlisberger is hoping to move one step closer toward realizing that goal this offseason by agreeing to a long-term contract extension with the Steelers.

"I'm sure we'll talk to him soon," Steelers chairman Dan Rooney said.

Roethlisberger has two years remaining on his initial deal.
"The quarterback position is one position we've addressed two years prior to free agency," Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said. "Obviously, Ben has done some great things for our organization. We expect him to accomplish even greater things moving forward.

"Although we have not as of yet entered into official negotiations, we would anticipate that beginning in the very near future."

Roethlisberger set several Steelers records this season, including most touchdown passes in a season (32).

"I just want to get it over with, truthfully," Roethlisberger said. "I never really think about it except when people bring it up to me. Everywhere I go it's, 'What's going on with the contract?'

"I don't really know. I just want to play football, and I want to get started thinking about that. So the sooner we can get talking and get this over with, the better for me."

Roethlisberger is scheduled to earn $1,356,500 in 2008 and $1,707,000 in 2009 in base salary. He is due bonuses of $2.95 million in 2008 and $8 million in 2009.

Tony Romo of Dallas reportedly signed a six-year, $67.5 million contract, with $30 million guaranteed, in October.

Marc Bulger of St. Louis reportedly signed a six-year, $65 million deal, with $27 million guaranteed, in July.

Neither has started for a Super Bowl champion, as Roethlisberger did in 2005.

"You always know what other guys are making because everyone blasts it all over the place," Roethlisberger said. "You know that Romo just did a deal. You know what Peyton (Manning) made a couple years ago (a reported $99.2 million over nine years, with a $34.5 million signing bonus). You know what's going on. It's crazy.

"I don't really know how all that stuff works out with what's guaranteed and how you do this. I don't even deal with that. That's why you hire agents."

Notes: All-Pro guard Alan Faneca, among others, is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent at 12:01 a.m. on Feb. 29. "We've left the door open," Colbert said. "They did; we did. Where it goes, I don't know." ... The Steelers signed defensive tackle Scott Paxson to their reserve/future list. Paxson, a former rookie-free agent from Penn State, has spent time on the Steelers' practice squad the past two seasons.

Galax Steeler
01-16-2008, 03:51 AM
That is great news that ben wants to stay a steeler he will be fun to watch for years to come and then we can watch him go to canton.

jjpro11
01-16-2008, 05:45 AM
i think the rooneys understand what the backlash would be with the fans if he didnt get an extension.. really when you think about it, what other team didnt go about resigning their star quarterback in his prime when the time came up? that just doesnt happen in the nfl because of the scarcity of franchise quarterbacks.

Jeremy
01-16-2008, 08:14 AM
Money talks and bullshit walks. We'll see how serious he is about being a Steeler for his whole career soon.

fansince'76
01-16-2008, 08:33 AM
Money talks and bullshit walks. We'll see how serious he is about being a Steeler for his whole career soon.

I agree - sentiment is nice, but everybody knows it's all about the :dollar:.

TackleMeBen
01-16-2008, 08:49 AM
I agree - sentiment is nice, but everybody knows it's all about the :dollar:.

:iagree: seriously how many of us would take a paycut just because we like what we do??

Jeremy
01-16-2008, 08:51 AM
:iagree: seriously how many of us would take a paycut just because we like what we do??

Not me, that's for sure. I just hope nobody expects GS to give the Steelers a home town discount.

tony hipchest
01-16-2008, 09:11 AM
if the rooneys didnt ask polamalu to give a hometown discount, i doubt theyre gonna do the same with one of the best franchise players theyve had since jerome bettis.

teams can afford to pay qb's the big bucks. every team wants a qb who is capable of earning the big bucks. its not a bad problem to have so signing ben long term shouldnt be problematic at all.

a fair market deal will be struck and ben will be making money in the range of c. palmer, t. brady, d. mcnabb, and manning (possibly more, seeing how old their deals are).

Jeremy
01-16-2008, 09:15 AM
if the rooneys didnt ask polamalu to give a hometown discount, i doubt theyre gonna do the same with one of the best franchise players theyve had since jerome bettis.

teams can afford to pay qb's the big bucks. every team wants a qb who is capable of earning the big bucks. its not a bad problem to have so signing ben long term shouldnt be problematic at all.

a fair market deal will be struck and ben will be making money in the range of c. palmer, t. brady, d. mcnabb, and manning (possibly more, seeing how old their deals are).

I hope it goes down that way. Because GS and Polamalu are basically the two faces of the franchise right now. There's some significant age on that team and they need these young guys to stick around while they reload.

lilyoder6
01-16-2008, 09:50 AM
bettis and ward took a pay cut in early yrs..

klick81
01-16-2008, 09:56 AM
We'll see when the time comes. Nothing is assured these days.

Edman
01-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Nice job, Ben. But you're not fooling anybody.

It's all about the $ and nothing more.

SteelerFanInCA
01-16-2008, 10:16 AM
I think the Rooney's know what they have in Ben. In the end, I'm sure a fair deal will be worked out and both parties will be happy.

Jeremy
01-16-2008, 10:21 AM

So?

fansince'76
01-16-2008, 10:29 AM

Umm, no, they didn't. The Bus took a paycut late in his career when every team in the league including the Steelers knew he was past his prime and he had no choice but to take a paycut if he wanted to continue playing.

http://www.steelersalarycap.com/player/HinesWard.htm

http://www.steelersalarycap.com/player/JeromeBettis.htm

memphissteelergirl
01-16-2008, 10:33 AM
I think the Rooney's know what they have in Ben. In the end, I'm sure a fair deal will be worked out and both parties will be happy.

:iagree:

HometownGal
01-16-2008, 10:56 AM
In today's NFL, it is all about the cashola. I appreciate Ben's loyalty to the team, the franchise and the fans, but when all is said and done, he's going to go for the gusto. He's earned the big money that some of his peers are getting and I'm sure the Rooneys will work out a deal with him where both sides are satisfied.

SteelersMongol
01-16-2008, 10:59 AM

That's one of the reasons why Bus is my all-time favorite Steeler. :tt02:

Jeremy
01-16-2008, 11:03 AM
The vast majority of NFL players get once chance for the big payday. With how short their careers are, you can't blame them. GS should go for all he can get.

TackleMeBen
01-16-2008, 11:13 AM
note my signature.. need i say more :flap:

tony hipchest
01-16-2008, 11:30 AM
note my signature.. need i say more :flap:

yes. how bout-

http://espn.go.com/i/editorial/2006/0518/photo/ben_roethlisberger_cheese2_275.jpg

"Show me the cheddar!"

TackleMeBen
01-16-2008, 11:32 AM
yes. how bout-

http://espn.go.com/i/editorial/2006/0518/photo/ben_roethlisberger_cheese2_275.jpg

"Show me the cheddar!"

its been awhile but i knew i could get you to bring it out...lol... i am sure after he signs that new big contract he will be saying cheese, i am rolling in the dough now... in fact he probably could just go buy the whole cheese factory..lol :sofunny::sofunny:

tony hipchest
01-16-2008, 11:53 AM
its been awhile but i knew i could get you to bring it out...lol... i am sure after he signs that new big contract he will be saying cheese, i am rolling in the dough now... in fact he probably could just go buy the whole cheese factory..lol :sofunny::sofunny:i bet he opens a swiss bank account...

TackleMeBen
01-16-2008, 11:59 AM
i bet he opens a swiss bank account...

:sofunny::sofunny:.. no he needs that new big contract so he can pay for his sister's college tution..lol :flap:

CanadianSteel
01-16-2008, 12:22 PM
I have stated sevearl times that Ben deserves what he can get, but I hope he has the hindsight to see what Brady did and perhaps take a little less than he could likely demand, as to help the team keep some good talent around him in the coming years ( see O-lineman).
Not calling it a hometown discount, but if Ben is serious about winning I hope this is the approach he takes...... (lets call it a "Cap friendly" discount.....) :tt02:

TackleMeBen
01-16-2008, 12:24 PM
I have stated sevearl times that Ben deserves what he can get, but I hope he has the hindsight to see what Brady did and perhaps take a little less than he could likely demand, as to help the team keep some good talent around him in the coming years ( see Oloineman).
Not calling it a hometown discount, but if Ben is serious about winning I hope this is the approach he takes...... (lets call it a "Cap friendly" discount.....)

there is no such thing as a 'cap friendly' discount when you are talking about a man's money... he will ask for what he is owed and maybe a little more. :bouncy:

OneForTheToe
01-16-2008, 12:25 PM
I agree - while I believe Ben when he says he wants to stay here, I don't believe him, as far as I could toss him, that he doesn't understand terms like guaranteed money. Guaranteed mula is the crux of most contract negotiations in the NFL, because unlike MLB where the entire contracts of the Fransico Cabbrerra's of the world are guaranteed, the NFL actually guarantees much less of a percentage of said mula, even for its biggest stars.

If there is a sticking point with Ben over his contract it will be over guaranteed money. The Rooney's don?t like to guarantee huge sums of money that might come back to nip them in the *ss later if the player is cut, permanently injured or caught in the dirty business of emo fighting.

The big reason for hope that this will get done is that Ben's contract won't really set a precedent for other contracts on the team. It's should be pretty clear to the other players that Ben will be, and remain, the highest paid player on the team.

tony hipchest
01-16-2008, 12:47 PM
look at some of the teams still in the playoffs (as of last weekend) who have no glaring cap problems and rich qb's

b. favre = super rich
p. manning = super rich
t. brady = super rich
eli, romo, and rivers are all extremely rich franchise qb's as is matt hasselbeck.

the only "poor" qb in the final 8 was david garrard.

the rules encourage qb shootouts. >>>> great qb play (and high scoring) increases tv deals. >>>> the nfl increases the salary cap. >>>> the teams increase the pay given to qb's.

teams like the patriots, cowboys, redskins can flirt with salary cap hell on the gamble that if they keep performing, the next tv contract will be even greater and the nfl will bail them out by raising the salary cap to levels above what they have already spent in signing bonuses.

i dont think the bottom is going to fall out of the "market" anytime soon. with that being said, i dont understand all the talk about ben giving a "hometown discount". everybody was worried that polamalu would have to give a hometown discount and the rooneys, in turn, made him the highest paid safety in the game.

ben is our qb. qb's of his calibur (franchise) almost NEVER hit the free agency market after their 1st (usually rookie) contract expires.

CanadianSteel
01-16-2008, 12:54 PM
there is no such thing as a 'cap friendly' discount when you are talking about a man's money... he will ask for what he is owed and maybe a little more. :bouncy:

Then what would you call what Brady did in taking less than he had every right to demand from the Pats......
I believe he got less than Maning and Palmer as well as some others.

Ben will get his money, but hope it doesn't break the Steelers Cap like I think some of Mannings contarct did.

See below from USA today. I hope Bens contarct is structred more like Brady initailly at least is what I am trying to say.

Player Team Base Salary Sign Bonus Other Bonus Total Salary Cap Value
Palmer, Carson Bengals $ 7,250,000 $ 0 $ 0 $ 7,250,000 $ 13,480,000
Favre, Brett Packers $ 11,000,000 $ 0 $ 480 $ 11,000,480 $ 11,800,480
Manning, Eli Giants $ 5,550,000 $ 900,000 $ 1,500,000 $ 6,450,000 $ 10,046,666
Hasselbeck, Matt Seahawks $ 6,000,000 $ 16,000,000 $ 4,320 $ 6,004,320 $ 9,204,320
Bulger, Marc Rams $ 3,950,000 $ 12,000,000 $ 1,552,040 $ 17,502,040 $ 9,125,040
Rivers, Philip Chargers $ 5,000,000 $ 7,650,000 $ 3,630,760 $ 5,005,760 $ 8,905,760
McNabb, Donovan Eagles $ 5,500,000 $ 13,500,000 $ 4,080 $ 5,504,080 $ 8,557,991
Manning, Peyton Colts $ 1,000,000 $ 0 $ 3,840 $ 11,003,840 $ 8,203,840
Leinart, Matt Cardinals $ 2,760,000 $ 0 $ 5,439,920 $ 10,339,920 $ 8,114,920
Brady, Tom Patriots $ 720,000 $ 5,280,000 $ 5,160 $ 6,005,160 $ 7,345,160

Jeremy
01-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Who's GS's agent?

Rhee Rhee
01-16-2008, 01:26 PM
i pray ben doesn't break the bank... i hope he leaves enough to sign a couple FA

Jeremy
01-16-2008, 01:30 PM
i pray ben doesn't break the bank... i hope he leaves enough to sign a couple FA

Only time will tell. I tend to think he's going to want a contract along the lines of Brady and Manning.

Dylan
01-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Thats loyalty to the the team

TackleMeBen
01-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Who's GS's agent?

i love the GS there..lol. if i am not mistaking i think the guy's name is ryan tollner

19ward86
01-16-2008, 04:53 PM
i would hope he would want to stay in pittsburgh....i see a 6 yr 48million dollar contract in his future.

Jeremy
01-16-2008, 08:19 PM
i would hope he would want to stay in pittsburgh....i see a 6 yr 48million dollar contract in his future.

He won't sign for a cent less than $9 million per season....you can count on that.

MasterOfPuppets
01-16-2008, 08:36 PM
:toofunny:.....Do you actually think he'd take less than romo's 6 year 60 mill ?....

:lost:....or were you talking about faneca??? because thats the deal he's looking for.

lilyoder6
01-16-2008, 09:43 PM
i bet he'll be the 3rd highest qb when the contract is signed.. he should be paid as one of the top 5 in the league...

Rhee Rhee
01-16-2008, 11:49 PM
He won't sign for a cent less than $9 million per season....you can count on that.

just imagine if this was a baseball team or hockey... we'd be talking 13 years 134 million... like ovechkin... or a-rod what were people talking about before? like 10 year 200 million.... just crazy... makes ben's 9million look like pocket change...

X-Terminator
01-17-2008, 12:52 AM

Are you serious? If the Steelers offered Ben that contract, I'd be offended.

My guess is that he gets 6-7 yr, $65mil - $75mil, with at least $30 million up front or in guaranteed salary. The Rooneys will NOT short-change him. They understand the PR disaster that would ensue if they somehow let their franchise QB get away.

Preacher
01-17-2008, 01:21 AM
Are you serious? If the Steelers offered Ben that contract, I'd be offended.

My guess is that he gets 6-7 yr, $65mil - $75mil, with at least $30 million up front or in guaranteed salary. The Rooneys will NOT short-change him. They understand the PR disaster that would ensue if they somehow let their franchise QB get away.

No...

I see a 10 year, 90-100 million, 50-60 upfront/guaranteed, with about another 10 to 15 mill in bonuses, including career records bonuses possibly.

With as young as he is, and how salaries are booming, we would be silly to do anything else. In 7 years, that salary cap hit will be seen as small potatoes in comparison to other players of his capacity.

Galax Steeler
01-17-2008, 04:11 AM
No...

I see a 10 year, 90-100 million, 50-60 upfront/guaranteed, with about another 10 to 15 mill in bonuses, including career records bonuses possibly.

With as young as he is, and how salaries are booming, we would be silly to do anything else. In 7 years, that salary cap hit will be seen as small potatoes in comparison to other players of his capacity.

Preacher that sounds about right and like you said in a few years that will not seem like much.

Jeremy
01-17-2008, 07:52 AM
No...

No way they should be talking about 10 years. That's a long time to commit that much money to one guy.

lilyoder6
01-17-2008, 09:43 AM
thats true.. the 100 mill dollar contract are going to come soon esp.. with ppl overpaying players.... the slary caps are going to be high in the future...

Rhee Rhee
01-17-2008, 01:01 PM
No way they should be talking about 10 years. That's a long time to commit that much money to one guy.

no one on the team is more important than a QB

The Duke
01-17-2008, 01:07 PM
no one on the team is more important than a QB

tell that to the steelers from the 90's-2004 lol :flap: . really, sometimes it seemed like they thought the QB was just another player

I'm glad Ben wants to stay and I can't wait to see him back next season even better