PDA

View Full Version : Franchise tag option for Faneca

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-16-2008, 04:30 AM
Franchise tag option for Faneca
By Mike Bires, Times sports staff
Published: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:16 AM EST

PITTSBURGH ? If the Steelers want to really play hard ball with Alan Faneca, they could keep him for at least one more year by slapping the ?franchise player? tag on him.

Kevin Colbert, the Steelers? director of football operations, said Monday that franchising Faneca, the seven-time Pro Bowl guard who?s eligible for unrestricted free agency, isn?t probable. But it?s nonetheless an option the Steelers can exercise if they chose to do so.

?The franchise tag is always at our disposal,? Colbert said. ?Traditionally, we do not use the franchise tag, because, as an organization, we want to have players that want to be part of our organization. But we will never say we?ll never use the franchise tag because it?s a collective bargaining tool that?s at our disposal.?

All NFL teams are allowed to designate one franchise player.

An ?exclusive? franchise player, who would not be free to sign with another team, is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries at that player's position, or 120 percent of the player?s previous year's salary, whichever is greater.

This past season, Faneca?s base salary was only $4.375 million, a $1 million roster bonus included.

If the Steelers would tag Faneca as a franchise player, he would receive a one-year contract worth roughly $9 million. Last year?s franchise tag salary for an offensive lineman was $9.5 million.

Only once since Colbert came to Pittsburgh in 2000 have the Steelers exercised their right to tag someone a franchise player. That was in 2002 when they tagged linebacker Jason Gildon.

Faneca, the Steelers? No. 1 pick in the 1998 NFL Draft, was hoping to receive a lucrative extension before the 2007 season. But during mini-camp in May when he sensed he wouldn?t get that deal, he declared, ?This will be my last year as a Pittsburgh Steeler.?

Last week, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he still believes a deal can be struck that would enable Faneca to end his career in Pittsburgh.

Colbet said Monday that ?We have not closed the door on that at all.? But he still didn?t sound optimistic about a deal getting done.

Colbert said he and Steelers management are studying the team?s salary cap situation, their own list of free agents and the league-wide free agent list.

But because the demand for Faneca is likely to be high, it will be difficult for the Steelers to make him an offer he?ll get elsewhere.

?Any time a player gets to free agency, you?re going to have more competition for that player, and obviously the compensation will usually go up,? Colbert said. ?That?s why we try to sign guys before free agency. They get some security and we get a more workable deal.

?So we can still sign (Alan), but usually, once they get to this point, they?re willing to wait it out and unless you give them the compensation they?re looking for.?

Galax Steeler
01-16-2008, 04:54 AM
Sounds like they will try to make efforts to keep him and I would like to see him stay a steeler but I think his mind is made up and we can't afford him so I would say he is good as gone.

Steel Pit
01-16-2008, 06:17 AM
Yes, I would say that he's gone. I don't want to see the Steelers spending that kind of money on a guy who doesn't want to be there. Heck, his play last year wasn't even great. With the kind of money that it's going to take to sign Faneca, the Steelers could sign 2, very good, free agent-offensive linemen.

jjpro11
01-16-2008, 06:24 AM
theres no point in franchising him if its just going to piss him off. we dont need a disgruntled player anchoring our oline next year. if a real deal cant get done that makes both sides happy, then let him leave. i'd like to see him stay though.

LambertLunatic
01-16-2008, 12:33 PM
My guess is that if the Steelers put the franchise tag on him, Faneca will just hold out in camp.

STEELtownHAVOX
01-16-2008, 12:43 PM
The Franchise tag for Faneca = disaster. Either pay the man what he wants or let him walk out of your grasp

Dylan
01-16-2008, 02:28 PM
This could be a win-lose situation if we place the tag on him.

If we do place the tag on him, he might become furious and holdout or he will go through the motions.

On the other hand if he does go through the motions we might be able to sign him to what we normally wanted to do. I forget but i think we offrered him a 4-year 36 million contract with a 4 mill bonus.

Rhee Rhee
01-16-2008, 02:32 PM
stupid stupid stupid... im startin to dislike colbert in light of his recent comments about the draft and alan...

lilyoder6
01-16-2008, 02:54 PM
it's the way the pats slapped the tag on samuel... he was pissed but he knew that if he came out this yr and had another great yr teams will have to put up the money to sign him or re-sign him...

Dino 6 Rings
01-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Slap him with the Tag, he's exactly the reason the Franchise Tag was created. A player that is going to attempt to "blackmail" his team into over paying for his value because some Idiot in San Francisco paid a Gabillion Dollars to some under acheiving O-lineman from Seattle. The Tag was put in place exactly for this situation. I say use it. And then offer him "Realistic" money. If he holds out, so what, he gets another year older and in the 09 season, people won't be willing to put the money out that he Thinks he's worth right now.

Tag his ass...that's what I say.

Preacher
01-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Slap him with the Tag, he's exactly the reason the Franchise Tag was created. A player that is going to attempt to "blackmail" his team into over paying for his value because some Idiot in San Francisco paid a Gabillion Dollars to some under acheiving O-lineman from Seattle. The Tag was put in place exactly for this situation. I say use it. And then offer him "Realistic" money. If he holds out, so what, he gets another year older and in the 09 season, people won't be willing to put the money out that he Thinks he's worth right now.

Tag his ass...that's what I say.

Slap him with the tag?

Only if he was actually worth the 6 or 7 plus million he would get. He isn't ANYWHERE NEAR THAT WORTH NOW. The entire reason the Rooneys WONT pay him is because he has gone down in worth, and he thinks he has gone up. I say for that money, go trade a 2nd and 3rd round for another first round and pick up two first round OL.

Faneca simply is not worth it anymore. He blew too many blocks... and to many assignments.

19ward86
01-16-2008, 05:54 PM
NNNNOOOOOOOO.....that would be like 8-10 million, i would rather get 2 or three experienced players for that amount.

Dino 6 Rings
01-16-2008, 05:59 PM
Slap him with the tag?

Only if he was actually worth the 6 or 7 plus million he would get. He isn't ANYWHERE NEAR THAT WORTH NOW. The entire reason the Rooneys WONT pay him is because he has gone down in worth, and he thinks he has gone up. I say for that money, go trade a 2nd and 3rd round for another first round and pick up two first round OL.

Faneca simply is not worth it anymore. He blew too many blocks... and to many assignments.

I agree, he isn't worth the money. If we tag him does he get that much money? I didn't realize that. My mistake. I figured it was a good way to "hold on" to him for another season and then negotiate a sensable contract with him.

He did blow a lot of blocks and had a few false starts this season that were mind boggling.

Preacher
01-16-2008, 06:14 PM
I agree, he isn't worth the money. If we tag him does he get that much money? I didn't realize that. My mistake. I figured it was a good way to "hold on" to him for another season and then negotiate a sensable contract with him.

He did blow a lot of blocks and had a few false starts this season that were mind boggling.

OK.... I see what you're saying. Tag him if we can for current or just above current salary. Yeah, that would have been nice. I would even take him back for that much. It would give us another year to rebuild our line.

Unfortunately, Tagging means you get the average of the top 5 salaries at that position, and I beleive Guards and Tackles are all included... so it is the top of all those... I don't really know the figures, but I think 19ward may be right at someplace between 8-10 million for a year.

Steeler in Carolina
01-16-2008, 06:27 PM
I think his name will get him 8-10 million on the open market and well as a good signing bonus. I say offer him 8 million per year for 4 years and if he walks, go get a couple of good linemen for that money. Ben should be our number 1 priority.

Crushzilla
01-16-2008, 06:36 PM
OK.... I see what you're saying. Tag him if we can for current or just above current salary. Yeah, that would have been nice. I would even take him back for that much. It would give us another year to rebuild our line.

Unfortunately, Tagging means you get the average of the top 5 salaries at that position, and I beleive Guards and Tackles are all included... so it is the top of all those... I don't really know the figures, but I think 19ward may be right at someplace between 8-10 million for a year.

I think you're right. Unfortunately, the Franchise Tag is a bad move, especially in Faneca's case.

Let's take a look at this.

Why can't we resign Alan Faneca? Because he can get big money elsewhere in FA.

Why does he believe he can get big money in FA? Because sh*tty teams have TOTALLY inflated the market by dropping RIDICULOUS contracts on Offensive Linemen.

Why does that hurt doubly? Because those same overpaid Linemen are the ones who make up the Top 5 salaries. Which means Alan Faneca would get a contract that reflects the inflated market!

Its a vicious circle. The only benefit is you aren't stuck with him for more than a year... but he's stuck with you.

The fact that my head is spinning makes this so much easier to realize...

Get a long term deal done... or LET ALAN FANECA WALK

PisnNapalm
01-16-2008, 06:52 PM
It'll never happen. I don't want it to happen. I doubt he'd be happy here anymore. :(

lilyoder6
01-16-2008, 10:53 PM
that is true that this past offseason the teams paying way way too much for avg players to humagous contracts.. like leonard davis with his 60 mill contract.. and then off subkext the 80 mill contract to clements from the 49er's... too much money

Rhee Rhee
01-17-2008, 12:51 AM
dude with Free Agents getting so much money the only position we can franchise is K/P

revefsreleets
01-17-2008, 10:20 AM
This is a bad idea for two reasons:
1) Faneca can't afford to stay here another year at any cost. If his skills erode as badly in '08 as they did in '07, he won't be able to get any kind of big money deal. The dude has only a few years left, and he needs to get phat while he still can. Somebody is willing to wildly overpay fro him, but this year might be it.
2) 9 million would be SO much better spent elsewhere. He's going to need replaced sooner or later, so definitely make it sooner.

lilyoder6
01-17-2008, 10:33 AM
espicially if we could bring in 2-3 FA that can make a tribute to the team on gameday... 3 ppl helping out is beter than 1...

OX1947
01-17-2008, 01:24 PM
The guy is going to get an insane amount of money. There is no way the Steeler can sign him otherwise they would have by now. Good for Faneca. 10 yrs with the Steelers, he should be commended. This is the NFL, teams cant sign everyone for top money, they just cant.

Rhee Rhee
01-17-2008, 02:14 PM
The guy is going to get an insane amount of money. There is no way the Steeler can sign him otherwise they would have by now. Good for Faneca. 10 yrs with the Steelers, he should be commended. This is the NFL, teams cant sign everyone for top money, they just cant.

Agreed

The fact he already stayed with us for 10 years is a feat in itself... bring him back would just piss him off and cause his steeler history to be tainted...

paw-n-maul-u
01-17-2008, 02:23 PM
I say franchise him, there always comes a point where the player just shutsssssssTFU. a la Lance Briggs and Asante Samuel. It was cute you guys bitched for awhile and skipped camp ... and still made the probowl ...

I wouldn't say Faneca has sounded anything CLOSE to how briggs was acting ... and look what briggs said now, he dropped to his knees w/ the tail behind the legs "oh, oh, oh, i always wanted to be a Bear, blah blah chicago blah blah, wish i was rich as B. Urlacher, blah blah.

Franchise that little ginger boy faneca, get out of him what could/probably will be his last good year ... get rid of max starks, Draft a first roudn OT, and wala

Draft pick
Faneca
Simmons or FA
Colon
M. Smith

then year after

Draft pick 08
Colon
i dont even know
Simmons
I dont even know

actually i dunno

get that big red neck, i mean head, outta here

paw-n-maul-u
01-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Point is ... we need O-line help.

Bad. and this is a realllllllllly crappy year for C's and G's ... really bad.

OT's are a must ... colon is obv. not a tackle, (the man could be a beast at guard)

and M. Smith is getting older, and in the last year of his contract or somethin coming up?

This OT class is too good to pass up on one in the first round, I have a very strong feeling that atleast, Long, Claddy, Otah, Baker will be gone by second ... for sure ... so we gotta snag em while they're hot

lilyoder6
01-17-2008, 04:43 PM
i think starks should get re-sign.. he was good and just needs to get back to his form...

SteelersJW
01-17-2008, 08:39 PM
We're just gonna piss him of if we frachise him. Faneca and the Steelers are unfortunately over: let him go and save some money.

83-Steelers-43
01-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Not sure if this was already posted.....

Accept it: Faneca is out the door
Saturday, January 12, 2008
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

There appear to be a number of misconceptions out there about the Pittsburgh sports teams, notably that the Pirates actually might win again in our lifetime with their new management team, that the Penguins are surging in spite of their knucklehead coach and that the Steelers still somehow will find a way to keep All-Pro guard Alan Faneca. It is that third fallacy that we will address this morning.

There's just no way.

No, the Steelers won't make Faneca their franchise player and keep him for one more season by paying him the average salary of the top five NFL guards, a figure that could be in the neighborhood of $8 million or $9 million. That's a very exclusive neighborhood. That's also why the Steelers generally don't believe in the franchise tag. It's a tool that's used to buy time to sign a would-be free agent to a long-term contract. The Steelers get the players whom they want at a better price without using it.

They clearly have no serious interest in keeping Faneca for the long haul despite coach Mike Tomlin's assertion this week. They proved that last spring when they -- according to Faneca -- lowballed him and offered a deal that wouldn't have ranked him among the league's top 10 highest-paid guards. Knowing that, the franchise tag would infuriate Faneca. He wouldn't just skip the offseason workouts. He would hold out in training camp. Tomlin doesn't need that headache starting his second season.

Beyond that, the Steelers' salary cap can't afford the enormous all-at-once hit that such a contract would provide. That sort of hit for a franchise quarterback is fine, not so much for a guard, no matter how terrific he is.

There's also no chance that Faneca will give the Steelers a hometown discount to stay. It's almost laughable when people say he might take less from the Steelers because he and his wife, Julie, love Pittsburgh so much and, admirably, are deeply involved in charity work here. If that's true, why do the Fanecas move back to Louisiana as soon as each season ends?

That isn't to suggest Faneca is doing anything wrong. He owes the Steelers nothing. He fulfilled his contract to the team and did it well, making his seventh consecutive Pro Bowl this season. Now, he has put himself in position to use the system to his benefit. More power to him. Football is a brutal game. His career could end on any play. He should go for every dollar he can, while he can.

Faneca was wrong last spring to expect free-agent money when he still had a year left on his contract. A player can't get truly big money until he hits free agency. Well, Faneca is there now. He gambled this season that his performance wouldn't slip and that he wouldn't be seriously injured. He won big on both fronts. Now, teams are expected to line up in a bidding war for him. The Steelers are wrong if they think he should take less to stay here. He shouldn't show them any more loyalty than they showed him last spring. Even Tomlin acknowledged: "Free agency is about dollars and cents. I've never seen it be about anything but dollars and cents."

Losing Faneca will be difficult for the Steelers. He was their only star player on what was a bad offensive line. Although he turned 31 Dec. 7, he showed no signs of slowing down or breaking down. His fifth All-Pro selection this season is testament to the former, the fact he hasn't missed a game since the 2001 season to the latter.

But the Steelers largely have been successful over the years determining when is the right time to part with one of their all-time greats. Just last year, they made the wise decision to release linebacker Joey Porter. James Harrison took over Porter's position and the team didn't miss a beat. Although it's fair to presume Faneca has considerably more left than Porter, the franchise will survive and move on without him. The franchise always survives.

The sooner you accept that Faneca is gone, the sooner you can start coming to terms with the fact that Michel Therrien is a pretty fair hockey coach and that the Pirates never will win as long as Bob Nutting is their owner.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08012/848753-87.stm

ShutDown24
01-17-2008, 10:10 PM
Franchising him is stupid in my opinion...

Rhee Rhee
01-17-2008, 11:18 PM
ugh briggs is crazy for wanting back into chicago... that place is gonna get worse and worse with urlacher's back condition getting worse and worse... asante won't care about anything except money... his team might go undefeated and he'll have won 2/3 superbowls...

revefsreleets
01-18-2008, 07:03 PM
You know, re-reading that Ron Cook article, I have to wonder if Cook was watching the same Faneca I saw playing week in and week out?

"He gambled this season that his performance wouldn't slip and that he wouldn't be seriously injured. He won big on both fronts."

Huh? What...er, ummmmmm. His performance slipped. DRAMATICALLY! Faneca is fading, and his slippage will get exponentially worse each year he is overpaid. The Steelers will wisely cut and run.

PalmerSteel
01-18-2008, 08:12 PM
i say we franchise him then let someone overpay him the following year. business is business and that is the best route to take for the steelers. we dont want him for the long term money so lets get 1 more good year out of him. if he holds out? screw him. see who offers a trade for him or just let him sit at home making nothing. business is business and the players play the money games the best they can as well.....

lilyoder6
01-18-2008, 08:35 PM
i would say that the possiblity of franchising him could be a win-win situation... we have him 1 more yr to play the line.. we could draft a line-man in the 1st like most ppl think and he can learn from faneca... if he does sit out.. we could trade his ass away for a very good draft pick...

paw-n-maul-u
01-18-2008, 09:14 PM
Honestly, I can't believe we AREN'T franchising him. It makes perfect sense.
Next year will could/probably will be his last "good" year, and I don;t even know how good that is.

But honestly in the shape that our O-line is in, we really, really, can't afford to lose him. I really don't think we can.

We have a bad O-line, but by no means the worst in the league. They just can't pass block that well.

Bring in a first round OT, that gives us time to groom him, adjust to him, then worry about guard or center next year.

Center is our big problem, and so is Willie Colon at RT. Move him inside to guard and I think he could be a beast, seriously, Ed Bouchette said it earlier, colon is too good not to have a spot on that line, and it's obvious, he took Starks spot. But he's built like a guard. Isn't fast enough for an OT, ... so put him at guard. But only NEXT year after we franchise faneca.

We don't have to spend every pick this year on the O-line, as long as we snag an OT in the first, I really feel we could be fine.

revefsreleets
01-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Are you guys serious? He'll hold out the whole of camp and eff up our whole OL. And he's playing on reputation now, anyway. Keeping him one more year means we get a great guy who has 60% left against some hungry guy who will give150%. Franchising Faneca is retarded, and it won't happen.

Here's what will happen. He'll sign a huge contract for some mid-tier team. They'll overpay him with some crazy 6-7 year contact. He'll retire in 2. He got richer and the team that was stupid gets burnt. BUT the Steelers are golden. By then they'll have a new stud RG and for 1/3rd the price.

lilyoder6
01-18-2008, 10:17 PM
i like ur thinking.... i guess all we have to do is wait and see

Aussie_steeler
01-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Honestly, I can't believe we AREN'T franchising him. It makes perfect sense.
Next year will could/probably will be his last "good" year, and I don;t even know how good that is.

But honestly in the shape that our O-line is in, we really, really, can't afford to lose him. I really don't think we can.

We have a bad O-line, but by no means the worst in the league. They just can't pass block that well.

Bring in a first round OT, that gives us time to groom him, adjust to him, then worry about guard or center next year.

Center is our big problem, and so is Willie Colon at RT. Move him inside to guard and I think he could be a beast, seriously, Ed Bouchette said it earlier, colon is too good not to have a spot on that line, and it's obvious, he took Starks spot. But he's built like a guard. Isn't fast enough for an OT, ... so put him at guard. But only NEXT year after we franchise faneca.

We don't have to spend every pick this year on the O-line, as long as we snag an OT in the first, I really feel we could be fine.

I have read in a few places (pro football weekly, I know, and some other forums) the suggestion of franchising Faneca purely to bring him back to play center for a year.

Use him to fill the hole at center until next years draft / free agent group whilst allowing some of the current guys to learn the ropes in the guard position with Faneca controlling the whole line.

It is a different line of thought. What kind of merit is there in that idea? (I have absolutely no idea how he would go at center.)

PalmerSteel
01-18-2008, 11:49 PM
Are you guys serious? He'll hold out the whole of camp and eff up our whole OL. And he's playing on reputation now, anyway. Keeping him one more year means we get a great guy who has 60% left against some hungry guy who will give150%. Franchising Faneca is retarded, and it won't happen.

why is it so retarded? what do we get if we dont franchise him? nothing. what do we get if we do franchise him? very reliable player with a chance of him not playing. so what do we do? we pick up a fa/early draft pick for his replacement and if he holds out we put in his place the person that would be in his place anyways if we didnt sign him for a year.
the guy isnt stupid. he knows he would be playing for a FAT contract for another team in 09 based on his 08 attitude/performance.

revefsreleets
01-19-2008, 08:07 PM
It's retarded. It effs up both parties. If the Steelers keep him, they'll get a camp holdout who doesn't want to be here making WAY more than he's worth anyway, and the Steelers line will suffer for it. From Faneca's standpoint, he gets paid only once,and he's looking for 10's of millions of dollars. He'll only recognize a couple years of his new contract because he's fading fast, but he wants to get while the getting is good. If he falls as far from 07 to 08 as he did 06 to 07, he may not be worth anything to anyone 08 to 09.

paw-n-maul-u
01-20-2008, 03:30 AM
If you have a personal beef w/ Ginger Boy then that's your own problem, but Big Red can still bully it with the best of them, and a BAD Faneca is sadly, still our BEST O-lineman.

Franchise him. At worst, some stupid team gives us awesome Draft picks.

Lance Briggs threw the biggest hissy fit in the world. But he, like A. Samuel in N.E., has no leverage, JUST like Faneca. If we want to franchise him then do it, and in the end, JUST LIKE BRIGGS AND SAMUEL, he would STFU.

And he would play, just like they did, and honestly, he would probably go BACK to the probowl ... just like they did.

How could he complain being paid as a top five guard (given hutchinsons and L. Davis contract, he sure won't be foodstamping it)?

I say the only way our O-line can survive next year is if we franchise him and draft a first round OT, and do some reshuffling, NOT revamping.

paw-n-maul-u
01-20-2008, 03:34 AM
It's retarded. It effs up both parties. If the Steelers keep him, they'll get a camp holdout who doesn't want to be here making WAY more than he's worth anyway, and the Steelers line will suffer for it. From Faneca's standpoint, he gets paid only once,and he's looking for 10's of millions of dollars. He'll only recognize a couple years of his new contract because he's fading fast, but he wants to get while the getting is good. If he falls as far from 07 to 08 as he did 06 to 07, he may not be worth anything to anyone 08 to 09.

I mean honestly, I feel like the probowl voting is bullshit. So I'm not going to make a big deal out of him going back there, AGAIN, for the n-th million time.

But I will say, NO slouch gets voted an AP-All pro on name. That's for sure. I wish we could cut that other fat ginger boy we signed to five years 17 mil, and give it all to faneca, and then some ... please franchise him. please.

LVSteelersfan
01-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Did you seriously watch the games closely? I don't know how many times I saw Faneca standing there with his hands on his hips watching Ben get sacked this past season. YOU PLAY THROUGH UNTIL THE WHISTLE BLOWS. Good riddance to someone who will suck whereever he ends up.

CNY Is Steeler Country
01-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Although his play last year wasn't his best, I'm sad to see him leave. Ever since I've been a serious Steeler fan I have loved to watch this guy play- and I can't even remember a game without him. He's a down to earth guy who has been one of the faces of the Steelers since I can remember. If this is the end of Faneca's tenure with us, I wish his all the best whevever he ends up!

PalmerSteel
01-21-2008, 09:41 AM
Did you seriously watch the games closely? I don't know how many times I saw Faneca standing there with his hands on his hips watching Ben get sacked this past season. YOU PLAY THROUGH UNTIL THE WHISTLE BLOWS. Good riddance to someone who will suck whereever he ends up.

lol. do you seriously think we could have some one NEXT YEAR that would be just as good as him or better to take his place? possibly the following year, but not next year.

revefsreleets
01-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Joe Thomas from the Browns played like a stud in his first year. Nick Mangold and D'Brickashaw Ferguson were both studs in their first year, and they both were picked by the same team. There are a lot of lineman who could come in right out of college and outperform Faneca now that his skills are eroding, and the money would be better spent on youth.

Hey, I like Alan. He was a Helluva player in his prime, and I want him to go get paid, but the operative word is "go".

HometownGal
01-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Joe Thomas from the Browns played like a stud in his first year. Nick Mangold and D'Brickashaw Ferguson were both studs in their first year, and they both were picked by the same team. There are a lot of lineman who could come in right out of college and outperform Faneca now that his skills are eroding, and the money would be better spent on youth.

Hey, I like Alan. He was a Helluva player in his prime, and I want him to go get paid, but the operative word is "go".

Right on the money, revs. :thumbsup:

revefsreleets
01-21-2008, 06:58 PM
I said it another thread, and it's worth repeating again here. If you are young or naive or just a little slow and don't understand the system, you should be happy as Hell that the Steelers do. Faneca is done in Pittsburgh. The Rooney's are right to let him go, and it's almost a guarantee that what they do in order to replace him will A) Make the OL better in the long run and B) Be cheaper.

Faneca will be retired and hopefully in line for the HOF about the time the current contract he signs expires (and it takes 5 years of retirement to be HOF eligible). Bank on it.

PalmerSteel
01-21-2008, 08:43 PM

wow, those are some pretty high draft picks. brick and thomas were top 5 overall picks so you can more than likely throw that type of quality we would get out the window. mangold was around where we will be picking but i think he is the exception, not the rule. plus he is center. much lower demand than left tackles. is the most critical offensive line position worth risking this on a rookie we will be drafting pretty LATE in the 1st round? imo, no. but maybe thats just me. i would feel much more comfortable having a guy we may slightly overpay for ONE year and give a rookie left tackle a little time learning the ropes than throwing him in their and wish our franchise QB's health can hold up while he "learns" the LT position in the nfl. imo, pretty scary thought on ben having a rookie protecting his backside after the beating he took this last season.

MDSteel15
01-21-2008, 11:19 PM
News from headquarters is that they are making every effort to keep Alan a Steeler until he retires....

Preacher
01-22-2008, 12:33 AM
News from headquarters is that they are making every effort to keep Alan a Steeler until he retires....

:rolleyes:

Can anyone show or tell me WHY we would want to keep him?

X-Terminator
01-22-2008, 12:48 AM

Right. :salute: I'll believe it when I see it.

Plus, Preacher is right - why WOULD they want to keep him? He's going to be 32 years old, for crying out loud - NOT a good age to be paying $6m-$7m a year for a lineman. What exactly in his play last season warrants them even thinking about keeping him? He all but called the Rooneys a bunch of cheapskates last spring on top of that. I know I wouldn't want him around after that.

I say let him walk, then rebuild the line. It isn't the end of the world if the guy leaves for greener pastures.

revefsreleets
01-22-2008, 09:44 AM
My guess is that he will be asking for as much as 9 mil a year, and he's going to want some ridiculously long contract, like 6 years or something, of which he may be able to play 3. When I hear that the Steelers are making their best offers, it's probably more like 6 mil for 3.

PalmerSteel
01-22-2008, 09:44 AM
:rolleyes:

Can anyone show or tell me WHY we would want to keep him?

OBVIOUSLY faneca is not what he once was but imo he is still in the top tier for left tackles for ONE MORE YEAR. i am not talking about long term. thats all we need. left tackles are paid a lot. But they have to think on their feet in a play just as much as a quarterback, and they have to be able to read defenses just as much as a running back. they are some of the highest paid athletes in the nfl. just a really scary chance to take imo to have a rookie protecting ben's blind spot because he "might be great" in his 1st year.

aclark99
01-22-2008, 04:06 PM
WHo wants to franchise a guy that basically stood around in the AFC WIld Card game. He isn't the same player that he was a year ago. This year he played not to get hurt. He was part of the reason for 47+ sacks this year on our franchise qb. Faneca will be the newest member of the Arizona Cardinals come March. It would not be a wise decision for us to franchise a guy is is definitely on the down side of his career. $8-$9 million is just way to much for a guard who contributed to the 47+ sacks given up by our o-line. HE'S GONE & GOOD-BYE ALAN!!!!!!:cheers:

Elvis
01-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Sounds like they will try to make efforts to keep him and I would like to see him stay a steeler but I think his mind is made up and we can't afford him so I would say he is good as gone.
:jammin: I Hope Your Right

Preacher
01-23-2008, 12:14 AM
OBVIOUSLY faneca is not what he once was but imo he is still in the top tier for left tackles for ONE MORE YEAR. i am not talking about long term. thats all we need. left tackles are paid a lot. But they have to think on their feet in a play just as much as a quarterback, and they have to be able to read defenses just as much as a running back. they are some of the highest paid athletes in the nfl. just a really scary chance to take imo to have a rookie protecting ben's blind spot because he "might be great" in his 1st year.

I am not sure if I agree with your thoughts about Faneca, but thanks for the well reasoned response.

If he would sign for two years at a decent amount, I would be fine with it. It would give us a little more breathing room for fixing the line. However, I do think he has slipped to being an average to a just above average player. Maybe I am a little too harsh, but right now, average is the best we have on our line as well.

Dino 6 Rings
01-23-2008, 12:44 PM
I am not sure if I agree with your thoughts about Faneca, but thanks for the well reasoned response.

If he would sign for two years at a decent amount, I would be fine with it. It would give us a little more breathing room for fixing the line. However, I do think he has slipped to being an average to a just above average player. Maybe I am a little too harsh, but right now, average is the best we have on our line as well.

You're not being too harsh, either his play slipped this year, or his focus was way off. That's for sure. He didn't help his cause in FA with his play this season. Guess he's hoping the endless pro-bowl selections earns him Huge money on the free market.