PDA

View Full Version : Steelers '06 draft

TasmanianTroy271
10-24-2005, 02:53 PM
OK, so we're almost halfway through the season, and our strengths and weaknesses have been shown, barring any career ending injuries. Here's what we're looking at for our 2006 draft

QB - Big Ben's gonna be the starter. Hopefully Batch will stay backup. Hopefully Rod Rutherford can stay on the PS and maybe pass Batch in a few years. Hopefully Tommy Maddox will be found in a ditch somewhere.

RB - Willie Parker has definately stepped up this year, and could be a feature back for the Steelers in years to come, but for everyone that says that, there's someone that says Willie is not the kind of back that will flourish with the Steelers. With Bettis wanting a very limited role and possibly retiring, Duce Staley not playing and taking a major chunk of salary money, and Verron Haynes not exactly tearing up the field, there's a fairly good chance a back will be drafted somewhere in this draft. Noah Herron is waiting in the wings, though, and with +10-20 pounds, he could be the solution to the Steelers problem. Expect a RB to possibly be taken somewhere around the 2-5th rounds.

FB - I am a huge fan of Dan Krieder. Anytime he gets the ball, it brings a huge smile to my face, but if he goes down, that means we have one of our RB's come in at FB. Verron Haynes is capable, but I'd like someone who can specialize in it. A FB might be possibly taken in the later rounds, or as an Undrafted rookie.

WR - We didnt give Hines Ward the biggest contract in Steelers History for nothing. Randle El, Cedric, and Quincy are all year 5 vets, and Nate Washington is looking to be an Undrafted steal.

OL - Our Offensive Line is one of the best in the business, but what about in 3 years? My main worry is our Center, Jeff Hartings. He's not dominating like he was last year and he's not getting any younger. In the NE game, Seymour was running all over him. Not many people have an educated opinion on Chukky Okobi, as he hasn't played much. I'd expect a C to possibly be taken somewhere in the front of the draft. Our Guard situation is pretty good, as Faneca is still one of the best linemen in the NFL, Kendall Simmons doing pretty well, and Chris Kemoeatu could become dominating in a few years. Our Tackle situation could get a look at. Max Starks is in his first year, and will improve, and Marvel is still as good as always, but when your backup is Barret Brooks, you might want to look into something else. Trai Essex was the only questionable draft pick the Steelers made this year, but he may come along. Not an immediate worry though.

DL - Casey Hampton will be our beast up the middle for a while, with an adequate backup known as Chris Hoke. Aaron and Kimo are excellant ends, and while Kimo is getting old, he says he still has years left in him. Even if he doesnt, Kiesel is waiting in the wings, and Kirschke is our vet backup. Long term, Eric Taylor will probably end up on the Steelers roster again, and may work his way up. No worries here.

LB - Joey Porter and Clark Haggans are pretty good OLBs, and James Harrison is looking like a future starter. Andre Frazier is impressing coaches with his Special Teams play, and will likely get his chance to move up on the Steelers depth chart. Farrior and Foote have been stuffing the run all year, and with Goo Wallace for future depth and Clint Kriedwalt as a vet backup and special teamer, the Steelers could draft a versitile LB to develop into either of these positions as nessacary, but it's 50/50 chance that'll happen

DB - Ike Taylor, Bryant McFadden, and Ricardo Colclough. All young CB's with huge potential. Deshea in there as the wily veteran, it's unlikely the Steelers will make it 4 years in a row drafting a CB. Troy is also a young DB that the Steelers traded up to get (yes, the cheap Steelers traded up for him), so he'll most likely be a Steeler Starter for years to come. Chris Hope is a pretty good FS looking to cash in next year, and it's unknown whether the Steelers will give him a long term extension, or cut him loose and draft someone to replace him. Our depth at S is not very deep, as both our backups are 6 and 9 year vets. So it's likely the Steelers draft a Safety somewhere in this draft.

ST - Jeff Reed will most likely end up as one of the top Kickers in this league in a few years. Chris Gardocki isn't getting any younger, and only when he wants to retire will he. I doubt he'll pull a Gary Anderson and go 19 years, but he is signed through the '06 season, so likely once his contract runs out, the Steelers will draft or pick up a punter to take his place. Probably not in this draft though.

That;s my opinion on what will happen in the 2006 draft. It shall be interesting, as the Steelers dont have that many weaknesses. What do you guys think.

Atlanta Dan
10-24-2005, 03:32 PM
If history is any guide, when the Steelers do not sign you before the last year of your contract and you have any skills at all that player is usually gone in free agency.

Randle El has what is still the potential to return punts and play WR (although performing both roles as you get older is unusual), and his highlight skills make me believe someone else will pay more for him than the Steelers are willing to. The knock on Hope going into the season was that he was not making more big plays, but his INT right after Ben threw his pick to start the second half yesterday arguably was the biggest defensive play of the season. Hope's stock is going up and he may be gone as well.

Bottom line is the Steelers should be looking for a big WR (thanks for nothing Fred Gibson) and linemen on both sides of the ball in the draft. If Hope leaves they may try to plug that hole through free agency; they otherwise are loaded with young talent (McFadden, Taylor & Troy) at the other DB positions.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
10-24-2005, 04:26 PM
i say they pick up a DE early in the draft. Possibly 1st or 2nd.
and pick up a running back in the other spot.
3rd round is a OL, and 4th rd a MLB
If Hope is not signed then he must be replaced in the FA, the secondary is young and we need experienced players.
5th round a quarterback...i think cutting Brian St. was a mistake.
6th round draft for a new punt returner, special teams player. (WR)
7th..... OL
I was hoping Maddux culd have been traded for a draft pick but i think he sealed that deal!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-24-2005, 04:34 PM
DE, RB, and WR on day 1.. depending on what happens w/ El. We may go after a guy like Larry Johnson in a trade via FA or the draft to help out too.

Maddox is probably done, IMO.. if Batch will stick around, I'd wanna keep him as a number 2 guy and draft a young QB if rutheford doesnt pan out in the PS.

In true Steeler fashion, we'll go for depth at LB too.. just to sure up both the inside and outside.

Okobi has been waiting his turn patiently to take over for hartings..they like chukki, but we always draft an OL or 2 to help for the future, and this coming up draft will be no different. Essex is good and we have some decent depth now, but u cant have enough good OL.

Iron City Hangover
10-24-2005, 10:39 PM
Vince Young will be a nice pick since you guys need a QB.

Koopa
10-24-2005, 10:56 PM
well vince young ain't gonna be a starter for us and he is good enough to start so we won't think about getting him, and he's gonna stay another year to get the heisman trophey.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-24-2005, 11:28 PM
Vince Young will be a nice pick since you guys need a QB.

I think the black n silver face paint has seeped into your brain... :yuck: :cool:

hmmmmmmmm
10-25-2005, 12:07 AM
Vince Young is gonna be a damn good QB wherever he goes. Itll be a shame seein him get drafted by a team like the Steelers. Just cause of the type of O they run plus id rather see him go to a Texas team (Cowboys) and the Steelers dont need one

Koopa
10-25-2005, 12:14 AM
it'll be a shame to see him win if he came here? i think the texans should draft him so he can go play at home and eat at papa (i don't know who the spell the rest of the name but you know what i mean, they say it on get ya mind correct) every day since it is his favorite restruant. and with his escape ability he can fit good with them, the cowboys already got their franchise qb in henson or romo lol. with the steelers vince might be able to come in do good but we don't need a qb that good we need a 5th round caliber qb to come in and back up big ben. i think we need to focus on the o-line and add some depth on the defensive side

hmmmmmmmm
10-25-2005, 12:29 AM
Naw he needs to go to the Cowboys and play on a decent team. I dont think he would do good with the Steelers cause Cowhers wouldnt know what to do with him. Plus, if yall draft a Qb with any of your top four picks you probably need to be slapped. A good back up can be found anywhere

Prosdo
10-25-2005, 12:29 AM
DE, RB, and WR on day 1.. depending on what happens w/ El. We may go after a guy like Larry Johnson in a trade via FA or the draft to help out too.

Maddox is probably done, IMO.. if Batch will stick around, I'd wanna keep him as a number 2 guy and draft a young QB if rutheford doesnt pan out in the PS.

In true Steeler fashion, we'll go for depth at LB too.. just to sure up both the inside and outside.

Okobi has been waiting his turn patiently to take over for hartings..they like chukki, but we always draft an OL or 2 to help for the future, and this coming up draft will be no different. Essex is good and we have some decent depth now, but u cant have enough good OL.

I can definitely see that being the first day drafts. The WR as you said pretty much kinda depends on El. Although I would like to see them get a tall WR in there.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-25-2005, 12:32 AM
I really think they'll make a run to resign El next year... he wont demand THAT much money in FA that we cant sign him... as long as he had a decent year, I think he'll wanna stay

Prosdo
10-25-2005, 12:34 AM
Yeah he really has shown a lot so far. Hopefully he will continue and stay in Pittsburgh.

Rotorhead
10-25-2005, 01:29 AM
I think/hope they retain ARE, he is getting better every year. I dont think the need for a tall receiver is needed as much as in the past as we have Heath now, which opens up mismatches for other teams in the redzone where tall receivers are needed. If we can lock up ARE with Ward and Miller and Ben for the next few years, we are going to have a potent offense, that gets more comfortable with each other, that will get better every game for years to come. We are almost to the point of an elite offense already.

clevestinks
10-25-2005, 04:29 AM

I would be surprised to see the Steelers go after a two time girlfriend beater,a.k.a.larryJohnson, but I do like his game

DE,RB,then WR, I could see this. Although I would like to see a big hitting Safety.

ironcitychef
10-25-2005, 10:52 AM
I really think they'll make a run to resign El next year... he wont demand THAT much money in FA that we cant sign him... as long as he had a decent year, I think he'll wanna stay

Bettis and Maddox money will be available then, no?

BB2W
10-25-2005, 10:53 AM
I like the DE, RB, WR selections on the first day (not necessarily in that order).

With Ike and Deshea being free agents, and this likely being Williams last season... I think there is a good chance that we do draft another corner.

Honestly, if the Steelers don't sign El... I want them to draft Michael Robinson (QB Penn State) This guy is one of the best athletes in the nation. He is big, strong, fast, and smart he graduated from PSU in 3 1/2 years with a 3.75 GPA... I think he will be the next college QB converted to WR, and I bet he will be the best. He started like 5 games at RB, and 7 at WR, and now he is our full time QB. He would have played QB earlier but PSU had noone to hand the ball to or throw it to. He has a cannon for an arm and could be an emergency QB in the NFL. He is such a great footbal player (ala Hines Ward), and is very exciting with the ball in his hands. if he can avoid the hype that surrounded El and Matt Jones we will be able to get him later in the draft, and what a steal it would be...

I will be starting a draft Mike Robinson petition at the end of the season. :grin:

51JetsfaninPa51
10-25-2005, 09:12 PM
OK this is an easy one, our OL is real good, your Qb situation is great, your WR are ALRIGHT, but you guys need a RB. I dont think Willie Parker is real I also think you guys need a CB bad.

Koopa
10-25-2005, 09:17 PM
why do we need corners? just cause they don't get a lot of ints? they still doing a great job and they are underrated. we don't really need a running back yet, willie hasn't proven he's the for sure number one back for the future but he hasn't proven he can't be that for us either. he's growing and he's doing good for the number of carries he's getting. the ol is good for now but they are getting older so that's going to be a need on the first day of the draft

Iron City Hangover
10-26-2005, 08:15 AM
The Steelers will not need anything. They are going to win the next 5 Super Bowls.

slashsteel
10-26-2005, 09:05 AM
I don't think Ike will be going anywhere, any time soon.... We will re-sign him.

Steel - X
10-26-2005, 09:21 AM
ITS WEEK 8 - Stop talking about the draft we are not the Browns! We are still in this.

TasmanianTroy271
10-26-2005, 02:11 PM
I wasn't saying it like "oh well, lets see what we can do next season, we've tanked this one". I was saying it like, ok, it's week 8, we can see where we might need to improve next year and what we could draft. It might be just me, but I love the draft, seeing young guys come in and rooting for the 6th and 7th rounders...

Steel - X
10-26-2005, 02:31 PM
Just meesing around man I know you were trying to get something to talk about I was just throwing in my lines. Trying to be funny I guess

TasmanianTroy271
10-26-2005, 06:33 PM
It's all good in the hood, Steel-X, easily forgiven. Though, jad JetsFan or IronCityHangover said it, I wouldnt be so forgiving... :P

BigBen2WardPITT
10-26-2005, 06:34 PM
anyone that says we are going to take a QB in the draft is stupid, why would be? at any time!! We like vets as backups, and that will continue. Batch and anothedr younger veteran will be our backups.

tony hipchest
10-26-2005, 06:43 PM
anyone that says we are going to take a QB in the draft is stupid, why would be? at any time!! We like vets as backups, and that will continue. Batch and anothedr younger veteran will be our backups.
alot of draft experts and gm's believe you should take a late round qb (if not earlier) every year. steelers drafted tee martin in the 6th round in 2000 when he won the national title that p. manning couldnt...... next qb selected in the 6th round was tom brady.

tony hipchest
10-26-2005, 06:47 PM
but you are right about vets as back ups. been hasnt even played the position long enough to start being a mentor and tutor. he dont even need to worry about that in the next few years. it would be like asking eli manning or carson palmer to start teaching somebody. and everyone knows there isnt any competition in training camp with these guys.

Suitanim
10-26-2005, 06:52 PM
OL first round is probably gonna be the way they go. The Steelers are starting to draft like the Eagles do...they anticipate what players will be washed up or FA's that they aren't willing to pay top dollar for and draft accordingly. Max Starks was an excellent example of this. I think they'll stay away from skill positions in the 1st round because the RB's and WR's even falling to very late 1st Rd positions are holding out longer and demanding more money than they are worth.

It's also interesting to note that the NFL Players Association will be looking at trying to institute some kind of rookie cap like the NBA has in place. If that happens, it will completely change the way NFL teams draft next year...

51JetsfaninPa51
11-03-2005, 03:55 PM
You guys are stupid....TGG all day.

Koopa
11-03-2005, 04:11 PM
we're stupid? you the one rooting for the jets

Prosdo
11-03-2005, 04:44 PM
Just ignore him. He is a troll looking for attention lol