PDA

View Full Version : What can Steelers fans tell Chiefs fans about Chan Gailey?

GoChiefs
01-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Gailey is rumored to be KC's new offensive coordinator hire. I know he coordinated your offense in 1996 and 1997, and those were Jerome Bettis' two best years. Is he a running game guru? What are Steelers fans opinions on Gailey? Thanks!

Jeremy
01-16-2008, 01:35 PM
He's a Sunday school teacher.

Dylan
01-16-2008, 01:56 PM
From what i read in JB's book Chan Gailey trusted him unlike many of the other OC's. He is a trustworthy guy

Steelerfreak58
01-16-2008, 02:00 PM
Nothing bad to report on him really except he bugged out after a very short time with us.

Jeremy
01-16-2008, 02:03 PM
OK......I'll be serious now.

Chan is a running game guru. He had some good ones here in Pittsburgh and had some really good ones down in Atlanta for GT.

He'll probably be against running LJ 35 times a game.

fansince'76
01-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Nothing bad to report on him really except he bugged out after a very short time with us.

Agreed - nothing bad to say about him, but nothing great either. He had no choice but to ride the Bus into the ground when he was here, because Tomczak and Stewart sucked. Also, it's worth noting that Cowher personally recommended him to the Rooneys to replace him as our HC last offseason, but they went with Tomlin instead.

Jeremy
01-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Also, it's worth noting that Cowher personally recommended him to the Rooneys to replace him as our HC last offseason, but they went with Tomlin instead.

Which was smart. College head coaches, even ones with NFL experience, usually struggle in the NFL as head coaches.

BlastFurnace
01-16-2008, 02:16 PM
I really liked him and hated to see him leave.

He would be a great addition to your coaching staff. If only you could get rid of Herm Edwards. The Chiefs will never go anywhere with him at the top.

Atlanta Dan
01-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Which was smart. College head coaches, even ones with NFL experience, usually struggle in the NFL as head coaches.

Not to mention college coaches who struggled as college HCs - Georgia Tech alums were glad to see him go

Gailey was a perpetual 7 win a season coach with Georgia Tech, usually winning 1 game a year he should not have won (he won at VA Tech in 2006 & beat Miami when that used to mean something) and losing at least 1 game a year he should have won (he lost to Duke one year:jawdrop:).

His bland personality and inability to motivate should not not be as big a problem as a coordinator as it was as Georgia Tech, although he wasted the talents of Calvin Johnson at WR by never being able to develop QB Reggie Ball or anyone else to throw the ball to Johnson

Stlrs4Life
01-16-2008, 03:47 PM
I liked Chan. I thought he did a good job while he was here.

The Duke
01-16-2008, 04:29 PM
if they do hire him LJ might bounce back to the force he was in 2006

like you said, look a bettis best years, LJ will be back

lilyoder6
01-16-2008, 10:00 PM
lj was a baby this yr.. holding out of camp and pre-season to get his big contract.. and then when he did he barely played the first couple of games b/c he wasn't rdy and then he "INJURED" his foot and said he would be back... out for the whole yr.. basically they paid him a huge amount of money this yr for nothing... i thinks it's funny... but if he wants to run like he did in the past the cheifs better get lineman who can block,...

Rhee Rhee
01-16-2008, 11:44 PM
chan gailey does good with what he has... with LJ and dwayne bowe u have ur offensive weapons...u should look at O-lINe and QB in the draft and hopefully ur defense can shore up... btw let derrick johnson loose... let him play! he is by far the most talented playeron ur team!

Galax Steeler
01-17-2008, 03:52 AM
I liked Chan. I thought he did a good job while he was here.

Agreed he just didn't stay long enough.

revefsreleets
01-17-2008, 09:39 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Gailey's offense is insanely complicated, so don't expect first year miracles.

Hines0wnz
01-18-2008, 03:05 PM
if they do hire him LJ might bounce back to the force he was in 2006

like you said, look a bettis best years, LJ will be back

Kind of tough to have a great year when you are on IR dont you think? :wink02:

Steelthe#1dynasty
01-18-2008, 05:14 PM
I personally was not fond of Chan's play calling. I thought he ran a grab @ss offense in Pit. Meaning, an offensive game plan is sort of like a chess match. Those that call the correct plays during the heat of the battle often come out on top. For example, another culprit of the grab @ss offense is Bruce Arians. 3rd & 6 anyone??? Furthermore, a "no philosophy offense" is better than an offense that has an identity. Why? Predictability. Why did we loose so many AFCC at home under Cowher. You got it, predictability. Grab @ss offenses are typically one dimensional and lack a strategic attack. In other words, if you are a HC or OC, you do what it takes to win the game. If your quarterback has to throw a five yard pass 20 times to win, so be it. In sum, Chan lacks the ability to execute the proper "strategy."

revefsreleets
01-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Another Country heard from. The anti-Arians rallying cry will (wrongly) be "3rd and 6, not again!".

The problem is, for the 16 zillionth time, is that the 3rd and 6 call was not only Arians, but Ben and Tomlin's call. They had that call in their pocket all week. Jax had the defense they wanted to run the play against lined up. All the stars were aligned for it to work, then Trai Essex (and he admitted as much after the game) became confused, missed his assignment, and the play was snuffed out. Newsflash! One missed assignment is enough to blow up a play in the NFL.

Atlanta Dan
01-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Another Country heard from. The anti-Arians rallying cry will (wrongly) be "3rd and 6, not again!".

The problem is, for the 16 zillionth time, is that the 3rd and 6 call was not only Arians, but Ben and Tomlin's call. They had that call in their pocket all week. Jax had the defense they wanted to run the play against lined up. All the stars were aligned for it to work, then Trai Essex (and he admitted as much after the game) became confused, missed his assignment, and the play was snuffed out. Newsflash! One missed assignment is enough to blow up a play in the NFL.

All rivers flow to the sea and most threads ultimately flow to the eternally flaming issue of whether Arians should live or die:sofunny:

revefsreleets
01-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Arians hoisting a Lombardi is the only cure...I just hope he does it while he's wearing Black and Gold.