PDA

View Full Version : NFL returning to UK

sherlock
01-17-2008, 02:04 PM
This has just been announced......

http://www.nfluk.com/news-display.php?id=2867

NFL returning to UK

The National Football League is coming back across the pond. After playing a highly-successful game in London last October, the NFL announced today it will return to the United Kingdom for a competitive game in 2008 as part of the league?s International Series of regular-season games.

?The game in London was undoubtedly one of the highlights of the entire 2007 season,? said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. ?The fan interest was tremendous. The passion they demonstrated for our sport that day continued throughout the season, as television viewership in the UK has grown by 40 percent since the game.

?We had an overwhelmingly positive response to the event from all involved ? the teams, our sponsors and business partners and of course the fans themselves. We look forward to another spectacular event in 2008.?

Details about the game ? including the venue and competing teams ? are expected to be confirmed during Super Bowl week (January 28-February 3) in Arizona.

The game at Wembley Stadium on October 28, when the Miami Dolphins hosted the New York Giants, was the first-ever regular season NFL game to be played outside North America. A crowd of 81,176 saw the Giants record a 13-10 victory after the NFL received requests for more than half a million tickets within 72 hours of announcing the game.

In 2006, NFL owners approved a plan to stage a limited number of regular-season games outside the United States every year for the next five years.

NFL UK Managing Director Alistair Kirkwood said: ?In the build up to the Wembley game last October I said that it was an audition for future games. Clearly, the fans ? with their passion and enthusiasm ? have convinced the NFL that the UK should be rewarded with another game in 2008.

?We are very excited as we begin preparations for that game and conclude this historic season next month with BBC TV showing its first-ever Super Bowl and Sky Sports continuing its long-standing relationship with the NFL by airing the game for the 13th straight year.?

Counselor
01-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Ya know, although I'd hate for the Steelers to lose a home game, I would be really excited if they got to play in the UK next year.

I liked the way the league scheduled the bye week for both teams right after. I mean, how cool would it be to have the Steelers/Cowboys? ---Talk about old school---- or better yet Steelers/Patriots ---then we don't lose a home game.

sherlock
01-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Ya know, although I'd hate for the Steelers to lose a home game, I would be really excited if they got to play in the UK next year.

I liked the way the league scheduled the bye week for both teams right after. I mean, how cool would it be to have the Steelers/Cowboys? ---Talk about old school---- or better yet Steelers/Patriots ---then we don't lose a home game.

Yeah, a Steelers away game would be perfect.

jjpro11
01-17-2008, 04:28 PM

no way.. steelers-cowboys is a classic matchup that rarely happens. gotta keep that one here and put it on national tv. what bugs me about the UK game this year is that nobody got to see it because it was on during all the other games at 1:00.

lilyoder6
01-17-2008, 04:31 PM
it should be like a thursday night game if the nfl could the nfl network in evry home or have it on a sat so ppl can see the game..

MACH1
01-17-2008, 05:51 PM
If it was a steeler game I bet I know someone that would have a chapped a$$ about it. :sofunny:

Anyways I hope that it isnt.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Yeah right Counselor, the NFL take away a Patriots home game? It ain't going to happen.

Steeler in Carolina
01-17-2008, 07:01 PM
I would like to see the NFL add one more game and make it a 17 game season. Then, the extra game for each team would be a neutral site game.

steelers2685
01-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Steelers are scheduled to play the Cowboys next season actually. I'm thinking its going to be a set of westcoast teams though next time around. Just a hunch.

The game was on Fox 53 around here and I flipped back and forth to check in on it. I would like to attend one some day. I have been to London before and wanted to attend the Liverpool soccer finals back in 05 but had to return to the states on the day they won the championship, ugh.

SteelCityMan786
01-17-2008, 08:36 PM
Yeah right Counselor, the NFL take away a Patriots home game? It ain't going to happen.

Particularly the game against us

nojobny
01-18-2008, 12:09 AM
OMG.. if we get a game in London I'm there in a heartbeat! I was just there last week.

Rhee Rhee
01-18-2008, 04:41 AM
I would like to see the NFL add one more game and make it a 17 game season. Then, the extra game for each team would be a neutral site game.

id love to have a couple NFL games in hawaii everywhere... the probowl is great and all but the players dont take it seriously enough for it to warrant a actual game feeling

Counselor
01-18-2008, 02:57 PM

Hey I didn't say it would happen---but I still like the idea!

OneForTheToe
01-18-2008, 03:56 PM
I could see the Rooney’s volenteering to play a home game in London. They have always been “league people.” I don't like the idea, but if every team has to take their turn then so be it.

sherlock
01-19-2008, 12:16 AM
I could see the Rooney?s volenteering to play a home game in London. They have always been ?league people.? I don't like the idea, but if every team has to take their turn then so be it.

That`s a good idea...I just hope the Steelers aren`t last on the list.

Steeler in Carolina said...
"I would like to see the NFL add one more game and make it a 17 game season. Then, the extra game for each team would be a neutral site game"

That`s another great idea as fans would actually get more football and people in the UK wouldn`t feel guilty about taking a teams home game.
Could not the neutral games be played in American cities that don`t have a football team?

RoethlisBURGHer
01-19-2008, 08:52 AM
That`s another great idea as fans would actually get more football and people in the UK wouldn`t feel guilty about taking a teams home game.
Could not the neutral games be played in American cities that don`t have a football team?

That would be a good idea, and a much better way of gauging if a city would be a good place for a pro football team. It's better than the "lets make a guess" policy the league has going on right now.

Stlrs4Life
01-19-2008, 11:38 AM

Not me, but if they are the away team, it is just fine.