PDA

View Full Version : DISH Network

HometownGal
01-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Did you ever have a day where you felt like jumping off the nearest bridge? Well, I've had one of those today. :banging:

I subscribed to DISH Network last May and have had nothing but trouble with it since almost day one. I'm not going to go into all of the gory details as it would eat up Mike's bandwidth, but suffice it to say that I wish I had never switched over from Comcast, though I do get more channels (NFL Network, too!) than I had before and it is about $25.00 per month cheaper.

Around 12:30 this afternoon, the DISH went out again. This is about the 20th time since I had the dish installed that this has happened. I waited 20 minutes and I was still getting the same error message that it was trying to acquire a signal. I finally called DISH and went through all of the troubleshooting with the automated message. Nothing worked. I finally was switched to Tech Support and the guy I got really tried to help. We checked everything possible, including trying to reset the receiver again and doing a full system check and nothing worked. I was so frustrated. He told me that he would have to put me in for a service call and then proceeded to tell me that I couldn't get a serviceman out here until next Wednesday!!! I flipped and told this guy that was totally unacceptable. He told me that they were booked solid in this area and unfortunately I would have to wait. I totally went off and told him about all of the problems I've experienced with DISH from day one. He was very sympathetic and then started into his schpiel about the fees I would have to pay if the equipment needed to correct the problem went over $59.00 and I stopped him dead in his tracks. I told him I wasn't going to pay them one red cent, as I just had a serviceman over here 2 months ago to fix what the asstard who installed it screwed up by putting in a cable from the house to the DISH that was much too small. He said because it hadn't been 90 days yet, that the $29.00 service fee would be waived but I'd still have to pay for any equipment over $59.00. OMG I just went postal on him and told him again that I wouldn't pay one damned dime to them, as I was the one being inconvenienced here for an entire week, not to mention an NFL playoff weekend!!! I told him I was going to file a complaint with the BBB and he said he didn't blame me one bit for feeling the way I do, but that he was just doing his job, which I understood. When I got off the phone, I tried again resetting the receiver and it brought the DISH back from Channels 84 through 4096 (many of which I never got to begin with) but nothing below Channel 83 (local channels). I again called DISH and got an Indian woman who walked me through the same shit the other guy did (even though I told her this in advance) and she said there has to be a problem with the DISH or the wiring coming from the house. At least I got some channels back but damn am I pissed!!! :mad::mad:

Has anyone else had problems with DISH Network? Any suggestions other than filing a complaint with the BBB? Any insight would be most appreciated!

fansince'76
01-17-2008, 04:11 PM
My father has DISH, and really has never had a problem with it. I would complain to the BBB as well, but I would also file a complaint with the FCC http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html and register and post a complaint at Rip-Off Report as well: http://www.ripoffreport.com/.

Borski
01-17-2008, 04:12 PM
My family had had problems with both DiSH and DirecTV satilite providers and once we finally went back to cable 90% of the problems went away.

The problem is the slightest bit of weather will disrupt the signal alot, cable doesnt have these problems. our satilite signal went out for 20 minutes to an hour, 2 - 3 times a week. that is not worth the problem.

GBMelBlount
01-17-2008, 04:31 PM
We had Dish for years and were very displeased. We have had problems with comcast phone service but we have had far fewer problems with Comcast Cable than we had with Dish. I am considering a switch to DirectTV (or Fios when available).

MACH1
01-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Sorry about that HTG....Thats one of the reasons I have directv besides sunday ticket. Dish has really bad customer service compared to dtv. My parents had dish for about the grand total of four months before they told them to shove it and switched to dtv and haven't had any problems so far.

I know, I know some of you hate dtv but thats been my experience with them.

PisnNapalm
01-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Ouch.... I've looked into both satellite providers but never switched from Comcast. I feel your pain though. These are gonna be some great games. Head to a friend's house or a bar.

I hope you get some satisfaction soon.

Mosca
01-17-2008, 07:14 PM
We've had DirecTV for almost 10 years, and we've had maybe 3 or 4 weather outages in that time. Otherwise the service has been flawless.

X-Terminator
01-18-2008, 04:46 AM
My Mom had DISH for several years, and other than the occasional weather outage, she rarely had a problem with it. That might have been the case here - it was snowing at the time it went out. I'd also go out and check the dish to make sure there's no snow/ice on it - I remember one time after a snowstorm that my Mom's service went out, and after I got the snow off the dish, everything came back. If it doesn't work, then there's obviously something else wrong. In any case, I'd still file the complaint with the BBB because of all of the other problems, from the screwed-up initial installation to the horrible customer service. And if DISH still doesn't fix the problem, I'd get on the phone with DirecTV the next day.

HometownGal
01-18-2008, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the great advice and suggestions everyone! I did go out to see if there was something blocking the dish and there wasn't. We had some light snow flurries yesterday but no high winds or anything which would have caused the dish to go off kilter.

NC - I did get some channels back and most of them were channels I don't have, but all of my local channels are gone, i.e. CBS, ABC, NBC. I won't be able to watch the games here on Sunday and will have to go elsewhere to watch 'em which really torques me off. Unfortunately, I am locked into an 18 month contract and from what they told me yesterday, I have 10 months to go on it. :dang::dang:

I filed a complaint with the BBB yesterday and plan to contact the other agencies that Gary gave me the links for above. (Thank you Gary!) :cheers: They contact the company within 2 days but the BBB has 14 days in which to respond - long after the serviceman will be here. I found a website yesterday - can't remember which one - where there are tons of adverse comments regarding DISH Network.

Thanks again! :hug:

revefsreleets
01-18-2008, 06:21 PM
I am about 10 days away from AT&T U-verse. All the benefits of cable (free tech calls, no weather outages) and all the benefits of dish (all digital, cheaper, more channels) and I'm getting my high speed internet included for about $30 a month less than I'm paying now for TWC.

w00t!

If it's available, Marianne, I highly recommend making the switch.