PDA

View Full Version : Hines comments on the Riverdance

Grey
10-24-2005, 12:37 PM
"I don't know how he did it," Ward said. "I tried to do the best I could, but I'm not a Riverdance guy."

Hehehe.

I'm not much for on the field celebrations, I like it when a guy goes back to the huddle and acts like he's made big plays before, but Hines absolutely cracks me up with the imitations. T.O.'s Eagle and now CJ's Riverdance ..... Hilarious.

Hines is one of the toughest competitors to ever put on shoulder pads, and he proved his worth again on Sunday. Injured his hip, but only went out for a couple of plays, then comes back in for a sideline catch and a TD reception.

NICE.

What a great game.

Here's to Hines Ward. :cheers:

Here we go.
Grey

Iron City Hangover
10-24-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm not sure what he stands to gain by mimicking a fellow loud mouth.

Is he aware this only leads to more games of "top this"?

Let me guess... there will be a cell phone hidden somewhere in the end zone in Heinz Field next Monday.

Childish.

BB2W
10-24-2005, 01:01 PM
I'm not sure what he stands to gain by mimicking a fellow loud mouth.

Is he aware this only leads to more games of "top this"?

Let me guess... there will be a cell phone hidden somewhere in the end zone in Heinz Field next Monday.

Childish.
He did that to make fun of Chad... he wasn't trying to do the dance better than him. he did it all goofy like "look at me i am an idiot" He was taunting Chad I am sure. I thought it was funny... like a look how stupid you look kinda thing. You could tell from his body language. :twocents:

Iron City Hangover
10-24-2005, 01:03 PM
He did that to make fun of Chad... he wasn't trying to do the dance better than him. he did it all goofy like "look at me i am an idiot" He was taunting Chad I am sure. I thought it was funny... like a look how stupid you look kinda thing. You could tell from his body language. :twocents:
Understood but whatever happened to handing the ball to the referee, returning to the sidelines and using the scoreboard as your "look at me I'm an idiot" response.

Koopa
10-24-2005, 01:05 PM
he said he has become good friends with cj so he did it, just the same way he did last season with what he said his good and sometimes off season workout buddy t.o., it's not like he goes out to disrespect them ward is just out there having fun nothing childish about that

Koopa
10-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Understood but whatever happened to handing the ball to the referee, returning to the sidelines and using the scoreboard as your "look at me I'm an idiot" response.

he's just trying to have fun, nothing wrong with that. it makes the game more fun to watch instead of being stiff old guys

BB2W
10-24-2005, 01:08 PM
I will admit that I am not a fan of the celebrations, and I thought Ward was better than that. I thought it was stupid when he did T.O.'s Eagle wings last season, but for some reason I find this one kinda funny.

rowedf
10-24-2005, 01:44 PM

There are a handful of players that do that anymore. I think people make way to big of a deal over "celebrating". Its fun, they are excited, let them show it.....as long as its not "over the top"

Iron City Hangover
10-24-2005, 02:36 PM
he said he has become good friends with cj so he did it, just the same way he did last season with what he said his good and sometimes off season workout buddy t.o., it's not like he goes out to disrespect them ward is just out there having fun nothing childish about that
Inside jokes on grand stages don't always come across right. Is CJ an idiot yes, but that doesn't mean you can act like an idiot in return because you're buddies and it's an inside joke.

Maybe there's something to be learned from Larry Fitzgerald or guys like him. Different strokes, different folks I guess.

Grey
10-24-2005, 02:38 PM
..... but for some reason I find this one kinda funny.

Exactly. :thumbsup:

Childish? Fair enough. He's always smiling like a kid at Christmas out there.

Although, in most cases, Iron CIty Hangover, I'd completely agree with you.

Here we go.
Grey

pitt
10-24-2005, 02:41 PM
I thought the dance was funny.

Iron City Hangover
10-24-2005, 02:42 PM
Exactly. :thumbsup:

Childish? Fair enough. He's always smiling like a kid at Christmas out there.

Although, in most cases, Iron CIty Hangover, I'd completely agree with you.

Here we go.
Grey
I'm in no way questioning the guy's character as I am making a statement about the overall level of sportsmanship in the league. We have quality guys doing ignorant things on the field. They need to worry about the F for football in the NFL and not the F for flair.

Steel - X
10-24-2005, 02:58 PM
Who won the game? Did Hines do a dance? Who cares. Let the overpaid athletes make a fool of themsleves if they wish. Why does this bother you so much Iron City. Do you go to sleep at night thinking "why the hell did hines do that dance? ugh"? Come on man find something to pass your time with man.

P.S. In your signature there what exactly is Tatum doing there?

Iron City Hangover
10-24-2005, 03:01 PM
Who won the game? Did Hines do a dance? Who cares. Let the overpaid athletes make a fool of themsleves if they wish. Why does this bother you so much Iron City. Do you go to sleep at night thinking "why the hell did hines do that dance? ugh"? Come on man find something to pass your time with man.

P.S. In your signature there what exactly is Tatum doing there?
Point 1: if that's your opinion so be it, I'll continue to have mine.

Point 2: Tatum is walking away from a player that he brutalized. Notice no dancing, taunting or spiking a ball nonsense.

Steel - X
10-24-2005, 03:17 PM
Oh yeah staring him down while the guy is hurt. Class Act. Kind of like Ray Lewis does

tony hipchest
10-24-2005, 03:21 PM

Point 2: Tatum is walking away from a player that he brutalized. Notice no dancing, taunting or spiking a ball nonsense.

yep. theres tatum in full stide. :grin:

what would be cool is if hines hid a hot dog and red squeezy ketchup bottle in the enzone. that way when he scored he could pull it out, "dress the dog" and hand it to someone in the crowd!
:rofl:

Iron City Hangover
10-24-2005, 03:25 PM
Oh yeah staring him down while the guy is hurt. Class Act. Kind of like Ray Lewis does
Hmmm, I don't see Tatum grabbing the guy's face mask after making a catch for a first down.

Tatum's job was to hit people period. People got hurt in the process.

Ward's job is to catch the ball or block period. Doing dances and taunting has nothing to do with either.

You're grasping for straws that don't exist. Getting knocked the f%ck out by Jack Tatum and getting your facemask pulled by Hines Ward are two very different things. Ray Lewis is and will never be what Jack Tatum was. Tatum didn't need to talk smack to instill fear into his opponents. Lewis never crippled anyone.

Cape Cod Steel Head
10-24-2005, 03:28 PM

No taunting? I'm sure he's asking him if he's okay

Iron City Hangover
10-24-2005, 03:33 PM
No taunting? I'm sure he's asking him if he's okay
And he's grabbing his face mask and dancing around! Oh what cursed villany!

Shame on you Jack Tatum! Shame, shame, shame!

I'm quite sure you know the difference between putting the hurt on someone via a hard tackle or a 18 yard first down since they are so comparable.

Steel - X
10-24-2005, 03:33 PM
Hmmm, I don't see Tatum grabbing the guy's face mask after making a catch for a first down.

Tatum's job was to hit people period. People got hurt in the process.

Ward's job is to catch the ball or block period. Doing dances and taunting has nothing to do with either.

You're grasping for straws that don't exist. Getting knocked the f%ck out by Jack Tatum and getting your facemask pulled by Hines Ward are two very different things. Ray Lewis is and will never be what Jack Tatum was. Tatum didn't need to talk smack to instill fear into his opponents. Lewis never crippled anyone.

What do your comments have to do with the comments i posted?

I posted "Oh yeah staring him down while the guy is hurt."

You posted above. Who said anything about grabbing someones face mask?

Iron City Hangover
10-24-2005, 03:37 PM
What do your comments have to do with the comments i posted?

I posted "Oh yeah staring him down while the guy is hurt."

You posted above. Who said anything about grabbing someones face mask?
Welcome back! Let me help steer you in the right direction for this conversation.

Your reference was to the sportsmanship "class" and "implied" taunting of Jack Tatum.

My reference in response was to the "class" and clear taunting of Hines Ward, what this thread was about in the first place before you looked for another party to blame since Hines was clearly fingered in this thread.

Further directions can be located at www.mapquest.com

clevestinks
10-24-2005, 04:31 PM
It was classic , something I will never forget. LOL

melroseplace
10-24-2005, 11:23 PM
he was having some fun, I thought it was hilarious :) love that guy

Iron City Hangover
10-24-2005, 11:34 PM
he was having some fun, I thought it was hilarious :) love that guy
To each his own.

clevestinks
10-25-2005, 05:34 AM
My sister would pay to get that on video.

Iron City Hangover
10-25-2005, 08:34 AM
My sister would pay to get that on video.
I bet she would.

http://tinypic.com/f015x5.jpg

HeroDecks
10-25-2005, 09:01 AM
What are you guys talking about. Who are Steeler's fans to talk about "class" & "sportsmanship"? When was the last time Pittsburgh has shown either?

I think a lot of the players on your team are good guys, but on the field the team is out of control. (Not a bad thing, I'm all for smash-mouth football) Just don't act like you're the Patriots - when you are THE dirtiest teams in the league.

Suitanim
10-25-2005, 09:11 AM
It's one thing to score a TD, and, like a jackass then launch into retarded antics ala Moss, TO, Johnson, etc, etc...

It's another thing entirely to score a TD and MOCK the retarded antics of jackasses by mimicking their idiocy. That's funny and relevant and bitingly sarcastic. It was especially poignant Sunday because that punk Chad's TD was erased, so he essentailly acted like a buffoon for nothing.

When Ward is playing receivers who DON'T act like idiots, he usually just gets excited and spikes the ball.

Iron City Hangover
10-25-2005, 09:31 AM
When Ward is playing receivers who DON'T act like idiots, he usually just gets excited and spikes the ball.
Ward's antics for the last 2 to 3 years have been idiotic even when playing lesser apt receivers. Just play the game, you're a quality receiver. Set an example.

rowedf
10-25-2005, 10:59 AM
I'd love to see how he's "idiotic" ....examples would be great bro. Oh wait, is it because he plasters people blocking?? Or is it because he smiles everytime he lays a corner, safety, and even LB's out? The guy has always been a class act.....he gets trashed by the softies who think he's tryin to be a hardass when he plays when in reality, he's just playing the game the way its supposed to be.

Grey
10-25-2005, 11:12 AM
I'd love to see how he's "idiotic" ....examples would be great bro. Oh wait, is it because he plasters people blocking?? Or is it because he smiles everytime he lays a corner, safety, and even LB's out? The guy has always been a class act.....he gets trashed by the softies who think he's tryin to be a hardass when he plays when in reality, he's just playing the game the way its supposed to be.

Nice.

Anything, Hangover?

Here we go.
Grey

Livinginthe past
10-25-2005, 11:17 AM
Hines Ward is class - the way the majority of fans and team-mates stuck with him through the pre-season wage negotiation/hold out fiasco shows what high regard he is held in - he also had the backing of alot of fans from other franchises.

Everytime Hines steps on the field he is putting his body on the line for the black and gold of Pittsburgh - I have nothing but admiration for the guy.

He deserved that penalty for taunting on sunday - but give me a guy who gets a little too pumped during the game over the laid back 'who gives a damn' type guy everytime (*see Ty Poole).

Off the top of my head I can think of two receivers id like to have in New England - Torry Holt and Hines Ward.

Cheers

NM

Iron City Hangover
10-25-2005, 11:31 AM
Settle down Beavis.

I never questioned his ability to throw a crushing block (that he does well) or come up with a spectacular catch. What I did question is his attitude after these flashes of brillance on the field.

You want an example:

Hines makes a great catch for an 18 yard gain against the Bengals on a crucial third down for a drive to solidify your lead. After the play, he gets flagged for an obvious unsportsmanslike conduct penalty. You make the catch, you shut your mouth. You are jeopardizing your team's ability to put another team away but giving up 15 yards for running your mouth, grabbing a player's facemask while on the ground or spiking the ball on the field of play (which also is capable of being flagged for delay of game if the ball is not returned to a referee). He turned an 18 yard play into a measly 3 yard gain by taunting.

Hines doesn't need the taunting to prove that he is an elite WR. Playing the game the way it's supposed to be is moving the ball for positive yardage. An 18 yard gain is right as rain better than a 3 yard gain.

I'm sorry you don't see it that way, son.

Iron City Hangover
10-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Nice.

Anything, Hangover?

Here we go.
Grey
:coffee:

Enjoying the sidelines?

Iron City Hangover
10-25-2005, 11:35 AM
Hines Ward is class - the way the majority of fans and team-mates stuck with him through the pre-season wage negotiation/hold out fiasco shows what high regard he is held in - he also had the backing of alot of fans from other franchises.

Everytime Hines steps on the field he is putting his body on the line for the black and gold of Pittsburgh - I have nothing but admiration for the guy.

He deserved that penalty for taunting on sunday - but give me a guy who gets a little too pumped during the game over the laid back 'who gives a damn' type guy everytime (*see Ty Poole).

Off the top of my head I can think of two receivers id like to have in New England - Torry Holt and Hines Ward.

Cheers

NM

Well said. He is a great player. Just keep yourself in check during crucial games, you can go crazy without the flags.

ironcitychef
10-25-2005, 11:46 AM
Imitation is the sincerest form of a compliment...

Not only does Hines do it to those he plays against, but if you watched the Philly game, now other player like to do the "any endzone dance you do I can do better" routine as well...

SteelR1
10-25-2005, 11:54 AM
First off, Iron city, I respect your opinions. Here's mine.

I dont see too many issues with the celebrations.. A riverdance-it's funny. An eagle dance-it's funny. Mocking of the dances-it's funny. A cell phone or sharpie, funny but I dont think you should use props. In a world where nothing is impossible, they could cause injury to a player. Standing on the oponents logo at the 50 yard line is rediculious.!!

As long as the celebrations are kept to a timely manner and no props are used, it adds a little excitement to the game. A little bit of, what's he gonna do if he gets another one, kind of excitement.

Livinginthe past
10-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Well said. He is a great player. Just keep yourself in check during crucial games, you can go crazy without the flags.

I am not exactly an authority on sporting psychology - but to play the kind of physical game Hines Ward plays (one where he is either getting creamed or laying the hit on someone else) means that he has to be super-pumped.

I cant think how you could submit your body to that sort of pounding week-in week-out without having to borrow a little from the 'adrenaline bank' - these things go hand in hand and are very untypical of what your average receiver is expected to do for his team.

Hines Ward without the 'in your face attitude' is not Hines Ward at all.

NM

Iron City Hangover
10-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Standing on the oponents logo at the 50 yard line is rediculious.!!

Excellent point! TO should have been fined, after a mandatory psychological examination. Celebration dances are one thing. Pure mockery with intent to disgrace is another (the TO / Dallas event).

Iron City Hangover
10-25-2005, 11:57 AM
I am not exactly an authority on sporting psychology - but to play the kind of physical game Hines Ward plays (one where he is either getting creamed or laying the hit on someone else) means that he has to be super-pumped.

I cant think how you could submit your body to that sort of pounding week-in week-out without having to borrow a little from the 'adrenaline bank' - these things go hand in hand and are very untypical of what your average receiver is expected to do for his team.

Hines Ward without the 'in your face attitude' is not Hines Ward at all.

NM
You can have attitude without the flag.

(Jack Tatum ;) )

ironcitychef
10-25-2005, 11:57 AM
I actually thought Hines punching his injuried hip after scoring would be just as good as Rod Woodson rolling up his pant leg and pointing to his knee on the first play of the Super Bowl. Nothing would show Hines toughness more.

rowedf
10-25-2005, 01:01 PM
Settle down Beavis.

I never questioned his ability to throw a crushing block (that he does well) or come up with a spectacular catch. What I did question is his attitude after these flashes of brillance on the field.

You want an example:

Hines makes a great catch for an 18 yard gain against the Bengals on a crucial third down for a drive to solidify your lead. After the play, he gets flagged for an obvious unsportsmanslike conduct penalty. You make the catch, you shut your mouth. You are jeopardizing your team's ability to put another team away but giving up 15 yards for running your mouth, grabbing a player's facemask while on the ground or spiking the ball on the field of play (which also is capable of being flagged for delay of game if the ball is not returned to a referee). He turned an 18 yard play into a measly 3 yard gain by taunting.

Hines doesn't need the taunting to prove that he is an elite WR. Playing the game the way it's supposed to be is moving the ball for positive yardage. An 18 yard gain is right as rain better than a 3 yard gain.

I'm sorry you don't see it that way, son.

I guess I should address this to.... dad, :rolleyes:

Your post that I originally replied to said for the last 2-3 years and about being idiotic, then you sited last weeks game as your examples? He is a VERY emotional player and he went a little over board last Sunday. My beef with your post was you stating for the last couple years he's been acting like an idiot, that is just not true.

Iron City Hangover
10-25-2005, 01:22 PM
I guess I should address this to.... dad, :rolleyes:

Your post that I originally replied to said for the last 2-3 years and about being idiotic, then you sited last weeks game as your examples? He is a VERY emotional player and he went a little over board last Sunday. My beef with your post was you stating for the last couple years he's been acting like an idiot, that is just not true.
Maybe my 2 - 3 years was an underestimate. You wanted more?

He got flagged for two late hits on defensive players in the same game against Cleveland (11-11-01). The late hits were an emotional response to a heated game that he couldn't keep his head in. The flag happened in the second quarter with the Steelers trying to drive for a score before halftime.

He got flagged for taunting Rod Woodson after a catch that negated a first down on a drive in the fourth quarter against division rival Baltimore Ravens (12-16-01). Ward and Woodson had been exchanging hits all game and Ward lost his cool during an important drive.

He got flagged for spiking the ball ON a Seattle defender after a TD reception against Seattle (11-2-03). The penalty gave Seattle good field position in another close game that was decided only by a touchdown.

Please.

The guy is a great receiver and he's goofed up plenty also.

Moving on.

Iron City Hangover
10-25-2005, 03:34 PM
I actually thought Hines punching his injuried hip after scoring would be just as good as Rod Woodson rolling up his pant leg and pointing to his knee on the first play of the Super Bowl. Nothing would show Hines toughness more.
Too bad Rod couldn't stop Neil O'Donnell from throwing those INT's.

Cape Cod Steel Head
10-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Too bad Rod couldn't stop Neil O'Donnell from throwing those INT's.
Too bad Jack went for the receiver and not the ball. Greatest play ever!

AvoidLLoyd95
10-25-2005, 07:35 PM
Ouch!!! :grin:

Iron City Hangover
10-25-2005, 09:03 PM
That's a bit of a stretch. I'd credit the Music City Miracle as a better play. At least that was more of a display of skill than luck. But you're steel-heads so that won't sink in.

Iron City Hangover
10-25-2005, 09:05 PM
Maybe my 2 - 3 years was an underestimate. You wanted more?

He got flagged for two late hits on defensive players in the same game against Cleveland (11-11-01). The late hits were an emotional response to a heated game that he couldn't keep his head in. The flag happened in the second quarter with the Steelers trying to drive for a score before halftime.

He got flagged for taunting Rod Woodson after a catch that negated a first down on a drive in the fourth quarter against division rival Baltimore Ravens (12-16-01). Ward and Woodson had been exchanging hits all game and Ward lost his cool during an important drive.

He got flagged for spiking the ball ON a Seattle defender after a TD reception against Seattle (11-2-03). The penalty gave Seattle good field position in another close game that was decided only by a touchdown.

Please.

The guy is a great receiver and he's goofed up plenty also.

Moving on.

So where's the combative response? Oh, I guess I was right after all. Oh well! :bouncy:

steelrzgirl
10-25-2005, 10:45 PM
I dont think it was childish at all. I think its hilarious to see the prima donnas of the league to get mocked.

Hines is a class act. To insinuate otherwise is crap.

Koopa
10-25-2005, 10:47 PM
i think the ppl that are complaining about players celebrating need to lighten up, it's a game they are having fun, let them enjoy themselves and entertain us, and keep us wondering what are they gonna do next.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-25-2005, 10:58 PM

Damn I remember so vividly !! He defensed that pass to irvin and just pointed to it and shook his head !!! F'n classic man !!!

SteelerFanInATL
10-29-2005, 07:55 AM

He does that for the most part, but when he gets a chance he has fun with it. T.O. lives here in Atlanta as does H.W. in the offseason, so I am sure they see and talk to each other during the offseason, and I read online that he and C.J. are good friends. C.J. told Hines that he needs a little work with the dance. Its all in good fun. :smile:

BengalBrian
10-29-2005, 01:58 PM
Its funny how when Chad does it, you all say its childish, but when Ward does it, some of you say its just in fun..

At least some of you are consistent though

ironcitychef
10-30-2005, 02:17 AM
I think the difference is Ward doesn't spend time during the week creating something to do on Sunday/Monday. Some players now go into such routines its no wonder Coughlin wants them there 15 minutes early. I think some of the dances are done cause players actually think they might never see the endzone again.

Prosdo
10-30-2005, 04:42 PM
I think the difference is Ward doesn't spend time during the week creating something to do on Sunday/Monday. Some players now go into such routines its no wonder Coughlin wants them there 15 minutes early. I think some of the dances are done cause players actually think they might never see the endzone again.

I have to agree. Some of these guys make up dances for every game. I think with Hines it was just him poking fun at it. He really doesn't do stuff like that any other time.

steelrzgirl
10-31-2005, 12:39 AM
Its funny how when Chad does it, you all say its childish, but when Ward does it, some of you say its just in fun..

At least some of you are consistent though
Its funny how you cant tell the dance between a showboat and a showboat being mocked.

steelersgirl86
10-31-2005, 11:09 AM
I will never forget the Hines Ward Riverdance...that was awesome....we were all rolling...the best part of the game...